(Topic ID: 197297)

Can a headphones socket be connected to 2 speaker terminals on a MMr?

By rogerdodger

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mountaingamer
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi Guys:

A friend wants to add a headphone socket to his MM remake. Nobody is making a kit for this at the moment. He doesn't need volume control for the headset and doesn't need the game speakers to cut out when the headphones are plugged in.

Would you electronics experts know if he can just connect the headphone socket to the 2 terminals on one of the backbox speakers, without damaging anything?

Thanks so much.

#2 2 years ago

Bump. Anyone?

#3 2 years ago

I'm currently researching how to do a headphone mod on my NASCAR.

From what I can tell, the existing kits act like a "splice" into the speaker output wires. They also don't have any active (powered) components, so anything there is probably just to knock the volume down.

The sound amp should tolerate something piggybacking off a speaker. I think there's more risk in turning up the volume too loud and frying the headphones than there is damaging the sound board.

Probably a good idea to put some resistors in-line with the headphones to knock the volume down... Looks like 100 to 220 ohms is recommended for these kind of conversions.

#4 2 years ago

not sure how many ohms headphones are, but I believe it would lower the resistance and maybe put a higher load on the amp.... just a guess

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside