(Topic ID: 156783)

Can a connector be added between head & cab?

By Topher5000

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I've got connectors coming from GPE to do some work on my Raven, sys80b. I was going to pull the head's wiring harness out, but it continues on into the cabinet & I don't want to pull every connector.
Has anyone added a connector between the head & cab of a sys80b? If it can be done, what type of connector would I need? I haven't bothered counting wires yet. I thought I'd first see if it could be done or if it's not recommended.

#2 8 years ago

Anything can be done.

But do you really want another connector, potential source of problems, in line with all the other connectors ?

LTG : )

#3 8 years ago

Yeah, I know, but crimping all those Molex crimps while standing at the side of the game's gonna be a pain. I really don't want to have to pull the whole harness out.
Have you ever had to do this Lloyd? What did you do?

#4 8 years ago

hey. I have a broken Raven too. Do you mind sharing what is going on? I am over my head on mine.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

Have you ever had to do this Lloyd?

No.

And if I had to do it, I wouldn't.

LTG : )

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Topher5000:

I've got connectors coming from GPE to do some work on my Raven, sys80b. I was going to pull the head's wiring harness out, but it continues on into the cabinet & I don't want to pull every connector.
Has anyone added a connector between the head & cab of a sys80b? If it can be done, what type of connector would I need? I haven't bothered counting wires yet. I thought I'd first see if it could be done or if it's not recommended.

You shouldn't have to put a connector in. If you disconnect the connectors for the boards in the head, that should take care of pretty much everything.

Like LTG says, adding a connector you don't really need simply introduces a new point of failure.

#7 8 years ago

Besides even the new point of failure, I feel like you'd spend more time adding a connector here than you'd spend just removing and re-connecting the cables when you need to disassemble it. How often are you really taking the head off where you need to save 60 seconds doing this?

#8 8 years ago

Yeah, good points. I don't think I'll bother pulling the whole harness out & just do it at the pinball game. The hard part's removing the old crimps, but since I'm using new ones I don't have to & it should go pretty quick.
Nate1981s, the problem I'm having is no sound. Actually, I'm getting sound now, but it's real low & it's wrong. Hopefully the new connectors fix it.
If you check out my 'no sound' thread, you'll see what another pinsider, Erak, did to my game & what I've tried since.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-a-connector-be-added-between-head-cab and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.