(Topic ID: 199728)

Can a cement resistor go open when warm?

By patrickvc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by patrickvc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

11312918253 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider patrickvc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Here's my issue. I replaced failed resistors on the controlled lamp column. Everything works when the game is started cold. After a few minutes one of the columns goes out. If I press on the resistor in question I can get it the lights to light up. Bad connection on the board? I thought so since the area is prone to heat damage. I ran the resistor wire through the holes on the board and soldered directly to the transistor leads on both sides of the resistor. Thought maybe bypassing the traces on the board all together. Nope still does it. Now where I messed up initially was I installed the resistor right down to the board. I decided after reflowing the solder thinking I had a cold joint didn't fix it maybe the resistor needs airflow underneath so I raised it to allow proper ventilation. Is it possible the amount of time it was right to the board weaken the resistor itself? Could leds in the inserts cut down on the heat generated? Is there a better idea? Any help would be appreciated. I know it's a temp issue. Works great cold. Gets problematic after heating up. Thanks

#4 6 years ago

The main mpu driver. It is the top resistor 27 ohm 5 watt controls lamp column. If i press on the resistor it will work. Sometimes it will work for 10 minutes and just when I think I've got it well I don't. I've reflowed every thing in that area. Another note is there was battery damage and that resistor located under the battery area. All has been cleaned. I've followed and checked all trace continuity with my dmm. I'm thinking it's the resistor. Pressing on it and moving just that component with pressure resolves my problem

#5 6 years ago

If it does go out can I clip a alligator wire across the resistor to bypass very briefly and if it works with no pressure it's sure to be internal

#7 6 years ago

Trust me this has been well investigated. I've double and triple checked. Reflowed everything. I'm leading toward installing a new one and see. They aren't expensive

#9 6 years ago

I will guys thanks

#10 6 years ago

So far working good no problems. I found a problematic resistor 4 resistors down with cold solder joints. Time will tell but looking good so far

#14 6 years ago

Well I spoke too soon. Still having the same issue. I do think I found it. It is the last row in the matrix q87 I think. 5 inches away from where I thought. I think it is a diode, but not from a cold solder joint. Internally I think the diode is cracked. If I barely touch the diode the lights go off and on. There are 2 in that area. We'll see I guess

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider patrickvc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-a-cement-resistor-go-open-when-warm?tu=patrickvc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.