(Topic ID: 219298)

Can a broken wire on a spinner be replaced? The answer is yes.

By cottonm4

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6988 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7104 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7160 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7158 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7152 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7167 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7165 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7098 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7123 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7121 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7116 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7113 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7104 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6972 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

This subject has been addressed on an old post. I'm going to link the post and start new.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-there-a-way-to-add-wire-on-spinner#post-3722534

I have a Gottlieb Snow Derby I am working on and one of the wires on one of the spinners broke off at the edge of the spinner. I have some spare spinners but I don't have one with the checker board pattern.

First, what I did was to drill a hole into the side of the spinner with a small hand drill and some jewelers drill bits.

To make the "Z" bend in the .047 piano wire I have I did not use a wire bender. I figured out how to make my bends with a pair of alligator vise grips.

IMG_6972 (resized).JPG

The problem for me with making the "Z" bend and then trying to install the bent wire into the drilled hole was getting the wire in the right position before I bonded it into the spinner. The advantage of using vise grips to make your bends as opposed to using a wire bender tool is that you can bond in a nice long straight piece of wire and then bend it to what you need after the installation.

I used a piece of straight wire.

After I drilled into the spinner as deep as I could I proceeded to bond the wire. What I finally wound up doing is bonding in the straight piece of wire that was long enough to give some working room. My epoxy of choice is PC-11. But I suppose JB Weld or any other 2-part epoxy will work just as well.

IMG_7104 (resized).JPG

After my bond sat for 48 hours to cure, I started making my bends. Again. for making my bends all I used was a pair of alligator vise grips. I have two pairs of alligator vise grips. One pair has a wider nose. I used the pair with the narrower nose.

IMG_7113 (resized).JPG

Then I clipped off the excess.

IMG_7116 (resized).JPG

The spinner is installed and is working good.

Here it is at rest.

IMG_7121 (resized).JPG

And after I gave it a spin.

IMG_7123 (resized).JPG

Eventually, I want to buy one of those wire benders but for .047 diameter wire my vise grips seem to be working OK for me

#2 2 years ago

Nice job. Thx for posting, very nice explanation and photos.

#3 2 years ago

Wow very nice! I thought for sure the only way to fix it would be to drill out the welds between the spinner halves and replace the wire.

I'll have to give this a try.

#4 2 years ago

Are you drilling out the actual wire bit that’s left in there?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

Are you drilling out the actual wire bit that’s left in there?

There is no wire left in there. I always thought the wire went inside the two spinner halves and came out the other side. It does not.

Instead, the wire travels up one side of the spinner, then bends around and comes down on the other side. The wire is locked in each side of the spinner by being staked in.

I am not home in front of my computer right now. I'll post more pics when I get home.

#6 2 years ago

Look closely at this pic. I used a small piece of wire to lift the spinner wire from its channel.

IMG_7098 (resized).JPG

The wire looks like this

IMG_7165 (resized).JPG

At both sides of the spinner, at the arrow points, the wire dips in a little bit. And then both edges of the spinner has been pinched to lock the wire into the spinner. I do not know how the wire is being locked in across the top of the spinner. This Gottlieb checkerboard spinner is hard to find and I did not want to press my luck.

IMG_7167 (resized).JPG

However, I am going to take a junk spinner apart and see what exactly holds the wire in place all of the way across. I think I can make a complete replacement wire just using my narrow nose alligator vise grips. I use the grips on the right hand side as the narrow nose gives me more room to work and make small "Z" bends.

IMG_7152 (resized).JPG

First thing to do is make a 90 degree bend. This is .047 piano wire ( This hand job will not work on larger wire and a wire bender will be needed).

IMG_7158 (resized).JPG

After the 90 degree bend, the other side is pulled in the opposite direction and you now have a "Z" bend. This how I bent the straight piece of wire that I bonded into the spinner.

IMG_7160 (resized).JPG

Using these same vise grips is how I bent my bonded wire into proper configuration. The reason for the narrow nose vise grips is that the fatter nosed grips will make the "Z" bend too large which would cause the wire(s) on both sides if the spinner to not be on the same axis.

You would not be able to make this "Z" bend on a wire bender as the spinner would get in the way of the bending apparatus.

IMG_7104 (resized).JPG

IMG_6988 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 22.50
    Magazines/books
    Pinball Magazine
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 249.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    Cabinet Parts
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 279.00
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 104.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside