(Topic ID: 255152)

Can a bad warming resistor short flasher?

By topkat

14 days ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by topkat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

zzz (resized).jpg
E96847CF-CE92-4810-9E2D-C805F6C33D1E (resized).jpeg
6CA9FD09-79BE-4887-9327-F851BE8F4FCD (resized).jpeg

#1 14 days ago

Only thing left on my grand lizard is the 3 bank flasher doesn’t work. I changed bulb , checked the small board for loose wires.
It looks intact. There are two resistors on it can a bad resistor cause it not to work?

6CA9FD09-79BE-4887-9327-F851BE8F4FCD (resized).jpegE96847CF-CE92-4810-9E2D-C805F6C33D1E (resized).jpeg
#2 14 days ago

One resistor is the warming resistor, the other resistor is the voltage dropping resistor. If the dropping resistor is open the lamp won't work.

#3 14 days ago

Thanks for the reply. I know what to check next then.

#4 14 days ago

Check for continuity on the orange wire, the solder doesn't look too good.

#5 14 days ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

Check for continuity on the orange wire, the solder doesn't look too good.

Will check that too..ty
My thinking is the orange and red are power and the white purple is the cpu control ?

#6 13 days ago
Quoted from topkat:

My thinking is the orange and red are power and the white purple is the cpu control

Red is B+ power. Orange always connects flasher to the dropping (big 5 ohm 10 watt) resistor. Black wires are tied to ground and the warming resistor. Brown/yellow wire goes to the CPU to turn on the flashers. To test the flasher jumper the brown/yellow to the black and the flashers will light if the bulbs and the resistor are good.

#7 13 days ago

Does the resistor on the board control both of the flashers in the photo? that are tied in with the yellow?
And thanks. I will use that to test them

#8 13 days ago
Quoted from topkat:

Does the resistor on the board control both of the flashers in the photo?

Yep.

#9 13 days ago

Remember these flashers are in series! If either bulb is bad then neither bulb will work.

#10 13 days ago

I think I tried new bulbs in both.. but will make sure. I will check the resistor and the solder joint as well

#11 13 days ago

Briefly connect a jumper from red to green, bulbs will light if bulbs and resistor are good. If you think the resistor is bad then briefly connect the jumper from yellow to green, if they light then the resistor is bad.

zzz (resized).jpg
#12 13 days ago

Thanks. Even I can’t mess that up
Do I need to be in the test mode, testing that flasher to Do that or just with power on?

#13 13 days ago

As it think about it must be just power

#14 13 days ago

Yeah just power as the jumper is bypassing the CPU board.

#15 7 days ago

Ok. So both bulbs
Light when I jumped red to green. They also light green to yellow.
Does that point to a tip on the board. ?

#16 7 days ago

Now it’s working. I don’t get it must be one of the solder joints as pointed out as well. All I did was move things

#17 7 days ago

Could be the big resistor is cracked internally. Started working again after moving it around, but it will stop working again after a while.

#18 7 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Could be the big resistor is cracked internally. Started working again after moving it around, but it will stop working again after a while.

I ordered new resistors. Will replace to be safe. Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Syracuse, NY
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton , FL
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fredonia, NY
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside