(Topic ID: 89306)

Can a backglass be too good?

By Pinbee

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Hypothetical question....if your 70's EM has a decent playfield with a little touched-up paint around the kick-outs and pop bumpers, and a decent cabinet, but a trashed backglass, would you install a NOS never-used backglass if you could find one? Or is this, as my old uncle says, putting a " ribbon on a hog"?

#2 9 years ago

If I was planning on keeping it more than a year or so then yeah ribbon up that hog.

It would only compel more work and more money to make it all look nice though.

I would not do it if I could find a cheaper and better than mine used one. And would only change out if flaking all artwork. Mild light show throughs and I would leave it if the rest is players condition.

#3 9 years ago

Depends, Do you like the machine and intend to keep it for a long time

If you answered yes to both then add another yes to a New Backglass

Ken

#4 9 years ago

Subjective. How much do you like the pinball. I would do it if that era were my thing I suppose.

#5 9 years ago

Totally up to the individual, but assuming you like the artwork and you have the money - why not? Regardless of the playfield condition, the backglass is a major aesthetic feature of a game and who wants to look at a crappy one if you don't have to?

- Tim

#6 9 years ago

If you could comfortably afford it, why not? I personally try to make the best machine that I can with new, reproduction, or rebuilt parts that I can. I had a really bad BSD that I have been bringing back to life, and every part no matter how small improves the finished product. A backglass is a big part of a game. Its like a trailer for a movie. If the hypothetical backglass does not increase the value or overall appearance of the machine, (and I can't see how it wouldn't,) at the very least it would be worth something as a stand alone NOS piece that would have value if you decided to sell it seperately.

#7 9 years ago

The backglass on an EM is a very important image part of the pin. I have played pins with out the backglass. But unless the price was very low I would not buy a pin without it.

#8 9 years ago

Any backglass is better than no back glass
    Repo's are affordable
    If I could afford a NOS backglass, I could afford to buy a better example of the game

#9 9 years ago

Absolutely. I hate flaky backglasses, but that's just me.

I own seven games. Only one has the original glass in it. The rest have been replaced.

#10 9 years ago

no, it can't be "too good"...

if i can get a better one, i'm getting the better one... i put a webb repro in a machine with a cabinet that is beat to hell and a pf that has wear to the wood in several places... and i would do it again...

Quoted from EMsInKC:

Absolutely. I hate flaky backglasses, but that's just me.

that makes two of us... i freely admit to being a backglass whore...

#11 9 years ago

Not an EM, but I put a CPR repo in my totally non-deserving Earthshaker. Best part of the machine now.
    So, yeah, I would.

#12 9 years ago

Anything you can do to enhance the appearance of a game is OK in my book. It may look a little out of place, but it looks better than a flaky backglass.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Not an EM, but I put a CPR repo in my totally non-deserving Earthshaker. Best part of the machine now.
    So, yeah, I would.

I disagree. My POS Wms Swinger just got a brand new glass. It looked sooo out of place in my game room. I also paint the head-trim on 70's WMS machines. Until you get up close, the machine looks just as good as the others.

I agree on your Earthshaker - NOS glass IS the best part! (Glad you are still enjoying it).

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Glad you are still enjoying it

Hey Frank! - I love it, it's never leaving. Just needs a playfield swap and some decals to be perfect!

Also have a BGResto glass in my Williams Gulfstream that has a cabinet repaint that looks to be done by a six year old. So, I'd do it again!

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

no, it can't be "too good"...
    if i can get a better one, i'm getting the better one... i put a webb repro in a machine with a cabinet that is beat to hell and a pf that has wear to the wood in several places... and i would do it again...
    that makes two of us... i freely admit to being a backglass whore...

Make that 3. I'll take a beat up cabinet, and P/F with or without some touch ups, but a light-leaking backglass I can't stand. But I also can't stand looking at a lot of bare wood, horible planking, or really bad touch ups either.

#16 9 years ago

If the game is not a parts machine, then absolutely.

#17 9 years ago

I can't think of any reason you would not want an NOS BG if you feel the need to replace the old one. I've bought several for myself over the years.

#18 9 years ago

I did that with my Space Mission.

But I am probably going to hang onto it for a good long time since the Apollo age is my thing.

It's really up to you, but if you are oing to keep it I would do it because it is the BG that most people see when they enter a room.

And I call it "Putting Lipstick on a Pig" , but "Ribbon on a Hog" works too.

#19 9 years ago

Nice pins are often put together in stages. I would get the new backglass. Maybe in the future you find a nicer version of the same pin with no backglass, and get a great deal on it. Then sell the old pin with the old glass and "Best Ball" yourself a nicer game. You might find another owner that has a really nice pin with a marginal backglass, but still better than yours and you trade and get some cash. You never know what will become available, so snag game parts when you can...they are like gold. Put the ribbon on the hog, then start looking for a better hog. John

#20 9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like the consensus is in, and it's what I'd hoped to hear. Looks like I'll be doing some ribbon shopping at Allentown.

1 week later
    #21 9 years ago

Yep, put a ribbon on it. imo

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-a-backglass-be-too-good and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.