(Topic ID: 233867)

Can a B-11581 sound board be used in a Pinbot?

By FiatsRUs

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7A3A743D-A96A-42AC-AA33-3FF4C010BE03 (resized).jpeg
8CBA76DD-4D68-4156-A73C-42B110006D05 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FiatsRUs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have a Pinbot project that has a non-working sound board. The speach works, but there is no background music. I went to a fellow Pinsider's place and used his working Pinbot to test it as follows:

* Put all 5 of my game, sound and music roms in the working Pinbot (using all of that machine's boards) and everything worked fine.
* Put my suspect sound board in the working Pinbot and got the same result as in my machine: no music (ran the music test and started a game).
* One-by-one, swapped all of the socketed chips from working Pinbot's sound board to my sound board (still installed in the working Pinbot), with no change.
* Swapped the data cable end-to-end (it was the one with the working Pinbot). No change.
* I did the "diode test" on all of the non-socketed ICs and compared the results to those on the working sound board. All compared favorably.
* I installed new amps (2003). No change.

I am officially dead in the water with this one. I do have a known-to-be-working B-11581 from an Earthshaker. It has two ROMs installed and the Pinbot has only one at U4 on the sound. Can the 11581 be used in the Pinbot?

#3 5 years ago

Does the 11581 need to have jumpers changed to work with one ROM instead of two? The Earthshaker ROMs are at U4 and U19. The Pinbot ROM would populate only U4.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks, great info. The 11581 had two 27256 ROMs in it, thus no jumpers at W2 or W3. I placed the single Pinbot ROM at U4, installed it in the Pinbot and the music is now working as it should, but now the voice is not working! BTW, the B-11581 is a newer board that does NOT have U6/U7/U18 populated. Could that present an issue using it with an 11a?

#8 5 years ago

I flipped the cable end for end. No change. Flipped the ribbon cable also. No change. I am going to go through the original board and replace all of the chip sockets and test the board after each one is replaced to see if that is the issue with it not working. I'm running out of bullets!

#9 5 years ago

Red herring on the speech not working. I put the old sound board back in after replacing an IC socket. It still didn't work, but neither did the speech. I'll have to check what that issue is related to. Maybe I didn't get the speech ROMs properly installed when I got done with testing on the working Pinbot. I am reasonably confident that when I get that working, I will be able to use the 11581 for the music. I'll keep you informed.

#11 5 years ago

Great! I'm am confident it will all work if I can just get the speech working again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FiatsRUs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-a-b-11581-sound-board-be-used-in-a-pinbot?tu=FiatsRUs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.