By Bigbad

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F21E08CC-D6E5-496C-B9C4-F24B7FBF5AFC (resized).jpeg
    d88773a2ef58c552d52e071d740bbffa435a25c9 (resized).jpg

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Why can’t I just buy a Star Wars/gotg/bm66/ playfield install game code and put it in my aerosmith game?

#2 1 year ago

You probably can, if you can find someone selling a populated playfield for any of those. I doubt there's a business model that would entice Stern to start selling populated playfields though. I'm sure they have a few ready as replacements in the case of warranty issues, but I doubt anyone is looking to buy entire populated PF for this purpose - the artwork clash would bother any collector. I doubt anyone is looking to spend that kind of $$$ on a populated field just to just stick in storage either.

If this is something you wish to do, there's always this:

https://www.multimorphic.com/p3-pinball-platform/

#3 1 year ago

I would buy a populated Star Wars playfield for 3-4 thousand, I’d even assemble it if the didn’t want to do that

#4 1 year ago

That was the NeoGeo arcade model, buy the cabinet and just swap the game. It was also why the Jamma standard was introduced back in the day.

#5 1 year ago

I'm not sure how intercompatible they'd even be in this case, with stuff like SW's second screen, etc.

You can definitely do this on older machines though if you can find the playfields. I think someone had Family Guy and WPT playfields they'd swap out?

#7 1 year ago

I looked into this a few years ago and distributor price was $3400.00 for a wired playfield. About ten years ago from American Vending.

#8 1 year ago

Wasn't this the Heighway Plan?

#9 1 year ago

I don’t see why not it’s all the same board set the only differences are the playfield and art work, or am I wrong and the spike 2 is different between Star Wars and aerosmith

#10 1 year ago

3400 usd so it’s probably 6000 cad for some stupid reason

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

I don’t see why not it’s all the same board set the only differences are the playfield and art work, or am I wrong and the spike 2 is different between Star Wars and aerosmith

With Spike being a new system and them often changing Node boards, etc I don't think it's safe to say that they'll all be the same wiring in the cabinet. Hopefully it is, but...

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

With Spike being a new system and them often changing Node boards, etc I don't think it's safe to say that they'll all be the same wiring in the cabinet

This.. stern has had SO many revisions because of issues. Node boards are popping as it is.. now try swapping in a different playfield with a different node board and see what happens.

#13 1 year ago

Pinball 2000!

d88773a2ef58c552d52e071d740bbffa435a25c9 (resized).jpg

#14 1 year ago

Aren’t the node boards under the playfield? The board in the back box is basically the computer is my understanding, from what I understood they are all the spike 2 system, maybe I’m wrong, Star Wars aerosmith gotg and bm66 all spike 2

#15 1 year ago

Why can’t I just swap out my Cavalier for a Corvette? They’re both Chevys.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

You can, trade in the cav and get a corvette

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

So you think stern redesigns the main spike 2 board in the back box for every game?

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

This.. stern has had SO many revisions because of issues. Node boards are popping as it is.. now try swapping in a different playfield with a different node board and see what happens.

So when you open the back box in aerosmith it’s a spike 2 system, then in Star Wars it’s what spike 3? Why can’t a node board revision work on any spike 2 board? The node board uses some better parts that won’t burn out as easy so the back box board set is changed? Maybe I guess, but it sounds crazy to me

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

So you think stern redesigns the main spike 2 board in the back box for every game?

There’s more different than you think.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

So when you open the back box in aerosmith it’s a spike 2 system, then in Star Wars it’s what spike 3? Why can’t a node board revision work on any spike 2 board? The node board uses some better parts that won’t burn out as easy so the back box board set is changed? Maybe I guess, but it sounds crazy to me

Go open two spike 2 games and read off the part number on the CPU board, and make a list of every connection going to the playfield. They may be the same, but with all the revisions I'd say Spike is the least likely to be all intercompatible of any of the SS systems out there

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Go open two spike 2 games and read off the part number on the CPU board, and make a list of every connection going to the playfield. They may be the same, but with all the revisions I'd say Spike is the least likely to be all intercompatible of any of the SS systems out there

id love to open two but I only own one spike 2 game, what are the diferences i would love to do this do you own a spike 2 game and we could compare board part numbers? What were the revisions these are the questions I would love answered properly, not concerned with what you think

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

There’s more different than you think.

Where do I find this info? Can you send me a link if you have it handy? Thanks, I literally am unaware but want actual facts

#23 1 year ago

Oh hell no, you are not getting that. Modern electronics are more complicated than you think. If we tell you one revision is not compatible with another, that's fact.

#24 1 year ago

#25 1 year ago

While were on the subject, anybody got a populated Williams MM playfield they want to sell? Not the entire game, I just need the playfield as I have the cabinet already.
    John

#26 1 year ago

Other systems have already attempted this or implemented this.
    Multimophic with P3, Heighway with their games are allegedly interchangeable but not sure how practical it is.
    Pinball 2000 has a few folks reviving it which is swappable playfields for just one cabinet.

Not sure why you’re being so resistant to the facts being presented here, Stern will not stop doing anything or change anything as long as they’re seeing these profits that they’ve seen in essentially their whole tenure.

Plus there is no reason to design an interchangeable system as it is quite involved and it has only a small following which is being met and supplied by the previously mentioned companies.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

I would buy a populated Star Wars playfield for 3-4 thousand, I’d even assemble it if the didn’t want to do that

Is it an issue of trying to save space? Because if you’re spending $4000 for a populated playfield and going to the hassle of swapping it out every time you want to change games, you’d be better off spending a little more and looking for used pros on the other games.

#28 1 year ago

You can buy the manuals for the games in question although they don't really get into the board details like they used to do. But rest assured the wiring per game is pretty unique, especially with the node boards now.

#29 1 year ago

Op are you looking to save space or $$ by doing this?

#30 1 year ago

Here is my aerosmith, so your saying that Star Wars is wired different and no other stern game is wired this same way? I mean it looks to me like there is Ethernet and power going to node boards, all a node board needs is a communication line(Ethernet), and power, if your saying that every stern spike 2 game is wired different I just don’t think that’s true, power to the main board, dmd, Ethernet for node boards, and power to node boards, every board has power then Ethernet then they jumper around the playfield and there are two Ethernets (im guessing) because it’s a closed loop that way is one of the boards go down the boards there after will still work, by having an Ethernet cable going to the first board and also the last board in the system therefore if one goes down in the middle it will still be able I communicate frontwards and backwards (in a sense) what is different here in a Star Wars game other than say this board in the back box has changed please explain

F21E08CC-D6E5-496C-B9C4-F24B7FBF5AFC (resized).jpeg

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

You can buy the manuals for the games in question although they don't really get into the board details like they used to do. But rest assured the wiring per game is pretty unique, especially with the node boards now.

Please explain the difference in the spike 2 systems, I just assume you cannot and you do not know, I also do not know but I’m not claiming to

#32 1 year ago

Can't we swap playfields between different games?

Yes we can.

https://www.multimorphic.com/

#33 1 year ago

There’s different revisions of the CPU and you’ll need to swap the SD cars and load new code.

It’s a pain in the ass to save what exactly?

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

There’s different revisions of the CPU and you’ll need to swap the SD cars and load new code.
    It’s a pain in the ass to save what exactly?

Ok first your telling me it’s wired differently and rest assured they are not wired the same, now your saying there are different revisions of cpu which does not mean they are not compatible if there even is different revisions, then you state obvious things like I’ll have to load different code, like wtf are you? Can you send me a link to where it states that there are cpu revisions, not kernel updates, which is software, like where are you getting your information from cause I would like to see it cause in all honesty I’m really starting to think your either a moron or a troll and hey maybe your right but you have not backed up fuck all of your statements instead it seems like your grasping at this and that cause your clueless

#35 1 year ago

Finally now we have a proper thread!

#36 1 year ago

Lol ya we do

#37 1 year ago

I'll be showcasing the "Multi-Bally" at TPF '19. (And possibly at HAAG '18.) I should be starting the build thread in a month or two. It will play MOST Bally games and SOME Stern games from the early S/S era. Meanwhile, Gerry and the guys at Multi-Morphic are on point with the many games, one cab concept. And you would be surprised how different one machine can be from the next. Stern seems to be searching for the next better system and it will make for incompatibility issues. Good luck!

Shawn

#38 1 year ago

here's a better question.. how are we getting a populated playfield that's not aerosmith? Or is the intention to toss the cabinet and only keep the playfield / translite?

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

I mean it looks to me like there is Ethernet and power going to node boards, all a node board needs is a communication line(Ethernet), and power, if your saying that every stern spike 2 game is wired different I just don’t think that’s true, power to the main board, dmd, Ethernet for node boards, and power to node boards, every board has power then Ethernet then they jumper around the playfield and there are two Ethernets (im guessing) because it’s a closed loop that way is one of the boards go down the boards there after will still work, by having an Ethernet cable going to the first board and also the last board in the system therefore if one goes down in the middle it will still be able I communicate frontwards and backwards (in a sense) what is different here in a Star Wars game other than say this board in the back box has changed please explain

This is all ONE FUCKING SENTENCE.
    Less Spiky more help with the typy.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

This is all ONE FUCKING SENTENCE.
    Less Spiky more help with the typy.

Holy shit the grammar police, lol what is wrong with you, like you must be the life of the party with all your sweet corrections, lol get off my thread

#41 1 year ago

Thanks, I try to be.
    It ain't "your" thread Mr. Mensa.
    Annd..you just did it again. I could really give less than a fuck about yer grammar. It's yer bullshit fuck you attitude to people that YOU started a conversation with. Take that Spike board out and smack yerself in the face with it.

#42 1 year ago

Like others have said take a look at www.multimorphic.com - it’s made to be modular and you can swap over to a new game for a lot less than a populated stern playfield (and less risk of damaging boards etc too).

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Thanks, I try to be.
    It ain't "your" thread Mr. Mensa.
    Annd..you just did it again. I could really give less than a fuck about yer grammar. It's yer bullshit fuck you attitude to people that YOU started a conversation with. Take that Spike board out and smack yerself in the face with it.

Hey look you have a bullshit fuck you attitude also, we’re the same except you have an infatuation with periods lol, get off my thread

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from mjfisher:

Like others have said take a look at http://www.multimorphic.com - it’s made to be modular and you can swap over to a new game for a lot less than a populated stern playfield (and less risk of damaging boards etc too).

I appreciate your willingness to try and help me but I don’t think I’m going to make another thread in here it gets insane with people thinking they know everything and literally don’t have any information to base it on id delete this thread if I knew how, also I’m never going to use periods

#45 1 year ago

I have a populated WPT playfield that I swap into my WOF to play from time to time. I had to install double leaf switches to allow the extra two flippers to work but beyond that everything is plug and play. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to swap in the playfield and reconnect everything and then update the software via USB.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I have a populated WPT playfield that I swap into my WOF to play from time to time. I had to install double leaf switches to allow the extra two flippers to work but beyond that everything is plug and play. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to swap in the playfield and reconnect everything and then update the software via USB.

That’s incredibly impressive!

THREAD, TAKE NOTICE! THIS IS THE ANSWER YOU WANTED!
    Now we can lock it and go back about our days

#47 1 year ago

Whether you can do it or not is kind of irrelevant.

Where do you plan on getting a populated Stern playfield?

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bigbad:

Can you send me a link to where it states that there are cpu revisions

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/holy-node-board-batman-and-ghostbusters-and-aerosmith-and-star-wars/page/2#post-4096869

Quoted from Bigbad:

cause in all honesty I’m really starting to think your either a moron or a troll and hey maybe your right but you have not backed up fuck all of your statements instead it seems like your grasping at this and that cause your clueless

My my, aren't we testy. I guess we see what helping you gets us.

#49 1 year ago

He got thrown out of "his" thread. It's ours now!!!!

#50 1 year ago

This has to be a teenager...then again, my teens are much more mature.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 14.95
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 89.99
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 221.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Tilted Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 71.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside