Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Insane
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Ok, this might get long, but i want to completely explain my issue. I have a Joker Poker that i purchased 18 months ago. It wasn't working. It came with a NiWumph CPU and Driver Board, and Rottendog Power Supply installed. Also Rottendog Driver and original CPU and Driver not installed. I was able to get it working after sending the board back to Niwumph and changing the interconnect and fixing some other small issues. I took it to PATZ last year and on the first day, theAces Drops quit working and then the kings locked on and burnt the coil. Upon further inspection i found a number of oversized fuses installed (i know i should have checked them previously). So i replaced the coil, and sent the driver board back to Niwumph and it was repaired again. It has worked fine for the past year with very sparse use. I took it to PATZ again this year and on Sometime Thursday night the Aces quit again. It had worked fine for most of the day. I found the fuse blown. When i went to replace, the coil locked on. So on Friday i took the original Driver board (that i had never done anything to) and installed it to see if it would even work. It worked great. Then sometime Friday afternoon/evening i found the game turned off, so i turned it on and the aces would try to reset but wouldn't go up far enough to "latch". if i raised the PF, the would reset when on a horizontal plane. i talked with some of the experts there and they had me check the coil voltage and i was getting about 15 volts that my meter could catch, and the other coils i was getting 20. So that is why it wouldn't go all the way up. I had emailed Ace at Niwumph to see what he remembered fixing and this is what he sent me:
"If I recall correctly, it had a blown transistor, and it was replaced – though that doesn’t help you that much. I am going to assume that the FET is blown again. If the problem is light use versus heavy use, then I can guess that the problem is going to be a playfield coil diode. These FETs are great for a game, but crappy when it comes to reverse bias, and that only happens with the coil fires, and then shuts off, once the diode is damaged. My guess, is that there is a problem diode somewhere in the game, it may even be the ACES bank you mentioned, and that this is damaging the FET. The fact that it is not happening right away would mean that the reverse voltage is not that bad, so the diode might NOT be the ACES bank."
So today, i checked the transistor on the Niwumph board and it seems to be bad. I also checked the MPS-U45 and the 2N3055 Q29 and Q45 on the original board.. They both seemed to check out as good. So my question is does Aces' recommendation sound probable, also if the original driver transistors check out ok, why was i losing voltage and where? I also checked the aces coil and it measured good. I did perform the recommended ground mods to the cpu and power supply, i didn't add any ground mods to either driver board. Any thoughts?? Sorry for the novel...

#2 8 years ago

Have you done the recommended System 1 Ground Mods?

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Ground_Updates

#3 8 years ago

The coil voltage all comes from the same source so it should be the same as the other coils. I would try replacing coil diodes and check your wiring harness for solder splashes

#4 8 years ago

I had very similar problems and once I rebuilt an original system 1 driver board, and installed a new interconnect cable, it never acted up again. Are you using an original driver board with the proper ground mods performed on THAT board?

#5 8 years ago

Even aftermarket boards need ground mods

#6 8 years ago

I was originally using the Niwumph driver. I had planned on doing the ground mod to the original gottlieb one after I ended up installing it, until I could get the niwumph repaired. I was just hoping to get through the rest of the show. I will replace the coil diodes and check for splashes. it just seemed weird that the original board seems to be ok when I test it, but quit working in the game. I have done all the recommended mods as far as I remember, I will double check. I will also do the ground mod on my Niwumph. I just have to figure out where to add the ground, as my board is different than the one in the Wiki. Mine is a 2007 and doesn't have the "H2" location.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

Even aftermarket boards need ground mods

That's a different ground mod. I was referring to the mods on the lamp driver PCB, adding redundant grounds (in the pin wiki). Not the mod tying all the boards in the head together. Those are always a must, no matter what boards you go with.

From my experience, it is MUCH easier to use a properly rebuilt original system 1 lamp driver board. Much more reliable and easier to follow and troubleshoot.

You can also reference the original schematics when trouble shooting. I have seen no less than two instances where a NEW repro lamp driver board has simply not worked properly or has failed completely in a sys 1 game. Those BOTH were installed in two fully working games with no previous issues at all. I was trying to further bulletproof them and they both failed.

Since I have switched to using original, rebuilt, modified lamp driver boards, replacing the power and MPU with repro boards, I have not had a single issue on a Sys 1 game (2 Sinbads and one JP).

#8 8 years ago

I do know that Niwumph MPU does not work with Rottendog Driver board. It is a know problem. The boards, for some reason, do not like each other...
I will do the mods on the original board either way.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

I do know that Niwumph MPU does not work with Rottendog Driver board. It is a know problem. The boards, for some reason, do not like each other...
I will do the mods on the original board either way.

I just replaced a bad original driver board with a new Rottendog Driver board from Big Daddy in a sinbad and it has been fine for about 100 games. Im running the Niwumph MPU so maybe some updates have been made IDK

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

I just replaced a bad original driver board with a new Rottendog Driver board from Big Daddy in a sinbad and it has been fine for about 100 games. Im running the Niwumph MPU so maybe some updates have been made IDK

could be, i know Niwumph told me it wouldn't, and didn't when i tried it, and i was doing some internet checking and found a few sources that said the same thing. So hopefully like you said something was updated somewhere.

This is from the Niwumph web site: " Please note; Ni-Wumpf CPU's do not work with Rottendog driver boards - there is a component incompatibility with the chips on that product. If you are having issues with the tilt or game-over lamps, this is the most likely source of the problem."

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-system-1-gurus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.