Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrism.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#18 8 years ago

I ended up getting stuff from a local guy a few months back who had to BEG Steve to get his boards back. I am so very glad someone called him out - he knows nothing about electronics but was a whiz at setting up a slick web site and drawing people in. Oh, the days when he would write me and ask me technical questions so he could have an "air of knowledge" without actually having qualifications to do repair. These are the people the hobby does NOT need......

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I have nothing but respect for you, Chris, but I think this might be just a little bit over the top.
    Let's not forget that everyone starts as a novice. I don't care if you are a doctor, lawyer, mechanic, or bag boy at your local grocery store.
    We are all here because we love pinball, and think it's fair to say that we all want to learn. We have all had that person or people who was/were helpful to us along the way that we are forever grateful to - and we all have those people who did nothing to help us, perhaps even did things to hinder us, that we used for inspiration to get better at what we do.
    If it wasn't for Clay's guides, I would've quit very quickly after I bought my first pin. All I could afford was a complete POS junker that probably should've been somebody's parts machine. I couldn't figure out how to lift the playfield, and I didn't have a piece of playfield glass for the first few months I owned it.
    Now, I know the source of Clay's guides are up for debate, and I'm not gonna participate in that debate, as it serves no purpose for anyone, it's been beat to death and it's to the point where the remains are stinky.
    I sent a note to a small company in Florida - Centsible Amusements - who helped me learn how to lift the playfield. They sold me some parts - probably added up to a few hundred bucks worth of parts over the course of a few months. I was an annoying pain in their side who didn't put a lot of money in their pocket - but they helped me.
    Over the course of a few years, I learned to fix my own stuff. Yeah, I turned out some real crappy repairs along the way.
    Now, I know not everyone wants to share information, and I can appreciate that. I think I have a different take than some of the pros out there - because I only do this part time, it's not my primary source of income. I don't have to protect it.
    I'm not the best communicator in the world, but I am trying to improve. I try to do too much, but that's nobody's fault, other than mine..
    I have zero formal training in electronics - everything I do, I've learned by doing. I've made plenty of friends in this hobby, and I've enjoyed myself along the way.
    Steve's saved a lot of games. You've saved a lot of games. I've saved a lot of games. Lots of guys have saved lots of games.
    We don't all do everything the same way, we all have opinions, many of them are STRONG opinions.

John: not surprised that you would defend him being cut from the same "fabric"; just interesting that you would reply to my STRONG opinion while ignoring the actual people who are "suffering" at Steve's hands. If anyone is gonna do repair, they need to communicate well, price reasonably, turn in a decent time, and be consistent. I could have made the same statements of you BUT respect the fact that you don't exhibit these poor behaviors. And as far as "being a novice", well, pinball repair isn't packing grocery bags, period. If you wish to tear me down because of my STRONG yet HONEST opinion, so be it. I depend on you as a resource for ROMS, and freely promoted you in my board repair post. Remember that. If you choose not to support my ROM needs in the future, please let me know. Otherwise, your negative comments outweigh your positive comments about my abilities. I think how he has treated his customers is shameful, and if you did the same I'd be on the same bandwagon of "calling you out". This is where the whole "Clay" thing of "being a professional" is SUCH ABSOLUTE BS, and I've watched you buy into it. Do things his way or you're a nobody - a la "media blasting". Enough said. I'll repeat again, if you choose to continue to be a ROM resource for me is up to you. But I've NEVER cut you or your opinion down in a public forum, as a first strike. I take it personally, regardless of your "respect".

#34 8 years ago

I wrote you offline John, to share my strong opinions and not air them publicly. That is all I will say here, except that I would have rather you'd addressed the original accuser rather than my response. I hope you have not caused me harm because I do not deserve it regardless of my opinion. I've been at this for more than 15 years and have known my share of hacks and people who think they can pick up a soldering iron, solder, and wire and be "A PROFESSIONAL PINBALL TECH" by the definition of another's name I shall not mention here.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chrism.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-out-steve-kulpa?tu=chrism and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.