Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

This topic is closed.

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

There is no crime - read post above. No intent. What if Steve is in a hospital right now? Having known him from RGP days, I can say there is no way he would steal your board. I suspect something unfortunate has happened and you're a victim as well. Sit tight; someone will find out what is going on soon enough.

Certainly there is possibility of incapacity to respond though even with some of the largest surgeries and recovery, the ability to be lucid enough to respond to emails is days or 2 weeks at best. Again, my primary intent here was to get his attention since he isn't responding to anyone's email.

#52 8 years ago

Man there's alot of excuses going around here...as a small business owner myself none of them fly. If you are in business to make money then as Neo said you make provisions to take care of your customers in the face of a catastrophe. If you're out of the country (1st excuse) or you are sick (2nd excuse), or have some other hardship (catchall excuse), then have provisions in place to notify or regularly update your customers. Whether that's a relative, accountant, partner, friend, or even an auto reply on your email, at least something to keep communication flowing...don't just disappear.

I know shit happens...I lost money from pinball pal when the owner had a stroke. They still have several hundred bucks of mine and after repeated email over 2 years I gave up. That was my choice to let it go...but Noone has a right to jump on the OP and say he's a dick because he wants his board back. It's simply not right for someone who is running a business to disappear.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Man there's alot of excuses going around here...as a small business owner myself none of them fly. If you are in business to make money then as Neo said you make provisions to take care of your customers in the face of a catastrophe. If you're out of the country (1st excuse) or you are sick (2nd excuse), or have some other hardship (catchall excuse), then have provisions in place to notify or regularly update your customers. Whether that's a relative, accountant, partner, friend, or even an auto reply on your email, at least something to keep communication flowing...don't just disappear.
    I know shit happens...I lost money from pinball pal when the owner had a stroke. They still have several hundred bucks of mine and after repeated email over 2 years I gave up. That was my choice to let it go...but Noone has a right to jump on the OP and say he's a dick because he wants his board back. It's simply not right for someone who is running a business to disappear.

I wanna make it clear that I wasn't trying to call or imply that the OP is any number of names/things with my posts.

I'm literally on both sides here. I just want to convey my reasoning for not stoking the fire on some of the OP's worries with this situation.

And like I mentioned, I totally agree that everyone has to deal with life sucking. I'm just saying, some people handle it differently. You are not this Steve guy. If you can handle life's catastrophes with stride in light of keeping your business in good standing, that is an excellent thing. I applaud you, and I'm the same way in several aspects. However, maybe Steve isn't that way. My whole point of even touching on his possible personal status was to point out that people handle stuff very differently. Just like how we're having this discussion now, and it not seeing 100% eye to eye.

And all my points could be totally worthless as well. Hell, for all I know, Steve could be reading this thread right now in Joker makeup cackling at me defending him!

This really is a blurred subject though. I'm just literally trying to point out time and time again, that Steve LITERALLY LITERALLY LITERALLY addressed every. single. issue here in his post.

Has he been timely with getting stuff back to people since that? No. Did he state he would be timely? No, he literally said "there is nothing I can do at this time to improve my turnaround".

That's the part that's bugging me. Everyone just keeps skipping over the fact that Steve stated each issue people may be having dead on. He didn't avoid it. There is physical proof with digital words on a screen, typed in a seemingly pretty honest note to those who are his customers.

(Again, this is the internet, so I like to make sure people know - I'm not upset or say everyone's wrong in the thread here. I generally agree with most of you. I'm just saying I feel like everyone keeps conveniently skipping over the fact that the Steve guy already addressed everything.)

#54 8 years ago

Also, I'd like to point out that's said "literally" about 40 times in my previous post. Maybe it's time I buy a thesaurus

#55 8 years ago

I certainly didn't expect quite the feedback on this topic.... but everything aside, does anyone have a Bally 1978 sound board for sale that would work in a KISS pin?

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I certainly didn't expect quite the feedback on this topic.... but everything aside, does anyone have a Bally 1978 sound board for sale that would work in a KISS pin?

Here you can buy a repro, brand new for about 75,00 €:

https://coinop.mally.eu/produkt.php?parent=3&kategorie=7064&content=BALLY%20Repros

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I think Big Daddy Enterprises may have some... Todd often has used boards. Might give him a shot.

I don't consider these as common as a pair of socks, but there should still be plenty of them out there.

#58 8 years ago

I just talked to Steve. He has not checked email for a bit and is as he stated before, still "overwhelmed". I was a little worried about the silence so I called. He has repaired the OPs board* and will be returning it and others this week, I urged him to return what he could not repair and he said he would. The good news is for anyone that cares is it was not a health issue or tragedy in the family.

Todd

*Since he was at work, he couldn't 100% confirm, but he repaired one a few days ago he thought was for a Kiss so it sounds right.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from DrMark12PA:

This seems pretty clear that if Steve Kulpa doesn't return the boards to myself and at least one other person (Forceflow) while he has clearly a website advertising repairs, that would constitute a fraudulent scheme.
    Also, in consulting with my postmaster, any interstate mailing would constitute a federal issue because it is crossing state lines.
    While a simple sound board may not sound like a big deal, it is a big deal to me when it's an obsolete item that is technically an antique not easily replaced. I'm not going to just go away if Kulpa is planning on keeping my board. My intent on starting this topic was to hopefully flag his attention and warn anyone else to avoid him in the meantime even though it clearly appears he is no longer doing board repair. It seems he is more likely selling the boards he obtained from persons perhaps.

All advertising for repair services were taken down in December and replaced with his note about being unable to continue offering repair services. He is not currently offering repair services as far as I am aware.

I think this is way too early to consider getting authorities involved.

If someone has his number and can actually reach him via non-digital means to let him know (former) customers are becoming very concerned about the lack of response, I think that might be the best next step for the moment.

[edit]: Thanks for the update Todd, I was still writing my response by the time you posted.

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I think Big Daddy Enterprises may have some... Todd often has used boards. Might give him a shot.

I don't consider these as common as a pair of socks, but there should still be plenty of them out there.

I believe I do but hopefully the OP doesn't need one any more.

#61 8 years ago

I checked out the website and the board says:
    Usable in following games:
    BMX, Frontier, Future Spa, Gold Ball, Grand Slam, Hotdoggin’, Mystic, Nitro Ground Shaker, Rolling Stones, Silverball Mania, Skateball, Space Invaders, Speakeasy, Viking

would this also work in KISS using the Ultimate MPU board which I assume sends the game sounds to the board?

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

I just talked to Steve. He has not checked email for a bit and is as he stated before, still "overwhelmed". I was a little worried about the silence so I called. He has repaired the OPs board* and will be returning it and others this week, I urged him to return what he could not repair and he said he would. The good news is for anyone that cares is it was not a health issue or tragedy in the family.
    Todd
    *Since he was at work, he couldn't 100% confirm, but he repaired one a few days ago he thought was for a Kiss so it sounds right.

That is great news for everyone. One would hope his health was intact first and foremost. The original reason I utilized his services is everyone said he was the best at what he did.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I checked out the website and the board says:
    Usable in following games:
    BMX, Frontier, Future Spa, Gold Ball, Grand Slam, Hotdoggin’, Mystic, Nitro Ground Shaker, Rolling Stones, Silverball Mania, Skateball, Space Invaders, Speakeasy, Viking
    would this also work in KISS using the Ultimate MPU board which I assume sends the game sounds to the board?

You took the wrong board, it is the one left besides "BALLY AS-2518-50 Sound Module" ...

If you have problems ordering it there or he takes too much shipping costs, I could buy it for you and ship to the US - if you want ...

#64 8 years ago

The best thing to take from this thread is that Pinsiders always come through...from getting in touch with Steve to offering help in finding a replacement board. Well done

#65 8 years ago

Agreed ^

The Pinside community is full of differing opinions, but at the end of the day we're all here to keep pinball awesome. That's why I like this place

Glad it wasn't a health issue with Steve, and that OP should be getting his board back soon!

#66 8 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

The best thing to take from this thread is that Pinsiders always come through...from getting in touch with Steve to offering help in finding a replacement board. Well done

Now if they could only do it with less drama.

#67 8 years ago

Sometimes it takes drama to get things done, if OP didnt bring up this issue he would still be wondering how to get his board back.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from german-pinball:

You took the wrong board, it is the one left besides "BALLY AS-2518-50 Sound Module" ...
    If you have problems ordering it there or he takes too much shipping costs, I could buy it for you and ship to the US - if you want ...

Oooops! Just noticed the 2 different boards! Are these rebuilt or brand new from the board up? Has anyone had experience with them?

#69 8 years ago
    Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Oooops! Just noticed the 2 different boards! Are these rebuilt or brand new from the board up? Has anyone had experience with them?

I think, it is brand new. If you see the silkscreen on the board, it not Bally, but Mally ... so it must be a brand new repor-board.

It´s a company, you can trust.

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

Sometimes it takes drama to get things done, if OP didnt bring up this issue he would still be wondering how to get his board back.

Disagreed. Drama doesn't help, ever.

Watching grown men act like children is disappointing, at best.

I am glad this worked out for OP. Fraud sucks. Period.

In the end though, we watched a grown man over-react prematurely over unsubstantiated fantasies. I am uncertain how that helps him or anyone else.

#71 8 years ago
    Quoted from BazaarMunchkin:

Disagreed. Drama doesn't help, ever.
    Watching grown men act like children is disappointing, at best.
    I am glad this worked out for OP. Fraud sucks. Period.
    In the end though, we watched a grown man over-react prematurely over unsubstantiated fantasies. I am uncertain how that helps him or anyone else.

Helped in this case, now go crawl back under your rock.

#72 8 years ago

My wife says... Don't freak out (or accuse) until you know. Knowing is far from thinking or assuming. I wish everyone would be slow to judge or think the worst. Lighten up. All drivers have "pulled out in front of someone." Including me. So, do I freak out when someone does it to me? No. Ok, not the best analogy for this thread, but still....

#73 8 years ago

My dealings w/Steve were all good. He never did any repairs for me but was a huge help. Even sent me some parts for free. Answered my questions. I saw where he could no longer do repairs. He has his reasons whatever they may be. Sorry if he still has someone's stuff to be repaired. He was always cool to me, and he didn't know me from Adam................

#74 8 years ago

I received and email from Steve. He apologized for dropping the ball and said that any boards he had not already started working on, he would be returning in the next couple days.

#75 8 years ago
    Quoted from jadziedzic:

Boilerplate blurb from Web sites of several lawyers specializing in defense of mail fraud charges:
    "In order to obtain a conviction of mail or wire fraud, prosecutors have to prove a knowing and willful intent to defraud. Accidental or unintentional actions that result in the loss of money or property do not constitute a crime."

Just ask the Jpop and Skit-B victims. I'm sure they feel the OP's pain, times a thousand. AFAIK no DAs were interested in pursuing criminal charges and those guys raked in huge piles of cash. Suggesting such action be taken over one board is just plain silly.

#76 8 years ago

Just received an email from Steve. He has finished the board and apologized for the delay. Thanks for all the comments, support, and assistance here in the meantime.

#77 8 years ago

Not that my opinion matters, but I have dealt with Steven for 10 yrs now without any issues. He is a stand up guy and I know will do what he can to make things right.

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Just received an email from Steve. He has finished the board and apologized for the delay. Thanks for all the comments, support, and assistance here in the meantime.

To respond to the PM you sent me...

They made 17,000 Kiss pins, plus however many other that use the same sound board. It is not "rare" or "irreplaceable". The board you sent to Steve was broken, so, yes, it is worth not much. For you to expect the police and the district attorney to waste ANY of their time on a broken $10 or $50 circuit board that you hadn't received back from the person to whom you sent it for repair is naive, at best.

Yes, "fraud is fraud", but this isn't fraud and you got a heartfelt, honest explanation, promise, and apology from Steve BEFORE you came here dialing 911 like Jpop hit you for $10,000. Yes, "fraud is fraud", but it is just like speeding. If you got pulled over for doing 100 in a 30, the cop will drop the donut and run you down. If you were doing 31 in a 30, he's got better things to do. But it was "speeding" in both instances.

Steve Kulpa is one of the good guys in the hobby. He has been helping people as a hobby, not as a business for probably 10 years. The RGP crowd thought so much of him a few years ago that a fundraiser spontaneously broke out when he explained a bad situation that happened to his sister. So, yeah, I got sideways with the approach you took with a long-time good guy over a busted sound board. Steve probably hasn't read this thread, but I'm going out on a limb and bet that he fixes it, and fixes it for free, and sends it to you for free.

And I'll also bet that if he does, you won't send him $50 as a thank you.

#79 8 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisM:

I wrote you offline John, to share my strong opinions and not air them publicly. That is all I will say here, except that I would have rather you'd addressed the original accuser rather than my response. I hope you have not caused me harm because I do not deserve it regardless of my opinion. I've been at this for more than 15 years and have known my share of hacks and people who think they can pick up a soldering iron, solder, and wire and be "A PROFESSIONAL PINBALL TECH" by the definition of another's name I shall not mention here.

Those of us who fix our own games know its not that hard dude, get off the high horse.

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisM:

I wrote you offline John, to share my strong opinions and not air them publicly. That is all I will say here, except that I would have rather you'd addressed the original accuser rather than my response. I hope you have not caused me harm because I do not deserve it regardless of my opinion. I've been at this for more than 15 years and have known my share of hacks and people who think they can pick up a soldering iron, solder, and wire and be "A PROFESSIONAL PINBALL TECH" by the definition of another's name I shall not mention here.

So I read John's polite responses to you multiple times and cannot imagine what could have set you off. Talk about over reacting. The only thing that might have "caused you harm" is that you appear to be such an over reactor blowing nothing into something huge that I would be scared to deal with you. Lol. How can you go from his polite response and discussion about himself to "if you choose not to do business with me because of this" and such. Just wow.

#81 8 years ago

Folks, let's not pile on ChrisM. It's obvious that there are other things going on that we're not privy to, so it's probably best to leave it alone for now. Thanks

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Folks, let's not pile on ChrisM. It's obvious that there are other things going on that we're not privy to, so it's probably best to leave it alone for now. Thanks

Thats cool, but being a dick on the internet only invites dick responses.

#83 8 years ago

Nothing to add here besides wisefwumyogwave has the GREATEST username I've ever seen. Carry on!

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

To respond to the PM you sent me...
    They made 17,000 Kiss pins, plus however many other that use the same sound board. It is not "rare" or "irreplaceable". The board you sent to Steve was broken, so, yes, it is worth not much. For you to expect the police and the district attorney to waste ANY of their time on a broken $10 or $50 circuit board that you hadn't received back from the person to whom you sent it for repair is naive, at best.
    Yes, "fraud is fraud", but this isn't fraud and you got a heartfelt, honest explanation, promise, and apology from Steve BEFORE you came here dialing 911 like Jpop hit you for $10,000. Yes, "fraud is fraud", but it is just like speeding. If you got pulled over for doing 100 in a 30, the cop will drop the donut and run you down. If you were doing 31 in a 30, he's got better things to do. But it was "speeding" in both instances.
    Steve Kulpa is one of the good guys in the hobby. He has been helping people as a hobby, not as a business for probably 10 years. The RGP crowd thought so much of him a few years ago that a fundraiser spontaneously broke out when he explained a bad situation that happened to his sister. So, yeah, I got sideways with the approach you took with a long-time good guy over a busted sound board. Steve probably hasn't read this thread, but I'm going out on a limb and bet that he fixes it, and fixes it for free, and sends it to you for free.
    And I'll also bet that if he does, you won't send him $50 as a thank you.

AWESOME!!!!

OP,..... rebuttal?

QSS

#85 8 years ago

This thread has reached its resolution.

Steve has reached out to the OP and all is well now.

Closing this thread.

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-out-steve-kulpa/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.