(Topic ID: 312170)

Calling Hawaiians pinsiders, how is life there ?

By adol75

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by adol75
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mama's (resized).jpg
B3DC7AC0-1741-4C8F-944D-620B7D085073 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gandamack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

sounds like a dream to live someplace where it's 79 degrees

I agree the weather is nice, but a lot of folks I know who move there full-time often regret it. Some of the reasons:

1. Traffic is horrible in certain areas coupled with most cars driving a minimum of 30 mph under the speed limit (in the left lane).
2. Everything is expensive. Everything.
3. The "Haole" factor. (pronounced how-lee). Means that you are not a local islander (and at some point will be treated as such).
4. Many people taking the ethos of "moving at island time/pace)" to a whole new level. Do not expect services to be provided with any remote sense of punctuality. Everything is slowed way, way down. Can be cool for a bit (especially when escaping the rat race), but after awhile it simply becomes annoying.

With that said, I recommend visiting for a nice holiday. But as for full-time living.....?

#20 2 years ago

Some folks also prefer Molokai because nobody goes there. Perhaps it is the " Welcome to Molokai, now please leave" sign which greets you as you leave the airport...er airfield.

#24 2 years ago

Personally, I would continue past Hawaii a few more hours and visit the real South Pacific: French Polynesia, Tahiti, Fiji, Marqueseas, Vanuatu, etc.
The nature in Hawaii is beautiful, but you have to remember that it is in the US and with that comes the not so quaint restaurants in a strip mall atmosphere which has destroyed the islands. Honestly, I would rather not see a Costco, Kmart and TGI Fridays in some tan stucco shopping center. But to each their own.

#26 2 years ago

Thanks for the article. Very interesting.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gandamack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-hawaiians-pinsiders-how-is-life-there-?tu=gandamack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.