(Topic ID: 312170)

Calling Hawaiians pinsiders, how is life there ?

By adol75

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by adol75
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mama's (resized).jpg
B3DC7AC0-1741-4C8F-944D-620B7D085073 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adol75.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Long story short, we live in the bay area, got offered a crazy amount of money to leave our house. While considering all kind of options (Las Vegas, Georgia, SC, Texas) that fit our bill (sun, warm, nice family suburb, outdoor life), Hawaii keeps coming top of the list.

I work remotely so local job market isn't so relevant to us, we make a decent living for California so while I am planning on saving on property tax, and as it seems cost of living is equivalent I'm not concerned about money.

I know it's a pinball desert there, but I would coming with mines, eventually jump on the opportunity to throw a few more in the container.

Let me know how is life there, the good, the bad, the ugly, I'll take it all !

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Make sure you do your homework, a lot of these grifter companies try to screw the crap out of you with these cash offers

My buyers are just people from San Francisco who used google street view as a realtor website !

Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Love visiting Maui, think I'd go nuts living there tho.

Why ? That's exactly what I want to know

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I’d drop SC from the list, and I’d add Boise, Charlotte and Raleigh to the list. Dallas, Austin, Atlanta, Boise, Charlotte and Raleigh all have similar weather. Warm seven months of the year, and five months of mild winters. I suggest google searching major cities weather by month.

If you call Boise mild then we probably don't have the same definition of mild ! I go skiing not far from there in December and it's freezing as hell.
I find NorCal where I am to be mild, my problem here is that it's always cold at night. I think last summer there were only 5 days where we stayed out past sunset.

#43 2 years ago

Thank you everyone, this is all super useful. My wife was happy with the price they offered us but I had to interject that Hawaii is a pinball desert so I needed to add a pinball budget for a decent collection, well more like DECENT ! So I added my budget and am now waiting for my happy buyers to tell me to go F*** myself
So if you see a dozen wanted ads popping tomorrow you will know what happened.

I do see prices are very similar to SF however property tax is way lower in Hawaii so thats a big save for us, actually enough to send the kids to private schools which seems to be the only way to get proper education. Income tax is also slightly lower, although I do day dream about Nevada but I'm more concerned about my kids safety probably my highest priority in where we end up going.

We have two dogs, who are family so they are not staying behind for sure, it does look challenging to bring dogs, the quarantine rule is a bit unclear but I'm not excited to leave them both in a quarantine center for 4 months.

Starting to look around for houses, it does look crazy but actually less than what we have here where bidding wars can double an asking price without any connection to reality.

More to come later, I have been learning a lot on the way, definitely appreciate the feedback.

1 week later
#44 2 years ago

Epilogue, I was to greedy

No pinballs for me, and no Hawaii for now !

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adol75.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-hawaiians-pinsiders-how-is-life-there-?tu=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.