(Topic ID: 350423)

Calling for play experiences with Elton John (on location)

By Veemonroe

4 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 months ago

I was at LondonEAG for a few hours this week and really really enjoyed Elton John. Unfortunately, I was only able to get in a couple of games while there.

I wondered if anyone had played Elton John long enough on location to know if it gets boring? It's lovely, and fun to shoot, but I'm just a bit worried that the rules get tedious.

For background, I've vaguely fancied a JJP for some time, but I find:

Wizard of Oz pretty boring (slow and cluttered);
The Hobbit I enjoy but am told it's a bit of a slog if you own one (the reason I sold LoTR);
Dialed In, I like, but never enough to buy one (possibly theme);
I haven't played Wonka, but don't like the theme.

I really like Guns n' Roses - or, at least, the ones that have been set up by tournament players to make it tough to get multiballs. However, I don't like the music, don't like the incoherent inserts, and have been steered off by the bad reviews saying it gets boring. Obviously, I was very excited to play Elton John. I don't mind the music, and it felt like a smoother shooting version of Guns n'Roses that had sensible lighting, great pinball moments, and didn't need adjustments to be good fun.

I play in tournaments, but am not very good. I like street-level machines that take no prisoners (we own TNA) and the more serious-play-focused Sterns (e.g. Jurassic Park). I own Godzilla and an AFM set up hard, plus two actual classics (Centaur and an Alien Poker under restoration).

I know the rule is to buy JJPs second-hand, but my understanding is no one likes the theme on EJ, so there probably won't be many on location here in the UK and I'm unlikely to easily pick one up second hand. Thus, if I buy it, it's going to have to be new and, if I grow to hate it, I'm stuck with it.

1 week later
#2 3 months ago

I ordered a CE in November, cannot wait to get it home. I have played the game for a few hours at my local pinball arcade. I try to stay away as I am waiting for the CE to be made.

There is a lot to do, so many combo’s to achieve. Many Milestone awards to get. Each song having wardrobe challenges, I don’t see me tiring of the game anytime soon. The champ multiball is so cool, also each soundstage is a blast to play.

When you get the “Rocket Man” multiball the light show is insane. The sound package is incredible. I don’t think that there will be any regrets.

#3 3 months ago

We’ve got Elton John on location at our local, and we are all still in love with it after a few weeks. It’s universally popular among all of our players, and weirdly enough, gets tougher the more you follow the rules and learn the lights. Definitely not a long playing game, and ours is set roughly to factory.

#4 3 months ago

Whereas GF hype is all but dead and Toy Story is still slaying everything in the room, including Godzilla

1 month later
#5 74 days ago

EJ is a great game. Played it in Los Angeles at AYCE Bulgogi. Incredible spot for all you can eat Korean BBQ and about 20+ pins if you haven’t been.

I found myself loading quarters into it, and thankfully, the speakers were turned up. Incredible sound system on this one. Considering buying one but waiting for the collectors edition to come out before I make the call on Platinum s CE.

#6 74 days ago

I played a couple games on location with him...he was a little tipsy, kept grabbing my ass but I still had a good time. Nice guy.

#7 74 days ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I played a couple games on location with him...he was a little tipsy, kept grabbing my ass but I still had a good time. Nice guy.

#8 74 days ago

IMO it's JJP's best pin to date.

#9 73 days ago

It's the first JJP that i think im going to buy i love elton john and it's easily there best pin to date. And the flippers for the first time feel strong and i feel like im playing a stern.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.50
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

7,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 16.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Juz PINBALL Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Saint Charles, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brewer, ME
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-for-play-experiences-with-elton-john-on-location?hl=veemonroe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.