Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Stretch7
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

circuit.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Here is what I have.... A stand alone solenoid that is triggered with a switch but what I would like to do is delay power to the solenoid by a second after switch is hit ....is this easy to accomplish and how?

#2 8 years ago

You'll need an "on delay" circuit, which would use a diode, resistor, and capacitor. The timing will depend on the value(s) of these components, but unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with them to design a circuit like this from scratch. Additionally, the timing wouldn't be exactly perfect depending on temperature, but should be close enough. If you need exact timing, you would probably need a circuit with a 555 timer IC and crystal oscillator.

#3 8 years ago

Ok I don't need an exact delay but something from .5-2.5 seconds would be good enough.
    Maybe someone could chime on A simple design for this?

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

Ok I don't need an exact delay but something from .5-2.5 seconds would be good enough.
    Maybe someone could chime on A simple design for this?

I can help you. I just need specs on the load.

#5 8 years ago

Ok what do you need for specs... Just the voltage?

#6 8 years ago

Voltage & amperage/draw

#7 8 years ago

Need more information on the application... do you want the solenoid to latch on? Will the solenoid be held on by holding the switch like a flipper? How long will the solenoid stay on? What power supply do you have available? AC or DC? Specs on the solenoid? Are you driving the solenoid with a transistor or direct through the switch? What is the application? What are you trying to do with this solenoid?

Mac

#8 8 years ago

Im trying to do a slight mod on a System 80 game.... It is 25v dc power source that is connected direct through a switch . Basically right now i have positive connected to coil and and negative through switch. What I'm trying to achieve is a delay of a second to give the ball time to settle in its place before it is kicked out...right now it kicks it out in the right direction 50 percent of the time because the ball doesnt get to seat in hole properly before getting kicked. As far as specs im sure it is the same as most others ...its 25 volts but around 20v under draw and approx 48 ohms . Im using a Gottlieb 5194 coil.

#9 8 years ago

You really don't want to run your inductive load current through your switch... it will cause an arc across the switch contacts when the switch opens and eventually could burn up the contacts. A circuit similar to this could do what you want. Use a transistor like the ones that drive your solenoids. The resistor and capacitor value can be adjusted to provide more or less time delay. You cannot make the resister too big or you will not provide enough bias current to turn the transistor all the way on. The diode across the coil will keep the high voltage spike off of your supply lines when the coil is turned off.

Mac

circuit.jpgcircuit.jpg

#10 8 years ago

Thank you for this ...I'll try this tomorrow providing I have all the parts and let you know how I make out.

#11 8 years ago

OK this seems to work just have it all on a bread board for now just have to make it more permanent.

Thank you very much for all your help.

#12 8 years ago

No problem... glad it meets your needs. What values did you end up using?

#13 8 years ago

Right now i have a 1 k and i believe a 10 uf but im going to tweak a bit and put it on a more permanent board than a test board lol

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-electronic-tech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.