(Topic ID: 240518)

Calling Cabinet Painting Experts...Please Advise!

By Tsskinne

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by busa32927
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180602_155517 (resized).jpg
20180601_131616 (resized).jpg
20180529_133211 (resized).jpg
20180528_135021 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

So I was painting my Flash Gordon cabinet yesterday.

I used Rustoleum primer. I then used Molotow traffic red as the base color. https://www.jacksonsart.com/en-us/molotow-belton-premium-spray-paint-400ml-traffic-red-transparent-239-ship-by-road-only Seems like a really good paint to me.
http://molotow-na.com/catalog/molotow-spray-paint-c-26_35.html

No issues at all.

I used Rustoleum 2x Primer & Paint Gloss black for my black, again things turned out and looked great, I let it sit for 5 days......and then the gold.

I used Molotow Gold Dollar...it looks amazing where it only goes over the red, but where it overlaps black on the head stencil, which fortunately is mostly just on the word Bally, it has had some reaction as you can see here on the first side I painted. The reaction happened almost immediately as it was painted and not over the course of drying. I basically sprayed and pulled the stencil instantly and it was crackling while I was doing this.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Since I had already applied the stencils to both sides and I was worried about leaving the stencil on too long and pulling more of my paint from the cabinet I decided to sand the black overlapping areas that were visible before doing the second side. This did seem to help, but not completely eliminate my issues.

At this point I was quite upset and annoyed not fully understanding why this would happen. I took a spare 2x4 I had in the garage and sanded it smooth to match the outside of the cabinet. I primed it, an hour later I painted it with the Rustoleum black. I let that dry for about 4 hours and then I sanded half the black area and the other area I left just normal and I sprayed my gold over it expecting it to look good where sanded and to crackle on the gloss areas...instead it all looks fine. WTF?! The end of the board was the sanded area, and moving down towards the middle was the gloss. Yes I sprayed it on heavy in the gloss area as well because someone proposed that perhaps I had sprayed too heavy on the stencil which caused the cracking.

So now before I do the bottom of the cabinet I'm looking for advice. I love this gold color from Molotow, but I don't want cracking over the much larger overlapped areas of the body of the cabinet.

Was it the amount of time between doing the black and the gold that caused the issue? Is it the brands of paint not getting along (even though the instructions for Molotow cites "Belton spraypaints can be used on any surface, in all weathers (down to a minimum of -10°C), and can be combined with acrylic paint, oil pastels or markers."). I have black spray paint from Molotow (Tar Black) as well but it is very flat and I prefer the glossy look of the Rustoleum. My test board still looked fine as of this morning, do I only let the black sit for a day before I apply the gold? Switch brands?

I only have the red base on the lower cabinet at this time so I still have a lot of options just looking for best explanation for what happened and tips moving forward. Thank you.
-Tommy

And this is the overall outcome by the way...it still looks good, just not perfect, and again I'm worried because there is a lot more overlap on the body of the cabinet.

#2 5 years ago

surprised no one has replied, I'm no expert but do know
a lot of paints don't mix well with Rustoleum

#3 5 years ago

Could be a couple things - not spraying soon enough or not waiting long enough - need to check what is says for cure time. Could be humidity or temperature. Could be mixing two different brands of paint. I've had that happen even using the same paint sometimes.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Could be a couple things - not spraying soon enough or not waiting long enough - need to check what is says for cure time. Could be humidity or temperature. Could be mixing two different brands of paint. I've had that happen even using the same paint sometimes.

How would the not spraying soon enough part impact it? I did wait 5 days between coats and I was wondering if that could be the issue somehow.

#5 5 years ago

The cans usually state either spray 2nd coat within xx minutes or wait xx hours to cure.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

The cans usually state either spray 2nd coat within xx minutes or wait xx hours to cure.

My concern was if I went too soon then the stencil for the gold color would pull the black paint off.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

My concern was if I went too soon then the stencil for the gold color would pull the black paint off.

Yep, the "soon" is mainly for respray of the same color.

#8 5 years ago

Rustoleum makes a gold why did you not use that. It's not the 2X but it's regular gold. I painted my Flash Gordon with nothing but Rustoleum 2 X and regular gold with no issues.

You might have went a little too heavy on your gold coat. Try lights coats and make sure everything is clean.

Sand her down and start over, sometimes that happens.

20180528_135021 (resized).jpg20180528_135021 (resized).jpg20180529_133211 (resized).jpg20180529_133211 (resized).jpg20180601_131616 (resized).jpg20180601_131616 (resized).jpg

20180602_155517 (resized).jpg20180602_155517 (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago

Oil based enamel paints are tricky especially when you add the element of propellants needed to use them in rattle cans.

These paints are typically thinned with acetone and acetone also is used to clean up or remove enamel paints.

When you see lifting of one color by application of another it could be that the mixture of the two are some how incompatible even if they should be(same brand,same paint line)because the propellants or acetone mixture differences are different. It may take much more or less acetone to thin black than it does gold for example.
Same base paints,same product lines but different ratios making them less compatible not exactly incompatible but more fragile or problematic.

Anytime you are not absolutely sure and honestly even if you are the best practice is to just lightly dust these colors on top of one another during the first few passes.

#10 5 years ago

Thanks for all the replies everyone

#11 5 years ago

Hi,

Well the cracking looks really like cheminal reaction because of solventing... What was the time between layers? Curing time respected?

On the other hand I really like the look of Timap2000 cabinet art. I will have to start restoration of my FG from next year, so if you wish to share your pencil files, I will appreciate.

#12 5 years ago

i havent messed with those brands but here is some advice. paints nowadays have chemical bonding. never mix brands. it might work with one color ok but not another or even another brand. u used rustoleom primer with moltow paint. i would find out if moltow has a primer and use that. read all of the instructions. there is a reason why they wrote what they did. recoat within xx mins. why? cuz paints gas off also tention. you can screw up paint by not following instructions from the manufacture. Not saying you didnt read them.

I would let it dry for a week or so. maybe u can lightly sand off the cracking and respray or brush it on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 99.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Boards
Troxel Repair

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-cabinet-painting-expertsplease-advise?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.