Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1.jpg
IMAG0606.jpg
IMAG0609.jpg
IMAG0607.jpg
IMAG0610.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I picked up a whitewater today and the original power driver board (pictured below) is trashed. The guy who sold it to me gave me another power driver board (the one that ends in -3). From what I have read this board should work in WH20. When trying to put the good board in I realized that not all connectors match. I then opened the bag with the old board in it and found this...The previous owner really did a number on the driver board.

My question is: Do these hacks point to other more serious issues or just crappy repair work? I hate to screw up the good board if there are underlying problems. IMAG0606.jpgIMAG0606.jpgIMAG0609.jpgIMAG0609.jpgIMAG0607.jpgIMAG0607.jpgIMAG0610.jpgIMAG0610.jpg

#2 10 years ago

It's fixable, but why the fuk go through all that trouble instead of just buying some 10 cent connectors??????

#3 10 years ago

I see a Rottendog purchase in your near future.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's fixable, but why the fuk go through all that trouble instead of just buying some 10 cent connectors??????

I just did, but what was with this crap in the first place? I plan to just cut the wires and put molex connectors on again. Do you think the first owner just screwed up replacing header pins?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from BigB:

I see a Rottendog purchase in your near future.

I agree, I would just fork out the cash for a RD board. Especially if you plan on selling it in the future. Either way, I would get a new board if it s was me. Good luck.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Do you think the first owner just screwed up replacing header pins?

Who knows?

You can see he lifted pads by using too much heat on one of the ICs in pic #2, so it's just someone who's first repair job was on a $300 board.

You are going to have to make sure that he did not pull out the "thru-holes" that connect the top of the circuit board to the bottom, too.

#7 10 years ago

Wow is that some ugly soldering. I've fixed worse.

#8 10 years ago

I've seen worse too! It could sorta be put back to normal, but you'd have jumpers on the backside for sure.

Here's a photo of a hack I ran across recently... Come to think of it, a "Hack Photo Thread" Would be a lot of fun!

1.jpg1.jpg

#9 10 years ago

That's repairable. I've fixed much worse. I don't see any holes burnt through it

#10 10 years ago

I'd rather fix any of these than deal with a WPC CPU, DE MPU, or Whitestar CPU that's covered in blue.

#11 10 years ago

I wouldn't sweat it. It is fixable. If you are going to install pin headers, just be completely sure that BOTH sides of the solder points are good as these are double-sided boards, test continuity all over the place. You may still have to run some jumpers in the end on the underside if the traces are in bad enough shape, but that isn't the end of the world as long as it functions properly. My Laser War looked just like this and I got it up and running in under an hour.

#12 10 years ago

Honestly, while a hack, that may be one of the most viable repairs i've seen ye on a system 7 GI connector.

Much better than what I usually see in that spot.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Honestly, while a hack, that may be one of the most viable repairs i've seen ye on a system 7 GI connector.
Much better than what I usually see in that spot.

I agree. As long as it's sound in the execution, despite being ugly, why bother. If there are no concerns with working correctly, just play the game.

#14 10 years ago

Lazy repair work. I've seen wires soldered to boards many times, but certainly not to this extent. On the plus side you don't have to worry about connectors failing! Not terribly difficult to fix, just time consuming.

#15 10 years ago

I recently repaired a board where the wires were soldered to the PINS of the connectors. I agree with the THEDEFOG. I just repaired an TAF MPU board that had some pretty bad hacks. Some thru-hole connectors were bad. I found the schematic, and with my ohmmeter checked pin-to-pin continuity and used a highlighter to cross off each connection on the schematic. I found 2 missing runs (basically at the through holes where bad repairs were made).

If you don't have the right tools, I would be wary as you can do more damage than good. I recommend a good desoldering tool to clean up all the bad work (Hakko 808 is what I use)

#16 10 years ago

Looking at it again, That driver board repair looks like the connectors were swiped from an old wiring harness from a redemption game or something. Sort of a "hmm, this harness should work, what the heck!".

I'd like to see the game side of the connections... Could be the icing on the cake!! I wonder if they used electrical tape or wire nuts?

#17 10 years ago

Typical on-location repair to get the game running. The connectors would just fail again while hard wired will last longer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
17,250 (OBO)
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-board-hack-experts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.