(Topic ID: 157847)

Calling all ye System6 speech therapists - who wants a challenge?

By goingincirclez

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by LEE
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

So I have a wrecked Firepower that is almost ready to try, 11 months after I picked it up. It's been a pure-forged middlefinger-generating trial by fire along the way. But I'm nearly happy to say I've fixed both the sound and the speech boards... almost? Here's the quick history and what's going on now:

- Sound board was dead when I got it. So I recapped it and it worked for sounds, but not speech. Meanwhile after borrowing its CPU chip to test on the game's MPU, it died. Turns out the red herring in that scenario was the original PIA went bad. The upshot is right now I have a sound board rebuilt with a new 6802 using its internal ram, a new 6821, new crystal, new sound rom, and new caps, which seems rock solid and plays all sounds in the self-test anytime, all the time.

- After getting the sound working, speech was MIA with no attempt to play. I replaced the 1458's. I replaced the ROM sockets, speech roms, and the two larger caps on the board. I also replaced the ribbon cable and have toned all its pins end-to-end when connected.

- Now, when I connect the speech board, it works - sometimes?! Sometimes the self-test loops several times successively, with all sounds and vocabulary... and then stops. Sometimes it plays once then stops. Sometimes it doesn't play anything at all. Sometimes it will play the sounds once, then no speech, and then nothing. Sometimes it plays for a bit then degrades into chip-tone static and dies. Sometimes it comes right back to life immediately. Other times I have to walk away for a while.

NOTHING in Clay's Guide, Mark's Guide, or PinWiki refers to this set particular symptom. And I've replaced all the "typical" components and it would seem things ostensibly work... but only when they want to? What could cause this inconsistency?

#2 8 years ago

Bump... or have I stumped?

Pinwiki says the IC7 4069 and/or IC2 7442 can be suspect at times... do these symptoms fit that criteria?

#3 8 years ago

have the rom sockets on the voice board been changed?

#4 8 years ago

They have. I never heard a peep from them, even with new roms, until changing the sockets. The originals were all RN-branded, I pried the covers off to inspect the pins and several of them were tarnished beyond use (the original roms also had tarnished pins). Replaced the sockets and the new roms finally came to life... sorta...

#5 8 years ago

Intermittent operation is probably a physical connection problem. The ribbon cable connectors can have problems at both sides. The ROM sockets are often SCANBEs on firepower era boards. These sockets are garbage.

I have fixed lots of these speech cards. ROMs are often bad. The trim pot is often bad. The Ribbon cable is often bad (press fittings come apart). The Speech amps / mixers are often bad. Less often the speech decoder is bad. I can't remember any other failure modes.

If i was in your shoes id recrimp on a new ribbon and redo the IC sockets and see where you are..... but don't redo the IC sockets unless you have good practice and skills. To recrimp the ribbon cable you need a vise or something. Old IDE hard drive cables can be recycled for the ribbon cable. Flexing on the ribbon cable might prove it is the issue.

#6 8 years ago

I've already replaced the sockets; checking my work 'til I'm blind.

I know I'm not above a mistake but since I did cut out the original dead PIA then add a socket and a new PIA, and it works... same as with the old speech rom sockets being visibly bad, and no speech at all until I replaced them... I'd like to think my work is OK. Double checking it anyway, I cannot find any shorts or bridges or blobs or loose connections, etc. I use SIPs when possible to make things easier to inspect and check.

I've not had luck flagging the ribbon cable. I already replaced it, but suspect the original was fine also. With the boards connected I can tone from the board-side of each ribbon trace with no shorts, etc. Wiggling it doesn't seem to make a difference. I know for certain that its not moving at all between the times when everything works / doesn't / works again / etc. Touching it while a test is in progress does not cause any change.

BTW to make troubleshooting easier, I replaced the W1 jumper pads with single machine pins. That way I can easily insert a 0-ohm resistor jumper for troubleshooting with/out the speech card attached, in game, without removing the boards. I thought that was a clever idea.

#7 8 years ago

Bump-before-I-do-something-stupid-tonight-bump

#8 8 years ago

Since they were the only things mentioned as "rare but possible maybes" on PinWiki, last night I replaced both the 4069 and the 7442 chips. I didn't make anything worse, but I didn't make anything better, either.

So I'll take the moral victory that my work is at least good enough not to break things worse. But the true problem is still evading: sound and speech works for a little while before cutting out completely. Seems speech board related because the sound board alone plays forever.

Any other ideas? I want to rule everything out before I consider getting a Kohut speech board.

#9 8 years ago

have you tried new ROMs? The original masked speech PROMs are almost always problematic for me and there is no checksum testing. So I usually burn new ones and trash can the masked ones so I know im not going to deal with it. Garbled chiptune noise can be a symptom of bad speech PROMs. Sometimes not playing any speech is another. Bad PROMs are not really intermittent failures though. Does one ROM feel like it heats up a bunch?

#10 8 years ago

Yep, new roms, ordered a couple months ago... they were the first suspects (originals were nasty looking!) before I tried the 1458's.

So you wanna hear something crazy?

Speech or no speech be damned, I finally decided to install my Rottendog MPU/Driver and debug the rest of the machine with the playfield out of the cabinet. Wanting to hear the other sounds for the first time, I disconnected the speech board and the game "played" with sound! So I installed the playfield, etc. Connected the speech board, ran the test and got sound, no attempt speech. Whatever, I just wanted to play my game... I even closed up the backbox just to enjoy it as is (expecting no speech). Played fine more or less, so I turned it off to debug a couple switches and the next time I turned it on there was still no speech - but blank breaks in the audio where it would have been. The next time I turned it on, speech was there! And after some crackly static during the machine's first 5 minutes of run time, it's worked fine for the last 24+ hours. INCLUDING for guests, which we all know is when pins love to embarrass you. No problems with speech or sound some 20+ games in.

During all that time I've made no meaningful changes to either board since my previous update.

Doesn't matter... I'll take it for now even if I won't hold my breath.

#11 8 years ago

So I didn't see that you replace the trim pot.

I also have a Firepower that would have the speech cut out after a while - also after rebuilding everything. I ended up replacing the female connectors at the CPU and it has been good since.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Tools
Pincoder Store

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-all-ye-system6-speech-therapists-who-wants-a-challenge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.