(Topic ID: 37083)

Calling all Tales From The Crypt owners and experts!

By ChadH

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

290667-i.jpg
290676-i.jpg
290658-i.jpg
290659-i.jpg
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

Hypothetically speaking...

What if Data East TALES FROM THE CRYPT received the same kind of rules overhaul and update like Data East STAR WARS just received? (See here if you are not familiar with the STAR WARS update: www.pinballcode.com ).

What kinds of things would you like to see changed in TftC? Or is TftC perfect as it is?

#2 11 years ago

TFTC is awesome the way it is for me.

#3 11 years ago

I think it's great the way it is too...don't really see any major flaws in the rules. I've only owned it for a week though aha..

It really reminds me of Addam's Family in a way...hit the scoop start a mode, then hit the lit orbit to relight...then hit the scoop again

#4 11 years ago

No......................................... I just sold mine!

#5 11 years ago

i think tales is great as is, just my opinion.
in the data east realm, lethal weapon 3 could use some help

#6 11 years ago

I didn't like the gimme multiball on ball 3.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

I didn't like the gimme multiball on ball 3.

I like it because it gives some people the chance to actually see it. I am pretty sure that goes away on harder settings. I would have to go try and check to be sure. If not, making it turn off on higher settings would be something I could see.

#8 11 years ago

when you hit the left ramp it goes bats, then bats ,then bats,? I always though the dmd animation should go more with the lights on the play field. Bats, Rats Ghost and goblins, or something like that.

#9 11 years ago

I hate the Crypt Keeper's constant laugh...one reason why I sold it.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Iamdarras:

when you hit the left ramp it goes bats, then bats ,then bats,? I always though the dmd animation should go more with the lights on the play field. Bats, Rats Ghost and goblins, or something like that.

That one is really strange, it does seem like it's missing the other animations. It seems strange too how you keep the lights you've lit from the left ramp when you lose a ball, but you lose the ones from the right ramp. I'm sure it should be the other way around and you should keep the right ones because those are so hard to get. I've still never reached 'Play the Organ'. Another bug I've noticed is when you're in Skull Crusher mode, you can't light the Creature Feature from the orbit lane. Also, the shooter lane light stays on after you've locked a mode and completed it, when it should go out after you've completed the mode.

#11 11 years ago

I've had my TFTC for about 12 months now.
Bought because it was local for a decent price.
It's a great game as is.
I've gotten over my memories of DE pins feeling clunky.

Theme incorporated really well.
Variety of shots to make.
The Skull cracking with a clone ball produced, the skill shot. Even the video mode with the door handle is good fun. That reminds me about locking in modes with the handle too!

I've never had a problem with the constant laugh.
If anything I think it's just adds to the whole B Grade cheesy horror theme.

As for changes the only thing I can think of is Jurassic Park has a Jackpot that relates to the number of balls in play - so maybe adding something after the Double Jackpot???
Where do you go after a chainsaw to the head????

I gimme multi-ball is great for newcomers to pinball - compared to explaining how to get Multiball happening on my Firepower, and then regularly not nailing the final lock!

TFTC also has a generous Freeze ball save, especially compared to my Jurassic Park (though I haven't had a play with settings - is an adjustment in there?).

#12 11 years ago

Maybe the addition of a mini-wizard mode like Total Annihilation? You could have it so that completing all the shots a certain number of times would start this.

#13 11 years ago

Adding more quotes from the Cryptkeeper would be nice. Per pinside game notes it has over 200 phrases but I would like another 100. The more the Merrier. The animations are superior in this game but I'll take more. The laughing does not bug me either and I like the constant theme music from the show. It's a pinball machine it should make constant sounds unlike some games with dead air. Maybe something with getting extra balls as I can only get one per game by lighting it on the board if it comes up other wise its a three ball game no matter what your score. Not sure what others suggest but I have my game set to factory settings. I think the skull cracking is the hardest shot and sometimes it does not register. I would like to add combos to the game if you hit certain shots in a row to award points. Also would be nice to register initials in game for certain modes or loop champion besides only keeping track of high scores. I think all games shod do this like SM has done bec it gives others different things to chase or go After when high scores are tough to compete against especially on home use games. Just trying to think out side the box but game is pure fun.

#14 11 years ago

Two things come to mind.

Knock down the over used "every GI / Flasher" On-Off at the same time stuff. Way to harsh on the eyes.

Second, do something better with the captive ball. While I like the concept, you just don't receive enough score benefits when you finally do hit it.

Other than that, it's a pretty solid game when it comes to code.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from temlog:

Two things come to mind.
Knock down the over used "every GI / Flasher" On-Off at the same time stuff. Way to harsh on the eyes.

Try having almost all superbright LEDs in the machine (bought it that way). Once shit gets going, you're literally playing blind. Way too many flashing lights for this old boy.

#16 11 years ago

Combos would be cool with call outs like shadow.

2 months later
#17 11 years ago
Quoted from gsrogers:

I never have a problem with the laugh. But the schlop schlop schlop of the guillotine at the beginning of each shot, especially if you're waiting on someone, drives me crazy. Limit it or eliminate it either way. Change some scoring, the bat modes and the give me multi-ball as was said. Maybe a stackable extra ball or something. Some music maybe.

#18 11 years ago

Nothing wrong with TFTC, except sometimes during an extended multiball session, the Cryptkeeper loses track of how many balls are in play.

#19 11 years ago

Some new quotes would be nice and as someone else mentioned not having the right ramp reset after each ball would make way more sense. Other than that the rule set is great.

#20 11 years ago

You guys are making me miss mine!!! And the rules are fines as it is. The only tweak i would make to the software if i could is, when the ball is sitting in the shooter lane, i don't want to hear the guillotine constantly. Maybe after like 30 secs i want that sfx to go off.

#21 11 years ago

Always room for improvement. A glaring issue as far as I'm concerned:

What's the point of the "rats/bats/ghosts/goblins" inserts on the left ramp, and the "play the organ/living dead/grave digger/chainsaw mode" on the right ramp? They light up in turn, but don't seem to have much of a purpose otherwise... Am I missing something? You cycle through them, and get points of course, and perhaps trigger a "points/hurry-up mode" but they don't really serve any unique/interesting purpose otherwise; I expect there was some planned use for them and it just never made it into the code.

I think there's room to improve on multi-ball as well. Start it, shoot left ramp, shoot right, spell "crypt" again - maybe add something for spelling "keeper" while multi-ball is active?

I know there are limits in adding new content (unless you find a bunch of unused audio call-outs, unused animations, and snippets of code that are otherwise bypassed that provide a starting point), but tweaking the above I think would be useful.

#22 11 years ago

More quotes for sure. Extra ball feature. Combos.

#23 11 years ago

The only thing that needs changing on tftc software cant change. Its fine as is. Move on to something like mergining the shaker code from the proto tommy rom into the final game rom.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

The only thing that needs changing on tftc software cant change.

And that is what exactly?

#25 11 years ago

Picking my TFTC this coming week. Can't wait to play it and Don't know what would need to be updated..I like machines the way they were made...That's just me..old school I guess...Loved the show when it was on...So either way I will be happy.....Cheers.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 11 years ago

I like mine just the way it is.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from KoolFingers:

And that is what exactly?

crypt hole per Borgs own statement is off a 16th causing it to be a pia to hit consistently

#28 11 years ago

TFTC is awful solid pinball as is

#29 11 years ago

I love my TFTC and wouldn't mind a change of software to check out

Edit: Loved my old TFTC and "will" love my new TFTC when it's ready

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

crypt hole per Borgs own statement is off a 16th causing it to be a pia to hit consistently

That's probably my only complaint about the game. The cliffy I put on seemed to make it even harder.

The wear I had on the side actually sucked the ball in sometimes. hehe

#31 11 years ago

I like TFTC as is. There is extraball already? I do not know of any official combos.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

thank you for that info, but that's not software related, but is a pia shot.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I like TFTC as is. There is extraball already? I do not know of any official combos.

Is the only extra ball you can get on it when you select it out of the 12 tasks in the well. Otherwise there is no other way to get one right?

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Is the only extra ball you can get on it when you select it out of the 12 tasks in the well. Otherwise there is no other way to get one right?

Also remember if changes are made you don't have to buy the updated ROM version. But I would like to see it done just like how people restord or upgrade old cars. "If you know what I mean" and quote from the game.

2 weeks later
#35 11 years ago

a) At the beginning of a ball, display is doing the shomp shomp shomp... can't tell which player is up. Whose turn is it?
b) Shots to left ramp not attractive. Points nor advancement nor animations.

Really, that's all I've got. Solid solid solid.

1 week later
#36 11 years ago

Once you max out the guillotine drop targets at 8x times scoring if you keep hitting them you only get 1 mil no matter how many times you knock all three down.

1 week later
#37 10 years ago

I know I said more quotes already but we need more intros from the shows and quotes from the episode in addition to actual Cryptkeeper quotes.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I know I said more quotes already but we need more intros from the shows and quotes from the episode in addition to actual Cryptkeeper quotes.

Someone can probably adjust the rules like the guy did with Starwars. But people aren't going to add in new animations too, that's just a dream

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Edit: Loved my old TFTC and "will" love my new TFTC when it's ready

Yes you will, its getting close, hopefully done this weekend,you need to help me get it into the garage so I can finish the cab.

#40 10 years ago

I think the layout is great but the ramps are under used. If the ramps were somehow integrated into the game play so that they had to be hit often, I'd like it way more.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from gsrogers:

What he said^

#42 10 years ago

I've only had the game a short while but I do feel that the guillotine skill shot could be improved somehow. Possibly add random awards under each one every time it cycles.

Captive ball could be changed scoring and creature feature. Needs to award more for hitting it.
Keeper target creature feature could award more too.

I'm just thinking of the number of creature features that will easily gain you 20-30 million almost every time vs the ones where you are lucky to get 3 million.

The multi ball settings need to work better to have the option to remove the gimme multi ball.

1 month later
#43 10 years ago

Any word on the progress of the TFTC project?

#44 10 years ago

I really like my TFTC as is, but one thing I noticed which I wish would be different is when you
get to the door prize mode, I can never get more than 2 doors and guaranteed to see the
hangman on the third one
Great game though, fast and for some strange reason most women love to play it

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

The only thing that needs changing on tftc software cant change. Its fine as is. Move on to something like mergining the shaker code from the proto tommy rom into the final game rom.

Boy do I agree with this statement. I probably put more time on TFTC than any other game in the 4 years I had it. Tftc is great as is, but Tommy would be awesome with the shaker code added!!!

#46 10 years ago

I would love it, there aren't too many things I would change, so it wouldn't take a really long time to do compared to a game that needs a lot of changes.

Most of my ideas have already been mentioned

Make the skill shot more challenging.
Have a setting that makes you earn multiball, or at least make it harder to get to.
Fix the names of the left ramp shot to match what is on the pf inserts, and make ramp shots worth more.
Do something more interesting with the trick shot, like make it increase in value every time it is hit.

#47 10 years ago

love the cryptkeeper laugh...its even cooler when my 2yr old baby girl mimics him. also love the music, 4 me its the best in pinball.

#48 10 years ago

It's hard to improve on perfection!

#49 10 years ago

I know it has been mentioned, but I must add my vote to doing something about the INSANE flashers at various points of gameplay. I just got my TFTC and the two other people who have played it since I got it commented on the annoyance of the flashers, as it is distracting and blinding, like a camera going off in your face ... Opening you up for a ball drain.

More animations and sound clips is always great.

But aside from that...I agree, this game is darn near perfection!

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

This is what I love. A challenge.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 64.00
$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-all-tales-from-the-crypt-owners-and-experts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.