Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by boilerman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

quickwood (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    51dd3n-rRPL (resized).jpg
    20190217_192018_resized (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    canon08122018 017 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhead52.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Im painting (repainting) a Joker Poker and the head sides has pretty deep wood grain. Whats the best to minimize? I have been using a shellac primer with a 320 grit sand. Can I do 2 or 3 coats of shellac to try to fill in the grain. I dont want to bondo the complete side that would be ridiculous...

Ken

#11 5 years ago

Here's a JokerPoker i just finished today. The head especially has the wood graining. I can use bondo from a squeeze tupe (pretty viscus), it would be a lot of work...

20190217_192018_resized (resized).jpg20190217_192018_resized (resized).jpg
    #20 5 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

i use this
    [quoted image]

Whats the working time. Bondo only seems to give me 5 minutes...

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

i do not use it on large issues. but on games with a heavy grain, it levels out the grain nicely once sanded. after i sand it i put down my coat or two of sanding sealer then it is smooth as a glass. i still use bondo on large issues and holes but this is what i use on grain issues. the benefit is this is easier to sand and holds better on spots that bondo tends to not hold well like very thin layers.
    it also makes a stronger corner than bondo. i have had bondo chip off corners but this stuff is tougher IMO

Ive been using this JB Weld wood epoxy for the bigger fixes

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhead52.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-all-painters-sever-wood-grain?tu=pinhead52 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.