Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by boilerman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

quickwood (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    51dd3n-rRPL (resized).jpg
    20190217_192018_resized (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    canon08122018 017 (resized).JPG
    #1 5 years ago

Im painting (repainting) a Joker Poker and the head sides has pretty deep wood grain. Whats the best to minimize? I have been using a shellac primer with a 320 grit sand. Can I do 2 or 3 coats of shellac to try to fill in the grain. I dont want to bondo the complete side that would be ridiculous...

Ken

#2 5 years ago

I would do something ridiculous.

#3 5 years ago

I used to use quite a bit of wooden boat fairing compound that I think would work in this application. Comes in a pint or quart tub from Hamilton marine. Interlux used to make (perhaps still does) a plywood sealer that really did a miracle on weathered cracked ply.

#4 5 years ago

dolfin glaze or similar, its made for this type of situation. filling deep grain with shellac could be considered ridiculous.

#5 5 years ago

I've done some that seem to have this deep wood grain. Here is what I used from Evercoat:

GLAZE-IT® is a two-part, flowable, polyester finishing putty ideally suited for filling and skim coating body work, pinholes, grind marks, low spots and other surface imperfections. Use as a finish coat over body filler repair areas to fill minor defects, deep sand scratches and pinholes prior to applying primer surfacer to improve the efficiency of the primer coat. Can also be used to fill minor body damage up to 1/8” in depth.

#6 5 years ago

Why is Bondo ridiculous? It seems to me you want to do more work than just Bondo it.

#7 5 years ago

Shellac primer is good for small to really fine wood grain..i wouldn't suggest to build shellac...thin coat of bondo would be your best bet....

#8 5 years ago

I have found that to be a fairly common issue on cab sides Ken. It seems that a stream of the grain just flows away leaving plywood erosion. Talking to a friend in the building industry he claims that it is a fairly regular issue with old/cheaper ply. I have chosen to sand lightly in an endeavour to smooth out the imperfections rather than I what I regarded as an almost impossible task to block significant areas and destroy the character of the aged plywood. Once finished I have been happy with result and on to the next!

If I understand your issue correctly this is the back of my ball bowler the reflections of which show the timber erosion.

canon08122018 017 (resized).JPGcanon08122018 017 (resized).JPG

#9 5 years ago

Skim coat of bondo is the way to go. You could even take it to a body shop and have it done. 10 minutes of work for a bodyman.

#10 5 years ago

Wouldn't this work? No fumes, water based, and inexpensive. Unless there would be some adhesion problem with the old paint on the cab.

" waterbased non-toxic wood filler is the most versatile we've ever used. Straight from the jar it works easily for filling nail holes, dents, and cracks in furniture or flooring. It dries in as little as 15 minutes, exhibits almost no shrinkage, and sets up hard enough to handle machining and fastening just like the wood around it. Slightly thinned with water to the consistency of ketchup, Famowood becomes a superb surface filler, leveling pores and hiding texture very smoothly. It sands beautifully, without loading your paper whether hand or machine sanding. It is fullly compatible with most water- or solvent-based stains & finishes. Famowood is non-combustible & virtually odorless. Colors can be intermixed to create custom shades, & can be further modified with UTCs."

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
    #11 5 years ago

Here's a JokerPoker i just finished today. The head especially has the wood graining. I can use bondo from a squeeze tupe (pretty viscus), it would be a lot of work...

20190217_192018_resized (resized).jpg20190217_192018_resized (resized).jpg
    #12 5 years ago

Go to Walmart and buy a pint can of bondo for about $7.00. While you are there buy a 3-pack of those plastic spreaders. Using a spreader do a a skim coat of bondo as another poster suggested. It will be less work than squeeze tube. But it will still be work.

#13 5 years ago

the products that myself and others have suggested are essentially bondo, only less thick. they're designed for exactly what you're trying to do. using regular bondo or wood putty is going to be much more work and effort-it's just too thick. i'd sand ( you're gonna have to sand anyway) the paint off which will eliminate or reduce some of the cracks and apply glazing putty. this is one of those situations where you're going to have to put the time in and do it right to get the results you'll be happy with.

#14 5 years ago

I found similar results with my first EM cab restore - '67 Bally Rocket III. I kept going and was happy with the end result.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodgrain-cracks-in-em-cabinet-paint-job

#15 5 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #16 5 years ago
    Quoted from beadwindow:

the products that myself and others have suggested are essentially bondo, only less thick. they're designed for exactly what you're trying to do. using regular bondo or wood putty is going to be much more work and effort-it's just too thick. i'd sand ( you're gonna have to sand anyway) the paint off which will eliminate or reduce some of the cracks and apply glazing putty. this is one of those situations where you're going to have to put the time in and do it right to get the results you'll be happy with.

If you use glazing putty get this, almost all body shops use it

#17 5 years ago

i use this

51dd3n-rRPL (resized).jpg51dd3n-rRPL (resized).jpg
    #18 5 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

i use this
    [quoted image]

Directions for that says to use a glazing putty over that to finish, might as well just use Bondo

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Directions for that says to use a glazing putty over that to finish, might as well just use Bondo

i do not use it on large issues. but on games with a heavy grain, it levels out the grain nicely once sanded. after i sand it i put down my coat or two of sanding sealer then it is smooth as a glass. i still use bondo on large issues and holes but this is what i use on grain issues. the benefit is this is easier to sand and holds better on spots that bondo tends to not hold well like very thin layers.
    it also makes a stronger corner than bondo. i have had bondo chip off corners but this stuff is tougher IMO

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

i use this
    [quoted image]

Whats the working time. Bondo only seems to give me 5 minutes...

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

i do not use it on large issues. but on games with a heavy grain, it levels out the grain nicely once sanded. after i sand it i put down my coat or two of sanding sealer then it is smooth as a glass. i still use bondo on large issues and holes but this is what i use on grain issues. the benefit is this is easier to sand and holds better on spots that bondo tends to not hold well like very thin layers.
    it also makes a stronger corner than bondo. i have had bondo chip off corners but this stuff is tougher IMO

Ive been using this JB Weld wood epoxy for the bigger fixes

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Whats the working time. Bondo only seems to give me 5 minutes...

it has two parts like bondo so your working time can be adjusted a little by cutting back on the activator a little. but that is only a little. to little activator and it will not harden to much and you have little to no working time. i just do small sections at a time.
    never used that quick wood but i do use this one.

quickwood (resized).jpgquickwood (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-all-painters-sever-wood-grain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.