Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Doggy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I am at a loss with this Mpu board, this is my spare board which I work on from time to time.
    Here is my problems:
    Booking is not being saved, when I go through the tests it don’t show the quarters in shoot 1 nor shoot 2
    I’ll set replay at 210,000 280,000 and 350,000 and high score at 400,000
    When I run through the test 7-10 it saves 10,001 for 1st replay 0 for 2nd replay 10,001 for 3rdand 10,001 for high score.
    Another odditiy is when I shut it off and turn it back on the credits show 33 and match 70 which isn’t bad but it will only accept 1 credit more no matter how many quarters I put in. The chimes work as though I’m adding credits but only 1 credit is added. Here is the chips I had changed out thus far:
    Z22, Z5 Z2 C22 C27 Q5 and Q6
    I should note I have a battery pack (3 AA) with diode on positive with band towards the board.
    Please any advice (besides tossing out the board) will be appreciated

#2 5 years ago

Is this an original Gottlieb board? Any acid damage?

#3 5 years ago

Yes this is a original board the acid damage was minimal I cleaned and neutralized the area the best I could.

#4 5 years ago

Is the RAM chip getting voltage?

Whenever I encounter goofy issues with bookeeping and credits and it's getting the proper voltage, it's sometimes the RAM chip going bad, especially if it's an AMI branded chip.

#5 5 years ago

I’ll check the voltage on the Z22 it should be getting 5 volts correct? Which legs should I be checking?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Is the RAM chip getting voltage?
    Whenever I encounter goofy issues with bookeeping and credits and it's getting the proper voltage, it's sometimes the RAM chip going bad, especially if it's an AMI branded chip.

+1 on it being the RAM

#7 5 years ago

Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I’m learning as I go. I would think that you should test the ram with the power on. With that said, would you use the comman ground? Should each leg have voltage? I would think at least 1 of the 22 legs would be ground. How do you test the chips?

#8 5 years ago

So if the RAM chip is a 5101, you go online and review that data sheet for the chip. If you have the board schematic that will also indicate power and ground pins. In this case pin 8 is ground and pin 22 is power. To test data retention you will measure the pins with the power OFF as this chip retains the memory with the power off using your off board battery supply. Then check the same pins with power on.

If all is OK with the voltage measurements, just replace the 5101 again. 5101 is susceptible to static damage in handling. -- I hope you used sockets when you replaced the chips.

#9 5 years ago

I had that problem it was the 5101 ram chip

#10 5 years ago

When I checked the ram for voltage I got 3 volts on pin 22 when powered off. Which sounds correct as the battery pack is putting out the same. When I check with power on I get 5 volts which sounds correct.im at a loss with this I replaced the 5011 chip twice I guess it could be possible I got 2 bad chips when I purchased them. I don’t know what else to check beside buying a few more chips...

#11 5 years ago

I think I narrowed it down to the Z1 chip. I measured the voltage from a good board and Pin 1 on Z1 should measure 4volts (at least that’s what the good board measured) the board In question is measuring 0 volts. I changed Z1 with a known good chip, and it still measures 0.. where does pin 1 on Z1 get its power from? Where should I looking?

#12 5 years ago

Ok put in a new 5101 chip then a new battery then go into book keeping and reset all everything from 1-9 that should work. If you can only put up 1 credit at a time then thats where your problem is around the 5101.

#13 5 years ago

Thanks Raff,
    I had just ordered a few more 5011 chips, hopefully your correct.
    But I have my doubts. Since I changed out a couple I already had from
    Docent.
    I guess they could all be bad (anything’s possible)
    From what I understand about these chips, you must handle them very carefully.

#14 5 years ago

Check the dc voltage at pin 22.
    Should be around 3.6 volt.

#15 5 years ago

Have you done the ground mods to the mpu, driver and power boards.and you might want to have a look here on pinside for
    Gottlieb/Dragon/Problem with holding high score and only 1 credit.

#16 5 years ago

Voltage is good at pin 22, Yes I did the ground mods, thanks for your help on this, I’m now waiting on my new 5011 chip I ordered today...keeping my fingers crossed

#17 5 years ago

Well I changed the 5011 chip again ! Same thing the audits still won’t hold correctly.
    And it only accepts 1 credit. I tried evything I can think to do and everything you guys
    suggested to do, but no change. I’m now thinking it’s the spider chip that’s fried.

#18 5 years ago

FOUND THE PROBLEM!
    Turns out 4 of the 22 traces on the 5011 chip was bad. I figured let me take off the socket and take a good look.
    Four of the eyelets were gone. So I soldered wires on the back of the board and it worked. It doesn’t look the best but it’s a working backup board... thank you guys for your direction on this problem....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-all-gottlieb-system-1-tech-guys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.