(Topic ID: 21155)

Calling all Cyclone owners and fixers! Help!

By Skrippy

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Orbian
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cyclone_Error.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Alrighty, after some amount of work on our Cyclone our sounds are in place and everything is back!

Except The Spookhouse...

So, through the test mode the coil still works, knock him down. Through self-test the coil will pop the drop target back up. That works.

But once he's up and I go start a game and knock him down, he doesn't pop back up (Regardless how much Chumbawumba I play!) The Spookhouse theme wont play, leaving you free access to the mystery wheel.

Things my father and I replaced.
MPU board
New game ROMs, REV5. (Thanks Al)

It might matter, might not, but our Sound, Speech and Music ROMs are all REV1

Not sure what our problem is here.... Any help is greatly appreciated. Cause I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to figuring out what going on with these machines, I'm fairly(really) new to the repairing game.

#2 11 years ago

Try going into switch test and see if it registers when you put the drop target down. If not something is probably wrong with the optical switch ("opto") for the drop target - there is an infrared LED and receiver pair on the little board under the playfield. First thing to try would be cleaning these.

From pinrepair guide:
Cleaning Optos.
Optos can get dusty from the "black dust" inside a game. To clean an opto, use a Q-tip dipped in glass cleaner. Wipe the opto with the Windex-wet Q-tip, then dry the opto with a clean, dry Q-tip. Do NOT use canned air to blow optos clean! The air in these cans is too cold and can damage an opto.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks BadBrick! It's now working, except the mystery wheel either, wont spin, or spin maybe a quarter turn while the announcer says "Round and R" Then a noise I've never hear plays while ones flicker across the top part of the display. Then it gives you a reward, but not the one the clown is pointing at. The mystery wheel spins fine under self test mode though?

Our whooshing roller coaster noise for the comet, and the noise while it adds your bonus point have disappeared since then...

#4 11 years ago

Great! So glad you got your drop target working!

Unfortunately I don't think I will be much help with the Mystery Wheel problem - I am pretty new to working on pins too and (luckily) I haven't had any problems with my Mystery Wheel. I can't imagine why it would work fine in diagnostics but not during the game...but hopefully one of these Pinside experts will have some thoughts on that.

#5 11 years ago

There is an opto positioning sensor for the mystery wheel as well. When you run the test does it display what segment of the wheel is passing or just spins the wheel?

viperrwk

#6 11 years ago

Alrighty, Viperrwk. I've cleaned the Opto behind the board, and I still get the same error as before I tested it.

Cyclone_Error.jpgCyclone_Error.jpg

#7 11 years ago

Double post.

It starts at five and goes all the way through nine. The manual says it will only go to nine errors and "The game program did not detect the Home Switch"

And it tells me nothing about what that is...

#8 11 years ago

Hello! Did you replace your MPU with one of the Rottendog MPUs? There is a known issue with this MPU. The Spook House drop target will not reset. If you knock it down it stays down. The opto never changes state. The same with the Mystery Wheel. It will spin sometimes but the corresponding award is not properly reflected in the display windows. They are working on fixing this.

#9 11 years ago

Well, Orbian, I guess that explains a good bit of it. Would that explain the disappearance of certain sounds as well?

#10 11 years ago

Yes! The sounds can be missing or not correct for what should be heard for a specific action. I would let them know you are having this problem. This may be affecting other system 11 games using this board with opto switches. Also the Great Lakes Modular single drop target replacement board will correct the problem. However there is no replacement board for the Mystery Wheel that will fix the problem when using Rottendog board.

#11 11 years ago

Do we know how long it will take to fix it, or would it be better to get our money back and find an original or see if Niwumpf has one?

#12 11 years ago

You didn't say earlier you'd replaced the MPU with a Rottendog (nice call orbian.)

Don't count on the problem being fixed any time soon. What happened to your original board? I'd try and get that fixed and back in the machine.

viperrwk

#13 11 years ago

I would return the board and get a good original. They've known about this problem for about 18 months. I don't see it being resolved anytime soon. You might check with pinballpcb.com and see when their board will be ready.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/calling-all-cyclone-owners-and-fixers-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.