Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

checkpoint_price (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from clg:

The issue is the electrical components. What if bad code locks something on. Best case bad fuse worst case a fire.

Does this ever happen with official code? I've never heard of it.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I really don't think anyone is actually expecting Williams to release old source code.

I'd love it if they did that! It's not that hard to edit the assembly to modify a few bad rules. Or gottlieb. Or even classic Sterns. Most aren't even licensed, there shouldn't be any problem with that. A lot of older games could be improved drastically if we had access to the source code, aren't licensed, and the companies aren't around any more to care about people smoking their games or anything.

Something like releasing the code (minus assets in the case of licensed stuff) for games more than 5 or 10 years old would be great future proofing and would help prop up resale values of games. Of course, the bigger companies won't do this, because it would take effort on their part, not worth it, but it would be a nice gesture.

Would this be good for pinball in general? Yes. Will most companies do it? No. I don't see why the OP is getting all these downvotes just because the companies can't be bothered.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Then you have the additional costs of supporting when some moron puts on "Joe's Build #4444, armageddon lightshow and all coil spasm" and blows his fuses, calls Chaz and says "Dunno what happened, was just playing and things blew up."

If you wait till the machine is out of warranty anyway, you don't need to worry about this.

Quoted from paul_8788:

Why would a modern pinball manufacter worry about future proofing and propping up resale values? They make money by selling new pins. So add a cost center for moving to open source and dealing with open source issues, make future licensors more nervous because their brand is now out of their and Stern's control, then gut future sales by creating a modding community for older machines. Makes absolutely no business sense.

Resale value is half the reason pins can be this expensive. If you looked at your new Premium and knew it was only going to be worth $3000 a year later, you might rethink that. People know their games are gonna be worth a good price later on, so that helps the initial sale. Will that outweigh the cost of setting it up? Probably not. As I said, most bigger companies won't bother. Would earn them a lot of good will though. How many people are sour because their game got dropped with unfinished code and is now dead?

In the end though, this is a niche market, and companies live and die by the health of the hobby. Open sourcing the old code helps rejuvenate cheaper games, helping more people get into the hobby, etc.

It's still something that'd be smarter for smaller companies like Spooky to do though. They even started doing it, but then stopped for some reason? Did they ever mention that on their podcast? It seems like Rob Zombie and Dominoes are suffering from their code and Spooky is already hard pressed to keep up with their code, and the community would happily jump on it, balancing stuff, adding things here and there to their own branches, which Spooky could then selectively merge into their own official base.

With most of the game code already written, people won't generally be modifying any areas that can cause lock ups anyway, so the danger of that is lessened further

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Yes, and Pinside is a niche of a niche...and folks who really care about accessing source code is an even smaller niche of a niche. Most people that buy games probably don't even care or know enough to even get into the adjustments menus on their machines. I only change defaults to free play and 5 ball play. That's about it.

Most people don't need to care about getting into the code, they just need to have better code available, just as most people who benefit from regular open source software don't know how to code either.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

On an EM where you often don't even get to flip, sure.

So Walking Dead?

Quoted from oohlou:

Who cares? Let people enjoy a pinball machine they way they want.
    Back on topic: I would love it if the software was open source but I understand why it is not.I sn't AMH software open source? Has anyone done anything with it?

Supposedly it is/was but I can't find the code on their site anymore Maybe I'm just missing it. They have the graphics files available and the sounds can be replaced, which is great, but that's the stuff that'd be easier to hack anyway.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlbanyTim:

I wouldn't want access to the source code. Half the fun is figuring out the scoring rules. This would eliminate that.

Probably easier to figure them out by playing than by reading the source :/

Quoted from Rarehero:enjoy your free time.

What if I enjoy fixing pinball code?

Quoted from Rarehero:

Why would a company want you to monkey with their product?

Free labor? Why do most tech companies open source much of their code?

Quoted from Rarehero:

The people selling the product will fix it.

How's that been working out for ya?

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Plenty of options besides demanding a company let you alter their proprietary product.
    1. Apply for a job at a pinball company.
    2. Buy a P-ROC
    3. Make your own game.

1. Planning on it
    2. Built my own boards, PROC costs too much
    3. I did.

Plenty of options, yes, but the best one for pinball in general is if they'd just release the code.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Do gaming companies?

Many do.

Quoted from Rarehero:

This isn't a "piece of tech". It's a "finished" product. (In theory lol)

That doesn't have any bearing

Quoted from Rarehero:

I stopped buying games. Worked out great! Just playing all the bug free finished ones that exist!

And the companies still aren't finishing their code.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It's been said before, it'll never happen. Partially due to the games being licensed. Partially due to companies being protective of their R&D. There's nothing in it for the companies to open source their code, and only a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of pinball enthusiasts would even understand or care what "open code" is or does. It's not something that'll move the meter at all...so the premise of this thread: "Call to action" and "DEMAND" is just laughable entitled mega-nerd stuff.

Your estimate of how many people would care is way low, but either way, it not happening doesn't mean it's not better. If you don't demand, then it's definitely not going to happen. It doesn't hurt to have it in the conversation, and it's in no way entitled to want to be able to fix the code on your $7000 machine.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

The premise of the thread is the epitome of entitlement. DEMAND! CALL TO ACTION! ...c'mon.
    Don't buy $7000 pinball machines that don't have complete/bug-free code. Don't reward companies that make poor products and charge that much.

Yeah, and screw those people who did, they have no right to ask for better treatment. You bought the game, you are entitled to complete code. If the company can't deliver, it's on them.

Quoted from gstellenberg:

As promised, Multimorphic will be open sourcing game code for many of our non-licensed games, including our first game LL-EE. We'll also be making available tools and documentation to help you build and test it on your P3.
    Let us get some machines shipped, and then we'll make the game code available.
    - Gerry
    http://www.multimorphic.com

Great to hear

#51 6 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Why would Stern just turn over it's software that they invested heavily to the world, including their competition? So a few fans could tinker with their games, put them on route, and have them malfunction or do things they were not designed to do? That's entirely ridiculous.

It's not like the rules code (the thing people are actually interested in improving) is at all useful without a Stern machine. And the backend code hasn't changed much since the 90s. There's nothing fancy or secret about it, so nothing to steal.

Besides, tens of thousands of companies invest tons of money in their open source projects. Open sourcing something isn't giving it away, it doesn't work like that.

Even if some op was stupid enough to put untested custom code on their route machine, Stern could easily add restrictions like free play to modified code. The whole 'oh no someone's going to break the game' thing is overblown anyway. The backend has tons of safety checks to make sure nothing gets locked on.

Quoted from taylor34:

I don't understand why anyone would do that strictly on price. To learn, yes, for fun, yes, for price? That seems ridiculous. You could accomplish so much on your custom game in the time it would take you to create your own board. Not to mention debugging time of that board, doing OS stuff, etc. when all of that has already been done with the p-roc.

If it was a thankless chore to design and create the boards then yeah, I'd totally have just used existing ones (although I would have used OPP, not shelled out for proc), but for me it isn't. I learned a ton and I enjoyed most aspects of it. All part of the experience. When I show my machine to someone and go 'I built this' and they ask what i mean, I can say 'everything'. Boards code, playfield, wiring, etc.

Also I don't like the idea of running a pinball machine on top of windows/Linux, let alone needing a whole small desktop in there. Slow to boot and too many things to go wrong.

Quoted from rosh:

What game did you build? Is there a thread or website about it? Any info on your board set that you made?

Picture in my avatar for reference. I grabbed a video at one point:

I never publicly announced it or made a thread or anything. I had some posts about it on my blog, but s combination server and backup drive failure plus some mysteriously missing other backups means that blog is lost never got any interest on it before, so I didn't put a lot of time into documenting things, but if someone wants to know anything about it I'm happy to expound. I've gone into detail via a few pms to people in the past.... I wanted to bring the game to pintastic the first year but due to a lot of connector problems (lesson learned: buy a good crimper, use locking housings, and don't mount boards upside down under the playfield) it isn't reliable enough to move. As long as it sits in the corner though it's been pretty reliable, so I've been content to let it sit and try to make my next game solid.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

Exactly - can't you see that this would cost Stern a lot of time and money, for very little benefit and probably a lot of extra work / headaches?

But companies *do* it. And they keep doing it. So it's not a sink of money, they're getting more back from it.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You could just use MPF and a laptop and recode any Spike machine to do whatever you want, for free.
    Assets like art and video are not available to you anyway because of whatever copyright restrictions or however it is termed.
    MPF is open source. If you want to make your point, that seems like a great place to start by contributing to development there.

And code an entire game from scratch on specialized hardware no one else has instead of just fixes to existing code

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

100% this.
    If the OP put together a valid business case with a defined, guaranteed ROI for going open source, I bet companies would listen to the argument at least.

Since when is it the customer's job to make business models for the companies?

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

As it stands, it's just a guy on a message board asking for something he wants (or demanding it).

That's literally what it is. A guy on a forum is saying we should have access to the source code of our games. And he's right.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think there is little to no positive benefit that can come from it.

So there's been no positive from people introducing tournament roms + fixes, home roms, etc for existing games?

Quoted from paul_8788:

The whole "should" thing though speaks to a sense of entitlement that a lot of pinheads seem to have.

If it's better for the hobby, the companies "should" try to do it, as they live and die by that. In a simpler case, whoever owns the rights to the classic sterns "should" release the source code to them. There's no downside for them, they're not in the business anymore. Just throw the disk up on github and let the community take care of it. It'd be better for everyone involved.

Is it actually viable for modern games? I don't think any of us know their business internally well enough to say. Would it be better for pinball if they did? Yes. Will they bother if no one asks for it? I doubt it. If it turns out to be impossible on their end after everyone asks for it, would they do it? No. So the best course of action is to ask for it. But no one listens if you just ask politely, so we need to demand it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/call-to-action-demand-open-source-code-from-all-producers?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.