1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

checkpoint_price (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 1 year ago

I love open source and contribute to many projects, but I don't see a play for open source code for large company's games.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Free labor? Why do most tech companies open source much of their code?

Free labor via open source is a myth everywhere I've seen it. It actually costs the company I work for more time and money to have some of our products open sourced.

We use it mainly as a PR tool and a recruiting tool. The structure we have around accepting and reviewing a pull request is pretty large.
    It has to be when incorporating code written by Bob in his garage into an almost billion dollar product offering.

As a tip to you aspiring programmers out there, if you know a company you want to work for, find one of their open source projects and contribute meaningful code to it over the course of a couple months. If they like what you are doing you could easily land a job.

#54 1 year ago

You could just use MPF and a laptop and recode any Spike machine to do whatever you want, for free.

Assets like art and video are not available to you anyway because of whatever copyright restrictions or however it is termed.

MPF is open source. If you want to make your point, that seems like a great place to start by contributing to development there.

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I'm trying not to get to technical , most people don't seem to understand modern day code development
    practices. Perhaps this is the core issue. Easily resolved by going open source.

Yes, people that don't agree with you just don't understand it....... that's definitely the problem here.....

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oldgoat:

This is the crux of the issue. What is the business case for expending the time and money to do this?

100% this.

If the OP put together a valid business case with a defined, guaranteed ROI for going open source, I bet companies would listen to the argument at least. As it stands, it's just a guy on a message board asking for something he wants (or demanding it).

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

There is a valid business case, MPF and Gerrys offerings both have an open source component to them:

MPF is a non-profit, and I don't see the code for Lexi Lightspeed up anywhere, though to Gerry's benefit he has stated he will post that at sometime in the future.

Quoted from zacaj:

That's literally what it is. A guy on a forum is saying we should have access to the source code of our games. And he's right.

I believe he is wrong, and I think there is little to no positive benefit that can come from it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 50.00
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 12.99
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 30.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside