Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

checkpoint_price (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

First its 11:3pm and I'm baffled by lack of availability of open source code from pinball manufacturers.

I'm baffled by the fact that you can't type the time properly.

I really find it annoying that we dont get a chance to contribute to code on games.

Why? You're not an employee of a pinball company. Why would a company want you to monkey with their product? Why do you want to work for free? Go do your job, enjoy your free time.

This would #1 Increase interest in pinball

Maybe with like 4 mega nerds.

I know I would glady contribute to bugfixes, updates and new feature request if it meant fixing my favorite machines bugs.

Here's how to handle that. Don't buy games with unfinished code and bugs. The people selling the product will fix it.

First top pinball manufacturering company to do this, will come put on top!

Yeah, no.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

What if I enjoy fixing pinball code?

Plenty of options besides demanding a company let you alter their proprietary product.

1. Apply for a job at a pinball company.
    2. Buy a P-ROC
    3. Make your own game.

Quoted from zacaj:

Free labor? Why do most tech companies open source much of their code?

Do gaming companies? Do coin-op companies? This isn't a "piece of tech". It's a "finished" product. (In theory lol)

Quoted from zacaj:

How's that been working out for ya?

I stopped buying games. Worked out great! Just playing all the bug free finished ones that exist!

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Plenty of options, yes, but the best one for pinball in general is if they'd just release the code.

It's been said before, it'll never happen. Partially due to the games being licensed. Partially due to companies being protective of their R&D. There's nothing in it for the companies to open source their code, and only a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of pinball enthusiasts would even understand or care what "open code" is or does. It's not something that'll move the meter at all...so the premise of this thread: "Call to action" and "DEMAND" is just laughable entitled mega-nerd stuff.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

it's in no way entitled to want to be able to fix the code on your $7000 machine.

The premise of the thread is the epitome of entitlement. DEMAND! CALL TO ACTION! ...c'mon.

Don't buy $7000 pinball machines that don't have complete/bug-free code. Don't reward companies that make poor products and charge that much.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Yeah, and screw those people who did, they have no right to ask for better treatment. You bought the game, you are entitled to complete code. If the company can't deliver, it's on them.

Exactly. Take it up with them.

I feel bad if anyone bought a game with boned code...but that's been Stern's M.O. for almost a decade at this point. The info is available for all to see on da internets....buyer beware.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/call-to-action-demand-open-source-code-from-all-producers?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.