• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

54D324F8-68B4-47A6-8725-60CB440FDB38 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

So, during this lock in, I decided to be a dumb ass and break my beautiful LOTR LE. I will not get into the details as I am still embarrassed by my stupidity . Needless to point out I was really POed at myself

That being said , I thought I had a problem with the CPU Board and after doing a little research , I contacted Chris through pinside.

He responded right away and after trading a few texts / pictures , he confirmed my 500 dollar CPU needed work.

I have never sent a board out for work before so I was a little concerned. His website provided straight forward directions and I got it out the next day. Chris notified me a couple of days later that the board arrived at his place safely.

I figured it would take awhile , but after a couple days , I got the email that all was fixed. Chris actually took a YouTube film of the board being tested so that I could see it working before returning the board to me in the mail. I received the board today and it works . No more busted LOTR!!!!

Just wanted to thank Chris publicly as he was timely and very professional. People like Chris make this a great hobby. I would have no hesitation reaching out for his help any time in the future.
image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago

Yep, Chris does great work.

#4 4 years ago

Had a great experience with Chris - his work is top notch

#5 4 years ago

He's helped me on a couple of boards. Chris does great work. Many thanks Chris!

#6 4 years ago

Chris is a great guy, and is always helping people on the tech forum threads as well. He's a true asset to Pinside and pinball as a whole.

#7 4 years ago

I really like these threads. Great job Hibler!

#8 4 years ago

I had Chris fix a Austin powers CPU a few years back. Came back looking like a new board and worked perfectly. Excellent at what he does

#9 4 years ago

Hooray for another successful board repair by Chris! However, this thread desperately needs more embarrassing details on why the board needed repairs!

#10 4 years ago

Chris has fixed a few Data East boards for me over the years, nothing but good things to say about his work.

#11 4 years ago

He even fixed my Hyperball boards. Who does that??!!

Chris is great!

Chris (not Hibler)

#12 4 years ago

He helps people at shows too. Great guy.

#13 4 years ago

Chris is a great guy. He knows his stuff and is good at what he does.

#14 4 years ago

He also wrote and maintains a lot of the Pinwiki information.

Without ChrisHibler and the other OGs would we even have a hobby? It’s hard to overstate their importance.

#15 4 years ago

Pile on, Chris Hibler...great guy, extremely helpful and knowledgeable, and excellent service! Did I miss anything? : )

#16 4 years ago

Great news it is working again. Hope he got you set up with NVRAM as well.

Did you plug something in wrong originally? Would be nice to know so others can watch out for the same.

#17 4 years ago

Great board work, and even better knowledge dropped on here and at pinwiki. Chris is the best in the business

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Did you plug something in wrong originally? Would be nice to know so others can watch out for the same.

I installed NVRAM in my DE Star Trek and the machine bricked (yes the game was off and I made sure the notch was oriented the correct way). Dunno what the hell happened. Put in the old RAM and the game was still dead. . .oh well. It will get figured out, eventually.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Hooray for another successful board repair by Chris! However, this thread desperately needs more embarrassing details on why the board needed repairs!

Yes, Chris did set me up with NVRAM (his suggestion)

LOL, All I will say, trying to remove a chip to install a pin sound board and broke some traces.

#20 4 years ago

One of the nicest guys around too.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

I installed NVRAM in my DE Star Trek and the machine bricked (yes the game was off and I made sure the notch was oriented the correct way). Dunno what the hell happened. Put in the old RAM and the game was still dead. . .oh well. It will get figured out, eventually.

Have installed NVRAM on a half dozen DE generally without issue, in fact they seem to be the least perturbed by the operation. Something else might have been disturbed in the install and causing your current issue. Board flex, connector bumped, etc. I'd start by pulling any socketed chips on the board, giving a quick clean of the legs and reinstall.

And yes Chris is a great resource, I have checked out a few of his videos and postings here on Pinside.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

One of the nicest guys around too.

Yep, had a great experience with Chris. Definitely knows his stuff (more that I'll ever know, that's for sure). Fixed a board on my Monopoly about a year ago. Great service and great price.

#23 4 years ago

I messed up on my IJ way back and boards went out to Chris. He does a great job. Used a few more times too.

#24 4 years ago

Chris has helped me with a few board repairs also!

#25 4 years ago

Another one for Chris. Helped me with a JM board. I tried to install a socket for U20, ended up pulling a trace (didnt have a desolder gun at the time). He made it all better!!

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

Please start a new repair thread with this issue, please include information about any board work about the MPU or original DE Power Supply that was also done. But also measure the 5volts on the power supply. If it is below 4.8volts, this is likely the issue as the smaller capacitors on the power supply tend to leak. A lot of times, loss of this 5 volts tends to happen about the same time as something else you happen do in the game, just by coincidence.

I'm sure Chris would be happy to look over the pair of boards for you.

#27 4 years ago

Please start a new repair thread with this issue, please include information about any board work about the MPU or original DE Power Supply that was also done. But also measure the 5volts on the power supply. If it is below 4.8volts, this is likely the issue as the smaller capacitors on the power supply tend to leak. A lot of times, loss of this 5 volts tends to happen about the same time as something else you happen do in the game, just by coincidence.
I'm sure Chris would be happy to look over the pair of boards for you.

Will do.

#28 4 years ago

Chris has fixed boards and troubleshooted some issues for me. Great person to deal with.

#29 4 years ago

What a wonderful thread to wake up to this morning.
I'm flattered, and I humbly thank all of you for your kind comments.

I retired from Boeing on February 25th, 2020. I was the chief engineer for the F/A-18 Super Hornet at Boeing. That was a great job...but pinball is at least as much fun for me.

I plan to work on boards full time.
I will restart home service calls in the St. Louis area once the COVID-19 situation passes.

I'm working through the backlog of boards that had accumulated, and I thank all for their patience. Soon, I will be out of boards in the queue.

I've been beefing up my test rig capability, and adding time saving features to them. This has been a lot of fun.

I plan to improve my YT channel presentations a bit...they are a bit raw right now.

Once again, thank you all. I'm humbled.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I retired from Boeing on February 25th, 2020. I was the chief engineer for the F/A-18 Super Hornet at Boeing. That was a great job...but pinball is at least as much fun for me.
I will restart home service calls in the St. Louis area once the COVID-19 situation passes.
I'm working through the backlog of boards that had accumulated, and I thank all for their patience. Soon, I will be out of boards in the queue.
I've been beefing up my test rig capability, and adding time saving features to them. This has been a lot of fun.
I plan to improve my YT channel presentations a bit...they are a bit raw right now.
--

What an amazing day job you had! I am sure you have a lot of stories

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

So, during this lock in, I decided to be a dumb ass and break my beautiful LOTR LE. I will not get into the details as I am still embarrassed by my stupidity . Needless to point out I was really POed at myself
That being said , I thought I had a problem with the CPU Board and after doing a little research , I contacted Chris through pinside.
He responded right away and after trading a few texts / pictures , he confirmed my 500 dollar CPU needed work.
I have never sent a board out for work before so I was a little concerned. His website provided straight forward directions and I got it out the next day. Chris notified me a couple of days later that the board arrived at his place safely.
I figured it would take awhile , but after a couple days , I got the email that all was fixed. Chris actually took a YouTube film of the board being tested so that I could see it working before returning the board to me in the mail. I received the board today and it works . No more busted LOTR!!!!
Just wanted to thank Chris publicly as he was timely and very professional. People like Chris make this a great hobby. I would have no hesitation reaching out for his help any time in the future.
[quoted image]

A great guy with a wealth of knowledge and he's been that way as long as I've known him!

7 months later
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

--

Chris, I hope you and yours had a fantastic Thanksgiving!

I had no idea that you worked and retired from Boeing. I work for them as well but sadly I have several years to go before I get to retire. I work in the Seattle area with the Flight Test part of the organization.

Some time ago I sent you a set of boards from a Flash machine that my son and I are working on. We’re really looking forward to getting those back after you perform your magic on them. You must have quite the queue going because of the lock down. I’m sure everyone sent out their boards for repair.

Thanks again!

1 month later
#34 3 years ago

He has done at least a half dozen board repairs and/or tests for me over the years. Always outstanding work and communication.

And congrats on your recent retirement Chris. You are a great resource for all of us.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:Chris, I hope you and yours had a fantastic Thanksgiving!
I had no idea that you worked and retired from Boeing. I work for them as well but sadly I have several years to go before I get to retire. I work in the Seattle area with the Flight Test part of the organization.
Some time ago I sent you a set of boards from a Flash machine that my son and I are working on. We’re really looking forward to getting those back after you perform your magic on them. You must have quite the queue going because of the lock down. I’m sure everyone sent out their boards for repair.
Thanks again!

Update: I just want to let everyone know that I received all 4 Williams Flash boards back from Chris and he did an incredible job repairing/upgrading the basket case I sent him. He ever went so far as to humor me and incorporate a modification that wasn’t truly needed but that I wanted done for my own peace of mind.

I put all the boards in the machine and fired it up. I did have one small issue and I got in touch with Chris. He was kind enough to drop everything he was doing and help me troubleshoot the issue via text. In the end we found out it was playfield related, easily rectified, and everything was up and running.

Great guy, great work, willing to go the extra mile and a fantastic attitude to boot. I am so glad I listened to a fellow Pinsider who recommended that I send my boards to Chris.

After some playfield tweaks and adjustments everything is operating as it should. My son is arriving today back from his Holiday break and it’s all ready for him when he walks in the door.

Thanks again Chris Hibler!

54D324F8-68B4-47A6-8725-60CB440FDB38 (resized).jpeg54D324F8-68B4-47A6-8725-60CB440FDB38 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.50
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/call-out-thank-you-for-chris-hibler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.