Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by drbond
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 14 years ago

The more I read the forums the more I keep asking myself, "am I in the wrong region of the US to be a pinball enthusiest?" I keep reading about this person buying a machine to fix up for $60, and this person traveling arond with pins in his back seat selling them at fair value. The closest pinball repair/vendor to me in California is 75 miles away and as long as the machine boots up he puts it out for sale for as much as he can get.

At least I don't live in Vegas. I hear machines are really expensive there, even at the pawn shops.

#2 14 years ago

What do you mean Cali vs. USA.....how about USA vs. the rest of the WORLD!?!? You guys in the states have pretty much ALL the pinballs/parts stores/retail outlets/expos/.........etc.....that you could ask for! If you live in Cali there is SOOOO many resources for pinball there! 75 miles doesn't seem like much to me to travel. I went 840 miles to buy 2 non-working machines in the USA last year because there is absolutely nothing around here for sale where I live in western canada! YA I'M BITCHIN'!!!

#3 14 years ago

Yeah, there's plenty of parts houses here and I can get whatever I need in a couple days shipped right to my door, but I'm talking about the entire pin itself. Where's my grand find for next to nothing that just needs some time and love to bring it back to life? That's what I want.

#4 14 years ago

Use my strategy --> Be Proactive

Ask to your friends, family, people in email copy you don't know , but you received.
    Garage sales ?

Put a poster on the rear windows of your car !

#5 14 years ago

STERN SPIDERMAN PINBALL WANTED
    IN GOOD CONDITION
    WITH SHAKER MOTOR
    SUBWOOFER & LED LIGHTS
    WILLING TO PAY $1000

In the back window of your car! Nice 1 lb45

#6 14 years ago

To even have a Pinball vendor in the same country at all seems like luxury to me

#7 14 years ago

Hmmm ... dunno about location. I just keep my eye out and keep passing the word around that I buy pinball machines. I came across Wolfman just browsing craigslist one day and called him. Now we're good friends. I passed on a Dale Jr. pinball machine just last weekend. Even though they are rare that's the one driver I root against every race.

People still call me about fixing but I find my own enough work. But I do get the occasional out-of-the-blue seller call.

I prefer the cheap "fixer-uppers" too. I'm glad the Torch is finally working reliably. I was almost kicking myself for spending the $90 plus parts on it.

P.S. I just now got a return email from Wolfman and he is heading out to LA after here so you could always meet him there if he has something you want to buy.

#8 14 years ago

Yeah, L.A. is a solid 6 hour drive. I guess I'm just being impatient. Either that, or I'm going to have to get my driving gloves on and make some long trips.

#9 14 years ago

just got to keep looking and be ready to roll

2 months later
    #10 13 years ago

A lot of it too is just plain luck and timing. But throwing up an add in forums doesn't hurt either, you never know when somebody has just 'had enough' and wants a machine gone at any low price...... but is too lazy to get around to taking photos and posting it up themselves.

Also, trying going to craigLOOK.com instead of the usual craigsLIST. It searches all the craigslist pages nationwide, instead of just one section, and you can do it by distance from your location. It really pops up a lot more choices. Oh, and since craigslist is very exact about spelling, try also seaching for "Pin Ball" as well as "Pinball", as it does get some extra ads for you.

-Hans

Edit: D'oh! Sorry for the necro-post on this one.

#11 13 years ago

You here in California Letter_K?

If I were you, I'd wait till California Extreme this July, if your in the realm of wanting a new pin. Great prices, and machines on sale are usually already shopped out and in working order.

If you find some pinheads around, they can even help you load it on your truck/vehicle for transportation. Some sellers are super nice and will even help you transport it to your place (barring you are in the local area).

#12 13 years ago

I do have to agree that in California who do have a surplus of pins, but they are over priced most of the time. I want a less then $2000 TZ.

#13 13 years ago

I doubt you will ever see a TZ for less then 2000 i came across the lowest one iver ever seen about a week ago they wer sellnig it for 2900.

#14 13 years ago

I was kidding because I have seen posts on this sight were ppl have bought there TZ for $1500 or $1700 or something like that.

#15 13 years ago

My dream is to move to California and open a combination pinball arcade, munchies restaurant, and medical marijuana clinic

#16 13 years ago

"I need a quarter, and some quarters, please."

#17 13 years ago

TZ for 1500 bucks damn why cant i find anything like that.

#18 13 years ago

How about the Dixon, California Pinagogo in May? I am in the city right next to it and plan on heading over there...should be fun.

#19 13 years ago

Ah. Never been to one of those shows super8man. Usual ones I attend are CAX and the Pacific Pinball Expo during the fall. PPE is the place to be if you are a fan of EMs.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/california-vs-the-rest-of-the-usa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.