(Topic ID: 253208)

California power companies shut off power for thousands.

By cottonm4

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 489 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.10 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.49 PM (resized).png
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    sadhansenmiddle (resized).jpg
    nf00b9-b88257666z.120141113140914000g9u69fh7.10 (resized).jpg
    EC4EC243-CAB5-4DD8-A35D-5579D7DE14A6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20191109-072345_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20191108_205715 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573154512120 (resized).jpg
    salton-sea-1950s (resized).jpg
    0BFD8780-B959-4D0D-B758-C6F536B1E0FD (resized).jpeg
    santamonica03 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9483 (resized).PNG
    Standing ovation.gif
    IMG_2998 (resized).jpg
    whynotbothgirl (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djshakes.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

1.) It’s not the norm
    2.) Homelessness exists everywhere
    3.) Political discussion requires critical thought, not repeating propaganda you hear from Tucker Klansman, Rush Limpballs, or Sean Hamtitties.

You're as delusional as those you condemn. The sad thing is both sides (politicians) are corrupt as hell. The difference is your base wants more of it (big government type/nanny state).

San Fran is the model, and as much as you want to deny it, the streets are littered in shit and needles. Trust me, I've been there multiple times and cringe when I have to return for work. No city compares besides maybe Detroit (not as much shit and needles, just a beaten down city). Almost every city has been under one form of political control for decades.

Politics before country I guess.

Sincerely,

Someone wishing for a third party

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

oooh ooh ooh...got to hold out, might lose it....a thread with a chance to bash CA and "libtards" AND environmental concerns...finally, my right wing hate can be unleashed!!!....ooooh...hold it...hold it....AAAAAAAAHH!!!, crap there it goes. damn it. Back to hating myself.
    Oh. Just checked, politics is actually NOT allowed on pinside. Huh, didn't know that.

(edited)

Mark Twain:
    It's easier to fool someone than convince them that they have been fooled.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Detroiters, represent!
    Damn, I bet it was nice to be alive 75 years ago when this place was thriving. The "at least it's not Detroit" shit gets old.

Despite my comments I hope the city can turn around, I just don't think it can happen unless major changes are made. What a shame...such a beautiful city in it's day. Just beautiful.

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Cool false equivalency, bro. A “both sides” guy, eh?
    Also learn the difference between you’re and your.

Foxnews = Propaganda wing of the RNC
    CNN, MSNBC, ABC, every other legacy media = Propaganda wing of the DNC

The legacy media is dead journalism and the only people defending it are boomers.

I'm out. Surprised this thread lasted as long as it has. Would think it would be easier to shut it down than moderate.

#131 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

All Californians will eventually end up in Oregon or Washington.
    I thought when i moved to OR, my water bill would go down,
    as it rains all the time in the NW (~50"/yr) and water should be plentiful.
    Was I surprized when i got my first water bill.
    During the winter it averages about $80 a month
    and during the summer when I actually water my lawn, its about $180/mo.
    When I lived in Bakersfield CA ( where average rainfall is about 6in /yr)
    my water bill in winter was about $30/mo and during the summer when i had to water everyday
    otherwize my lawn would burn up due to 90-100'F weather for 6 months
    my water bill might top out at $80/mo.
    Turns out in Oregon water is controlled by the cities
    and its their indirect way of taxing its citizens,
    thats another reason why so many lawns are brown.

Tx and Idaho are the new hosts. Oregon and Washington have already been infected.

#133 4 years ago

I'm a Californian, you can't get rid of me. LOL.

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Water I pump from my well is free! Sure that’ll change one day.

If it moves tax it, if it keeps moving regulate it, if it stops moving subsidize it.

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

And Im not saying its a bad thing, smart infact. The problem is, its the voters who elect the idiots who enact the laws that drive prices up. Then the voters cash out, leave the high prices behind and move somewhere. Unfortunately, the voters dont leave their stupidity behind and start voting for the same stupid policies that drove them out in the first place.

This

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Some quick points:
    - Concerned about electric? Solar panels are free in California and for the price of a pin you can get a Tesla power wall. This dual setup is not doable in most states but totally works here because of our endless sunshine, saves you a ton of money, gets you a tax credit, and no more concerns about power outages.
    - Concerned about gas prices? Go electric on car, this combined with the above saves a small fortune, is easily doable in California, gets you a tax credit and gas prices will never concern you again.

Free!?!?!???? Please do tell. I bought solar and after rebate it came to about $8k and I knew the owner of the company. I got it cheaper than anyone I know. This is utter bs. You can't even get it free on a lease and they keep your overage. My buddy installing now. Please tell were these free gibs for the masses are.

Oh, and pertaining to your tax comment.
    Screenshot_20191011-072033_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191011-072033_Chrome (resized).jpg

#198 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There is no managing once the winds start.
    The hot summer has dried everything out. The hot dry winds this time of year do the rest.
    Shutting down power is only one step they can take.
    I've got tall palm trees at work bent over pointing sideways, and the wind hasn't really picked up steam yet.

Pretty much this. We are trying to fight a natural occurrence. I'm not saying the fight isn't worth it, but fires are natural for the habitat here. I remember taking a tour in the redwoods and the guide mentioned they didn't understand how the seeds wouldn't drop from the trees. They learned that fire causes the seeds to drop so they scorch the bottom of the trees (something like that).

One has to remember how vast and large CA is. So various areas have various natural issues (flooding, mud slides, fires, earthquakes, temperature). You could honestly break this state up into multiple states it is so large (I wish they would but will never happen for political reasons).

I'm from WI, and although I don't agree with the politics out here, it would be hard to move back because I would rather deal with all those other natural issues than winter. Again, I'm in San Diego, which is THE best climate mainland (if you prefer 65-75 degrees and sunny year round). I live by the coast. Moving inland 15 miles will change that climate by 15 degrees in either direction. If I had to live anywhere else in CA I would move. It wouldn't be worth it. I firmly believe if it wasn't for the weather no one would live here. You pay the sunshine tax for a reason. No one would pay what they pay out here to live in the Midwest. This is a large reason why people of all political leanings tolerate what they do out here. It's basically the laffer curve theory. The government squeezes you just to the point of revolt (moving). They never say it, but that has been monarch/government philosophy since the beginning of time.

#201 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't have any but solar panels are popping up all over the place. On days like today there is plenty of sunshine to run them. Year round there is plenty. My electric bill is so low I don't need them. I can do without power for some time if need be.
    In the fire areas a backup generator is all that is really needed or a wind driven generator in these conditions makes pretty good sense.

The only reason it makes economic sense to buy solar is if you run your AC or have a pool you heat (electric pumps). The technology and cost isn't quite there yet to justify owning based on the payback scale. Especially considering how much people move. I'm an analyst, trust me, I've done the math. With that said, I bought solar because we use our AC. My electric bill for the year was about $400. My payback was about 5 years and factoring about 50 cents on the dollar return on investment when I sell the house as a feature....and I got a hell of a deal and subsidy on mine.

#217 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Your electric bill was $33. per month? This must be after you installed solar. What was it prior to that?

Yes, AFTER solar.

Keep in mind, we aren't necessarily comparing apples to apples pertaining to usage before and after solar. We limited our AC usage prior because we were footing the bill. During summer months your bill can get up to $400.

I don't have my exact calcs so going off of memory.

Prior usage: $2400 a year let's say factoring in summer months with limited AC

Current: $400 annual with heavier AC usage

Savings: $2K per year. My cost of solar after subsidies and heavy bro discount was about $8K. Figure it adds some value to the house when we sell but hard to quantify. At 50 cents on the dollar payback roughly two years. No brainer. Sorry, my figure above was off. However, no subsidy (I think tax write of ends this year?) and paying full freight you are looking about anywhere from $15-25K. Now consider some of the companies mark up during times of tax rebates. So let's say you get a unit owned for $15K. That's a seven year break-even if you don't plan on selling the house. I think eventually the technology will be better and the cost cheaper as with most things.

#220 4 years ago

Yup you lease them, we went with Sunrun around 8 years or so ago. 0$ down, 0$ charge, all maintenance covered free for the entire lease, guaranteed electric monthly production and your electric bill instantly goes down saving you money on day one. Combine that with an electric car and between the gas and electric bill the savings are *huge*. Because they handle all maintenance free forever they are truly worry free, unlike if you buy them. We don't get overage because we use a lot of electric (two electric cars, I work from home so a/c runs all day, lots of tech gear, etc), but we went from our last big bill being around $620 in one month back 8 years ago to around a peak max of $320 today. The panels alone literally have saved us many thousands of dollars, and gas savings has been in the thousands as well.
    If you have electric over production then get a Tesla powerwall, that will save your overage and also power your home if the power goes out, it costs about the price of a pin but you get a tax credit for it. Side bonus, they are a local company and I always try and support local. There's lots of California incentives like this, we take advantage of all of them, has saved us a small fortune.
    Seriously, look into all this! That's what I mean when I say ignore what other people say and do your own research as to what your location offers. So while others just keep repeating "California bad" we in turn are both very much data and numbers people so we look at what's available, crunch some numbers and sign up if it saves us money.
    EDIT: Forgot to comment on taxes, here's a link for you: https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/taxes/T006-S001-10-least-tax-friendly-states-in-the-u-s-2019/index.html

Wow you love to attack me and be obtuse in the process. Do you just like drama or what? They are there in that picture because, get this, they are fire fighters and that is their job, just like policemen get near the bad guys. My "walk away" comment is unbelievably simple to understand, I'm assuming you actually do get it but are being purposely silly just because you seem to love to attack me. But I'll spell it out for you. A fire starts what do you do? Do you sit there and get burned, or do you leave your home and drive away? That's what I mean, it's a natural disaster that is easy to avoid. Counter that to tornado's which can strike randomly anywhere even over your head. Have you ever been in one? I have. There is no escape for those unless you are lucky to be in a concrete garage, which is where we were when some struck when we lived in Texas. Get it now? Likewise if you look at the data just living in winter is more dangerous as all natural disasters. Been there and done that too.
    To the fires, yeah they suck but understand the media is in the business of making everything look as bad as possible. There's a fire burning right now near our house some miles away but if you go outside you'd never know it. However if you watch it on tv they make it look like the apocalypse because that keeps people watching and keeps ad revenue flowing. It's no different when we lived in Seattle years ago and they had a 7.8 earthquake. We'd go outside and you'd never know anything happened, but on tv they successfully made it look like armageddon. I can't tell you how many times I've had family and friends call from back in Canada asking if we are ok because tv made stuff look so bad, only for me to tell them that we didn't even notice.
    There is tons of wilderness here which is just vulnerable to being burned so yeah if you build your house in the middle of wilderness it will have a chance of being burned. For most people this isn't the case, you may get smoke sometimes but even that is relatively rare. We've had to deal with smoke maybe 3 times in 14 years that we've been here.

8 years ago is not today. You are not going to get these deals today and if they advertise as such it is a lie with hidden costs. The reason it was free before was because they could sell the overages, you don't own equipment, they do. They sell the overages back to the power companies. Since you installed many more people have installed solar. The overage payback price is next to nothing now. I don't even sell mine back because it is basically worthless. It is better to bank it in case you have overages in the upcoming year. You statement, although true a decade ago, isn't even remotely close to accurate in the current market.

As for, just drive away. You are failing to realize how fast fires move. A majority of these fires happen in communities on the outskirts that have limited access, like O-din mentioned. There is a reason why the city tells you to have shit ready to move. Basically your family pictures, and anything you can fit in a trunk. Upon evacuation those two lane roads in and out clog fast. They are bottle necks. The fires spread so fast out here last year that the horses were being burned alive even after being released from their stables. They honestly almost move as fast as a tornado in some instances. The fires in Thousand Oaks aren't as bad. My in-laws lived there.

I will agree with you that the media loves to sensationalize everything. Politics, natural disasters, civil unrest. They are in the business of entertaining now....sad to say.

#232 4 years ago

They actually still do offer it: https://www.sunrun.com/solar-lease . We even negotiated with them at the time to where if we decide to replace our roof within 10 years they would re-install the system for free, got that in writing although admittedly I don't know if they would do that today. As for overage, just setup your electric account as net metering (NEM). It's not automatic, that's something you have to do. I don't know about other states but in California that works like this:
    "Under NEM, the customer's electric meter keeps track of how much electricity is consumed by the customer, and how much excess electricity is generated by the system and sent back into the electric utility grid. Over a 12-month period, the customer has to pay only for the net amount of electricity used from the utility over-and-above the amount of electricity generated by their solar system"
    If your state doesn't offer that then go for a Tesla Powerwall to bank the overage. NEM is kinda the reason some people say it's not worth getting a Tesla Powerwall in California because you get full credit for your overage if you are setup as NEM. We don't have one for that reason although I've considered getting one just because it would be cool to have backup power just in case.

Sure if you live in more outskirt areas you have to be ready to move because there is so much fire fuel out there, I even mentioned that but that doesn't really apply to most people. It's like those that live in the hills of Malibu, they realize their is risk but they do it anyways, but for most people it's a non issue because we live on typical blocks. You do have to heed evacuation notices though and not wait until the last minute. We actually do have first hand experience on how fast a fire moves during the Woolsey fire, got right up close and personal, but that was due to our own stupidity lol.

Everything I've read about those solar tiles seem to indicate them being both extremely difficult to get a hold of, and just not worth it. They sure look cool though.

I think I would rather own then lease. Under a lease you are paying a monthly bill and maybe 20% less than previous bill. Owning is better for resale and I don't want to pay a monthly energy bill, even if it is less than before. When you own the system you pay once a year. Nothing is for free. If you lease they take your federal credit and lock you in at your current rate (or slightly discounted). Not even close to being free. You are not paying $0 monthly and $0 down. The company would make nothing.

https://www.chooseenergy.com/news/article/pros-cons-solar-lease/

1 month later
    #481 4 years ago

Hey buddy, in case you didn't know, this is called "progress". I guess progress means wanting to keep things the same. Orwellian times my friend....Orwellian times.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider djshakes.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/california-power-companies-shut-off-power-for-thousands?tu=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.