(Topic ID: 253208)

California power companies shut off power for thousands.

By cottonm4

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 489 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.10 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.49 PM (resized).png
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    sadhansenmiddle (resized).jpg
    nf00b9-b88257666z.120141113140914000g9u69fh7.10 (resized).jpg
    EC4EC243-CAB5-4DD8-A35D-5579D7DE14A6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20191109-072345_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20191108_205715 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573154512120 (resized).jpg
    salton-sea-1950s (resized).jpg
    0BFD8780-B959-4D0D-B758-C6F536B1E0FD (resized).jpeg
    santamonica03 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9483 (resized).PNG
    Standing ovation.gif
    IMG_2998 (resized).jpg
    whynotbothgirl (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adol75.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 4 years ago

What happens when public utilties are privatized.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

PGE is a cluster of an organization. This their over reaction to the past fires. So sad they are so inept this is the only option. Amazing that in 2019 this is their best option.
    Power outages are real. My vacation home is out and will be for some time.

Power outages are real, I saw a bunch of people yesterday driving their frozen meat to some other parts of the town where people still had electricity.

Quoted from Dent00:

You can probably look at the telephone company as an example of what happens.
    You get lots of smaller companies that figure out how to run their business the best way to increase profit.
    Some people might get better service or better rates, others might not...

Not really, telephone companies are on a competitive market, people can choose so quality of service matters. PG&E is the sole ruler of both distribution and billing.
    What we pay for right now is the results of decades of failed investments. They go bankrupt we pay for it, they lose billions in law suit we pay for it, and if they need to invest we pay for it too. But then of course if they make any kind of profit we won't get paid for it.

Whatever the way our options as consumers are between losing and losing.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

And Dems have run Cali into the ground for years. Name me one other state where taking a dump in the street is the norm.

Wow ! What a great exemple of political impact !

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Does anybody really want to see this any more than they have too?[quoted image]

No one does (or I would hope no one does), but cutting power everytime there is wind or heat or any natural occurrence is not a solution. PG&E and the State of California have are fully responsible, they need to offer long term solutions.

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Ok. Since you are not from the area, and absolutely don’t have a clue about the area or what has been happening l, you might want to educate yourself.
    Pg&e is responsible for the camp fire.
    As well as others in the area. As well as several gas mains exploding and killing people. Due to their negligence to properly maintain their equipment.
    It is well documented.

That is exactly the truth ! And now they hold the people hostage for their own failure. And whatever the way we are screwed.

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Why not move? One can sell their home in Cali for say $800K and get the same size unit here for less than $200K. Further most companies I have worked for also keep the same pay rate (maybe a small increase) when moving so it is a no brainer.
    In contrast if I tried to move to California, I would keep the same pay and have to try to afford an $800K domicile. I tried it right out of college as I was offered a job in Seattle, I lasted one year and had to return to TX.

Interesting, I just had a meetup with a bunch of people from Austin, who were saying how their neighbors were moving out because of a hike in property tax and selling to fresh movers from California !

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

All Californians will eventually end up in Oregon or Washington.
    I thought when i moved to OR, my water bill would go down,
    as it rains all the time in the NW (~50"/yr) and water should be plentiful.
    Was I surprized when i got my first water bill.
    During the winter it averages about $80 a month
    and during the summer when I actually water my lawn, its about $180/mo.
    When I lived in Bakersfield CA ( where average rainfall is about 6in /yr)
    my water bill in winter was about $30/mo and during the summer when i had to water everyday
    otherwize my lawn would burn up due to 90-100'F weather for 6 months
    my water bill might top out at $80/mo.
    Turns out in Oregon water is controlled by the cities
    and its their indirect way of taxing its citizens,
    thats another reason why so many lawns are brown.

Good ! Water should never be too cheap, it's a precious resource.

2 weeks later
    #398 4 years ago

The good side of the power shutoff. We took the kids on an improvised family trip, schools are closed anyways. Closing schools still makes no sense to me though, it’s probably the one place where no one needs electricity.

The bad side, I’m gonna throw away a good 1000$ of groceries when we come back.

#437 4 years ago

These eucalyptus trees were not supposed to be in California to begin with. They are fragile and can start a fire instantly. I have so many of them around my property and they are huge. I dont even know where to start to get rid of them.

Side note, I just got home after a week without electricity, I have 30 pounds of meat and 20 of fish that can go straight to garbage. No more food hoarding in Norcal I guess.

#441 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Isnt the earth a closed system? Water gets used, evaporates, goes back into the atmosphere, falls as rain, gets used again....we cant run out of water, where would it go?

Our planet is not exactly a fish tank !

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adol75.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/california-power-companies-shut-off-power-for-thousands?tu=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.