(Topic ID: 253208)

California power companies shut off power for thousands.

By cottonm4

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 489 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.10 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.49 PM (resized).png
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    sadhansenmiddle (resized).jpg
    nf00b9-b88257666z.120141113140914000g9u69fh7.10 (resized).jpg
    EC4EC243-CAB5-4DD8-A35D-5579D7DE14A6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20191109-072345_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20191108_205715 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573154512120 (resized).jpg
    salton-sea-1950s (resized).jpg
    0BFD8780-B959-4D0D-B758-C6F536B1E0FD (resized).jpeg
    santamonica03 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9483 (resized).PNG
    Standing ovation.gif
    IMG_2998 (resized).jpg
    whynotbothgirl (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FlippinJimmy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

No idea where your from or whether or not u ever get out of the house, but this happens all over the country. Certainly not limited to Cal...

Actually no. It doesn't. Born and raised in Cali. Living elsewhere now but can tell you for sure that California has a very specific set of issues.

Part of the problems is that your fellow Californians are tolerant of homelessness and many communities are tolerant to open drug use. The other issue is you have a climate that is conducive to living on the streets.

Not disrespecting California by any means. Just pointing out that if you think every city has people camped out on the interstate in tents like on the 5 then you should travel more.

BTW, a large corporate conference was just cancelled in San Fran. because of the issues going on there. Until the city is cleaned up there is no way I will visit again.

#145 4 years ago

PSA-

If you frequently lose power or know you are going to lose power then put a cup of water in the freezer. Once frozen stick a quarter on top of the ice. Leave it in the freezer.

If you ever lose power and the quarter is at the bottom of the cup don't eat the food. It's evidence that the freezer temp dropped.

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Don't you mean risen?

No. In a power outage the ice melts. Quarter drops to the bottom. If power is restored the ice refreezes with the quarter at the bottom of the cup. Good indicator you have lost power for a long enough period that your food has thawed.

#180 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This thread is a joke. California is on fire again.

Are you taking request to change your avatar? Somehow your old one seemed friendlier. New one doesn't seem to fit. Perhaps we start a thread of recommended avatars for O-din?

#182 4 years ago

New Stern pin just announced. Theme is California. Music by LL Cool J.
    Upon completion of all modes the pin catches fire.

#187 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There is no managing once the winds start.
    The hot summer has dried everything out. The hot dry winds this time of year do the rest.
    Shutting down power is only one step they can take.
    I've got tall palm trees at work bent over pointing sideways, and the wind hasn't really picked up steam yet.

I always loved the Santa Ana winds. They seemed to electrify the air. Never realized when I was young how devastating they can be when fire breaks out.

#189 4 years ago

Yep, the firefighters in Cali earn their money.

#195 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

So, how are you living? Do you have a generator in the back yard? Solar panels on your roof? Let us see some pictures of your abode and show us how it is done. If is is simple to generate for ourselves then surely you can show us how you are making your own electricity, yes?
    I'm all for anything that will save me money and make me self-reliant. I'll listen intently to any suggestions you would be willing to provide and pictures, as you know, are worth thousands of words. I check Pinside regularly.

Yeah, I'm calling BS on the "simple to generate it yourself" claim. Are we talking solar?

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from Djshakes:

The only reason it makes economic sense to buy solar is if you run your AC or have a pool you heat (electric pumps). The technology and cost isn't quite there yet to justify owning based on the payback scale. Especially considering how much people move. I'm an analyst, trust me, I've done the math. With that said, I bought solar because we use our AC. My electric bill for the year was about $400. My payback was about 5 years and factoring about 50 cents on the dollar return on investment when I sell the house as a feature....and I got a hell of a deal and subsidy on mine.

Your electric bill was $33. per month? This must be after you installed solar. What was it prior to that?

#209 4 years ago

Right. The temperature rose to allow the thawing.

I see. It all depends on what the definition of "it" is. Quarter drops but temp rises.

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I, myself, have a gas generator in the garage if needed. Not a permanent solution. I was honestly hoping those freaking solar shingles would be out soon as I will need a roof in the next couple years.
    My inlaws however, who are very close, have a natural gas generator, well system with reverse osmosis, and a septic that gets filtered and dumped into their pond. That is my plan when the shit goes bad. Go to their house.
    I would love a NG generator, I may get one some day. I would rather get a solar roof and have a shed in the back with a battery array when I can store power.
    I really liked this idea for storing energy, although unrelated to what california is going through at this moment. Check it out.
    https://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11524958/energy-storage-rail

Natural gas or propane is not actually generating power yourself. In the event of an earthquake or perhaps flooding, fire or hurricane you may lose natural gas and propane can be hard to come by in a natural disaster. Was hoping that you were going to share with us how to actually generate power.

I have a NG generator with auto transfer switch that hasn't been needed in 10 plus years but if you have ever gone several weeks without power, as I have, you will gladly pay the price for the peace of mind. AC is a beautiful thing and lights arejn't bad either.

#269 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've been tempted to go to Wichita, where I can work the soil and watch the sweat drip from every pore.

That's funny even if it isn't true that you were thinking of moving to Wichita.

I was tempted to move back to Cali where I can be over regulated while spending 9 weeks a year in traffic.

#275 4 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:Population has grown from 15 million here when I was born to 40 million today. As I was eating dinner at a restaurant on our pier, I was thinking how nice it is around here. It looked like a summer day, 75 degrees. I was also thankful that we have clean air where I live. Smoke everywhere up in LA, and we're down here enjoying another incredible day at the beach. Somehow the thoughts of being overregulated weren't in my head. Its damn expensive here with a large (for here) house. Taxes, utilities-But until someone shows me better weather, we're here till my wife retires. I retired or have been unemployed for about 10 years. I don't wait on freeways unless I'm going to an event.

I was thinking how nice it was around here too. Just took these photos from my balcony.

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG
    #314 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I was in Joplin a few weeks after that tornado. Never saw a portable Home Depot before that day.

Never even heard of one.

I was impressed you remembered you kept the postcard, remembered you had it, were able to find it and posted it. You are either really organized or a lucky hoarder.

#330 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

This "off your meds" used to be "that person must be on meds".
    Either way, it is a lame label that has run its ineffectual course.

Huh? You must be on someone else's meds.

#335 4 years ago

I don't even know what this thread is about anymore. California banning pinball or something like that??

1 week later
    #345 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Wherever the fires are burning today, that sure is some stinky air blowing this way.
    This whole week has been miserably dry and hot. We could use some humidity. This kind of heat is like they just stick you in a toaster oven on high.

Years ago many people in Cali didn't have AC in the house. Is this still the case?

#358 4 years ago

No, it "Pinball in Banning California".
    [quoted image]

Isn't that where they have that big ass thermometer that is always 110 degrees?

#443 4 years ago

If you want to know if people are moving in our out of your area check this out. https://flowsmapper.geo.census.gov/map.html

#445 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

People move out of this area when someone offers them crazy money for their house so they can move into this area.

Yep, when you sell at top dollar you frequently have to buy at top dollar. You get priced out of the market. So it makes sense to sell the home and move to a more affordable area. Just sucks when you have to leave working kids/grandkids in the area.

Check out the flow mapper I posted above and you can see where people are moving to from Orange County and San Deigo and who is replacing them.

1 week later
    #469 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I can set up a tent or even put a Dukes of Hazard car on my front lawn, or paint my house pink and purple, and unlike a snotty town 20 miles away like Irvine where you have to paint your house a certain color and can't leave your garage door open or even park in the driveway, nobody in my neighborhood can say or do anything about it.
    So it basically comes down to which community and who's running it. Ironically, Irvine was suggested as a place to move the homeless encampments on the Santa Ana river near Anaheim stadium. Not sure how that worked out for them.

Irvine was much cooler when Lion Country Safari was there. More lions, less people.

#483 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Escape Country, Trabuco Canyon.

So much has changed. Escape country was great.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FlippinJimmy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/california-power-companies-shut-off-power-for-thousands?tu=FlippinJimmy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.