(Topic ID: 253208)

California power companies shut off power for thousands.

By cottonm4

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 489 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 48 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.10 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.49 PM (resized).png
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    sadhansenmiddle (resized).jpg
    nf00b9-b88257666z.120141113140914000g9u69fh7.10 (resized).jpg
    EC4EC243-CAB5-4DD8-A35D-5579D7DE14A6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20191109-072345_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20191108_205715 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573154512120 (resized).jpg
    salton-sea-1950s (resized).jpg
    0BFD8780-B959-4D0D-B758-C6F536B1E0FD (resized).jpeg
    santamonica03 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9483 (resized).PNG
    Standing ovation.gif
    IMG_2998 (resized).jpg
    whynotbothgirl (resized).jpg

There are 489 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.
    #351 5 months ago

I always believed one of the best investments you can make is buying a piece of property, drill a well, install a septic and build a solar power system. It sounds like I did the right thing.

#352 5 months ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

I don't even know what this thread is about anymore. California banning pinball or something like that??

No, it "Pinball in Banning California".

IMG_2998 (resized).jpg

#353 5 months ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Electricity is a luxury

That could be said for TV and internet in a city. No need for mandatory curfew or other crisis response when the cable is out, but power outage creates emergencies on many fronts.

#354 5 months ago

Local news here just said power company in CA currently has 2 million people's power turned off because of fires.

#355 5 months ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

That could be said for TV and internet in a city. No need for mandatory curfew or other crisis response when the cable is out, but power outage creates emergencies on many fronts.

Maybe you prefer the wording to be no one is guaranteed electricity. The federal government regulates it because society needs it. But if you don’t pay your bill a guy like me climbs up the pole and cuts your power supply.

#356 5 months ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Maybe you prefer the wording to be no one is guaranteed electricity. The federal government regulates it because society needs it. But if you don’t pay your bill a guy like me climbs up the pole and cuts your power supply.

So you're telling us you're a buzzkill as well as a Buzz.

#357 5 months ago

No I’m a nice fun guy that makes a living building and maintaining power lines. It definitely gives me a different perspective on this situation. You haven’t lived till you’ve bit 500 thousand volts with your teeth. Remember your house runs on 120 volts. Flying under a helicopter on a 100 to 200 foot rope is pretty fun too.

#358 5 months ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

No, it "Pinball in Banning California".
    [quoted image]

Isn't that where they have that big ass thermometer that is always 110 degrees?

#359 5 months ago

You may be thinking of Baker. The Thermometer is just down the street from The Mad Greek Cafe.

#360 5 months ago

That's Baker. Banning is where the Museum of Pinball is.

#361 5 months ago

It's about 100 miles south west of baker.

#362 5 months ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

This "off your meds" used to be "that person must be on meds".
    Either way, it is a lame label that has run its ineffectual course.

Your kidding. Right?

#363 5 months ago

Years ago many people in Cali didn't have AC in the house. Is this still the case?

When I was young we didn't have any nor did the older schools all the way thru high school. We got a window unit in the livingroom when I was about 10 and that was more than enough.

Central air retrofit became big in the 1980s and that is what is in the house I live in now. But I barely ever use it maybe 3 or 4 times during the summer. It still works though.

I went by my old elementary school and they removed all the sliding patio doors we used to leave open to get fresh air and installed a mega AC system on the roof that looks like ass.

#364 5 months ago

My sister, who lives in San Diego, does not have air in her house. She claims she doesn't need it. In the late evening they open the windows and doors and then turn on one of those big-ass whole-house fans that sucks in the cool outside air and then they close the windows and doors again.

#365 5 months ago

Yep.

An older lady a couple doors down still doesn't have AC. But she's got this contraption in her attic access door that opens and sucks all the hot air from the house and blows it out the attic real fast.

I have a solar power attic vent fan that really helps, and use a combo of ceiling fans and windows to do the rest. The roof on the house is black and I will be changing it to light brown when it needs doing again. Black roof is a big mistake in So Cal.

#366 5 months ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

No I’m a nice fun guy that makes a living building and maintaining power lines. It definitely gives me a different perspective on this situation. You haven’t lived till you’ve bit 500 thousand volts with your teeth. Remember your house runs on 120 volts. Flying under a helicopter on a 100 to 200 foot rope is pretty fun too.

So, you are one of these guys. Yes? Your name should be Balls, not Buzz !

#367 5 months ago

California and it’s policies are failing. If it wasn’t for the large amount of money Silicon Valley makes they would already be sunk IMO. If shutting off the power several times a year was the new norm I would be out of there. It’s a joke.

#368 5 months ago

I'd certainly rather live here than some shithole like Massachusetts.

#369 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'd certainly rather live here than some shithole like Massachusetts.

Cali is its own little bubble that thinks one way and the rest of the country is currently disowning it and it’s dumb policies. Take a walk down the homeless parts of SF and see what I mean. Now that’s a shithole.

#370 5 months ago

We disowned MA. about the time idiots from there started showing up in droves. It's people from there that have really fkd up this state.

#371 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

We disowned MA. about the time idiots from there started showing up in droves. It's people from there that have really fkd up this state.

This is hilarious. The bubble is real.

#372 5 months ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

This is hilarious. The bubble is real.

Why do you think they are building houses out in the middle of nowhere now? Because people from the NE can't handle the cold.

#373 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Why do you think they are building houses out in the middle of nowhere now? Because people from the NE can't handle the cold.

Wait ....your saying people from NE can’t handle the cold. Keep talking Odin. People from Cali are the softest in the whole country. Stick your head out of that bubble once and a while. There is a great big world out there.

#375 5 months ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Wait ....your saying people from NE can’t handle the cold.

No, that's what they tell me with their chowda accent.

#376 5 months ago

So now the people from Cali blame everyone but the people from Cali for their problems. Typical Cali. Things won’t be getting better there anytime soon with that attitude. Bubble.

#377 5 months ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

So now the people from Cali blame everyone but the people from Cali for their problems. Typical Cali. Things won’t be getting better there anytime soon with that attitude. Bubble.

You outa just stick to worrying about how the patriots will win another Super Bowl and tell all the people ready to move here from there not to, and let us deal with all the idiots from everywhere else in our own way.

#378 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, that's what they tell me with their chowda accent.

To be honest Massachusetts is not that great anymore either. Cost of living has become more a reason to leave than the weather. At least I can admit our issues. Some just have the place their from a little too tied up in their personality. They will defend it to a fault.............bubble

#379 5 months ago

I'm just being honest. Unfortunately being a state there is no way to close it's borders and not let anybody else in.

The only problem we have that affects me is they are telling us to conserve water, but never stop building for all those that must live here.

And believe me that is a lot of people from the NE. I bet if I do a little check, many of those running the state are not from here either.

#380 5 months ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

WOW. I don't give a f who's to blame for all the stupid CALI political decisions that somehow affect people from MA. I just know its another f ing day in paradise here. San Clemente's motto "worlds best climate". Used to be "Home of the Western White House" but we all know how that ended. I think parts of MA are great. But MA has snow days and other weather events when I'm down at the beach in 75 degree weather.

#381 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm just being honest. Unfortunately being a state there is no way to close it's borders and not let anybody else in.
    The only problem we have that affects me is they are telling us to conserve water, but never stop building for all those that must live here.
    And believe me that is a lot of people from the NE. I bet if I do a little check, many of those running the state are not from here either.

Do yourself a favor and stop blaming those outside your state for Cali problems. Most from here end up in places like Florida for warm weather and low cost of living. Some highly educated people from here might go to Silicon Valley because of the high pay but that is a pretty small number. Cali has been in a bubble since the 60s. Some of that is now coming home to roost IMO. When the weather is right Cali has the best of it in the whole country. However the other issues Cali now has is making it not as appealing.

#382 5 months ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

WOW. I don't give a f who's to blame for all the stupid CALI political decisions that somehow affect people from MA. I just know its another f ing day in paradise here. San Clemente's motto "worlds best climate". Used to be "Home of the Western White House" but we all know how that ended. I think parts of MA are great. But MA has snow days and other weather events when I'm down at the beach in 75 degree weather.

Who said Cali political decisions affect people from MA? Not me. Most here now want nothing to do with Cali. IMO Cali used to have everything going for it. Now it’s just the weather when there is not a fire or mudslide? Meh. You can have it.

#383 5 months ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Do yourself a favor and stop blaming those outside your state for Cali problems.

Do yourself a favor and stop worrying about Ca. especially if you live 3000 miles away.

It's warm and sunny today and just fine where I'm sitting as usual.

#384 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Do yourself a favor and stop worrying about Ca. especially if you live 3000 miles away.

Standing ovation.gif

#385 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think it’s a good thing to try to understand ALL the great parts of this country. You live 3000 miles from here but continue to make comments about it. I say go ahead. I’m not one to try and silence people I am losing a discussion with. Oh that’s right...you have never lost a discussion in your whole life........bubble

#386 5 months ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

You live 3000 miles from here but continue to make comments about it. I say go ahead.

Perhaps you would like to comment on the millions of people that have moved from Ca. to Ma. just so they could see more snow.

#387 5 months ago

This weeks bubble forecast...

IMG_9483 (resized).PNG
    #388 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps you would like to comment on the millions of people that have moved from Ca. to Ma. just so they could see more snow.

As usual you are stuck in the distant past. Less and less people are moving there in the present future. And for good reasons. And yes I am jealous of the weather. Not enough to move there. Maybe 30 years ago but not today.

#389 5 months ago
    Quoted from onemoresean:

This weeks bubble forecast...[quoted image]

Amazing forecast. Unfortunately that’s all Cali has left. Used to be a great place on all fronts.

#390 5 months ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Who said Cali political decisions affect people from MA? Not me. Most here now want nothing to do with Cali. IMO Cali used to have everything going for it. Now it’s just the weather when there is not a fire or mudslide? Meh. You can have it.

I guessing CALI is gonna be just fine either way. If it were a country it would have the worlds 5th biggest economy.

#391 5 months ago

I was in Los Angeles last weekend; the weather was great. Unfortunately, it still sucked sitting in traffic for hours. On the upside, there weren't any power interruptions or wildfires where we were (we were at the Getty on Saturday!).

#392 5 months ago
    Quoted from SimpleSam:

I was in Los Angeles last weekend; the weather was great. Unfortunately, it still sucked sitting in traffic for hours.

That's why most of us that live here choose not to live in a big city like Los Angeles.

Quoted from jamesmc:

I guessing CALI is gonna be just fine either way. If it were a country it would have the worlds 5th biggest economy.

And when the big quake hits we may finally become our own country.

#393 5 months ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Amazing forecast. Unfortunately that’s all Cali has left. Used to be a great place on all fronts.

Quit being such a wind bag, what the hell did California ever do to you? Come into a thread that has little concern to you and crap all over it. People here are losing their homes in fires and people have their power shut off and you crap all over it. Is everyone in MA as much of a self centered, self righteous blowhard as you? I would never assume that because I don't make generalizations based on a persons location, but man you are something else.

#394 5 months ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Quit being such a wind bag, what the hell did California ever do to you? Come into a thread that has little concern to you and crap all over it. People here are losing their homes in fires and people have their power shut off and you crap all over it. Is everyone in MA as much of a self centered, self righteous blowhard as you? I would never assume that because I don't make generalizations based on a persons location, but man you are something else.

Sorry if I don’t think all of California s issues are due to out of staters. That’s ridiculous. Where I am from was called a shithole right out of the gate and I didn’t try to silence anyone. I feel bad about the fires. It’s terrible but could they have been prevented to some degree? Feel free to talk about the bad policies in MA. We have plenty. I live in the USA pal. I will talk about any state I want. Typical Cali move to isolate yourselves from the rest of this country. It’s not working but keep it up.

#395 5 months ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Sorry if I don’t think all of California s issues are due to out of staters. That’s ridiculous. Where I am from was called a shithole right out of the gate and I didn’t try to silence anyone. I feel bad about the fires. It’s terrible but could they have been prevented to some degree? Feel free to talk about the bad policies in MA. We have plenty. I live in the USA pal. I will talk about any state I want. Typical Cali move to isolate yourselves from the rest of this country. It’s not working but keep it up.

my article talking about the guy setting fires was just sarcasm at you constantly going on and on about how we created our own problems, but I can see you took me literally, my apologies for thinking you could read between the lines, obviously too much credit given there.

I don't isolate myself, but when others in other parts of the country or world are hurting or suffering I sure as hell don't go poking them and act like an insufferable blowhard. Does this somehow make you worldly?

You can talk about any state you want or whatever you want, but realize that you look like a jerk, just saying.

#396 5 months ago
    Quoted from Extraballz:

Feel free to talk about the bad policies in MA.

Most of us out here don't care. It could become one with New York and we wouldn't care. It's all the same to us.

You though for some reason have a lot to say about a place you don't even want to go to.

#397 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's why most of us that live here choose not to live in a big city like Los Angeles.

The greater Los Angeles area has over 18 million people, about half the entire state's population so, in fact, most do live in a big city like Los Angeles (although not necessarily in the city limits). The Central Valley is much less crowded and the mountains and Northern CA are quite rural.

I grew up in San Jose but spent time in different states while in the service and right after college. It's funny how you learn that being able to ski and surf in the same day just isn't that important. Although I moved back for family reasons while young, now that I am no longer tied to CA, there is not enough money in the world to get me to move back again.

But this is a thread about power outages; there's another thread about where to live.

#398 5 months ago

The good side of the power shutoff. We took the kids on an improvised family trip, schools are closed anyways. Closing schools still makes no sense to me though, it’s probably the one place where no one needs electricity.

The bad side, I’m gonna throw away a good 1000$ of groceries when we come back.

#399 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Most of us out here don't care. It could become one with New York and we wouldn't care. It's all the same to us.
    You though for some reason have a lot to say about a place you don't even want to go to.

I was in Cali 8 months ago. Fantastic weather. The best.

#400 5 months ago

Yep, living in So Cal really sucks.

santamonica03 (resized).jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Tools
    Granby Games
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Special When Lit
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 1,400.00
    £ 50.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    There are 489 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside