(Topic ID: 253208)

California power companies shut off power for thousands.

By cottonm4

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 489 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.10 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.49 PM (resized).png
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    sadhansenmiddle (resized).jpg
    nf00b9-b88257666z.120141113140914000g9u69fh7.10 (resized).jpg
    EC4EC243-CAB5-4DD8-A35D-5579D7DE14A6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20191109-072345_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20191108_205715 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573154512120 (resized).jpg
    salton-sea-1950s (resized).jpg
    0BFD8780-B959-4D0D-B758-C6F536B1E0FD (resized).jpeg
    santamonica03 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9483 (resized).PNG
    Standing ovation.gif
    IMG_2998 (resized).jpg
    whynotbothgirl (resized).jpg
    There are 489 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.
    #301 4 years ago

Most current video I can find. One started by a trash truck dumping burning trash. What a dumbshit. But why the trash was burning and what else could he do with it is another story. His truck burns it starts a fire anyway.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fires-in-california-saddleridge-wildfire-high-winds-spread-deadly-destructive-wildfires-2019-10-12/

#302 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

But I’m assuming their regulated by liberal democrats,but we can blame this on Trump it’s just easier for you and the media

You assume wrong. Trumps got nothing to do with it and the utilities in Ca are basically unregulated which is the problem. Relax man. You’re so full of anger.

#303 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

You assume wrong. Trumps got nothing to do with it and the utilities in Ca are basically unregulated which is the problem. Relax man. You’re so full of anger.

This isn't a political issue...PG&E is basically a monopoly....license to steal

#304 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Most current video I can find. One started by a trash truck dumping burning trash. What a dumbshit. But why the trash was burning and what else could he do with it is another story. His truck burns it starts a fire anyway.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fires-in-california-saddleridge-wildfire-high-winds-spread-deadly-destructive-wildfires-2019-10-12/

The official talking about what charges would be filed against the trash truck that started the fire said that they had not decided what charges would be filed. That seems a little strange. I wonder if the trash truck might be responsible for the trailers that were destroyed by the fire that he started? If my trailer was destroyed by a fire these people started, I might be seeking some legal assistance.

#305 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

I know this I was being sarcastic.
    What we need is common sense solutions in this country.I do get mad when I see how stupid some of these people who are running for president are.Free this and free that is just pandering and the ass kissing that goes on.I hope everybody is safe out there!I know what’s it’s like we lost our home in a F4 tornado at 2:45 in the morning.

#306 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

The official talking about what charges would be filed against the trash truck that started the fire said that they had not decided what charges would be filed. That seems a little strange. I wonder if the trash truck might be responsible for the trailers that were destroyed by the fire that he started? If my trailer was destroyed by a fire these people started, I might be seeking some legal assistance.

Driver probably saw his truck was on fire and dumping on the side of the road was the only way he thought he might save his vehicle.

I keep thinking if he had just let his truck burn, what then? He pulls off the road, abandons his truck, and it still starts a bigger fire.

He might not have been the brightest, but his options were kinda limited. Of course if possible, he should have notified someone and asked what to do.

#307 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Driver probably saw his truck was on fire and dumping on the side of the road was the only way he thought he might save his vehicle.
    I keep thinking if he had just let his truck burn, what then? He pulls off the road, abandons his truck, and it still starts a bigger fire.
    He might not have been the brightest, but his options were kinda limited. Of course if possible, he should have notified someone and asked what to do.

I guess that makes sense. I wonder if insurance will cover a trailer destroyed by fire caused like that. I would be willing to bet that the insurance companies involved will seek compensation from the trash truck company.

#308 4 years ago

Yes, I wonder if he has a radio or any other way to communicate while out on his route. Not everybody carries a fully charged cell phone and in some places there is no reception.

How the fire started in the trash in his truck is another question.

#310 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

The news I saw on TV yesterday was attributing the trash truck's dumping of its hot load for the destruction of the mobile homes. But the news always needs to be vetted.

#311 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

What we need is common sense solutions in this country

Your common sense solution is somebody else saying, " WTF is he talking about? Where did this idiot come from? "

#312 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Don't live in the areas where this shit happens.
    Except about 10 years ago a tornado ripped down my street and dropped 4 trees from the parking into the street, mine included.

I live in Tornado country. 20 years ago, there was a small business center that got stuck on the wrong side of the plans when a major thoroughfare was revamped. All the businesses broke their leases and left. The buildings owners were trying to sell but were sort of screwed. Along comes a tornado that magically drops down and scrapes the area down to the concrete slab. I assume the strip's owners cleaned up on insurance

Then the tornado goes back up in the air and travels 2 miles and comes back down on the street across from my backyard and one house away. I was at work. A co-worker who lived a couple of blocks away came in late and said i might want to go home and look around.

I had a bunch of insulation from somewhere else in my backyard is all. But I had a dog in the house--a pit bull. I walked in and called to Queenie and she had gone into hiding in the bathtub. After that she was terrified of all bad weather.

My brother-in-law and his wife (my sis died years ago) was in that monster tornado that leveled Joplin MO in 2011. They shoved their little dog under bed and managed to get their heads under the bed, as well. All that was left was a dresser, the bed, and the 3 of them. Everything else was splinters.

#313 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I live in Tornado country. 20 years ago, there was a small business center that got stuck on the wrong side of the plans when a major thoroughfare was revamped. All the businesses broke their leases and left. The buildings owners were trying to sell but were sort of screwed. Along comes a tornado that magically drops down and scrapes the area down to the concrete slab. I assume the strip's owners cleaned up on insurance
    Then the tornado goes back up in the air and travels 2 miles and comes back down on the street across from my backyard and one house away. I was at work. A co-worker who lived a couple of blocks away came in late and said i might want to go home and look around.
    I had a bunch of insulation from somewhere else in my backyard is all. But I had a dog in the house--a pit bull. I walked in and called to Queenie and she had gone into hiding in the bathtub. After that she was terrified of all bad weather.
    My brother-in-law and his wife (my sis died years ago) was in that monster tornado that leveled Joplin MO in 2011. They shoved their little dog under bed and managed to get their heads under the bed, as well. All that was left was a dresser, the bed, and the 3 of them. Everything else was splinters.

I was in Joplin a few weeks after that tornado. Never saw a portable Home Depot before that day.

#314 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I was in Joplin a few weeks after that tornado. Never saw a portable Home Depot before that day.

Never even heard of one.

I was impressed you remembered you kept the postcard, remembered you had it, were able to find it and posted it. You are either really organized or a lucky hoarder.

#315 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Never even heard of one.
    I was impressed you remembered you kept the postcard, remembered you had it, were able to find it and posted it. You are either really organized or a lucky hoarder.

The Joplin Home Depot was a giant , climate controlled tent. IIRC, it had 8-10 evenly spaced air conditioning units on the ground front & rear connected by flexible ducting.
    I have a decent memory and recalled the picture from the postcard and knew right where to go to find it. Thanks, I think.

#316 4 years ago

So they are saying the Saddle Ridge fire started under an Edison tower that was not powered down.

In the case of the guy that dumped the burning trash that started the other fire, word I got is that is company policy anytime the load is on fire.

#317 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

In the case of the guy that dumped the burning trash that started the other fire, word I got is that is company policy anytime the load is on fire.

Yea, those trucks are expensive!

#318 4 years ago

At least that gets the driver off the hook. Perhaps.

Apparently, trash truck fires are not all that uncommon.

#319 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If he was following company policy then there is little way management can scapegoat him. I wouldn't think.

Quoted from o-din:

Apparently

Quoted from o-din:

I have never heard of such a thing but it sounds plausible. Spontaneous combustion in a package compressed under high pressure and who knows what got tossed; Somebody's grease rags, maybe?

#320 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I have never heard of such a thing but it sounds plausible. Spontaneous combustion in a package compressed under high pressure and who knows what got tossed; Somebody's grease rags, maybe?

It says right on the cans no hot ashes, but maybe a few smoldering ashtrays get dumped anyway. Or even a smoldering butt tossed in a dumpster right before pickup would do the same thing.

Could even be a flying ember from another fire just happened to drop into the truck.

#321 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It says right on the cans no hot ashes, but maybe a few smoldering ashtrays get dumped anyway. Or even a smoldering butt tossed in a dumpster right before pickup would do the same thing.
    Could even be a flying ember from another fire just happened to drop into the truck.

Its plausible that antifa started it!

#322 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It could also be an improperly disposed of Lithium_Ion battery. They have a tendency to explode into flames when damaged.
    It also could have been static electricity. It was hot, windy and humidity was very low.

#323 4 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Its plausible that antifa started it!

#324 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Trash trucks, Trash bins and trash packers and trash cans.

#325 4 years ago

So its not plausible. Can you provide proof, or are you an antifa terrorist?

#326 4 years ago

So its not plausible? Can you provide proof it was not started by an enviro-terrorist?

#327 4 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Trash trucks, Trash bins and trash packers and trash cans.

Sanctuary state trash! Thanks again!!

#328 4 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

So its not plausible? Can you provide proof it was not started by an enviro-terrorist?

Can’t tell if you’re joking or off your meds.

#329 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

This "off your meds" used to be "that person must be on meds".

Either way, it is a lame label that has run its ineffectual course.

#330 4 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

This "off your meds" used to be "that person must be on meds".
    Either way, it is a lame label that has run its ineffectual course.

Huh? You must be on someone else's meds.

#331 4 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

It was started by juggalos. What a bunch of clowns.

#332 4 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

It was started by juggalos. What a bunch of clowns.

Just as plausible as antifa/enviro terrorists starting it!

#333 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

whynotbothgirl (resized).jpgwhynotbothgirl (resized).jpg

#334 4 years ago

Lol, the irony! Could be juggalos or antifa!!

#335 4 years ago

I don't even know what this thread is about anymore. California banning pinball or something like that??

#336 4 years ago

I don't even know what this thread is about anymore. California banning pinball or something like that??

No, they will just tax the shit out of them.

#337 4 years ago

If it's fun, CA wants it banned.

As a former CA resident, I was frustrated that all of my hobbies were being banned. Guns are pretty obvious but I also rode dirt bikes. There's millions of acres of wilderness areas where dirt bikes aren't allowed and yet, they still want to restrict them in mixed use areas because of complaints from hikers. In anticipation of my move to NV, I bought a slot machine which, of course, was illegal in CA (but looks great and is perfectly legal in my NV home!).

I think pinball for home use is safe, even in CA.

Back on topic, our energy provider (NV energy) sent out an email assuring us that they weren't going to be shutting off power!

#338 4 years ago

Wherever the fires are burning today, that sure is some stinky air blowing this way.

This whole week has been miserably dry and hot. We could use some humidity. This kind of heat is like they just stick you in a toaster oven on high.

#339 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Wherever the fires are burning today, that sure is some stinky air blowing this way.
    This whole week has been miserably dry and hot. We could use some humidity. This kind of heat is like they just stick you in a toaster oven on high.

Yeah, I have been reading about more Cali fires and P.G.&E. shutting down power again. Or maybe it should be stated as they are still playing the shutdown game.

#340 4 years ago

Seems like no end in sight. More fires. More PG & E customers enduring planned power outages.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/26/us/california-fires-weather-power-outages-saturday/index.html

#341 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Or maybe it should be stated as they are still playing the shutdown game.

I'm not sure what kind of a game it is, trying to decide which power lines to shut down to prevent huge wildfires that destroy homes and kill people and animals.

#342 4 years ago

#343 4 years ago

I don't understand why anyone living there wouldn't consider having a natural gas powered backup Generac/similar generator as standard. If it's the case natural gas is an issue due to restrictions on pipelines, etc. that would definitely suck. Power in the midwest goes off rarely, but spending what about half of a pinball machine costs for the "just in case" was worth the investment for me and my family. From the outside looking in it seems PGE is in a no win situation - leave the power on and lines goes down and cause more fires they're screwed, turn them off to be preventative and they are blamed as well.
    Bottom line should be individuals having done all they can to mitigate what "can" happen - a backup generator should be considered a normal expense with owning a house.

#344 4 years ago

PGE shutting the power down is new to this area and state. The first shut downs happened approximately two weeks ago and it is also happening this weekend due to the high winds.
    Many people in the area have bought generators for back up and many others still have yet to do so, some won't be able to afford it. If you go to any local hardware store they are completely sold out. Not sure if people have attempted online orders but I can assure you everything local has been bought up.

PGE is in a no win situation at this point and there are other power companies lower in the state that are about to do the same as PGE.

I am one of the fortunate that has a 5500W Onan that I can grab power from to keep the food and beer nice and chilled and of course to play a pin if needed.

#345 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Years ago many people in Cali didn't have AC in the house. Is this still the case?

#346 4 years ago

Years ago many people in Cali didn't have AC in the house. Is this still the case?

I grew up in the Long Beach area in the 70s and we didn’t have central air growing up. Just a couple of window units.

#347 4 years ago

Electricity is a luxury not a right and that’s why we pay for it. It is not guaranteed. People bitch about doing maintenance when you shut their power off for 6 hours and bitch when you don’t do maintenance. Federal Government does not look at wild fires as a national disaster and fund accordingly. Even though the winds and natural stuff usually leads to this. People don’t want you to cut trees then the wind blows a tree branch breaks goes across a power line it goes phase to phase and a fire is started. Underground systems are expensive need space to dig up streets and are hard to fix in a timely matter. People need to stop suing stopping right of ways and tree and brush clearing or deal with it. I have a job that has a power pole in really bad shape due to woodpeckers. Definitely a hazard but I can not change it out because it has a woodpecker. Imagine that. You can’t clear trees and brush with out an environmental clearance. Because a kangaroo rat or mouse lives there. It is a tuff spot when everything has more importance than your power and safety. The law suits don’t help either and power companies can’t just go out of business and shut the doors they are federal regulated. Electricity is dangerous just look at its beginnings when towns didn’t want it in their communities. There is no easy solution. I feel bad for all those who’ve lost everything and even family members due to fires of any cause. It is not a good sight to see people rummaging through ashes to collect what is left. I have had to rebuild power lines in communities that this has happened and work in the still burning embers.

#348 4 years ago
    Quoted from salbol1:

I don't understand why anyone living there wouldn't consider having a natural gas powered backup Generac/similar generator as standard. If it's the case natural gas is an issue due to restrictions on pipelines, etc. that would definitely suck. Power in the midwest goes off rarely, but spending what about half of a pinball machine costs for the "just in case" was worth the investment for me and my family. From the outside looking in it seems PGE is in a no win situation - leave the power on and lines goes down and cause more fires they're screwed, turn them off to be preventative and they are blamed as well.
    Bottom line should be individuals having done all they can to mitigate what "can" happen - a backup generator should be considered a normal expense with owning a house.

Not a lot of gas lines in the hills, and usually useless in an earthquake disaster due to ruptures. We here in KS get spoiled with cheap and stable utilies. Even when I lived in the country, the outages were rare.

#349 4 years ago

The electrical grid is very vulnerable. Go spend $40 on some Mylar balloons tie them together to make one big balloon and release under your local power line. Worst and loudest 4th of July experience you’ll ever see and hear. Water and sewer lines are all very old, but nobody wants the inconvenience to fix those either. We will be like a 3rd world country when it all goes bad. Because of inconvenience and legislation.

#350 4 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

The electrical grid is very vulnerable. Go spend $40 on some Mylar balloons tie them together to make one big balloon and release under your local power line. Worst and loudest 4th of July experience you’ll ever see and hear. Water and sewer lines are all very old, but nobody wants the inconvenience to fix those either. We will be like a 3rd world country when it all goes bad. Because of inconvenience and legislation.

Our water and sewer lines are 100 years old. DWP has not set aside the money to replace them. That would mean smaller bonuses for their executives. Over the last few years the water mains are starting to rust through and rupture under the pressure. You will be seeing a lot more of these in the next 10 years. DWP current replacement schedule is 300 years. Not kidding. That is what their spokesperson said.

There are 489 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/california-power-companies-shut-off-power-for-thousands/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.