(Topic ID: 253208)

California power companies shut off power for thousands.

By cottonm4

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 489 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.10 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.49 PM (resized).png
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    sadhansenmiddle (resized).jpg
    nf00b9-b88257666z.120141113140914000g9u69fh7.10 (resized).jpg
    EC4EC243-CAB5-4DD8-A35D-5579D7DE14A6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20191109-072345_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20191108_205715 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1573154512120 (resized).jpg
    salton-sea-1950s (resized).jpg
    0BFD8780-B959-4D0D-B758-C6F536B1E0FD (resized).jpeg
    santamonica03 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9483 (resized).PNG
    Standing ovation.gif
    IMG_2998 (resized).jpg
    whynotbothgirl (resized).jpg
    There are 489 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.
    #451 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

"Off Topic Alert".
    Saw something interesting yesterday. That forest fire that took out that whole town, the Camp Fire in 2018. There was a Sasquatch that needed medial aid, some firemen found it unconscious, with singed legs and arms, they got it on a stretcher (?), and were giving it some oxygen. While moving it to a safe place closer to a command center, the military showed up and took the Big Foot away. Does the government have a Sasquatch or not. There was a smoky photo of 2 fireman crouched over a dark furry something or other...

Found more info, and the date was 1999, during the Battle Mountain Fire. Had the facts wrong and I prefer the corrected the information.
    20191108_205715 (resized).jpg20191108_205715 (resized).jpg

#452 4 years ago

The people in the flood plains get federally subsidized flood insurance dirt cheap whereas the government does no such thing for fire insurance. It’s part of that bs where the poor red states are takers and the blue states like Ca and NY are givers. My taxes go to a bunch of people in Kentucky who hate Californians. How about just saying thank you.

#453 4 years ago

Todays weather forcast...
    Whats the temp where you live?

Screenshot_20191109-072345_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191109-072345_Gallery (resized).jpg
    #454 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Todays weather forcast...
    Whats the temp where you live?[quoted image]

It is a roller coaster. Right now 42 degrees to move up to 70 this afternoon an down to 40s tonight. Next week will be in the 30s a lot.

I like where I live. But I loathe winter.

#455 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

It is a roller coaster. Right now 42 degrees to move up to 70 this afternoon an down to 40s tonight. Next week will be in the 30s a lot.
    I like where I live. But I loathe winter.

Indiana: Shovel the driveway in the morning, mow the yard in the afternoon.

#456 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Whats the temp where you live?

Shorts, sandals, and no sleeves on into the evening as I crack my first ice cold Pacifico of the day is all I can say.

#457 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Indiana: Shovel the driveway in the morning, mow the yard in the afternoon.

Also Indiana: insulated hooded Carhart coat in the morning, T-shirt by the evening.

Annnnd likely snow/ice on Monday.

#458 4 years ago

Unfortunately big fires aren’t a Cali exclusive ...

This is the situation in Australia at the moment ...

rd

EC4EC243-CAB5-4DD8-A35D-5579D7DE14A6 (resized).jpegEC4EC243-CAB5-4DD8-A35D-5579D7DE14A6 (resized).jpeg
    #459 4 years ago

Alright all you Cali haters. Start piling on Australia for not raking their forests.

#460 4 years ago

Great photo Dave. Looks like a vison of hell. Luckily it's not that bad over here in the West but it was 105f yesterday, so we gotta watch out for fires.
    ~ Mal ~

#461 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hyperball91:

Great photo Dave. Looks like a vison of hell

It sure does!

Edy posted it on Facebook.

Crazy times ....

I’m happy to live in a place with an average 16 degree Celsius temp per annum.

rd

#462 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Alright all you Cali haters. Start piling on Australia for not raking their forests.

Why would we do that, we love Australia.

#465 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

But you're allowed to pitch a tent on the sidewalk and take a dump...

From what I saw on Youtube, L.A. allows tents to be set up. Culver City does not. So, not all of California has derailed.

#466 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

From what I saw on Youtube, L.A. allows tents to be set up. Culver City does not. So, not all of California has derailed.

I can set up a tent or even put a Dukes of Hazard car on my front lawn, or paint my house pink and purple, and unlike a snotty town 20 miles away like Irvine where you have to paint your house a certain color and can't leave your garage door open or even park in the driveway, nobody in my neighborhood can say or do anything about it.

So it basically comes down to which community and who's running it. Ironically, Irvine was suggested as a place to move the homeless encampments on the Santa Ana river near Anaheim stadium. Not sure how that worked out for them.

#467 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I can set up a tent or even put a Dukes of Hazard car on my front lawn, or paint my house pink and purple, and unlike a snotty town 20 miles away like Irvine where you have to paint your house a certain color and can't leave your garage door open or even park in the driveway, nobody in my neighborhood can say or do anything about it.
    So it basically comes down to which community and who's running it. Ironically, Irvine was suggested as a place to move the homeless encampments on the Santa Ana river near Anaheim stadium. Not sure how that worked out for them.

They had it on the news, those Irvine people came out in force and went berserk and flooded the city council meetings screaming and yelling. I think they got it all shut down.

I lived in Irvine for a while. Pretty nice place. However one blade of grass on my lawn went askew and they kicked me out.

#468 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I lived in Irvine for a while. Pretty nice place. However one blade of grass on my lawn went askew and they kicked me out.

When ever I drive thru Irvine, I pass as much gas as I can as a solute to their way of doing things.

#469 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Irvine was much cooler when Lion Country Safari was there. More lions, less people.

#470 4 years ago

So concerned with the incoming rains, I put a coat of Zinsser 123 primer/sealer around door of my shed this morning before work.

#471 4 years ago

Today in Port lincoln (west coast of South Australia) power was cut to the town due to catastophic fire risk as their was a bushfire a week ago in the outskirts of the town - temp today there when the power was cut was 44.9 degrees C (112.8F) a couple of degrees less where I live a few hours away. 3 years ago they lost power for 3 full days at a time the whole state lost power for several hours.

Just two days ago in Port Lincoln (known for having great white sharks there) their was a pretty bazaar gig occurring with KISS (minus Paul Stanley) playing off the back of a boat for the first time ever creating sound waves to attract great white sharks in the area & an audience of about 50 people!

https://7news.com.au/entertainment/music/inside-kiss-only-australian-show-played-on-a-boat-off-the-coast-of-port-lincoln-c-563998

#472 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So concerned with the incoming rains, I put a coat of Zinsser 123 primer/sealer around door of my shed this morning before work.

Huh? It never rains in California. You are polluting the atmosphere with your primer

#473 4 years ago

I love the weather in Cali but I live 133ft above sea level next to one of the deepest and largest fresh water lakes in the world on top of a miles-thick sheet of granite.

Global climate change making the winters a bit harsher is about the worst thing I need to worry about.

#474 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

Irvine was much cooler when Lion Country Safari was there. More lions, less people.

Then there was a pretty good water park and a nice amphitheater for concerts, now those are gone as well.

Now we have...... can you guess??

More houses.

#475 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Then there was a pretty good water park and a nice amphitheater for concerts, now those are gone as well

And kind of a cool racetrack and motocross park in the same area that are history now too.

nf00b9-b88257666z.120141113140914000g9u69fh7.10 (resized).jpgnf00b9-b88257666z.120141113140914000g9u69fh7.10 (resized).jpgsadhansenmiddle (resized).jpgsadhansenmiddle (resized).jpg
    #476 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Then there was a pretty good water park and a nice amphitheater for concerts, now those are gone as well.
    More houses.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

More houses.

So, everybody moves to Cali because all the things to do. But more people means more housing and the entertainment gets bulldozed for a subdivision. People move in....and there is nothing to do? Except watch things burn?

You gotta love it

#477 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

People move in....and there is nothing to do? Except watch things burn?

We still have our lovely beaches for when people need an escape from the daily rat race.

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg
    #478 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

We still have our lovely beaches for when people need an escape from the daily rat race.[quoted image]

That looks like Woodstock 1969. But I don't see any Johnny-on-Spots planted anywhere.

Beach gear.

Come prepared.

Don't leave home without them.

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.49 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.49 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-11-20 at 2.32.10 PM (resized).png

#479 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And kind of a cool racetrack and motocross park in the same area that are history now too.[quoted image][quoted image]

Is the moto track Carlsbad?

#480 4 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Escape Country, Trabuco Canyon.

#481 4 years ago

Hey buddy, in case you didn't know, this is called "progress". I guess progress means wanting to keep things the same. Orwellian times my friend....Orwellian times.

#482 4 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Carlsbad drag strip and moto track are also gone now.

#483 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Escape Country, Trabuco Canyon.

So much has changed. Escape country was great.

1 week later
    #484 4 years ago

Here come the mudslides!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

#485 4 years ago
    #486 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Here come the mudslides!
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Not something I have to worry about. My neighborhood was incredibly well designed right after the war. There is infrastructure overload. The only problem is the wild animals take advantage of that infrastructure. It’s raining like a mofo right now.

#487 4 years ago

Yeah, I've got a concreted creek behind my house that is about 1/3 full. I've seen it get 3/4 full in less than half hour once though.

#488 4 years ago

Those concrete drainways are everywhere in my neighborhood. They all empty into the LA river. When they’re dry the coyotes use them to come down from the foothills to look for food. Got my cat last year.

1 month later
    #489 4 years ago

Wonder if their are any updates from down under about the fires and any threats to pin collections.
    Wayner?

There are 489 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/california-power-companies-shut-off-power-for-thousands/page/10?hl=niterider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.