Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by drbond
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ultrapin.JPG
    modded_WW.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 13 years ago

ha ha that whirlwind was at Maker Faire. It's quite an... experience.

#36 13 years ago

On a sidenote, got to play Big Bang Bar and Kingpin for the first time. A guy I know in league has one of the remakes but it was out the last time I was at his house. From what I heard the BBB at the show is an original.

I was there till 2am setting up the camera/projector thing in the tourney area and I knew I was so wired I wasn't going to sleep any time soon so I went into the main hall and played a few.

Really, if you want to get the best games in with no lines, the thing to do is volunteer to setup friday (or bring games) and you get your pick.

Other than that, I saw very little of the show proper as I was too busy in the tournament area or helping out at registration. We set up the camera/projector for the "How to play pinball" thing (sunday) and it went well.

Got to meet fellow pinsider Jose. Jose, sorry I know I wasn't totally in social mode but I made the mistake of over-committing myself for the show and was running around non-stop when I wasn't trying to put up scores in the tournement. Only even got a chance to start qualifying when we ran into each other and only got an hour to up my scores this morning. But hey, I took novice, my first tournament win, so I'm pretty happy.

#39 13 years ago

Oh man I saw that cactus canyon friday night and I forgot to go back and play it. I missed it at pin a go go as well. Still have never played it.

Anyway I got a couple games on BBB and KP. Both were pretty fun.

BBB worth the hype? I didn't play it enough to say one way or another. Also, I heard the one at the show was an original, not one of the remakes. It was a little beat up. The ramp with the neon lights sticks out in my mind. I like the "space bar" theme. Reminds me of the Space Quest series of games from the 80s.

Kingpin also had a cool chicago mob sort of theme. It vaguely reminded me of whodunnit but less noir. It's more Dick Tracy or Roger Rabbit.

#40 13 years ago

Oh, biggest show disappointment by far was that ultrapin. I'm glad I got to try it out, but man, what a pile. The graphics were sort of lame but the main problem was the flipper lag. Absolutely terrible. Made aiming nearly impossible. I played funhouse, which I know pretty well and have played many examples of, and it was easier to hit the mirror from the left than the right! wut?!

#43 13 years ago

my thing with a vid pin is they should stop trying to copy real pins exactly. Better and better physics is always nice but they should leverage what video can do and pins can't do. Things like cut scenes for modes, versus play, crazy impossible ramps, special effects, etc. There have been a few games that have moved into that direction but none that have done it very well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/california-extreme-registration?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.