Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by drbond
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ultrapin.JPG
    modded_WW.jpg
    #1 13 years ago

Just got the pre-registration packet in the mail a few days ago. You should be able to register on their website as well. You can register the day of the show too, but I think you get the t-shirts at half price for pre-registering (I could be wrong).

http://www.caextreme.org/

I will be there the weekend (July 17th and 18th), if pinsiders' decide on going. I'm still trying to figure out what time slot I will be working the load-in dock on Friday. I'll have to get one of those "Hi My Name Is..." for pinsiders to find me. I'll be the pinhead getting a chain of free games off of Monster Bash.

Overall, its a great yearly show (pinball & classic-arcade video games on free play). Lots of very tough to find machines ("Medeival Madness", "Cirqus Voltaire", Capcom's "Kingpin" & "Big Bang Bar"). Fun-loving pinheads from all over the west coast to boot. You can't go wrong for the price.

#2 13 years ago

That's pretty sly. I start my vacation July 18th, so I'll see if I can talk the lady into going. I'm easy to recognize, I'm a giant cartoon "K".

#3 13 years ago

Yea, I can't wait for this, it's a great event! Awwwe a weekend of debauchery and pinball with the boys... What more can you ask for??

#4 13 years ago

One of these days I'll make it to a show I'll be the guy with a drink in my hand and a questionable looking lady on each arm. I'll probably be saying something like "Whereshh the pinballz machinies" .. hehe

#5 13 years ago

We'll have to fly you out BD. Plenty of women of questionable moral character in California. A few Franklins and they're none too picky either...

#6 13 years ago

CAX is taking place inside the Hyatt again. It's important to note that just outside the show doors is the hotel lobby, which has a fully working bar. Get tipsy and then hobble back to the showroom to play some pinball. Fun times. It's like playing at my house.

#7 13 years ago

This sounds like the best time of my life. I'm getting excited! I just hope my luck is better than the time I went to the Pinball HoF...

#8 13 years ago

Your going to have a blast Letter_K.

The highlights last year was the double/triple Star Trek TNG, Black Knight, Shadow, and Medieval Madness machines that were fully working.

A local pinhead also is a hardcore collector and is known to bring a Big Bang Bar & Kingpin yearly. I'm dying to try Kingpin again, IF the machine is available for play (gets lots of play by show pinheads).

#9 13 years ago

I grew up in an arcade (several, actually) and this seems like a trip to the promise land. I'm so giddy that even the wife isn't shaking her head and rolling her eyes, 'cause she can see how happy the thought makes me. And the bar proximity is a good tip. This will be like if I was BD's age in the 80s! I can't wait!

#10 13 years ago

Yea, you also get a 25% discount on food at the lobby lounge and restaurant if you had tickets for CAX. As for drinks, I highly suggest a cooler full of beers for each room you and friends have. It makes for a very fun and cheaper experience than having to buy all your drinks at the bar.

#11 13 years ago

Cooler of Captain and Coke, maybe...

1 week later
    #12 13 years ago

Ungh! Did my registration, booked my hotel stay, and I'll be there Sunday. They better get extra security to protect the copper in that place, that's all I'm saying...

#13 13 years ago

lol. Well, maybe that isn't funny.

#14 13 years ago

There is a super market about a freeway exit away if memory serves correct. Stock up on beers there. Parking for the event is free...or at least, it was last year.

If I were you guys, I would order a T-shirt before the event (they can be ordered during the pre-registration process). Last year they were sold out right off the bat, and I really wanted one (Rudy was on the front).

#15 13 years ago

I pre-ordered a T-shirt. I plan on having a bottle of Sailor Jerry and some Coke on hand in my room. Don't wanna get bogged down by all those beer calories. We'll have to get the pinsiders together for a drink drbond.

#16 13 years ago

When I find out when I'm available to assist the showroom floor setup machines on that Friday (before the show weekend), I'll let pinsiders know. They are opening up the loading dock in the morning, and are allowing owners to bring in their games all day till about 1130PM or so.

I'll see where I can find a nametag so people can find me at the show.

Hoping to God the blessed individual from 2 years ago, brings in their Monster Bash machine (it wasn't there last year). I have an itch to fire up the Monsters of Rock again. Hoping to also find a Johnny Mnemonic. Currently on my wish list, to be my last addition to my pinball collection.

#17 13 years ago

So, are you working the event drbond, and what are your hours? I hope you'll find time to get a little liquored up

#18 13 years ago

I will be loading games on Friday. Doing so should get me free admission to the weekend show. I'll be boozing it up during the weekend.

Forgot to mention. Spent last afternoon at a friend's place, updating his Stern "Batman Dark Knight" to the latest 2.94 software revision. Good God, it rocks!!!

Hoping people at CAX bring their BDK machines with the latest revision.

#20 13 years ago

I will be bringing my Letter K v2.6 cocktail enhanced mod. It works almost all day, as long as it gets at least one Red Bull around 4pm.

3 weeks later
    #21 13 years ago

I'm bringing this back because it is all I can think about. Work has become secondary, meals all taste the same, people's faces blur together. I had to stop drinking for three days to make sure that wasn't the issue.

I'm so excited...

#22 13 years ago

Sounds like a great event
    anyone going to post some pics???

#24 13 years ago

I'll try to get some pics during setup on Friday (possibly tomorrow), autumnfade. I'll try to post what games I see during the load-in tomorrow night, and toward the end of the evening on Friday.

Hoping to Gorgar (pinball god), that we see a Monster Bash this weekend. MB was sorely missed last year.

If Letter K and Jonnyo are out there I am desperately hoping someone brings Batman Forever, so we can do some doubles! Player 1/3 & Player 2/4 have their scores totalled together. I suppose Players 1/2 play as Batman, and Players 3/4 play as Robin.

I'm actually more curious to find out which pins will be for sale at the show. Currently, from people posting on RGP, it looks like:

Jurassic Park [HUO]
    South Park [Really nice]
    High Speed [Really nice]
    Firepower [Just shopped]
    Orbit (Gottlieb)
    Black Rose

Also of interest is classic coin-op video games. Currently being tracked for sale at CAX:

Discs of Tron (x2)
    Tron
    Mappy

#25 13 years ago

I'll be there Sunday. I'd love to own a Discs of Tron. I haven't seen it since they took it out of the Boardwalk arcade. I've got two more working days until my vacation. I'm having trouble remembering where the timeclock is...

#26 13 years ago

I'll let you know what they got Letter K. Sounds like its going to be a long night.

#27 13 years ago

Have fun guys! I plan on waiting until the October pinball expo. Take lots of goofy pictures, eh!

#28 13 years ago

Perhaps Stern will show their next game at this event ?

#29 13 years ago

Looooong day. Sigh.
    Really tired, but I wanted to post this for my local pinhead buds.
    I'll try to collect photos tomorrow night. Too tired right now.

Steve Ritchie is going to be at the show. Was a last minute addition to the speakers. Hes doing a speal about his adventures in the pinball industry. Its probably the same one he gave at Pacific Pinball Expo last year. Some extremely funny stories. Steve is a very friendly and funny guy. Don't miss your chance to meet a legend.

Only had one machine DOA so far, which was Lethal Weapon 3.

Tourney machines:
    TSPP, FGY, & Taxi.

On the floor (not all of them, just for Thursday's load):
    MM, TOTAN, Scared Stiff, TSPP, Monopoly, LOTR, IJ-93(Williams), Centaur, Firepower, AFM, WCS, CC, Hook, AP, TZ, CP, Space Shuttle, Diner, BK, BK2K, BOP, HSII, WW, WH2O, Surf N Safari, RG, Spectrum, Spy Hunter, KISS, Future Spa, Fathom, EBD, Taxi, Vector, Galaxy, Silverball Mania, Black Hole, Dr Dude, Mata Hari, Time Machine, F14. Tons of EM's.

Haven't seen Hyperball yet, but they did have Rapid Fire & an Ultrapin

There was a Roadshow, but I think its a raffle prize.

I'll be updating tomorrow after another night of helping setup. I'll probably need a beer too. Sigh.

#30 13 years ago

Here is a pic of one of the Whirlwind pins, where its fan topper has been modded via leafblower. Yes, you heard right. This pin makes its glorious return. I did not see the TAF machine hooked up to a bicycle (from the Prop Cycle video game) for power source yet.

modded_WW.jpgmodded_WW.jpg

#31 13 years ago

Man oh man oh man... I'm getting that tingly feeling in my stomach, like the first time a girl said she likes you...

#32 13 years ago

Hoping to collect pics tomorrow from the event. Was busy running around today playing pinball.

Especially want pics of the Funhouse someone wanted to sell for $1450. I haven't had a good laugh all week, working my butt off setting up the vent, and I got one after playing that particular Funhouse.

The FH machine was simply in awful shape. Its a project pin in its most extreme state. Poor Rudy's face is falling off the animatronic skull. Looks scary as hell. He looks kinda like Uncle Frank from the Hellraiser movie, with his face not on straight (his skin hanging off). He always glances to the left and to the right, with no feed from the sensors, to track the ball. Looks like hes being a sneaky guy, making sure no one sees him doing something naughty. Hitting his mouth (open or closed) does nothing usually. The playfield is down to the bare wood. The ball sometimes gets caught up on the grooves where the paint and wood meet. The scoop fails to fire. The trough likes to keep balls in there and not launch the next ball. The funniest thing......the seller only lists the broken alphanumeric display as the problem. Good stuff.

#33 13 years ago

That's too bad. I'm leaving for the event in about an hour and I was looking forward to Funhouse. I haven't played it in years, and the last time I saw it (at the Boardwalk) it was straight up broken.

#34 13 years ago

There was a decent Funhouse at the show Letter_K. It was over near the back by IJ, CP, SS, and AP (aka Iron Man 1.0). Rudy's eyes weren't closing on it. Solenoids went bad and weren't changed before the show. The game played well though compared to the other failsauce Funhouse for sale.

#35 13 years ago

ha ha that whirlwind was at Maker Faire. It's quite an... experience.

#36 13 years ago

On a sidenote, got to play Big Bang Bar and Kingpin for the first time. A guy I know in league has one of the remakes but it was out the last time I was at his house. From what I heard the BBB at the show is an original.

I was there till 2am setting up the camera/projector thing in the tourney area and I knew I was so wired I wasn't going to sleep any time soon so I went into the main hall and played a few.

Really, if you want to get the best games in with no lines, the thing to do is volunteer to setup friday (or bring games) and you get your pick.

Other than that, I saw very little of the show proper as I was too busy in the tournament area or helping out at registration. We set up the camera/projector for the "How to play pinball" thing (sunday) and it went well.

Got to meet fellow pinsider Jose. Jose, sorry I know I wasn't totally in social mode but I made the mistake of over-committing myself for the show and was running around non-stop when I wasn't trying to put up scores in the tournement. Only even got a chance to start qualifying when we ran into each other and only got an hour to up my scores this morning. But hey, I took novice, my first tournament win, so I'm pretty happy.

#37 13 years ago

Originally posted by jonnyo:

"On a sidenote, got to play Big Bang Bar and Kingpin for the first time ..."

So what's your take? Is BBB worth all the hype? What did you think of Kingpin?

#38 13 years ago

I was telling jon [jonnyo], that Kingpin (designed by Mark Ritchie) sort of reminds me of Mark Ritchie's other game, Fish Tales. Probably more like the bastard child of Fish Tales & Diner (Mark designed both games).

Its got like a figure 8 ramp shot pattern, like the boat shot from Fish Tales. Main difference is the mouth of the ramp sometimes comes up and reveals a trap door ala Mark Ritchies' other game, Diner.

It was actually pretty fun. Jon was saying he liked it better than BBB. I would probably agree. Shame that they never got to do repro runs of Kingpin. The DMD animations of the gangsters are pretty funny. Reminds me of Dick Tracy with the goofball characters.

My fav game of the show by far was Cactus Canyon. The game is incredibly fun! The gun showdown sequence is really cool! I have never played it until at the show. Amazing game overall. Very similar to my all time fav Monster Bash, but with more ramps. The stereotypical drunk mexican bandito stuff is hilarious. Probably a funnier game than its WPC-95 brothers MM or AFM.

#39 13 years ago

Oh man I saw that cactus canyon friday night and I forgot to go back and play it. I missed it at pin a go go as well. Still have never played it.

Anyway I got a couple games on BBB and KP. Both were pretty fun.

BBB worth the hype? I didn't play it enough to say one way or another. Also, I heard the one at the show was an original, not one of the remakes. It was a little beat up. The ramp with the neon lights sticks out in my mind. I like the "space bar" theme. Reminds me of the Space Quest series of games from the 80s.

Kingpin also had a cool chicago mob sort of theme. It vaguely reminded me of whodunnit but less noir. It's more Dick Tracy or Roger Rabbit.

#40 13 years ago

Oh, biggest show disappointment by far was that ultrapin. I'm glad I got to try it out, but man, what a pile. The graphics were sort of lame but the main problem was the flipper lag. Absolutely terrible. Made aiming nearly impossible. I played funhouse, which I know pretty well and have played many examples of, and it was easier to hit the mirror from the left than the right! wut?!

#42 13 years ago

Ultrapin seemed to work better last year. Either way, to me...pinball and virtual pinball....its not the same thing either way (maybe one day with virtual reality and precise tactile force feedback).

The reason for making Ultrapin...I "get it", but I won't play it. Pinball is meant to be a physical game. Your supposed to be bumping, shaking, and nudging the machine. Ultrapin detects nudging, but it doesn't calculate angled bumps or degree of force. Flipping is only part of the experience, and thats what I think video game designers don't get about trying to emulate pinball. I talked to Steve Ritchie and he might be doing virtual pinball projects. Maybe he knows how to pull off the concept.

Ultrapin.JPGUltrapin.JPG

#43 13 years ago

my thing with a vid pin is they should stop trying to copy real pins exactly. Better and better physics is always nice but they should leverage what video can do and pins can't do. Things like cut scenes for modes, versus play, crazy impossible ramps, special effects, etc. There have been a few games that have moved into that direction but none that have done it very well.

#44 13 years ago

There was an incredible video version of pinball done years ago in 1990, on the 8-bit Nintendo called "Pinball Quest". In it's "RPG Mode", they were telling a video game narrative, but the character was the pinball. You were manuevering your character around (the pinball) with traditional flippers, and interacting with NPC's. There was a story being told, and almost traditional video game progression; completing goals, purchasing upgrades (for your flippers), and fighting bosses. Video pinball should be going in this direction, as opposed to Ultrapin, mainly because pinball players will always make comparisons and thats the crowd you want to draw in. No one has tried it since then.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/california-extreme-registration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.