IMG_8834.jpg
IMG_8847.jpg
IMG_8840.jpg
20150718_134344.jpg
image.jpg
image_3.jpg
11755259_739615526149824_2593826542378222809_n.jpg
11754303_739615492816494_5221208928866652325_n.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marcos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Looks like the Speaker's list is finally getting some attention. Below is directly from the CAX website:
Details are as always still shifting around, but here is the current lineup of speakers for the show. These speaking sessions will mostly be held on Saturday, but exact times are not set yet.

A couple more updates not yet on the website.

In addition to the Gottlieb Video Arcade Alumni seminar, David Thiel will also be joining us for two more seminars:
Collaborating with Butch Peel in the JJP seminar (this will be a different presentation than the one in Tacoma last month)
Presenting on his own history and involvement doing coin-op audio work, from the earliest days at Gottlieb, through modern Stern and now JJP

The final speaker schedule (with times) should be posted in the next few days.

-Mark
CAX Crew
Midwest Gaming Classic - VIP/Seminar Coordinator
Pinball Operator - Champaign
Pinball Arcade Owner - Joliet
(perhaps too much pinball?)

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Anyone ever go to The Great America across the street from CAX? According to the website they do not have any new rides. They all look Generic and bland. When I was a kid I remember rides like Bat Man, Super Man, Star Wars etc. Is this one worth it, any good?
https://www.cagreatamerica.com/things-to-do/thrill-rides

Here's the long answer.

It'll never be the grand theme park it once, as Marriott's Great America. The corporations that have run it since then, especially in the last 15 years or so, have hacked up the once great themeing and sort of run the park into the ground.

Of the two former Marriott's Great Americas, the much better one is in Gurnee, IL, near Chicago, which has been a Six Flags park for the last 30 years, and is arguably one of the best SF parks. This is mainly due to the personnel that have been there since the Marriott days, and the fact a lot of the original themeing of the park still exists, even if watered down to Six Flags standards.

The Gurnee park has expanded several times over the years, whereas Santa Clara did not. Two parks that started out as near clones of each other, today look much different.

Marriott intended to build and open three Great Americas in 1976 on both coasts and the Midwest. They were never able to build a Great America in suburban Washington, DC, after local opposition blocked construction of parks in Virginia and Maryland. As it was, they went forward and opened their parks in Santa Clara and Gurnee as planned, in May of 1976, for the Bicentennial. The parks were heavily themed to different parts of the US, with elaborately themed areas, costuming, and live entertainment. Really, they were trying to be a regional version of Disney parks, even going as far as hiring former Disney designers and architects.

Marriott lost interest in the project after never drawing the large crowds from the Bay Area it anticipated. That left Gurnee as the only park that was highly profitable, and Marriott sold their two Great America parks to separate corporations in 1984-1985.

That all being said, for a park that seemed doomed to close five years ago, it has survived. No one wanted to buy the park, and the current owner, Cedar Fair, kept removing rides and replacing them with nothing. Even with all the 49'ers talk about building a new stadium in the overflow parking lot, it has survived. They finally added a new roller coaster in 2013, Gold Striker, which had been put on hold for years. (Awesome wooden coaster, BTW!)

It, like Gurnee, still has its trademark charming double decker Columbia Carousel, the tallest in the world. There are also several good flat rides remaining from the Marriott days, better than modern rides. Both parks also share the Demon coaster, while tame by modern standards, is still a fun corkscrew coaster. The layout is unique to the two Great Americas. Unfortunately, much of its themeing has been removed over the years.

Since I have been going to Santa Clara the past five years, the park has improved a lot. Attendance is also up. The one issue they have is, there is no room to expand. Marriott sold off most of the surrounding land years ago. When the park opened, there was no Silicon Valley, only orchards. Marriott still owns a business park in back of the park, as well as the Marriott hotel.

Flight Deck (was Top Gun...they opted to not renew the license) is still an awesome coaster if you are familiar with the Batman rides at Six Flags parks, which originated in Gurnee in 1992, and was cloned several times later in the decade. Its layout is refreshingly different from the Batman clones.

So, go to Great America...you're right there, so it's worth it.

Also, there are fireworks shows on Fridays and Saturdays, which can be easily seen from outside the convention center.

CAX and the hotel used to have a great discount ticket for Great America...not sure if they still do. But make sure to at least buy your tickets online, and not pay full price at the gate.

-Mark

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Now if it just wasn't so close to San Diego Comic Con, I'd go, but having the time available to go to both events so close together, not going to happen.

Almost 600 physical works of art you can play for a couple days, plus seminars...

vs. artsy paper?

Perhaps that's a gross generalization/exaggeration, but...in any event, pinball nerds are way cooler to be around and socialize/imbibe with.

-Mark

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

SDCC - girls in cosplay with no BO
CAX - guys in PJs with lots of BO

If you're talking about the ones paid to be there, sure. I'll get my thrills elsewhere. And cosplay is just...strange. Probably more creepy when you see the dudes that are really into it. Source: Gen Con. Plenty of both sexes dressed up that don't exactly look flattering with their figures.

Not that I totally disagree with your statement on the arcade/pinball show crowd...but most I've met do not fall into that category.

Oh, CAX is unique in that it has a theme park across the street. (And a football stadium, although there's not much to do there now.)

I take it you're not making the trip north, eh?

-Mark

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Thanks for the great feedback! I grew up in Wisconsin and the Great America I went to as a kid was the Gurnee, IL location. As a kid in the early 90's when Bat Man opened I was blow away. I hit that ride over and over.

You'll be disappointed in this Great America by comparison, then...

But you'll love Flight Deck if Batman was your thing. And Gold Striker is a blast.

Remember Iron Wolf from 1990? It was finally removed after the 2011 season in Gurnee, but this park has Vortex, which debuted in 1991, and actually used footage from Iron Wolf for its commercial, since both parks used almost the same classic GA logo at the time. It's a rough ride these days...bang your ears!

There are enough places in both parks that are still nearly identical, so you'll probably have flashbacks to Gurnee.

You can ride the same Demon...

But they ripped out the train and the hill the train station was on...although the tunnel for the train still exists next to Demon's tunnel! You can see it from the queue.

However, you can ride Eagle's Flight/Delta Flyer skyrides, which have been gone in Gurnee since ~1983.

Overall, the Gurnee park is much more original...

but there are lots of other intricacies...it's neat to ride things there that have been gone for years in Gurnee.

Just don't expect to find Whizzer or American Eagle there. Whizzer has been gone since the late 80's, and Marriott stopped investing in major thrill rides at Santa Clara in 1981, so only Gurnee ever had American Eagle.

-Mark

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Wow, more than just a "Gross Exaggeration".
Do you know how many people go to SDCC? How much international coverage there is? Who was there (including some Pinsiders!)?
Do you thin Ben Aflek will be roaming around at CAX? That Stern, Microsoft, Namco, Nintendo, Warner Bros. Disney, Fox ABC, NBC,
Paramount DC Comics, Dark Horse Etc, Etc, Etc will be at CAX? And for 4 1/2 days?
... oh, and there were these too:
Stern.jpg
Yeah, I'd give up going to that for CAX ... NOT!
If I can I can always go to the Banning Expo in October or January and see more machines, or make a four hour drive to Vegas to the PHOF.

Wow, three whole pinball machines! Awesome.

Hollywood and the media hype does not impress me...although I do like San Diego.

Attendance numbers don't impress me either, but since we're playing...do you know how many people go to Gen Con?

Come support a long running show run by hobbyists, that we pour a ton of time into. I mean, if you're on Pinside, you're probably a hobbyist, right?

PHOF is a mixed bag.

Banning has a long way to go to be a great show...but they'll get there.

-Mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
1,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 20.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marcos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/california-extreme-july-18-19-santa-clara?tu=marcos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.