7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Miguel351
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

stinkyunicorn2.jpg
    varkon2.jpg
    varkon!!.jpg

#1 7 years ago

Hey all,

So I've never been to a video game or pinball show before. Today we made the split-second decision to drive up to Santa Clara for California Extreme, even though we can't leave until Saturday morning and we have to drive back Sunday morning. If all works out, I hope to have 12 hours of show access. I've already booked our room at Avatar Hotel.

My first/main question for the group: What rare games or pins do I NEED to check out?

I know about: Marble Madness 2, Big Bang Bar, Kingpin, and Jolly Park. Anything else that I simply have to see? I've really only played the pins on location near me, and I have a lot of blind spots (e.g. I've never played Medieval Madness), but I figure at a show like this I need to make a special effort to check out the weird, rare stuff that I'm not going to see otherwise.

Also, is it hard to get game time on those? I'm imagining a super long line in front of Big Bang Bar eating up all my precious show time. Plus, I'm really not a great pinball player, and would probably want to play more than once on most pins to get the hang of them (can easily imagine/fear my first game on BBB after a long wait being over in 90 seconds, then right to the back of the line). Possible? Not possible?

Thirdly, apparently Avatar Hotel has a shuttle. Anyone use that? Is it easy/frequent? Does it run until 2 AM Saturday night? Would it be easier/harder to drive back and forth ourselves? I asked the representative when I made my reservation but she wasn't familiar with the CAEX shuttle.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a planner. I'm also REALLY excited!

Thanks in advance!

#2 7 years ago

Get on the Jolly Park early before it goes down then go for the others early before the crowd gets too big.
    Look for the Balls A Poppin', it is a 9 ball multiball woodrail made in '56 fun game and there will be hardly anyone on it when it gets crowded.
    Great game.
    So much stuff there you can't play it all just jump in where you can and hang on.
    Great show, you will have a good time there.

#3 7 years ago

Popular games are gonna be hard to get in on during peak hours. Which is like...what would everyone else say? 11am-6pm?? Some years I am in there until closing and I didn't even know it was late night.

Some games I find it is never really "clear". You're gonna have to wait or deal with someone waiting. What I like to do is, if I notice someone waiting, just ask if they want to play 2 player. It's better than having someone eyeball the back of your head wishing for you to drain, you get to bullshit, it's friendly and best of all: you can sometimes sneak in more games.

#4 7 years ago

Lots of cool video and pins. I stay up until they close, 2 AM on Saturday. Easiest way to get on a machine.

Cool things to look for:

Since you have seen limited pins all the "A" titles that interest you, and rare titles that you will never see in the wild. The lines are not long, especially at odd hours. Most of the long lines are on the newest Stern machines. Last year it was Tron, the year before that Iron Man.

Rare games: Big Bang Bar, Kingpin, Addams Family that has to be pedaled to run, and Whirlwind with an industrial blower really gives you a wedgy.

The cool vids. The Act is a Dragon's Lair type cartoon game, which is fun.

My favorite, that my buddies and I play late at night after having a couple brews, is Warlord cocktail. Ultimate Co-op game.

California Extreme is my favorite show as it has the best of both worlds and is at a hotel. As for your parking/driving problem they have a big garage there and I have never seen it close to filling up all the years I have gone. Once again time of day is important, but I really do not see any problem just parking your car there. (Can't remember if there is a small parking fee-)

#5 7 years ago

Best bet is to play anything and everything that catches your fancy. Like Jim said, staying up late can give you free reign on the A-List games a little bit after midnight! CAX is one of the best shows in CA so the first thing you should do when you get there is to HAVE FUN! (Don't forget to look behind you too, to see if anyone is waiting to play. Especially if they are wearing plaid pants... )

I also like to listen to music when playing at expos to neutralize all the distractions.

That Whirlwind with the industrial blower is absolutely nuts! Too bad the guy playing in front of me had terrible B.O. (It still lingered after he was done playing... )

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Look for the Balls A Poppin', it is a 9 ball multiball woodrail made in '56 fun game and there will be hardly anyone on it when it gets crowded

Sounds great! Thanks for the tip!

Quoted from jimjim66:

Rare games: Big Bang Bar, Kingpin, Addams Family that has to be pedaled to run, and Whirlwind with an industrial blower really gives you a wedgy.
    My favorite, that my buddies and I play late at night after having a couple brews, is Warlord cocktail. Ultimate Co-op game.

Thanks for the tips! Whirlwind is hard enough with those spinning discs to contend with, I can't imagine playing it with an industrial fan blowing on me! I'm a huge Warlords fan from Atari 2600, but have never played the cocktail version. I'll have to look for that one.

And thanks in general for all the responses! We're super excited!

#7 7 years ago

If you really want to have a challenge on the Whirlwind ask for the sombrero, if it blows off you just tilted.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Too bad the guy playing in front of me had terrible B.O. (It still lingered after he was done playing... )

Worse yet, that guy and and his unwashed buddy would be hovering around my Dr Who all weekend. We had to completely hose down the pin with Lysol to remove the funk!

#9 7 years ago

You must find and play Varkon.
    It's a upright cabinet pinball machine.
    Probably the most unique thing I saw last year.

#10 7 years ago

Solar Fox and Willow. Check out the Laser disc set up as well.

2 weeks later
    #11 7 years ago

Last year, I started playing a Star Trek 25th and was really getting into it when I started to smell that odor. I was doing really well, but the smell wouldn't go away. I wanted to hold out because I was having fun with the game, but it just overcame me. I couldn't concentrate on playing. He must've sat down nearby or something. I had to LEAVE on the 2nd ball. I couldn't stand it anymore. It's just THAT bad.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from gibbous:

I had to LEAVE on the 2nd ball. I couldn't stand it anymore. It's just THAT bad.

To make a long story short please shower before and during the separate days of the expo. Us players will greatly appreciate it!

#13 7 years ago

+1 on varkon.... what a cool hybrid pinball arcade game from williams. love it!

if any of you pinsiders are attending, make sure you add your names to the CAX "attending" list....

http://pinside.com/pinball/events/california-extreme-2012-2012

Quoted from n2kenai:

You must find and play Varkon.
    It's a upright cabinet pinball machine.
    Probably the most unique thing I saw last year.

varkon!!.jpg varkon2.jpg

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

If you really want to have a challenge on the Whirlwind ask for the sombrero, if it blows off you just tilted.

That WW is on location in Concord. I wonder if he's going to bring it this year. I'm seeing him in about an hour so I'll ask.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from xray2:

Worse yet, that guy and and his unwashed buddy would be hovering around my Dr Who all weekend. We had to completely hose down the pin with Lysol to remove the funk!

That guy has quite a rep. Search for "stinky unicorn" on KLOV if you dare...

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

That guy has quite a rep. Search for "stinky unicorn" on KLOV if you dare...

How does the Stinky Unicorn stack up against the Expo Ultrapin Sharter?

#17 7 years ago

You guys are making me want to attend less and less with all this stinky unicorn and sharting talk

#18 7 years ago

Stinky Unicorns? Sharters?

What the heck's going on here?!?

Wait, I don't want to know.....

#19 7 years ago

yes, you dont want to know

wonder if the unicorn will return this year?

here's the CAX 2012 flyer....

http://caextreme.org/files/CAX2012FLYER.pdf

Quoted from Miguel351:

Stinky Unicorns? Sharters?
    What the heck's going on here?!?
    Wait, I don't want to know.....

#20 7 years ago

You defiantly want to get some games on the dream titles (Medieval Madness, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Cirqus Voltaire, Big Bang Bar, or Monster Bash [if its brought]) and the new Sterns people bring (Marcos will probably have an AC/DC Pro set to free play at their booth). Play early during the day, else your going to be waiting in long lines as the evening approaches. The lines aren't that bad on Saturday, but its hopeless on Sunday (a lot of people start to haul machines well before closing on Sunday).

#21 7 years ago

here is the man, the myth, the legend....

i give you the STINKY UNICORN!

How does the Stinky Unicorn stack up against the Expo Ultrapin Sharter?

stinkyunicorn2.jpg

#22 7 years ago

Excerpt from one thread.

Farting is nothing, this guy is the undisputed king of stench.
    Snippet of thread from Nov '06.
    The Expo Ultrapin Sharter.

pinballjim wrote:

Speaking of stinkers. Some dude crapped his pants while playing
    UltraPin, trying to get the high score on MM. Accidents happen, but
    don't keep playing! Wow!

If that was Thursday evening then Tommy Shitzendrawers made his way
    over
    to where the Zen Tournanment was being played. No joke, I had to
    walk
    out into the main exhibit area just to get a breath of clean, well...
    "semi-clean", air. I'm telling you, that guy's ass would be a good
    place for a "Stick Up".

Rick Swanson

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

i give you the STINKY UNICORN!

What does the guy have against showers and deodorant? I guess that is one way to ensure you stay single.

#24 7 years ago

I don't understand people like that. It's like they don't own a TV and therefore never see the shampoo and deodorant ads and they never go into ANY DEPARTMENT STORE ANYWHERE and see the ENTIRE QUADRANT of the store dedicated to personal hygiene.

I'm sorry, but you have to know you stink. You have to be able to smell yourself. I smell myself after softball every week and people tell me I don't give off an odor that they can smell, so I know it hits your own nose before it hits other's.

If this guy's there and I smell him, I'm going to say something, to his face and to whomever's running the event. I don't give a damn what he thinks. If he's that offensive smelling, he's leaving. By words or by force. I don't care.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I missed checking out The Act last year, but its now available on the iPad. Great little game.

#26 7 years ago

I'm rolling with the entire family! AND we shower daily!!!
    Hoping to meet up with some of you folks for a meet and greet.

Arn

#27 7 years ago

Definitely need a Pinsider meet up time/place.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 233.10
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    $ 5.00
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 70.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 22.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside