4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Jarvis2_(resized).PNG
    Jarvis1_(resized).JPG
    DSCN0183_(resized).JPG
    IMG_00005261_(resized).jpg
    IMG_00005252_(resized).jpg
    IMG_00005256_(resized).jpg
    IMG_00005254_(resized).jpg
    IMG_00005257_(resized).jpg
    IMG_00005236_(resized).jpg
    IMG_00005228_(resized).jpg
    IMG_00005247_(resized).jpg
    IMG_00005251_(resized).jpg
    Fore.png
    mouth-breather[1].jpg

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

How is this show for strictly pinball?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

For pinball - its good - If I had to guess - about 150-250 pinball machines

If you want a show that is strictly pinball with 300+ machines check out Pin-a-go-go

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

The show has a lot of pinball games, guessing 150. A lot of good titles (both early and late model) and usually an original Big Bang Bar and Kingpin show up. But I would say the show is primarily for coin operated video games. If you're looking for a tournament type show, this isn't it. I think they do have a tournament, but it's not the main feature of the show by any means. They usually have a great and very full speaker's & presentation line up (with a few even about pinball). It's a great show and brings out a lot of collectors and a lot of general public too. I think more people from out of town attend this show than any other. They usually have over 500 games. It's pretty crowded, but I think very well behaved. It's a great atmosphere. I love it. But I also admit I'm way more of a video game guy.

If you google it or go to their web site, you should be able to find a record of what games were there in various years (I know it's out there because I did the list for them for a few years - no easy task by the way).

Even if you are only into pinball, I think you will like the show.

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    joemagiera@ameritech.net

#4 4 years ago

A decent amount of pins to play but not much in the way of games for sale or pinball parts vendors, I think Marco has a presence and may have some silverjet balls or novus packs there but otherwise, slim pickings. I'm not a video game guy at all but the vid selection is impressive.

#5 4 years ago

If you need anything from Marco, CAX is the place to get it. They usually offer free shipping, no tax, and will cut the price a bit to a nice round number(like if it's $28.34, they'll make it $25 even).

At least, that's what they've done for me the past few years....

#6 4 years ago

I think it's great for pinball, and I plan on going back this year. There are some rare games, and the people are pretty friendly. The huge number of video games also is pretty neat as you can play them a bit for kicks between checking out pinball machines.

One word of warning, however. There's no other show that I've ever been to that attracts as many unwashed people as CAX. Be prepared to be elbow to elbow with stinky dudes far too often.

#7 4 years ago

And that was BEFORE California ran out of water. Oh boy...

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I think it's great for pinball, and I plan on going back this year. There are some rare games, and the people are pretty friendly. The huge number of video games also is pretty neat as you can play them a bit for kicks between checking out pinball machines.
    One word of warning, however. There's no other show that I've ever been to that attracts as many unwashed people as CAX. Be prepared to be elbow to elbow with stinky dudes far too often.

I like to call them Mouth Breathers
    mouth-breather[1].jpg

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from joemagiera:

If you're looking for a tournament type show, this isn't it

I love the way the tournament is ran. I could not disagree more. Some of the top players in the world are there entered in it. It is also ran smooth. Very professionally done.

I really don't get this comment.

#10 4 years ago

Thanks for the input - It looks like I might pass. I was hoping to go to a show where there would be a lot of games plus a lot of vendors. I was hoping to possibly be able to pic up an EM game while I was there. I can't make the pin-a-go-go due to me being out of town.

I wish there was a show in Los Angeles.

#11 4 years ago

Mark, you missed Arcade Expo which was awesome! Located off the 10 in Banning. I think they are going to have another show in October?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Mark, you missed Arcade Expo which was awesome! Located off the 10 in Banning. I think they are going to have another show in October?

I will have to look out for that one. Have never heard of it before.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

Thanks for the input - It looks like I might pass. I was hoping to go to a show where there would be a lot of games plus a lot of vendors. I was hoping to possibly be able to pic up an EM game while I was there. I can't make the pin-a-go-go due to me being out of town.

Thats a bummer as there were quite a few EMs for cheap at PAGG last year.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Thats a bummer as there were quite a few EMs for cheap at PAGG last year.

If someone is at PAGG and notices a real nice game for a good price, I would be interested if they tell me about it. Maybe a finders fee or something....

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

If someone is at PAGG and notices a real nice game for a good price, I would be interested if they tell me about it. Maybe a finders fee or something....

What titles or eras are you interested in?

I just noticed you have a worlds fair jigsaw! Wow, talk about a rarer game! Thats really awesome. And all your other stuff is on the new side, how did you end up with that?

#16 4 years ago

What titles or eras are you interested in?
    I just noticed you have a worlds fair jigsaw! Wow, talk about a rarer game! Thats really awesome. And all your other stuff is on the new side, how did you end up with that?

I meet this guy in Escondido CA that has a house all full of older games. He had a World Series and a Jigsaw that I played and thought was really cool. When I got back home I did some research on the game and it lead me to Hal O'Rourke who was the expert in restoring these games (before he passed away). I called Hal and it just so happens he had a Jigsaw which he just got and it was in excellent condition but he also restored (he also commented that he hadn't had a jigsaw in a long time). So it was just a matter of timing.

Here is a post I did on the game...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rockola-worlds-fair-jigsaw-pictures

I will add that I have restored a few games such as my monster bash, AFM, IJ (which I sold) and WCS. So I decided to buy a rockola world series and restore it. I got pretty far along in the restoration but ended up breaking a critical part that couldn't be reproduced. They are pretty hard to restore and some of the metal is pot metal and pretty fragile after all these years. I ended parting it out for more than I paid for it but some gave me a hard time for parting out the game. In the end even, that game got parted but it ended up completing a lot of other games out there.

I have all the pinball compendium books so I am looking through at what EM games interest me - I think so far I like Kings & Queens, El Dorado, Centigrade 37, Buckaroo, Flipper Cowboy, King of Diamonds, Target Alpha. I like something with backglass animation or lots of drop targets. I am looking for a nice fully working game.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

I like something with backglass animation or lots of drop targets. I am looking for a nice fully working game

Izzy has a beautiful Jumping Jack
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pagg-2015-pins-for-saletrade/page/4#post-2372686

Quoted from marksf123:

Maybe a finders fee or something....

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

I love the way the tournament is ran. I could not disagree more. Some of the top players in the world are there entered in it. It is also ran smooth. Very professionally done.
    I really don't get this comment.

Ok, I must apologize for that comment. To be honest, I'm not a tournament player, so I shouldn't have commented at all. I was just going by what I've seen at the Chicago Pinball Expo and read about other shows. Based on advertisment and people talking about it, it sure doesn't seem like the CAX pinball tournament is one of the premier pinball tournament events. I see dozens (hundreds?) of posts on PAPA and Expo and many other tournaments. I don't think I've ever seen a post related to the CAX pinball tournament. Now that isn't to say it's not a well run or great tournament, I have just never seen or read the hype for it like I see for other shows/tournaments.

If you've been in it and think it's good, then I fully believe you and I think that's great and I'm really glad to hear that. I really like CAX in general, so anything that is a positive related to CAX, I'm all for it. Like I mentioned, I'm a vid guy and CAX is definitely the best vid show I've ever attended or heard about.

Joe

#19 4 years ago

I love both PAGG and CAX equally, for different reasons.

I love PAGG because it's exclusively pins and I'm usually seriously jonesing to play lots of other pins, buy parts and pieces that I missed on a recent order, and it's such a laid back show that it's damn near a requirement to go. Plus, the car show on Sunday is awesome(I'm a car guy who grew up on British sports cars, even though all I have now are Mustangs)!

CAX takes me back even more so to my childhood in arcades playing ALL of the video games, plus it usually has about 50% of the diversity of collection that PAGG typically has, and almost as many pins. It's such a kick to walk in there and hear the sounds of days gone by. This year I plan to take a few audio recordings of the sound in there. Further, it melds two sides of the classic arcade hobby and it's nice to meet the big time vid guys that are always every bit as awesome as the pin guys.

Both are great shows that are must-go's at least once in your life!

#20 4 years ago

^^^ Extremely well said. I will say that CAX usually gets some random pins that dont get a lot of love. They have a whole row of the Gottlieb era with the photo translites last year.

#21 4 years ago

I will say that CAX usually gets some random pins that don't get a lot of love.

This.

For some reason CAX had more EM pitch-and-bats than PAGG had last year. You'd think it'd be the other way around. I played all of them at both shows, too. I'd love to have one someday, so I count playing all of them as "doing my homework" for a future purchase.

#22 4 years ago

I also like PAGG and CAX for different reasons:

PAGG positives:

Nothing but pinball machines.
    Very chill vibe.
    Pinball swap meet!
    I'm not a car guy, but the British Car Show is cool.

PAGG (minor) issues;

No hotel nearby (walking distance)
    No on site beer
    Building 2 gets pretty warm

CAX positives:

Generally a row of the latest Stern games
    Rare pins (BBB, Kingpin, that machine in that horrible Brooke Shields flick, Tilt, etc)
    Vintage video games, if that's your thing.
    Excellent seminars
    Full bar
    Room is an elevator ride away.
    More to do for your significant other that is indifferent to pinball

CAX issues:
    I heard it was better last year, but the process to gain entrance in the past has been a pain. Long lines in the heat, even if you prepaid.
    Occasional rude people and quite a few people that won't give up a machine after their done, single people playing 4 players, etc.
    Loud EDM music pumping at night. Bring Advil.

2 months later
    #23 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Loud EDM music pumping at night. Bring Advil.

This is true, but let's be fair: you can't hear them in the arcade. You can only hear them if you're in the bar/lobby area. Which means you should go back to the arcade.

#24 4 years ago

One thing i would like to see a California Extreme is a Flea market. Dont know where they would put it, but would be cool if they had one.

2 weeks later
    #25 4 years ago
    Quoted from twinmice:

One thing i would like to see a California Extreme is a Flea market. Dont know where they would put it, but would be cool if they had one.

Would definitely be cool, they would have to have it in the parking lot - and well.. parking sucks at this hotel already

#26 4 years ago

agreed. can't imagine a swap meet either in santa clara or san jose; certainly not outdoors.

santa clara convention center indoors is not all that big. would be hard to devote space to an indoor swap meet.

#27 4 years ago

I really enjoy both CAX and PAGG. If you like to play EMs, there are a ton of them at CAX, and there are usually no lines to play most of them. The rest of the show is insanely overpopulated though. I usually take off during the day and come back later at night when the crowds die down a bit. Having the games, the bar, and the hotel in the same building is a huge plus.

#28 4 years ago

Just wanna let folks know of a fundraiser tournament on Thursday before CAX - in just over a week!

This is to raise funds for the Star Trek Pro that is going into the UCSF Children's Hospital and should be fun. It's being held at an old school spot in Sunnyvale and Rick Stetta's machines are in the tourney (he may come compete too!).

Here's the link to details: https://www.facebook.com/events/383750198489576/

#29 4 years ago

I see AMH is officially on the list. Is it true? Genex? I seem to recall you posted you were hoping to get your own in time for the show. If this is it, its definitely appreciated.

#30 4 years ago

CAX will feature a big chunk of the combined collection of Mark Birching and TJ Beyer. TJ is the top bay area pinball operator, and their collection includes an original Big Bang Bar and Kingpin. Both of them are principle show organizers and pinball enthusiasts. This is definitely a show for players.

As for buy/sell and vendors, PAGG is probably the better show. CAX is a celebration of the old school arcade. I've gone the last five years and I can tell you, there is no better!

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

CAX will feature a big chunk of the combined collection of Mark Birching and TJ Beyer. TJ is the top bay area pinball operator, and their collection includes an original Big Bang Bar and Kingpin. Both of them are principle show organizers and pinball enthusiasts. This is definitely a show for players.
    As for buy/sell and vendors, PAGG is probably the better show. CAX is a celebration of the old school arcade. I've gone the last five years and I can tell you, there is no better!

your a little off on that.. Its ken and tj that are linked. To the best of my knowledge, Mark is in his own universe. All 3 are major factors behind cax..

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

I see AMH is officially on the list. Is it true? Genex? I seem to recall you posted you were hoping to get your own in time for the show. If this is it, its definitely appreciated.

So I am planning on bringing it but there were some board delays so Spooky got them in but had a bunch of AMHs in queue that then had to get them installed and shipped out. Not sure if it'll make it or not, but I am hopeful. Might be super close if it doesn't make it but fingers crossed I was going to bring it for the charity tourney I am hosting the night before if it arrives by then too.

oh and Jonny isn't it TJ AND Jim that own a bunch of the machines? Mark is the guy who puts on CAX (with others of course) and also had a ton of machines

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

TJ is the top bay area pinball operator

Seems like a nice guy too, I met him while playing on one of his routes in SF a couple years back.

#34 4 years ago

Hobbit @ CAX?

#35 4 years ago

TJ, Jim, Ken, Mark all own a bunch of machines...

#36 4 years ago

Its on the list and there's a talk with one of the JJ developers. I'm looking forward to playing this almost as much as AMH adn BBB

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

So I am planning on bringing it but there were some board delays so Spooky got them in but had a bunch of AMHs in queue that then had to get them installed and shipped out. Not sure if it'll make it or not, but I am hopeful. Might be super close if it doesn't make it but fingers crossed I was going to bring it for the charity tourney I am hosting the night before if it arrives by then too.
    oh and Jonny isn't it TJ AND Jim that own a bunch of the machines? Mark is the guy who puts on CAX (with others of course) and also had a ton of machines

Well, now everyone has me all confused, but I'm 99% sure the owner sticker on BBB and KP say Mark B and TJ.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Well, now everyone has me all confused, but I'm 99% sure the owner sticker on BBB and KP say Mark B and TJ.

all 200 or so of those stickers that I have seen say Ken & TJ.

#39 4 years ago

Mark says he's bringing something like 48. (edit: I had the number wrong before.)

Ken & TJ have a Very Large Collection. Their collection is the kernel that the show was formed around, back when it was only a couple hundred games. They have a lot of really cool stuff (original BBB, Kingpin, Billy Bowl).

Jim & TJ started buying up the System 80B games a couple years ago. I think they may be picking up more than just the 80B stuff.

So there are Jim & TJ games, but there are many more Ken & TJ games.

Of course, a lot more people bring stuff than did in the early days, so there are a lot more nametags than there used to be.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from ts4z:

Mark says he's bringing something like 48. (edit: I had the number wrong before.)
    Ken & TJ have a Very Large Collection. Their collection is the kernel that the show was formed around, back when it was only a couple hundred games. They have a lot of really cool stuff (original BBB, Kingpin, Billy Bowl).
    Jim & TJ started buying up the System 80B games a couple years ago. I think they may be picking up more than just the 80B stuff.
    So there are Jim & TJ games, but there are many more Ken & TJ games.
    Of course, a lot more people bring stuff than did in the early days, so there are a lot more nametags than there used to be.

Jim has a great collection of late-model Gottliebs.

#41 4 years ago

I'm fairly certain Genex's AMH won't be delivered before the CAX show. A few set backs for delivery at Spooky Pinball.

That's a real shame, as he was very serious in sharing his new game with everyone, provided it arrived.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I'm fairly certain Genex's AMH won't be delivered before the CAX show. A few set backs for delivery at Spooky Pinball.
    That's a real shame, as he was very serious in sharing his new game with everyone, provided it arrived.

Yep this is correct. At best it would be on the road from Benton on Thursday before CAX and it's 4-days to arrive so it'd arrive the Sunday of CAX (although I am not sure if they deliver on weekends). I already let CAX know so it may already have been removed from the list.

There will be so much great stuff at CAX though so I am super amped See you all there!

#43 4 years ago

Did Loren get his AMH?
    -mof

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

removed from the list.

Thanks for trying.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Did Loren get his AMH?
    -mof

Loren received his AMH months ago but unfortunately it has an issue and he's awaiting a new playfield.

#46 4 years ago

So there will not be an AMH @ CAX?

hrmm... I may have a line on 1 or 2 of them that we could possibly arrange

#47 4 years ago

Will the main turny finals be live on PAPA TV?

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

So there will not be an AMH @ CAX?

hrmm... I may have a line on 1 or 2 of them that we could possibly arrange

I'd say no, its no longer on the game list. This may be my last CA show for a while and was really hoping to see one there. You and who ever can share would be a hero if it can work out.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from atariaction:

Will the main turny finals be live on PAPA TV?

I think Karl DeAngelo is doing a broadcast. Look for it at http://www.twitch.tv/iepinball

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

I'd say no, its no longer on the game list. This may be my last CA show for a while and was really hoping to see one there. You and who ever can share would be a hero if it can work out.

Not looking good... I think I could get the game... but the logistics of it doesnt work out and I'd need to rent a truck

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 189.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 25.50
    $ 1,099.00
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.95
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 169.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside