Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by fireball2
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

One week from today the next chapter in my (our) life begins. Background.... we bought a condo in San Jose, California a couple months ago, then came back to Ohio, put our house on the market and sold in 5 days. We've been packing and downsizing like crazy....moving from a 4 bedroom home to a 2 bedroom condo. The condo has a one car garage compared to 3 cars in the house we sold. Had 11 pins in the house and quickly sold 4 of them thinking we couldn't fit them in a POD. But after more analysis, decided to rent a Uhaul instead of the POD. Now it turns out I have room for more pins in the Uhaul. Have picked up 2 pins in the past two weeks. So preparing 9 pins for the move to their new home out west.

We load up the Uhaul in one week and start the 36 hour drive (probably longer in a Uhaul). I'm thinking 4 motel nights on the road. Not looking forward to all that driving, but excited to think about settling into a relaxed lifestyle.

The condo is in a 55+ community. There are lots of older folks....60's, 70's, 80's and older. I'm thinking they'll get a kick out of playing the old pins they grew up playing....EM's. So my plan is to turn the garage into the pinball palace and invite the old guys (and ladies) for Freeplay Fridays on my old EM's. Give the old people something to do! Any thoughts or suggestions from my Pinside family?

#2 4 years ago

I don’t have any suggestions, but thanks for reintroducing people to pinball. Enjoy your retirement

#3 4 years ago

My only question is why would anyone retire to CA? We all put up with CA to make money then leave to better places when we retire!

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cruster:

My only question is why would anyone retire to CA?

1. The weather. He lives with six months of snow, ice and sleet. Now he has to buy sunblock
    2. The smog
    3. Earthquakes
    4. The traffic
    5. The 10% state income tax rate

It was either move to retirement community in the swamp (aka Florida) or move to Cali

Just kidding. I don’t know the ops real motivations, but I’m assuming it’s the weather

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cruster:My only question is why would anyone retire to CA? We all put up with CA to make money then leave to better places when we retire!

All good questions...Yeah, nobody in their right mind moves to California....they move away from California. But, hear me out:
    I grew up in California. Moved away 48 years ago. My mother still lives there, alone. She will be 90 this year. I retired a few years ago so doesn't matter where I live. My mother would never move from her home so we decided to move there. We bought a place 4 doors up from hers...a 1 minute walk away. Figured she took care of me for the first 16 years of my life, time for me to take care of her for her last years.

I'm not looking forward to the political landscape in California, nor the traffic, nor the taxes, or sanctuary cities, or any of that....but besides being there for my mother, we will enjoy the weather, the beautiful geography, the ocean, the cultural opportunities, and the many activities in our 55+ retirement community. I'm really excited as well to get my pins set up and made available to the community.

#7 4 years ago

Sorry,I wanted to know if you did any research on SanJose??? The MS-13 gang rules there,and it is a center for illegal immigrants to find families to hide them!! This all takes place at the famous San Jose flea market! Relaxed lifestyle??You will hear gunshots all night, along with accompanied sirens of police and ambulances!!If you leave your car on the street it will become spare parts for the many gangs of car thieves!! Good luck!!

#8 4 years ago

OMG Hawkmoon... You're killing me...

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Sorry,I wanted to know if you did any research on SanJose??? The MS-13 gang rules there,and it is a center for illegal immigrants to find families to hide them!! This all takes place at the famous San Jose flea market! Relaxed lifestyle??You will hear gunshots all night, along with accompanied sirens of police and ambulances!!If you leave your car on the street it will become spare parts for the many gangs of car thieves!! Good luck!!

I was all excited about my move to California...then came along Debbie Downer.

#10 4 years ago

Yeppers JethroP,most folks there in OHIO haven't one clue as to whats actually happening here in Calif>>You just proved it!!!!

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

hawkmoon I thought my post might have been mean. Thanks for making my post look tame. Who knows, maybe the op is looking for some excitement in retirement

#12 4 years ago

Hawkmoon is too excited about GSPF to be thinking clearly

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/california-dreamin-and-freeplay-fridays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.