Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC06099.JPG
DSC06098.JPG
DSC06097.JPG
DSC06096.JPG
DSC06095.JPG
DSC06094.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 10 years ago

By the time a CL deal is listed here, we're all probably at least 10 seconds too late to the party to begin with. The CL lurkers have their own tricks for finding ads the second they post. Even if posting the ad here were to get someone on Pinside to spoil someone else's deal (swoop in and offer a gillionbojillion dollars), those people were likely going to do that anyways without this thread's help.

I'm not bringing that up to be a thread crapper, but more for how it is harmless to have these things listed here so we can shoot the shit about them.

If Bay Area collectors are desperate for fair deals, you don't even need CL. Get to know some collectors in your community. Don't be a dick or obviously use people just to flip machines and suddenly finding games X, Y and Z that you really wanted is not as difficult as you thought. You might even find yourself inside a warehouse. Hell, you may even enjoy the hobby more! It's been my experience since I first started collecting vids in 97.

P.S. MM is still gonna be expensive though. Sorry.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Unfortunately, I was communicating with the seller to buy the Whirlwind and next thing you know he said he sold it to someone else.
Sales 101:
More exposure creates more interest. More interest creates more demand. More demand inflates the prices (or at the very least reduces your odds of getting the game, and eliminates your leverage to negotiate).
Plenty of examples have been posted. Plastering every good local deal on Pinside is not helping locals get a good deal.

Your logic is sound. I even very much agree with it in most cases, unfortunately, this is NorCal/Bay Area Craigslist we are talking about. This situation is not that one-dimensional. I swear to you...by whatever book you want me to, with a hand over my heart...that I have heard your story hundreds if not thousands of times over without an ad EVER hitting Pinside, RGP or KLOV.

I guarantee you that there was already a very high likelihood that you were not the first person to contact the buyer. I can even more so guarantee you that someone was going to swoop in and attempt to spoil your sweet deal without anyone mentioning it on Pinside/RGP/KLOV. If you snag a fair deal off of Craigslist in the Bay Area in 2013, you're already dodging several bullets. There are people in this local community whose entire (notorious) reputation is from being known for spoiling other people's Craigslist deals. In some cases just to flip them the next day. I've heard stories of people driving several miles out of their way to pick up a game, just to receive a phone call as they get off the freeway that someone else bought it. I've even heard of situations where a buyer is in the driveway talking to a seller, just to have someone walk up and step in between them to offer more cash. Being cut off at the email point is a blessing in some cases.

Craigslist is just not the gold mine it use to be, unless you're prepared to be cut throat competitive or carry a lot of lucky charms in your pockets. Pinside/KLOV/RGP's contribution to that bad luck is miniscule, because everyone and their Mom is already watching the same CL listings without this thread.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Was it fellow Pinsider ThatGuy? Did he pick that HH up? I'm really curious what kind of other stuff that guy has, vids and what not...

He's a nice guy and definitely gets props from me. He worked his butt off organizing a warehouse raid and instead of hoarding it all for himself, he shared it with the NorCal vid community. A lot of guys got some nice deals from his generosity (myself included).

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Well, he forgot about me! That's not very nice.
What kind of stuff did y'all get? Was it from Action Video Games? I know he was selling out a couple months back...

I don't know who the operator was, since it's not an area I am super familiar with (and I don't remember there being tags on my machines). I know a guy that got a very nice Jackbot and another guy that snagged a nice Batman Forever out of there.

I was primarily picking up vid stuff, since the pinball stuff was slim pickings. Picked up a dedicated Mortal Kombat II that was converted to Ergheiz that's sitting in the "restoration waiting room" and a working dedicated Pole Position. Now, non-working Pole Positions are a dime a dozen, but working is sort of a rare beast. These things are super touchy and wonky. I'm holding onto mine waiting for the supposedly much more stable, multi-PP board being worked on. Then a tall stack of parts/boards/art for 90's games (I'm more a 90's collector than 80's when it comes to vids).

Fucked up story: I actually brought my pregnant wife with me for the first haul (it's a 2+ hour drive...she saw it as our last adventure before the kid arrives). I blew a tire on the way back and she had contractions on the side of the road. I almost had my baby on the side of the freeway in Fresno. They ended up being those false alarm contractions, which I forget the name of. Four tires later and I pretty much paid the worth of both machines just transporting them home. A week or so later my daughter was born.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sosage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/california-cl-finds-haunted-house?tu=sosage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.