Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Tharizdun
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

This weekend i had the opportunity to do business with Chris Fox from Sly Fox shipping and Brian from Pintastic Pinball (in Corona)

First, the shipping

Chris is a great option for pinballs moving up and down the state. $150. Picks it up one day, delivers the next. Great guy. Did what he said he would do and stayed in touch. His number is 209-403-8871 or [email protected]

The seller.

Saw his craigslist and ebay photos. All looked good. I asked him to explain any and all deficiencies with the game. He outlined the insert wear and i give him that. Game arrived and i was really impressed with the cabinet (a couple of dings but overall in pretty good shape). But, no keys came with the game. The coin box had a permanent key installed so i'm thankful for that...but i have no way of getting into the backbox. And, there are some black streaks on the back of the backglass (or the translite) that appear permanent. He could have told me that.

Today (day 2) as i am having my most epic game...and put on Grand Champion at 450,000,000...i hit one of the mountains and it falls onto the playfield. After inspection, you can easily see that that it had been repaired several times in the "breaking spot" and was just "one hit away" from busting. Anyone would have noticed that but especially a "pinball seller".

To see a sticker inside that said "Restored by Pintastic". What a joke. Its a pretty clean machine...but no way near restored.

I was really hoping for the best...and i have to say, i am really happy with the pin. Of course, i overpaid by a few hundred dollars....no big deal. But why cant sellers be forthcoming about deficiencies. Serves me right for buying from a "flipper". I had a deal with a Pinside collector the night before that, unfortunately, fell apart.

Anybody else have experience with this seller? And does anybody have any idea how i get into the backbox lock (besides a locksmith) and how i can acquire a "Boulder Garden" mountain

#2 8 years ago

The backbox lock plate can be unscrewed and removed, the lock will come with it. You could then replace it cheaper than getting a key made. Are sure the key isn't hanging on the rear of the coin door?

#3 8 years ago

Can you not just unscrew the plate that holds the lock?

#4 8 years ago

Dont sound to bad ? Any pictures ? Also just unscrew the security bolts for the backbox lock to get it off.also what was the price ? A restored wh20 is very expensive betweeen 8-10k depending on who did it and most retail places that use the restored word mean shopped and all working usually lol. I restore a pin way better than most retailers but no where near hep or others like them.

#5 8 years ago

I paid $4400 plus another $400 for Color DMD. No expectation of a restored machine. Just thought the sticker inside was a little funny. Just bought the mountain set from Marco (had to buy all 6). I am sure the rest either have issues or will go, one by one.. Thanks for advice on the lock plate removal. after 30 inspection of the back of coin door, still no key hanging there.

Perhaps a correction, it is the lock that holds the translite glass in (at the front)

#6 8 years ago

Price sounds within reason for WH20.

#7 8 years ago

no complaints about the price. Price was fair. Just disappointed in not being forthcoming about the obvious flaws. Thats it. No sour grapes. I am stoked to be the owner of a White Water and the game is in very good shape for a 22 year old machine.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

I paid $4400 plus another $400 for Color DMD. No expectation of a restored machine. Just thought the sticker inside was a little funny. Just bought the mountain set from Marco (had to buy all 6). I am sure the rest either have issues or will go, one by one.. Thanks for advice on the lock plate removal. after 30 inspection of the back of coin door, still no key hanging there.
Perhaps a correction, it is the lock that holds the translite glass in (at the front)

Yep not to bad of price depending on the ramp conditions and how bad the insert wear is .I know u weren't expecting a restored pin just stateing what these retailers do for a restored""" pin lol.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

Anybody else have experience with this seller?

Brian and David are the local flipper brothers in SoCal. They're not bad guys, but you have to be a little buyer beware with them, they really don't go over the games first. You may or may not find things totally missing, or hacks, etc. Generally as long as you're not a newb you can fix anything that comes up. Definitely on the higher priced side, but that comes with the flipper territory.

Was this the one he had listed for $5k?

#11 8 years ago

Maybe take his phone number down? That seems punitive, at least for now. As far as the lock goes, I'd just rake it... Haven't met one yet that couldn't be spun in a minute or two.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Maybe take his phone number down? That seems punitive, at least for now.

No, the phone number is for the shipper, that's the good part to share.

#13 8 years ago

I've dealt with David a couple times and both games were in very nice shape. I don't have any experience with Brian though. David was pretty spot on with me as far as quality of the games I bought. I just can't afford the prices anymore since they have spiked. I typically don't like flippers either, but would say David is a pretty honest guy at least he was with me.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No, the phone number is for the shipper, that's the good part to share.

Whoops, yeah I see that now. My fav local brewery is Sly Fox and it's a couple blocks from my job. Synapses were otherwise occupied with fantasies of tasty brews.

#15 8 years ago

I had a similar issue with Brian, got game home and had a few issues and for sure buyer beware with that guy.
He upsells the shit out of himself until you bought the game and then you're SOL. I'd not deal with him again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
17,250 (OBO)
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.95
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/california-awesome-shipper-not-so-great-seller and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.