Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by undrdog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20210415-100555_MultiClinometer (resized).jpg
    A0244B3A-CB75-45C0-B242-1A0BE20DA476 (resized).jpeg

#1 6 months ago

Pictured is an app I’m trying to use to set the slope of my game. Let's say the recommended slope for a game is 6.5. How do I convert the numbers from this app to the 6.5 format? Or, is there another gadget I need? How do I get the slope?

A0244B3A-CB75-45C0-B242-1A0BE20DA476 (resized).jpeg
    #2 6 months ago

I would suggest throwing out the 'slope recommendation' when leveling a game and instead level the game side-to-side and then crank up the feet until you think it plays well.

Remember that just because the pitch is increased doesn't mean it's 'more difficult.' The side-to-side action created from a flatter game can cause more drains off of the slings.

If you really want to know the slope I would purchase a digital level since you can use it for other things as well.

#3 6 months ago

Looks like the app is measuring in radians.

Formula to convert over to degrees is:

Radians x 180/pi = degrees

So per your picture, you want to look at the y-axis and it measures 5.959°

#4 6 months ago

Why not use something that was made to do exactly this? Use the PinGuy app. Put it on the playfield, and you're done.

#5 6 months ago

There is probably a setting in that app you can change as well to display degrees. Or use a different free level app. The one I used is called "MultiClinometer". Bare bones but free and works good for games.

Screenshot_20210415-100555_MultiClinometer (resized).jpg
    #6 6 months ago

Buy a digital level off Amazon. No phone apps work 100%. Your games deserves to be setup correctly.

amazon.com link »

#7 6 months ago

I thought it was this.

#8 6 months ago

If you want to setup today, my digital level was about $20 at Home Depot. Even had an option to zeroize. Tells the slope in degrees with .1 degree accuracy.

#9 6 months ago

I use this for my table saw (and also for pinballs). It has a magnetic base for the table saw:

amazon.com link »

Here is a short article on phone level apps - Verdict, ok for general use, doesn't beat a real digital level though.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/level-app-can-pros-trust-smartphone/35102/

#10 6 months ago

Thanks everyone. I’ve been just doing it by feel, but thought I might explore this.

#11 6 months ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

I use this for my table saw (and also for pinballs). It has a magnetic base for the table saw:
    amazon.com link »
    Here is a short article on phone level apps - Verdict, ok for general use, doesn't beat a real digital level though.
    https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/level-app-can-pros-trust-smartphone/35102/

I have this small level as well. Works great and not expensive. Easy to use

#12 6 months ago

So how are people using a level like this to accurately measure either the side-to-side or front-to-back level?

Levels (digital or "bubble") are only going to be correct if they are "squared" in the opposite direction that is being measured.

People here always say that you should measure on the playfield (not on the glass). But if you put the level on the playfield, you need some way of being certain that you are not slightly angled, because if you are, the readings will be off.

Maybe if you are lucky, there is some straight-lined playfield artwork that you can key off of, but often there isn't.

If you measure with the glass on, you can use the side rails and the lockdown bar as straight edges, but then you are assuming that the playfield is "in line" with the glass.

Seems like either way has potential issues.

#13 6 months ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

So how are people using a level like this to accurately measure either the side-to-side or front-to-back level?
    Levels (digital or "bubble") are only going to be correct if they are "squared" in the opposite direction that is being measured.
    People here always say that you should measure on the playfield (not on the glass). But if you put the level on the playfield, you need some way of being certain that you are not slightly angled, because if you are, the readings will be off.
    Maybe if you are lucky, there is some straight-lined playfield artwork that you can key off of, but often there isn't.
    If you measure with the glass on, you can use the side rails and the lockdown bar as straight edges, but then you are assuming that the playfield is "in line" with the glass.
    Seems like either way has potential issues.

What I always do it place a dowel or ruler between 2 posts I know are at the exact same "height" on the field. Usually the top of the slings. I then place the level square against the ruler and the table and know I am at a perfect 90 degree angle to the table. You can use a square to get the perpendicular angle.

#14 6 months ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Pictured is an app I’m trying to use to set the slope of my game.

If you give the name of the app maybe we can see if there is a way to display in degrees.

As mbeardsley pointed out, you still have to figure out if your phone is ‘square’ to the measured surface. I think the easiest way to do that would be using a real level on a flat surface and calibrate your phone to that. Perfection isn’t achievable but you can get a usable measurement.

My experience as a machinist taught me there are many ways to err when measuring. The more precise you need to be the more difficult it is to get it right.

#15 6 months ago

Maybe I am under thinking this but I just use my phone app and then hold and release a ball in various spots and play a game, tweaking as needed until it feels right. I would go by how the game plays to you.

#16 6 months ago

Here is a nice tutorial on how to do this the right way.

#18 6 months ago

good lord

#19 6 months ago

It's the playfield cleaning thread all over again!

#20 6 months ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

It's the playfield cleaning thread all over again!

Oh, is there some sort of best way to clean a playfield...?

#21 6 months ago

This picture is exactly what I was talking about. The article uses this picture to demonstrate a level playfield.

However, the problem is that even though the bubble is centered, the level itself is obviously not squared - which means the playfield is NOT actually level.

The same problem applies to digital levels and smartphones as well.

#22 6 months ago
    Quoted from sataneatscheese:

Here is a nice tutorial on how to do this the right way.

LMAO my all time favorite!!

#23 6 months ago

Roll the ball down the inalnes and trap the ball on both flippers & do some post passes; that's tell you left to right.

EDIT: If you're not over anal or a dipshit

#24 6 months ago

I use the "PinGuy" app - placed on the playfield, it gives audio feedback as you adjust - front to back, side to side (all while I'm underneath the game adjusting) And can be calibrated to at least me level of playing skillz.

#25 6 months ago

Pinguy app I believe is Apple only?

Pinball leveler is Android and I don't feel it's that trustworthy

#26 6 months ago
    Quoted from Nikrox2:

I use the "PinGuy" app - placed on the playfield, it gives audio feedback as you adjust - front to back, side to side (all while I'm underneath the game adjusting) And can be calibrated to at least me level of playing skillz.

I set up the pitch the way I like it manually through playing and adjusting the leg levelers. I use the PinGuy app on the glass resting against the lockbar and also at the top edge to level side-to-side in front and back, respectively. If I move a machine to another location on my uneven basement floor, I first use the app on the glass at the lockbar to measure the pitch and use it similarly at the new location to set up the pin at that pitch. That’s worked fairly well for me.

#27 6 months ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

If you give the name of the app maybe we can see if there is a way to display in degrees.

Found it. There were no settings, which is what I was looking for. Touch the readout and it changed to degrees .

Downloaded the PinGuy app, too

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside