Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by banderas
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

The next project Domino and I realized was the implementation of the "Cactus Canyon Shaker Kit".

We always felt that a shaker had to be implemented into the pinball and we were again searching for some shakers, but the shakers out there didn’t fulfill our requirements : a strong and NOT vibrating shaker at the same time. Additional we wanted to be able to control the strength of the shaker, so again Domino took care of the hardware part and developed just for the Cactus Canyon a shaker, which fulfill all requirements and I did again the software part and it’s just great ! Features of the Shaker is :

1. Plug´n´play system

2. Configuration via the Settings menu in the service menu

-> Shaker on or off
-> Setting the shaker strength

3. The shaker will shake in the following situations :

Section 1: Drop Targets

1. Hitting drop target in quickdraw mode
2. Hitting drop target in showdown mode
3. Hitting drop target in CvA mode
4. Hitting drop target in gunfight mode
5. Hitting drop target in ambush mode
6. Hitting drop target in high noon mode
7. Hitting drop target in Boss fight (You killed my brother)
8. Hitting drop target in Goldmine mode -> Bandits

Section 2 : Animations

9. Killing a bad guy in bank robbery mode
10. Shooting into the mine
11. Destroying the saucer in CvA mode
12. In the extra ball animation, when the bad guy gets the ball on his head (I LOVE that one !
13. in tribute feature (Still secret and NOT public)

Section 3 : Other

14. Hitting bart in the saloon

That shaker-kit will give you just another gameplay feeling and works very well with the gameplay of the cactus canyon pinball.

For further information, please send me an email.

André

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT :
---------------

To use that feature, you need to have a custom software version and a P-ROC board. According to the disclaimer of Eric Priepke´s fabulous Cactus Canyon Continued Software :

Cactus Canyon Continued
=======================

A P-ROC Project. Written by an amateur. Seriously, this is the first OOP I've ever
done, so my code is probably garbage. Try not to laugh.

This is built on the shoulders of giants
========================================

A lot of code in this thing is heavily cribbed from the work of others. A LOT. Built
upon the PyProcGame framework by Adam Preble and Gerry Stellenberg, it includes a lot
of borrowed ideas from the likes of Koen Heltzel, Jim Askey and others. Without those
guys, there'd be no this thing. They're awesome. I'm a nub.

It's not all here
=================

There's other stuff involved. The DMD graphics and sounds aren't in here. So, this
won't run as is.

Disclaimer type stuff
=====================

This code is here, freely available to anyone for perusing and studying or whatever -- but
I ask that if you make changes to it for your own use that you DO NOT redistribute it
under the same project name, and make it VERY CLEAR that it was modified from the original,
so that I don't have other people asking me about code I didn't write.

I can't be blamed for anything you do with this code. If you take it and use it for
something, that's on you. I make no guarantees of any kind as to function or performance.

This project is not affiliated with, or endorsed by WMS Gaming and/or whomever it is
that currently holds the rights to the pinball properties under the Bally name.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN
THE SOFTWARE.

we created a customized version, which is based on Eric Priepkes fantastic software which we call "Cactus Canyon - Extended Edition". With this name, we have a clear separation between the 2 code versions and we want to make sure that Eric has nothing to do with this customized version, so please do not bother him with any of the new features we implemented.

// Error: Image 113977 not found //

#2 10 years ago

Gréât post

Thanks

#3 10 years ago

Why not just bolt in a standard Stern Shaker motor? I don't understand why you needed to engineer a 'new' one.

Congrats on bastardizing my software with your over done shaker treatment. I'm thrilled.

#4 10 years ago

We first thought to the stern shaker motor and I tested them in Freddys Pinball Paradise but the "shake" was just a moderate shake and it´s also using another power voltage. But we wanted to have a good shake without any vibrations and it should be fully configurable...and that are features stern shakers do not offer, so we developed our our shaker.

#5 10 years ago

"good shake without any vibrations"

I hope your shaker motors destroy your gaming stations platter hard drives.

#6 10 years ago

Andre when will you realise it's simply not cool to ride on someone elses efforts!

Eric created CCC because he saw the CC software as being incomplete. So he does all the hard work and produces great code from scratch. You seem to think it's ok to use his free software for whatever you dream up to sell and profit from, even without Eric's approval. That is extremely low.

#7 10 years ago

What is all this "we" crap? Last time I checked, you had nothing to do with this other than your schemes to make money off someone else's work. Andre, you are a complete douchebag. I would never send you a dime.

#8 10 years ago

So this a shaker that doesnt shake?

I have a bunch of dead light bulbs FS, $5 a dozen+shipping.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I have a bunch of dead light bulbs FS, $5 a dozen+shipping.

PM sent.

#10 10 years ago

Been in contact with Eric for months and watching his work over the team viewer is amazing

Pretty shitty cashing in on his work with over 12 months of time under his belt

Shakes when you hit a drop ? Really that's the best you can do ? Or is that the only tie in you figured could drive the motor

Nothing more to see the real cactus canyon continued thread is alive and well

Color LCD coming from the creator himself

#11 10 years ago

A general reply to all these comments can be found here :

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-audio-kit#post-977072

Some people seems not to know the difference between "shake" and "vibration"...ok, just image how a shaker is working :

1. The motor gets his pulse
2. The motor starts
3. the weight attached to the motor will start to move -> the pinball is shaking
4. Now imagine that the pulse is stronger and longer -> the pin will move from "shaking" into "vibrating", which is not a good issue

And thats the problem with the stern shakers...our motor is developed to work at the border between shaking and vibrating...this is why I would never put a stern shaker into the cactus canyon, but thats surely your decision...

Regarding all attacks here : When we had the shaker idea, I wrote Eric an email regarding the shaker and asked him if he could implement it. He also thought that this is a nice idea. To test our first version of the shaker, I asked him to do a little change in the code so that when the knocker is fired, that the shaker will be activated and we can define a pulse. We didnt have so much time because there was a deal on the internet for some motors and we couldnt wait so long. Eric refused because he also didnt have the time and said clearly that "the knocker is for the knocker"...basta...that was the first time I started to make the modifications so that we can start our tests. When everything was finished, I even proposed him to send him the code I changed so that he must not do it anymore, but also that was refused....mhhh...I have no problems to also provide the modified code to Eric and dont want to be mentioned in any way !! I am not in an attack mode...just want to get the best out of the software...the goal is the target...

But these are information people just do not know but starting here a big discussion and attack other ones...maybe thats fine and cool...I just know that from german forums...but this is not my style, sorry

Again : This is not a selling thread : We just want to see if anybody has interest in that kit and I will put you on the list. When the complete development is finished, I will write you a separate email and give -> "FURTHER INFORMATION"...as I already wrote in my first post...

I will not follow that thread anymore because in my opionion, everything is written...

André

#12 10 years ago

André

I really think you should have respected Eric's wishes when it came to the code, what you're doing is a bad advert for open source projects

#13 10 years ago

Doesn't seem to matter what anyone says, even Eric. Andre just seems to think what he is doing is ok.

I agree with you, all this does is give these projects a bad feel, annoys Eric and could result in other future projects not being released for us to enjoy. It's a real shame Andre can't see this for himself.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from banderas:

When we had the shaker idea, I wrote Eric an email regarding the shaker and asked him if he could implement it. He also thought that this is a nice idea. To test our first version of the shaker, I asked him to do a little change in the code so that when the knocker is fired, that the shaker will be activated and we can define a pulse. We didnt have so much time because there was a deal on the internet for some motors and we couldnt wait so long. Eric refused because he also didnt have the time and said clearly that "the knocker is for the knocker"...basta...that was the first time I started to make the modifications so that we can start our tests.

This is partially true, but kind of misleading. I didn't want to jack around with the knocker code because that's just dumb. If shaker support was going to be added, I didn't want it to be a choice between either a knocker or a shaker -- there's no reason it has to be. It should be wired up as some other unused coil, which it easily can be. I was fully willing to include shaker support in the main code, and still could. I'm just really busy this month (holidays, LCDs, etc) and hadn't gotten around to it. Then Andre does this crap and now I'm entirely disinterested in working on it. Even if I had put shaker support in, I woudln't have turned it on often enough to be to Andre's liking and he would have hacked up the code anyway. I can't win with this guy.

And that last bit about "this was the first time I started to make modifications" at the end is false. Earlier on, he wanted me to add a train whistle sound to when the train starts moving in Polly Peril: Terror on the Tracks -- so I tested it out, and agreed it was pretty cool, so I included it. But he wanted the whistle to go off EVERY TIME the train started moving. I tested it that way and it was just obnoxious, so I said no. Then I find him on a foreign forum talking about how the version of CCC "his customers" get on their gaming stations has his crazy over done whistle action.

#15 10 years ago

Hello there,

Today we finished the presentation video for the Shaker kit and here is the link :

I also attached a photo of it...

Bye,

André

// Error: Image 115392 not found //

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 1,139.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-shaker-kit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.