Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by romulusx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing either a NIB Cactus Canyon Remake SE or Willy Wonka LE. I realize these are vastly different machines with the only real similarity being the individual who did the artwork (I believe John Youssi did the artwork on the original CC as well as WW) and that it may be like comparing apples and oranges. I also realize this is a very subjective question--especially for those who either love or hate either theme of these two machines. But putting the themes aside, what are overall thoughts if any? Thanks for the "two cents"

#2 2 years ago

I’m not a fan of either but if I had to I’d get CC remake

#3 2 years ago

I'd go with CC remake just to avoid the JJP playfields

#4 2 years ago

Wonka is an awesome game. Best JJP hands down imho. Id go that way, but I also have CC on order as well heh

#5 2 years ago

Wonka is amazing with the new code. CC looks great too though. Probably can’t go wrong.

#6 2 years ago

Always Wonka but maybe add a Poll.

#7 2 years ago

CC is 3 grand less. 11k for a wonka is a joke price

I would pass on both these games

#8 2 years ago
#9 2 years ago

Have played both games. Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (LE) many more times the Cactus Canyon. It's for fun it's CC. Price doesn't help either one it that column. Wonka is pretty to look at i just cant get in to it want to like it more but each time i walk away and just flustered at it.

#10 2 years ago

wonka all day. CC is fun, but wonka is so much more of a game to keep around a very long time....

#12 2 years ago

Wonka is a great game and a nice looking machine. Playfield issues aside . Don’t let that get in your way of enjoying pinball

#13 2 years ago

CC all day, don't really like Wonka... it's wonky

#14 2 years ago

CC is a great game for the money at the SE level… but Wonka is the better game for sure.

#15 2 years ago

I had a Wonka and tried so hard to love it, but didn’t. It looks amazing, but, for me, the reality was it just wasn’t fun. I say that as at least a better than average pin player. With Wonka, a lot of the criticisms you hear about it are valid. I’d go with CCr. It’s not perfect either but it’s a lot of fun.

#16 2 years ago

IMO Dialed In! is more fun and approachable game than Wonka and can be had for $8K or less (it's incredible to me) everything else is going up but DI is sitting at lower price than new.

CC (IMO) is going to be very good, fun classic game with the potential of a much better code with Lyman at the wheel.

I had Wonka in my basement for 1-2 weeks and could play it as much as I wanted but I just never really got into it, it does shoot well (but so does DI) but the layout especially the top half was not fun and the rules were obtuse.

#17 2 years ago

It really depends on your tastes and collection. I've owned both and still have my Wonka.
The CC/CCC theme was fine but the looping music and easier gameplay got old fast. Also, the the playfield shots aren't as interesting.
If the future new code raises the quality and diversity of the game assets and code flow, that will certainly help it.

For the $, DI shoots similarly and is packed. Wonka is better overall but DI is a great pinball value these days.

#18 2 years ago

After perusing your collection and wishlist, I’d suggest buying Wonka. Besides shooting smoothly, it is fun to play. Once you’ve developed some skills, it is possible to lock 2-3 balls into wonkavator and start multiball in most games, making it rewarding to play. I can’t explain why having your pics taken while playing and then having them splashing up on the display is so addictive, but it is and it adds another dimension to the pinball ownership cycle. You need a JJP game in your collect, period.

CCRemake will be a fine game to play or own, but it is clunky shooting. If you played a CCr right before of after Wonka, you will be in shock at the different feel. CCr is is newest and shiniest game and that is hard to ignore. But a good reason for not selecting CCr now is that you might not like the game. It is a B/W design but it was unfinished and unpolished, causing many to be turned off to buying the game. So the remake will have existing game rules in place but lots of artistic enhancements to the display and physical game. However you can’t shed the western theme that has a tendency to turn off many. The best part about CCr is you can play one on location or a friend’s house soon. In another year, alternate game code by Sheets/Sharpe will be released that will be totally different. Regardless if that is any good, you’d have two game playing experiences to decide among or could pick both. IMO CGC will announce a special run of CCr with the new rules, the topper and new topper integration then. You have 1 year to save up money before buying a CCr+SE. Good luck.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

CCRemake will be a fine game to play or own, but it is clunky shooting.

Totally disagree. CC is a smooth shooter.

#20 2 years ago

Another vote for CCr.

I like Wonka and considered it but JJP’s inability to get the playfield problems under control is a huge red flag when considering buying NIB. Have not played Wonka recently so not sure if I have played the latest code. I like most of the shots but was disappointed in the lack of A/V assets in the game. It’s off my wishlist because I didn’t see it as a long term keeper which is disappointing because I really wanted it to be.

I expect CCr will be a sleeper hit because of the timeless theme and humor. CGC has “completed” the code in the spirit of what the original design team envisioned in the base game and the Lyman package should bring it to a new level while retaining the Williams charm. The game is great to look at and has some different shots. I’m a big fan drop targets and love the way they have been integrated into the game. You mention you are considering an SE which means you don’t want the topper but I would consider an SE+ as the topper has the potential to add a lot to the game (and should be an easy sell later on if you decide it’s not for you because the topper won’t be available separately).

But it’s going to be your game. Pick the one you want most.

#21 2 years ago

As much as I am a fan of JJP machines I wouldn't buy another until it's known the playfield issues are cared for. After Jack's comments where he, basically, blamed the owners for doing something to the pf but yet JJP had the pf removed from warranty .... I'd go with CC.

CG has done a great job with these remakes!

#22 2 years ago

I think you are considering 2 very different games. Wonka, and JJP in general tend to be very deep, complex, rule oriented games. Still fun, just very deep. CCr looks to be a polished up version of the classic Bally/Williams version. Very lighthearted, fun, and not terribly hard to understand objectives. Personally I prefer the 90's charm. Both are great games, but consider exactly what you might prefer in your home. I'm in the CCr camp

#23 2 years ago

I would go for the CC, CGC makes a quality game. I am a JJP fan but getting tired of their quality control issues.

#24 2 years ago

When torn 50/50, always go with theme as the decision maker. No interest in kiddie Cowboys and Indians....but Wonka...wow.

#25 2 years ago

Many thanks to all for the thoughtful comments and overall feedback. I will continue to "chew" on all of the comments as I consider my options... My go-to distributor currently has 5 WW LE's for sale (I was kind of surprised they weren't presold given the limited run but maybe because of the price increase and the fact that "Limited Edition" is relative when your LE limit is set at 5,000 units) but my sense is they'll be gone by the holidays. I have a locked in pre-order on the CCr so no issue there. Decisions, decisions...

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

My go-to distributor currently has 5 WW LE's for sale (I was kind of surprised they weren't presold given the limited run but maybe because of the price increase and the fact that "Limited Edition" is relative when your LE limit is set at 5,000 units) but my sense is they'll be gone by the holidays

JJP has remade WW. The original run took awhile to sellout but once it was made clear the originals were coming to an end people started to buy them up due to FOMO. Now that they're remade not a lot of people are looking for them as the FOMO is gone and so many newer machines are out or coming out.

#27 2 years ago

Pick up my Wonka LE tomorrow from this new run, the new code and Zack/Greg review but me over the edge, seriously how bad can the play field be compared to all 12 new Sterns i purchased this year that instantly dimple with every ball drop!! First JJP Excited, then Celts arrives in January!! That pin is going to be fantastic!!!

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from MJK-911:

to all 12 new Sterns i purchased this year

#29 2 years ago

Personal taste. For me CCr by a long shot.

#30 2 years ago

Wonka all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Wonderful game!

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from MJK-911:

Pick up my Wonka LE tomorrow from this new run … seriously how bad can the play field be

Let’s hope you don’t find out.

#32 2 years ago

I have been bitten by the JJP bug. Go Wonka!

#33 2 years ago

Personal choice as well love my Wonka, the new code is awesome. Haven't played CCr. Played CC in April at PHOF
It was ok, set on 5 ball which were 2 balls to many.

However my Wonka gets much more play than my MBr and AFMr. Good luck.

#34 2 years ago

Wonka shoots like butter and the movie integration is one of the best I have seen!

#35 2 years ago

After a few days with my Willy Wonka,LE it has to be the most beautiful game on the planet,and its one of the most challenging games I have ever played!! Left out lane has special forces that pulls the ball to it. But WOW do you really feel the theme integration while playing, just an absolute blast to play!!! Its a keeper!!!

#36 2 years ago

Wonka!! See how long any of those old BW hits keep your interest in a home environment. They’re fun, but the code just isn’t deep enough long term. Wonka all the way. Also, my new gnr has had zero issues. Zero!

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Wonka!! See how long any of those old BW hits keep your interest in a home environment.

I’ll never sell AFM remake. I’ve seen people with other B/W in their collection for a decade plus.

#38 2 years ago

Wonka is the most fun we've ever had with any pinball machine in our home. The entire family plays it daily. Game is definitely bolted for us. There are so many shots in the game, the code is amazing and I love the RGB leds everywhere.

I also have a CCR LE coming next year. I think the western theme is really cool and I'm buying it because of that. Also, I just want an older style game in the collection and this one checks off all the boxes in what we like in a pinball machine. The code on CCR will be developed further as time goes on so you'll have that to look forward to.

No bad choices here. It would be hard to choose anything but Wonka though, I choose that above any pinball machine. I would put CCR on order and just wait for it then in the mean time get a Wonka because they are readily available through distributors right now but that won't always be the case, they will sell out eventually.

#39 2 years ago

I played a WW on location. Little less than a year old. Down to wood around posts. Damn. Just…damn.

Played a 2014 MMR. Pf had not been cleaned in like, forever, but played well. Loved Wonka film as a kid, but QC made me run from JJP.

CGC all day long ftw.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’ll never sell AFM remake. I’ve seen people with other B/W in their collection for a decade plus.

They are fun games, but the lack of depth for me personally just wouldn’t justify the price of owning them vs a newer title that I’ll never beat. I don’t blame you for enjoying them, as I do too, but IMO I prefer a game that will continue to challenge me for a longer time.

#41 2 years ago

IF you can get a Wonka get it. Great game! CC SE won't even be shipping for 6 months and will be made at MSRP for a long time. Not the same for Wonka.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

They are fun games, but the lack of depth for me personally just wouldn’t justify the price of owning them vs a newer title that I’ll never beat. I don’t blame you for enjoying them, as I do too, but IMO I prefer a game that will continue to challenge me for a longer time.

I think because I'm not a very good player a simple game that I can maybe see the end might be better than a super long game that had 50% back end I won't ever see.

I love TNA just as much as TWD.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think because I'm not a very good player a simple game that I can maybe see the end might be better than a super long game that had 50% back end I won't ever see.
I love TNA just as much as TWD.

I totally get that. It’s good to have a nice mix. I would like a Monsterbash, but considering today’s prices, I need games that will challenge me long enough. TNA is awesome btw and very fun

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I totally get that. It’s good to have a nice mix. I would like a Monsterbash, but considering today’s prices, I need games that will challenge me long enough. TNA is awesome btw and very fun

Keep in mind Lyman will be expanding the code so that should help a lot. That's why I jumped onboard the Cactus Canyon train.

#45 2 years ago

Make a decision yet!? Can’t go wrong really.

#46 2 years ago

You can go wrong. You can buy a jjp and get a crap playfield and ZERO support.

Cgc is Churchill cabinets. They made w/b cabs and they screen playfields. Best manufacturer vs worst.

Plus ccr will be an awesome game!

#47 2 years ago

Thanks again to all who have chimed in. It's still a tough call for me personally... especially since I'm still nervous with the JJP playfield issues (knowing my luck I would get a "bad egg"). As I mentioned, I have the CCr SE on order so that's locked in. Everything I have heard about the build quality of the CGC remakes is all good news and for me that goes a long way when we're talking about a high dollar "toy." As to JJP, I have no firsthand experience with their pins good or bad... just second-hand news which probably has some truth to it. For me, I feel strongly that if I'm forking over $11K the pin ought to be as near perfect and indestructible as possible; built to withstand the rigors of commercial use such that plinking in a home environment shouldn't phase it. I don't get that feeling with JJP--but again, unfortunately it's just from others' reports. I'll keep mulling it over knowing that while the WW's are there now that probably won't be the case in 3 months (maybe less) once the stock of this final run gets exhausted...

#48 2 years ago

No contest………Wonka.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I played a WW on location. Little less than a year old. Down to wood around posts. Damn. Just…damn.
Played a 2014 MMR. Pf had not been cleaned in like, forever, but played well. Loved Wonka film as a kid, but QC made me run from JJP.
CGC all day long ftw.

Down to the wood? Take a picture and post that for all to see.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

Thanks again to all who have chimed in. It's still a tough call for me personally... especially since I'm still nervous with the JJP playfield issues (knowing my luck I would get a "bad egg"). As I mentioned, I have the CCr SE on order so that's locked in. Everything I have heard about the build quality of the CGC remakes is all good news and for me that goes a long way when we're talking about a high dollar "toy." As to JJP, I have no firsthand experience with their pins good or bad... just second-hand news which probably has some truth to it. For me, I feel strongly that if I'm forking over $11K the pin ought to be as near perfect and indestructible as possible; built to withstand the rigors of commercial use such that plinking in a home environment shouldn't phase it. I don't get that feeling with JJP--but again, unfortunately it's just from others' reports. I'll keep mulling it over knowing that while the WW's are there now that probably won't be the case in 3 months (maybe less) once the stock of this final run gets exhausted...

How about a little input from people who have one of the newer run Wonka's.I've had my SE for almost two years and it's perfect.And I will post pics.And the customer service from Lloyd and the rest of the crew has been great

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New York City, NY
$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

10,500 (OBO)
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

9,550 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Seattle, WA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Victoria, BC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.