IMG_0267 (resized).JPG
IMG_0266 (resized).JPG
IMG_0261 (resized).JPG
20230828_205646_resized (resized).jpg
20230828_205656_resized (resized).jpg
20230828_205633_resized (resized).jpg
20230828_205601_resized (resized).jpg
20230828_205611_resized (resized).jpg
There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 2 years ago

This thread is for discussion on modifications for Chicago Gaming Company’s Cactus Canyon remake.

Modders - what do you have?

CCr owners - what would you like to see?

I will update the Cactus Canyon Modifications FAQ section in the club thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-club-new-sheriffs-in-town

as mods become available (and may move that section here as space may require)

#2 2 years ago

Mezel mods has the Trick Shot Train Station under development

E10D2958-6F16-4A05-82FA-E6E5EAEFC318 (resized).jpegE10D2958-6F16-4A05-82FA-E6E5EAEFC318 (resized).jpeg8D73A334-7EF0-48B1-ABFE-E87C5F8F18B4 (resized).jpeg8D73A334-7EF0-48B1-ABFE-E87C5F8F18B4 (resized).jpeg

#3 2 years ago

A pic with and without the station from the same perspective would be useful, it looks great but maybe a little over bearing

#4 2 years ago

Looks great!
Also, thanks for making the thread!

Richard

#5 2 years ago

I’m thinking it might look better with the side windows much smaller and/or something else there.

Also not sure about the sign on the roof.

#6 2 years ago

Something smaller in the style of the original plastics on the train station would be great

#7 2 years ago

cant wait to see what the modders come up with

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’m thinking it might look better with the side windows much smaller and/or something else there.
Also not sure about the sign on the roof.

“B&W Station” for BallyWilliams or LFS on roof or side and ticket window on the side in place of windows.

#9 2 years ago

And whatever is done, something to match colorwise at the other end of the tracks

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

And whatever is done, something to match colorwise at the other end of the tracks

I do know that was in plan.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from 2pupPinz:

“B&W Station” for BallyWilliams or LFS on roof or side and ticket window on the side in place of windows.

How about “Long Field Station”? or some other word play with LFS. I couldn’t think of a good western word starting with F.

Personally I would like a station name to be something that fits better than “Trick Shot Station” and that pays homage to Bally/Williams. B&W Station, Ballyhoo Station, the LFS idea, Coriale Station, etc.

Doesn’t need to say train station since that’s a given and you probably don’t want a lot of words

#12 2 years ago

That mezel train station is too deep, it kinda gets in the way of Bart at least imo.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

That mezel train station is too deep, it kinda gets in the way of Bart at least imo.

It probably has to be deep now since they are using a direct drive motor to power the train. It sticks a lot farther out now than the old version with gears.

ccr train motor (resized).pngccr train motor (resized).png
#14 2 years ago

This is the original Cactus Canyon. You can see with the gear setup it doesn't stick out as far.

original Cactus Canyon (resized).pngoriginal Cactus Canyon (resized).png
#15 2 years ago

We may have a guest here tonight.

Put on your thinking caps pardners.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

A pic with and without the station from the same perspective would be useful, it looks great but maybe a little over bearing

It's totally overbearing and looks out of place, especially with the Bart head right next to it.

If scale doesn't matter, you could find better models modifying existing train set scenery. This is only $15.

trnzdasec2 (resized).jpgtrnzdasec2 (resized).jpg

#17 2 years ago

Bricks would look nice but it’s certainly not as simple as using an existing model kit. This absolutely needs a custom design.

Right now I’m not sure about the scale of windows (and the red) on the side and any changes to reduce the footprint would be good. However I think it’s a tough ask to scale it so Bart’s head doesn’t look huge. It’s simple a matter of how big it needs to be to hide the drive gear.

I’d like the sign on the roof dropped. It’s out of place and the name is a nod to the playfield shot and not something that would exist in the “Cactus Canyon world under glass” especially how important that is to some and why CGC made sure new art would “fit” properly.

I’d like to see the building fade into the background, especially with a matching building for the left side. The player’s focus should be on Bart or the train, not the building. A building with red and green Christmas colors is not something I’d be excited to see on my game.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Bricks would look nice but it’s certainly not as simple as using an existing model kit. This absolutely needs a custom design.
Right now I’m not sure about the scale of windows (and the red) on the side and any changes to reduce the footprint would be good. However I think it’s a tough ask to scale it so Bart’s head doesn’t look huge. It’s simple a matter of how big it needs to be to hide the drive gear.
I’d like the sign on the roof dropped. It’s out of place and the name is a nod to the playfield shot and not something that would exist in the “Cactus Canyon world under glass” especially how important that is to some and why CGC made sure new art would “fit” properly.
I’d like to see the building fade into the background, especially with a matching building for the left side. The player’s focus should be on Bart or the train, not the building. A building with red and green Christmas colors is not something I’d be excited to see on my game.

In my opinion, the drive gear looks better than looking at that mod.

#19 2 years ago

A building that doesn’t look so new and pristine might allow it to fit in the background more.

Really hope someone can make some sort of swinging saloon doors, those would be such a visual focus that you probably wouldn’t need to even cover the motor because your eyes would be fixed on the saloon doors/movement.

#20 2 years ago

Ok so here's my idea for a mod... with MS Paint to do a horrible job at illustrating my thoughts.

The left side could use something as the right side is busy with Bart and the train (and potential future saloon doors). The back left corner is open and could use something to fill it out.

I was looking at the pops area and there's a flat plastic above the left pop that says Cactus Canyon and it would be easy enough to make a 3D sign mod there.

But you have a desert in the pops, a river/waterfall ramp in no man's land, and the mine all by itself. I wondered if an extension of the mine would tie it all together more like Whitewater.

I'm imagining something like Thunder Mountain at Disney where it's low rock work (so it doesn't block the view to the top rollovers... no one sees the ball in the pops anyways so that can be partially obstructed) with 1 or 2 high peaks, one of which would be on the left wall behind the left ramp flasher.

Now the waterfall looks a lot more tied in, while the desert behind also off in the distance behind the mountains. This would have to be molded to match the mine. 3D printing would look like butt. Is this a good idea and could someone make it?

A+ depictment (resized).pngA+ depictment (resized).png

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Thanks for the feedback, we should be posting new stuff soon. We will do our best to meet everyone’s needs.

#22 2 years ago

The motor is ugly for sure and the area looks unfinished. I think something that is half the height would look much less over-bearing. I'd say don't worry about hiding the spotlight and focus on a lower profile (height) solution. Could be as simple as a matching flat plastic for the left side of the motor. Maybe try to make the area blend in more instead of stand out. Bart should be the focal point.

Hopefully this comes across as constructive, that's my intent!

1 week later
#23 1 year ago

Train station update

6C8B5581-4F21-4401-9657-636ED4956E70 (resized).jpeg6C8B5581-4F21-4401-9657-636ED4956E70 (resized).jpegBD7B7A92-2F15-45F0-A18B-5FA03043B95B (resized).jpegBD7B7A92-2F15-45F0-A18B-5FA03043B95B (resized).jpeg
#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Train station update[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice!

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Train station update[quoted image][quoted image]

So much better.

#26 1 year ago

The lamp is a nice touch!

Any chance you will offer this as an option without the ticket window and door on the side? Just thinking it might help that side attract less attention from the eye.

#27 1 year ago

More pics of the train station from players perspective

IMG_3906 (resized).jpgIMG_3906 (resized).jpgIMG_3907 (resized).jpgIMG_3907 (resized).jpg
#28 1 year ago

I like the improvements, especially the light on the side.

Would really like to see a different station name than “Trick Shot”. I don’t think Lyman would have considered that appropriate. He was very particular about what was depicted in the Cactus Canyon world under glass. No real train station would actually be labeled “Train Station” (and don’t the train and tracks make it obvious?).

A name that may have actually “existed” in Cactus Canyon would be SO much better. I would pay extra for such an option. “B&W Station” would fit and remove the need for other lettering, possibly reducing the size of the sign.

As much as I want this mod, I just don’t think I can put “Trick Shot Train Station” on my game. Every time I saw it I would think “Lyman wouldn’t approve”

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

More pics of the train station from players perspective[quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice job improving the perspective!

Hmm … no train. Wonder what that means?

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I like the improvements, especially the light on the side.
Would really like to see a different station name than “Trick Shot”. I don’t think Lyman would have considered that appropriate. He was very particular about what was depicted in the Cactus Canyon world under glass. No real train station would actually be labeled “Train Station” (and don’t the train and tracks make it obvious?).
A name that may have actually “existed” in Cactus Canyon would be SO much better. I would pay extra for such an option. “B&W Station” would fit and remove the need for other lettering, possibly reducing the size of the sign.
As much as I want this mod, I just don’t think I can put “Trick Shot Train Station” on my game. Every time I saw it I would think “Lyman wouldn’t approve”

Should call it F.Sheets Station

And make a sign for the mine Lyman’s Mine

In fact every mod for this game should have a Lyman Easter egg in celebration of it being the last game he worked on before his untimely passing.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Should call it F.Sheets Station
And make a sign for the mine Lyman’s Mine
In fact every mod for this game should have a Lyman Easter egg in celebration of it being the last game he worked on before his untimely passing.

I can understand not using references to Lyman for fears it may be seen on profiteering on his name. My original thought was something like “Last Frontier Station” or something using LFS but I can see how even that may be considered an concern by some.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I can understand not using references to Lyman for fears it may be seen on profiteering on his name. My original thought was something like “Last Frontier Station” or something using LFS but I can see how even that may be considered an concern by some.

Good points it is almost too easy to offend some people these days, I know my sentiment for having Lyman Easter eggs in the game is purely out of paying respect to the legend himself, but totally get your point how some may pick fault with it.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Good points it is almost too easy to offend some people these days, I know my sentiment for having Lyman Easter eggs in the game is purely out of paying respect to the legend himself, but totally get your point how some may pick fault with it.

Well, when you get your game, look carefully. There is at least one very subtle tribute to Lyman on the playfield.

#34 1 year ago

following.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

More pics of the train station from players perspective[quoted image][quoted image]

Looking good!

#36 1 year ago

Functioning saloon doors is the only mod I need after shaker and non reflective glass.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Functioning saloon doors is the only mod I need.

What do you consider “functioning” and how would you make them work?

#38 1 year ago

A couple folks reached out to me to see if I was doing my Start Buttons or Coin Reject Buttons for this game. I don't think I'll be doing a Start button -- on older (style) games, with smaller, recessed start buttons, my replacement start buttons cover up the counterbore and step you up to a larger modern size button. However, since there's artwork specifically placed around the counterbore, I don't want to cover any of that up. I might eventually try one just to see how it looks (might be fine after all) but not yet.

In the meantime though I just had some fun with the coin reject buttons! I love the cactus on the side of the backbox wearing a sheriff badge, that just cracked me up -- so I decided to use that for inspiration, see below.

Link to shop listing: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1282-rocket-city-pinball/06821-3d-coin-reject-buttons-cactus-canyon-original-or-remake

CactCanCoins1 (resized).jpgCactCanCoins1 (resized).jpg

#39 1 year ago

Nice. Which color do you think fits best? Red? Orange? Tangerine?

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Nice. Which color do you think fits best? Red? Orange? Tangerine?

Initially I was thinking orange but the cabinet had a lot more red on the front face. Looking again, light blue would also pop (I forgot to include that color option, will add) with the light blue along the bottom edge. Yellow would also tie in nicely with the start button and text. Or even green with the lizard!

Cant really go wrong here. The more I look at it, the more I think yellow or light blue would look best.

Screenshot_20220506-082241_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220506-082241_Chrome (resized).jpg
#41 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

In my opinion, the drive gear looks better than looking at that mod.

I think the artistry is great, but it’s far too high - maybe a simple plastic cover might be best because anything substantial there blocks the view to Bart. Function over form maybe?

3 weeks later
#42 1 year ago

Train Stop

20220407_095840 (resized).jpg20220407_095840 (resized).jpgtrain-stop (resized).jpgtrain-stop (resized).jpg
#43 1 year ago

Train track

train-tracks+beer (resized).jpgtrain-tracks+beer (resized).jpgtrain-tracks-1 (resized).jpgtrain-tracks-1 (resized).jpg
#44 1 year ago

Bullet nut covers

Bullets-left (resized).PNGBullets-left (resized).PNGbullets-right (resized).PNGbullets-right (resized).PNG
#45 1 year ago

Moonshine dome cover

Moonshine-close (resized).PNGMoonshine-close (resized).PNG
#46 1 year ago

Larger than life beer mug replacement with illumination

beer-close-up1 (resized).PNGbeer-close-up1 (resized).PNG
#47 1 year ago

Nice!

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

[quoted image]

All cool stuff! But the big Beer is my fav!

Thanks!

Richard

#49 1 year ago

I want a dancing cactus that moves with multi-ball!

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

[quoted image]

Is that expanding foam on the head of the beer?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Trade
$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 102 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-mod-thread- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.