(Topic ID: 310125)

Cactus Canyon Remake Club - New Sheriffs in Town! (with FAQs)

By jfh

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,417 posts
  • 756 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 384 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which version have you ordered and/or received?”

• Limited Edition [LE] 333 votes
    51%
  • Special Edition with Wild West topper [SE+] 103 votes
    16%
  • Special Edition [SE] 218 votes
    33%

(654 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2145 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2139 (resized).jpeg
20240415_145651 (resized).jpg
IMG_5053 (resized).jpg
IMG_5068 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240408_083646_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_031213_Drive (resized).jpg
AE50EDD5-0A2D-4824-883B-9B097D38C6FF (resized).jpeg
86B25964-BA83-413E-9949-4511DE3D5375 (resized).jpeg
Reward issue switches (resized).jpg
shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif
Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1816 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240324-141652 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Cactus Canyon Remake FAQ (Part 1) Game Information Posted by jfh (2 years ago)

Post #836 Demonstration videos of Topper Shootout mode Posted by jfh (2 years ago)

Post #3286 Leg crimp fix Posted by PM_Jeremy (1 year ago)

Post #9030 Trough fix Posted by PM_Jeremy (1 year ago)

Post #9386 John Youssi’s initial idea sketch for the playfield art Posted by jtaudio (1 year ago)

Post #9938 Game play stream of LE with topper (dedicated topper cam) Posted by joelbob (1 year ago)

Post #10737 Sensor Trouble shooting guide Posted by jfh (1 year ago)

Post #11888 Adjusting inlane guides to minimize ball hop Posted by alveolus (12 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3917 1 year ago

Longtime Stern fanboy and topper skeptic here. I just cancelled my Godzilla Premium order, and put down $1000 toward a CCSE+. Why did I break character for this game? Well, I just read the last 30 days of posts here (LegsLegsLegs), and I saw no complaints about playfield quality, or protectors getting hammered. Instead I see some minor/fixable switch issues and an ocean of leg posts. I speed-read those after the first 50.

I read the FAQ (all of it!) and I see that CGC is direct-silkscreening their playfields!! It just got better and better the more I read. And as much as I love Stern, their new playfield process is a big turn-off. I don’t know what they changed, but it’s no bueno. I’ve played Godzilla and CC side-by-side, and CC just kept pulling me back in. And 2 close friends just bought Godzilla, while nobody in our circle of friends has CC yet.

Okay, so why the topper? Well, just look at it. It’s beautifully sculpted, interactive, probably a bit overpriced but I couldn’t persuade myself to just get the SE.

I’ll order the Mantis leg protectors now, and hope for an early Christmas from CGC and ClassicGameRooms.

#3929 1 year ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

This was supposed to be my game off due to quality precautions. For the record I got hit with the full house. Missing power cord crimped legs, damaged decals and a chipped playfied. All in 37 plays as my game sits awaiting new legs that don't seem to be coming i know perception is reality but I assure you the Titanic can sink.

It does seem like you got a run of bad luck. I haven’t seen any other posts here about chipped clear (we get those all the time in the Stern threads, which I think is why they went to a much thinner clearcoat).

#3947 1 year ago
Quoted from MooButt:

Jason at Classic Game Rooms is fantastic.

Yeah he’s a good dude, and has an actual warehouse unlike a lot of other distros. I bought my Stranger Things from him, great experience all around.

#4019 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

It’s a $10,000 product. You get more updates when you back something cheap on kickstarter. I’m not concerned that I won’t get a game, I’m thinking that there has to be a better way for CGC to work through this for their benefit too.

It makes sense to me. Look at all the second-guessing here from people without any information. Now imagine how much “coaching” they would get from guys like flynnibus here if they shared the intimate details of their operations. I think they’re being smart.

#4026 1 year ago

I have to admit, the wait will be easier for me because I only ordered my SE+ a few days ago. I do feel for the folks who ordered in 2021. And my buddy has a CCr on location, so I have one I can play while I wait.

#4058 1 year ago
Quoted from polishedball:

Curious of peoples thoughts, I know some are just No-Mod, but what is your opinion on if this would tastefully fit if your alright with mods, if I painted it up to match a character. Just trying to decide if I want to put the time in on the paint job.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Late response here from a newcomer. @polishedball, I think this sculpt looks awesome. Is this something you’d be willing to sell, either via mail or on ThingiVerse? I can have my artist friend paint it for me.

BTW I drank a beer that size (32 ounces) last night.
5E67292B-16AD-4964-A1EE-0E8B8F483605 (resized).jpeg5E67292B-16AD-4964-A1EE-0E8B8F483605 (resized).jpeg

#4060 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I think that figure was something he found, not created.

I’ll be on the hunt for it then. It’s perfect for that spot IMHO

#4098 1 year ago
90C0DDB5-F63D-459C-91C3-031653D9D899 (resized).jpeg90C0DDB5-F63D-459C-91C3-031653D9D899 (resized).jpeg
#4099 1 year ago

In non-leg news, I played a ton of Cactus Canyon last night at My Parent’s Basement in Decatur (thx @atlpb). I’m even more convinced that I made the right decision switching from Godzilla to CC SE+. The quality is just so good, and I think even my 82-year-old dad would enjoy it (he won’t play anything made after 1979 when he comes over). I’m going to put RFM and CC next to each other in the gameroom so I can tell the story of how everyone was pulled off of CC to go work on “the future of pinball”, RFM. It’s one of the greatest stories in pinball.

#4105 1 year ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

the CCr will fit nicely to the left of Godzilla.

Looking forward to your friends and family’s reaction to both of these games. They’re both instant classics.

#4108 1 year ago

One thing I haven’t seen discussed much here is the hardware platform. I know CGC completely redid the operating system for CC, which is awesome. Is the hardware in-house, or PROC? Is it a CANBUS architecture, like Stern? Or something a little less distributed? Pardon me for nerding out.

Edit: the FAQ tells all. Control logic and power in the backbox, coils and LEDs under the playfield. So more of a classic pinball hardware architecture.
596633A0-1E98-40DD-9B76-C56E8DA72502 (resized).jpeg596633A0-1E98-40DD-9B76-C56E8DA72502 (resized).jpeg

#4169 1 year ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

Yes about 3 or 4 weeks ago a reply said just so you know we are looking into the situation. If I had to bet it's more the big picture logistics like you and LTG are suggesting and a more universal 1 size fits all but in the meantime I didn't need world hunger solved I just wanted a good set of legs.

Aren’t they just standard chrome legs? If you can’t spread the ones you got from CGC, try here:

https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=Legs

#4170 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Best part of pinball for me is playing with family.

My 24-year-old doesn’t play any more, and my young nephews moved to Dallas TX. I definitely miss playing with family.

#4174 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

If it's a quick fix within my means, I'm on it like stink on a monkey.

Me too, I’m like a pinball Bob the Builder. Can we fix it? Yes we can!

#4293 1 year ago

Lloyd, should I worry about this rash?

2 weeks later
#4639 1 year ago

Wish we could have these subtopics on every Club topic:

- I have my game
- I don’t have my game

I’d love to hear more from the first group.

#4674 1 year ago

Toys don’t have an $8k+ price tag.

#4702 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

just because CGC eventually shipped games doesn't mean they were 'right all along' and people upset with the situation were wrong.
It just means CGC didn't fail to deliver a game.
Remember that.

You’re seriously sounding like a broken record on this. But you’re not the only one.

2 weeks later
#5086 1 year ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

It’s a very addicting game that is super well executed, there’s a lot here to keep you playing and it doesn’t seem to stale or feel too repetitive because of the variety.

There’s a reason this game sold for $15k and up even a decade ago.

2 weeks later
#5326 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

If it went to the engineers. That is where it is. Working on replicating it. Or figuring out a permanent cure. I'm sorry for the delays, some of this takes time.
LTG : )

Speaking as an engineer, the intermittent problems are the hardest ones to solve. If it were me, I’d be trying to get my hands on an audio board that has the problem.

1 week later
#5433 1 year ago
Quoted from wesh:

I sold my GZ Premium and picked up a CCR for my office while I am waiting on my +with the topper. I would say for fun of play and just casual playing this is by far a better game. Simple to follow, good callouts, just a fun casual game that everyone can enjoy.

Hey Wes! I made the same decision, canceled my GZ Pre order and put a deposit down on a CCR+. It’ll be worth the wait, I’m sure.

#5474 1 year ago

I have a $1k deposit with my local distributor for an SE+, but he has SEs in stock now. I’m seriously thinking of converting my order, if he allows it. I’d just be missing the topper and the modes related to it, right?

#5599 1 year ago

I just rolled my new CCSE into the basement, but I can’t play it because the legs aren’t anywhere near 90 degrees. How are you guys bending these? Mine won’t budge.

#5606 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I just rolled my new CCSE into the basement, but I can’t play it because the legs aren’t anywhere near 90 degrees. How are you guys bending these? Mine won’t budge.

Never mind, I just noticed that mine has the really beefy cabinet protectors. Even with the legs bolted on tight, they all pass the credit card test. Now if only I could find the backbox key - it’s not on the coin mech hooks or in the coin box. Small problem for now.

#5608 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Now if only I could find the backbox key - it’s not on the coin mech hooks or in the coin box. Small problem for now.

Found them in the back of the cab - guess they fell off.

Man, I love this game. The playfield clearcoat is awesome, the way all new pins should be! I’m very happy with my decision to ditch my Godzilla order for CC.

978679CE-7A13-486B-95A4-A4AC47BF9756 (resized).jpeg978679CE-7A13-486B-95A4-A4AC47BF9756 (resized).jpeg22E102E3-77D6-4C02-B354-36A05034BAAD (resized).jpeg22E102E3-77D6-4C02-B354-36A05034BAAD (resized).jpegBFE6EA5C-FC6F-467A-919F-1B3EE19F91F0 (resized).jpegBFE6EA5C-FC6F-467A-919F-1B3EE19F91F0 (resized).jpeg
#5626 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

What is your serial # and build date?

Aug 5, 2022
CC-2067

Game plays like a dream. I’ve bricked the drops a few times, but that’s to be expected. I need to aim slightly off-center.

#5627 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

Are the new cab protectors pre installed or separate ?

Pre-installed. They’re much thicker than the metal ones I bought a few years back.

#5643 1 year ago

Sorry if this has been posted before, but here’s a comparison of the original and remake apron/pistols. The CGC artists are excellent! And of course the bad guy is also 500% better. I’ll also use this post to thank CGC for making this the first game that was perfect out of the box for me - I haven’t had to adjust anything, not a single switch. You guys rock!

30C9A5D9-C1D4-43E8-AA8A-2048EE6C5D75 (resized).jpeg30C9A5D9-C1D4-43E8-AA8A-2048EE6C5D75 (resized).jpeg35F2DD50-75A6-4DEE-B34C-97B6C2A8053E (resized).jpeg35F2DD50-75A6-4DEE-B34C-97B6C2A8053E (resized).jpeg
#5689 1 year ago

The most satisfying shot in this game: when the ball comes back down the left orbit, let it bounce off the left flipper and hit it on the fly with the right. About half the time it’ll go up the right orbit and come zinging back to the right flipper. Pure pinball genius.

#5717 1 year ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

Geez your making all us Aussies so jealous as we still don't have any. Can't wait to get it and enjoy, sounds awesome.

I’m looking forward to everyone getting their games, so we can talk about something other than toppers

#5718 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

...SE+ depositor slowly reconsidering everything

Yeah, that’s the math that made me very happy with the SE.

1 week later
#5813 1 year ago
Quoted from JoeHog:

Just be glad your money is not in the stock market.

I was thinking the same thing. And like I always like to remind my wife, it’s the total cost of ownership that counts. If pinflation keeps going, it will be hard to lose $ with this game as long as you don’t mind holding it for a few years. I think this one will be sought after when production ends.

#5817 1 year ago

I’m usually not a fan of color GI, but it’s used very tastefully and sparingly in CC. I’ve gotten used to it being a little dimmer during Bionic Bart when the GI goes red. It’s not really a problem and definitely makes the game more fun.

#5879 1 year ago

Just wanted to add to this part of the FAQ:

“… Adjust the pops and/or the Bottom Jet Bumper (i.e a sling) with a leaf tool. (To adjust the bottom bumper from the top of the playfield you may have to remove the mine and VUK diverter).”

There are 2 switches for this slingshot, both register as switch 55 (5-5) when closed. From the factory, both of mine were closed. But instead of removing stuff from the top of the playfield, I removed the balls and did the adjustments from UNDER the playfield. In addition to the leaf tool, you’ll want your reading glasses and a good flashlight. But it’s not hard at all, doing it this way. Switch 55 should register open when it’s not active.

[EDIT:] PM_Jeremy made a nice video of this, starting at 1:30 here:

#5882 1 year ago

By the way, your FAQ rocks @jfh. I’ve referred back to it several times.

#5884 1 year ago

I think the rules for CC are great, but one gripe I have is scoring balance. There’s very little reward for completing the modes, other than the extra ball for completing the Railroad mode. Conversely, the points for Bionic Bart are enormous, and you can stack it with Gold Mine Multiball. That puts a lot of weight on just shooting Bart over and over, which isn’t all that fun to me (the characters and callouts are a little repetitive in a home environment).

If I’m just playing for fun, I always go for modes first, because Stampede is just so much fun. I pick off Bart, Bubba and Bandolero about every 4th shot. But for a league or tournament, I’m hitting the bad guy every chance I get. Bionic Bart is just too lucrative to not do that.

#5890 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

In a home scenario, I personally find it more fun to set your own different objectives before each game versus always just trying to get the highest score possible.

I agree with that. I’m usually trying for High Noon, so that forces me to “play balanced” even if that’s not best for scoring.

#5913 1 year ago

I’ve hit the part of the curve where the newness has worn off, and I can have an objective opinion of this game. It has more depth than about half the games I own, and I’m really starting to enjoy a casual game once or twice a day, even though I’ve pretty much seen everything. I’m starting to get an appreciation for how much value there is here. The mechs and sculpts are well into Stern Premium territory, but the game is $1700 less and the quality is better. It’s just a beautiful game that makes me happy every time I walk up to it. The speaker lights, the audio, everything is just top notch.

#5915 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I'm not sure the audio is top notch, that was the only thing I didn't like on the se we had. Hoping it's better on the le. I have been talking with Dan at pinwoofer about a kit for cgc games, others might want to reach out as well.

It has the same Goldwood speaker that I’ve upgraded most of my Sterns to. I’m getting to an age where half of my hearing range is gone, so I think PinWoofer would be wasted on me. That’s one of the perks of getting old: I don’t need 4k video or super high fidelity audio.

#5935 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballer31520:

Might buy a special - so tired of the LE waiting
Just so stupid

I don’t regret changing my order from SE+ to SE at all. But if I had an LE queued up I’d probably wait.

#5999 1 year ago
Quoted from ClassicHornet:

When I’ve finished modding my CCr [quoted image]

Exactly…Anything we add detracts from the awesome work done on the apron (guns), the bad guy, the gold mine and the train. All IMHO of course. I can see adding buildings at either side of the track to hide the mech, and the RR tracks themselves. But there’s such a thing as too much.

#6166 1 year ago

My local distributor, Classic Gamerooms, was awesome. He had no problem switching my SE+ order to an SE. The SE is a fantastic game. I seriously doubt that on my deathbed, I’ll say “wish I’d waited for that topper”. Ya’ll need perspective.

#6173 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

I don't know IP law, so you may be right.
To me, it does look like a blatant copy. Don't get me wrong. I think your topper does look really good.
I just think you're being dishonest if you're saying you didn't look at what CGC did and copy it in someway. From the matching belt buckle to the exact same facial hair and lip snarl to him bursting out of his shirt. There are way too many coincidences for all those things to have happened by chance.[quoted image][quoted image]

Well, I’ll say what’s everyone is thinking: it’s an embarrassingly bad copy. If you care that much about the topper, wait for the real one to come out. IDGAF about the topper now, so I have no skin in the game. CC is a great pin!

#6185 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

There’s is much better looking with more detail as professional artists designed it and more importantly it’s interactive to the game, but to say embarrassingly bad I would love to see what you come up with.

Sorry for my opinion. I’m not an artist, so no custom topper for me.

#6235 1 year ago

Sorry to sound dumb, but has the MSRP gone up in the past year for this game? I thought the SE has always been $8k.

#6258 1 year ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

There is a black zip tie holding the train to the tracks to prevent damage during shipping. Double check it has been removed.

Yes, that was my problem.

#6419 1 year ago

flynnibus there’s a lot of speculation in your longer post above. Why not stick to what we know, and not make things up?

#6427 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm not speculating anything.

Is this you?:

Quoted from flynnibus:

If you sit around waiting for issue #1... and then finally figure out issue #2 is also a problem 4 months later because you did nothing while waiting for issue #1... then yes you are open to criticism for single-tracking and not being ready.

4 months later
#11245 1 year ago
Quoted from Scoot:

Potential new owner here. I would love to spend the day reading hundreds of pages of posts about the game but I just don't have the time. Could someone kindly fill me in with out of the box issues (SE version) that I may face? Thank you so much.

There’s a slingshot-type kicker just under the pop bumpers. You’ll want to tweak it for more action up there. I took out my plunger spring and stretched it to make it stronger (I think LTG gave that tip). Other than that, it’s solid and trouble-free.

OH, and don’t forget to cut off the zip tie holding the train in position. I made that mistake.

#11300 1 year ago

EDIT: pics are in the FAQ

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mantua Township, NJ
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Blue Bell, PA
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 210.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-club-new-sheriffs-in-town?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.