(Topic ID: 310125)

Cactus Canyon Remake Club - New Sheriffs in Town! (with FAQs)

By jfh

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,405 posts
  • 755 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by Fireball3
  • Topic is favorited by 384 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which version have you ordered and/or received?”

• Limited Edition [LE] 333 votes
    51%
  • Special Edition with Wild West topper [SE+] 103 votes
    16%
  • Special Edition [SE] 217 votes
    33%

(653 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240415_145651 (resized).jpg
IMG_5053 (resized).jpg
IMG_5068 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240408_083646_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_031213_Drive (resized).jpg
AE50EDD5-0A2D-4824-883B-9B097D38C6FF (resized).jpeg
86B25964-BA83-413E-9949-4511DE3D5375 (resized).jpeg
Reward issue switches (resized).jpg
shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif
Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1816 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240324-141652 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240308_213009_Chrome (resized).jpg
EC303592-D7CC-41EA-874F-1A7CEE1ECEA6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0547 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Cactus Canyon Remake FAQ (Part 1) Game Information Posted by jfh (2 years ago)

Post #836 Demonstration videos of Topper Shootout mode Posted by jfh (2 years ago)

Post #3286 Leg crimp fix Posted by PM_Jeremy (1 year ago)

Post #9030 Trough fix Posted by PM_Jeremy (1 year ago)

Post #9386 John Youssi’s initial idea sketch for the playfield art Posted by jtaudio (1 year ago)

Post #9938 Game play stream of LE with topper (dedicated topper cam) Posted by joelbob (1 year ago)

Post #10737 Sensor Trouble shooting guide Posted by jfh (1 year ago)

Post #11888 Adjusting inlane guides to minimize ball hop Posted by alveolus (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#259 2 years ago
Quoted from polishedball:

Curious if this source has actually played parts of the Lyman code or just making an assumption?

this is just people optimistic about what the new extended version will bring. Note the 'can bring'

#265 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

I think it's a bit more than that now, with Josh speaking about the code in several podcasts. It's obviously a much deeper game with Lyman's code

I find it hard to claim any of it is 'obviously' anything given we know nothing but 10k foot views about it. But the poster was asking if the commentator had some insider access.. that wasn't inferred in the quote.

#268 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

You misread the quote - it’s not “can bring” — it’s “what Lyman will bring”.,

Yet you confirm " other than to say the author of the opinion has not played the Lyman code."

I didn't misread anything. The part I cited was to clarify the future tense of the code, not to suggest it was already in place (as played).. which you also confirmed, they hadn't played it. The line about what Lyman 'will bring' is just another forward looking statement that isn't the author's actual play experience.. which is what the actual question was about.

I really don't care what people want to project the future product to be - until we know what it is, it's still largely clouded with projection and hope. I am sure they will release a great product... but you're not going to find me writing reviews of it yet

#323 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

. Can’t see any good reason for CGC to do this.

Besides good will for the radio silence and months of delays?

My garage door openers shipped with IOU cards unexpectedly due to parts shortages- but it kept them shipping and my door works

#334 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Yeah, but your garage door doesn’t have a kickass topper.

Im also not on the website asking when my door opener will ship

#387 2 years ago

looks like I'll have some unboxing insight tomorrow

#423 2 years ago

their priority is physically getting games produced not really re-calculating the timeframe as things change daily due to various hurdles, supply chain issues, weather, covid, etc. Also having to then stop and give constant time frames out as again things change daily, only delay them more……so while updates are nice, please be patient and know things are moving)

Lol such excuses.

This projection and tracking of resources is literally what the production managers do to ensure they have the parts and sequencing in harmony so they don’t end up in a starvation or out of order situation. They don’t just ‘work on what is there that day’ or whatever.

Sure they may not have confidence in a time when some issue comes up but don’t make up stories like they are putting down tools to try to make up new estimates. Comical.

#445 2 years ago

Its here!

Pretty standard setup.

Nice thick box from CGC
Spiral bound manual, spare sling plastics, fuses, spiral bound manual. And yes there is a keyfob plastic

045FE12D-75D3-4AD8-B44B-192B5952532C (resized).jpeg045FE12D-75D3-4AD8-B44B-192B5952532C (resized).jpeg2668E831-C727-44B6-B9E0-6708C16AF883 (resized).jpeg2668E831-C727-44B6-B9E0-6708C16AF883 (resized).jpeg4E781C26-3419-43C8-B0E1-9E769F962610 (resized).jpeg4E781C26-3419-43C8-B0E1-9E769F962610 (resized).jpegE80128C1-FEB7-40B5-BFE6-15787E2FF091 (resized).jpegE80128C1-FEB7-40B5-BFE6-15787E2FF091 (resized).jpeg
#446 2 years ago

The manual is truly legit - fold out schematics and all.

No mention of shoot out mode in video display as I thought people were discussing?

#449 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Dude.. Really? The official response is literally 10 posts above yours.

Dude really? I was setting up pins not reading today’s posts

#461 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Wish I had that problem.. Totes jelly.
What else did you set up other than CCr?

Women's tournament this weekend, so games need to be in good shape so all were getting TLC. This week saw Rush Premium and CCR go in, room re-arranged so the lewd mouth'd Big Lewbowski wasn't right next to the kid-friendly Super Mario Bros and CCR can get some line-of-sight... so that was moving 4 games and re-leveling those.. then Rush Pro and AC/DC prem out and getting those ready for sale.

It takes a reasonable amount of time to swap games when you go through all your location steps rather than just putting it up on legs and going like we do at home Never mind trying to avoid all the lookie-lous who want to talk to you constantly while you try to work

The guns in the apron are going to be a real liability with the playfield in the up position. Someone needs to come up with a bumper attachment to the head that will allow the center of the apron to contact the head of the game BEFORE the guns make contact.

Oh, and don't grab that chrome bar in front of the apron... it'll bend in a heart beat.

One kudos to CGC... the tilt bob was centered perfectly right out of the box. No reworking the hoop like you gotta do with every new Stern.

Only generic inserts in the coin reject buttons though :/

#477 2 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I always take a folded up towel and drape it over the front of the backbox before propping up the playfield.

That will stop marring but I don’t think thry should take the weight at all. Nice simple mitigation tho… something i can do easily onsite

#478 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Or just put a black foam strip along the top front of the backbox.

The point is to avoid the contact all together- not just cushion it. Today the guns are the only point of contact and take the weight and contact basically on the corner of the head.

You’d have to put something that covers the corner or protrudes a good bit

#479 2 years ago

I think the foam insulation cut so it fits at the center of the apron is worth trying. Unfortunately that is a tough spot to reach to put up there everytime you gotta lift the playfield. A more perm solution is desirable that won’t fall off and fades away.

#485 2 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

A few more thoughts after playing a couple more games. Extra balls get handed out like candy. Settings will help here. I beat High Noon again today after not playing yesterday. It is a cool mode, but honestly it's pretty easy as is. It's 20 bad guy hits to win and you can hit jackpot shots to increase score. I am thinking more kills for sure via settings. Might be good to have another requirement in there somewhere to compete it. Even require some jackpot hits on addition to the drop target kills would be something.
Bionic Bart is really fun. It also lets you keep going against him after a drain which is cool. Good callouts with the terminator style voice and lines too.

yeah lots of EBs. I normally set a max of 3… but right away i was reconsidering the settings on this one.

I also am reconsidering my slope. I swt it up right at 6.5/6.4… but feels like it could be faster. But shots to the center ramp are the concern… even at 6.5 lots of half ramps were seen.

#488 2 years ago
Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

Do the digital levellers work better than the phone apps? Can you recommend a specific one/brand?
Thanks!
Richard

Phone app is good as long as the calibration is recent. Simple torpedo levels and inclinometer is good. Digital levels are not any more accurate- they are kinda overkill for pins. Keep a simple 8” torpedo level as confidence and use pinguy for most stuff.

Even the more pricey digital levels are still only 0.1 +\- which is as close you normally dial a game for anyway.

#518 2 years ago

So… I thought my interlock bypass switch was wired wrong or broke. Turns out i think it’s just s software thing. The game gives you the high power disabled’ warning even if the interlock is pulled out…. Which is incorrect.

I also had problems with one of the drop targets not latching and staying up reliably.

Could not find anything out of place - it just would easily unlatch with the coil action. I solved by bending the finger tab that pushes the target down slightly so it did not reset the target as much. Slightly reducing how far it pushed the target up.

Unfortunately it looks line the plastic ledges that hold the drop targets up are riveted to thr drop target bracket… which will make replacement was harder

#523 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You have two switches on the coin door frame. Top one is high power interlock, which cuts high power. Lower one is memory protect - which lets the game know the coin door is open.
What is happening on your game is the same thing as every Williams game with those two switches. High power and memory protect.
High power interlock switch only cuts high power, it doesn't tell the game it did.

Thx LTG... has been too long since I had a WPC with physical interlock.. plus in the CGC design the interlock doesn't appear to be a physical break but simply a switch input to the Driver board (which in turn drives the transistors to connect the power) so it's a bit different. I had incorrectly assumed it was CPU reading it, but it's just the gate input to the cut-off circuits so just part of the driver board's circuitry.

Probably got too spoiled with too many modern sterns... their high voltage warning is far less obnoxious

#524 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

I replaced a spring with a softer one on my second from the left target for this very issue. Works properly now.

I found the one target was moving front to back while working the reset coil from latched height to bottoming out the plunger while the other targets moved perfectly up and down w/o front/back movement while the same motion was happening. So the range of movement was different in some minor way for that target. The extra movement was enough it wouldn't latch reliably. The lower spring were my next thought because the target was not staying parallel to the bracket, but don't carry those in my bag and a good bit more disassembly. The extra motion was very peculiar to me as the other targets moved perfectly up and down w/o that extra slop.

1 week later
#761 2 years ago

A++ presentation from Butch.

It's all about his prep, informed, and covering relevant, interesting things. A worthy seminar and so happy it was streamed by TPF.

It really makes people appreciate what went into the game. And very notably, HE SPOKE TO THE CONCERNS PEOPLE HAD... instead of just pretending it didn't exist. Seriously.. if they just told people 'we are making improvements based on what we observed in the show games'... people would have been thrilled!

Kudos Butch. And yes, I noticed the drawings of the topper when I got my game and was blown away by the investment it was. It was clear from the manual how much effort was put in.

Butch and the 'marketing department' did great here!

#829 2 years ago

unfortunately Ryan's defense of using distributors to distribute information 'even in the day of internet' in the Connected Pinball seminar was pretty damn awful. (34min mark - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1437660036) Trying to articulate customers calling distributors, so distributors can call CGC is better... no, the point is you EDUCATE your distributors so they don't have to call you each time. You use distributors so you don't have to staff those functions - not because a multi-level telephone game is a more efficient way to pass notes... smh

Also, when you are in sales (even head of it!) - you don't use not knowing your customers as a reason to say its better to talk to someone else. Even if you think it!

CGC are internet dinosaurs... let's hope that's a front they can see an interest in improving. They still take the angle that information generates more questions.. instead of acknowledging well thought out information actually does help.

#847 2 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Ok. I see it mentioned, but what is this "upgrade kit"?

TBD - It's the 'lyman code' /extended version of the game that will be sold in the future. Expands the original game with new rules/content.

Not to be confuses with what CGC is shipping now - which is the enhanced/polished version of the original WMS game that rounded out the gaps in the original game. This is the remake version shipping with all games.

#873 2 years ago
Quoted from polishedball:

But what do we do when CGC does not give the distributor any details of when to expect there allotment of even SE's? or have you confirmed a release schedule per week/month/or quarter has been given to them?
Has CGC said currently how many SE's are manufactured a week, how many are warehoused waiting for cardboard?

Nope - just sit on your hands

Good news is historically once CGC starts getting games out the door they were pretty good in numbers. So really until your distro gets a heads up to pay for his games, you really have no firm estimates...

1 week later
#1047 2 years ago

not sure of the photo exactly... but mine has a rubber nipple back behind bart. We had one stuck ball early, but it hasn't been problematic.

bart (resized).jpgbart (resized).jpg

#1059 2 years ago
Quoted from sizzler747:

It looks like your machine has a fix to that problem installed on it. You have a metal bracket there that the other machine does not have. I wonder if that was one of the fixes they had to come up with on the line while making them.

Well our game is very early… i’ve had it almost a month now.

#1090 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Maaan; I watched the TPF seminar - those new drops are fantastic. I'm envious.

My one concern is the lip that holds the target up is not servicable Those lips break all the time on Sterns and it's basically the same catch mechanism, but with a cutout in it.. I guess for the drop coil plunger.

It's up in there and riveted vs held with hardware. So it's a unique part and not tool swappable.

#1146 2 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

why bother ordering and patiently waiting when you can just walk in and buy one !
this should fall on CGC fill the prepaid orders and deposits ....

because one person is guaranteed to get a game.. while the other 'might have an opportunity come up...'

CGC doesn't ship based on the order you placed with your distributor.

#1228 2 years ago
Quoted from pch3727:

Anyone know the approximate weight of CCr? I need to get a dolly to move the game upstairs. First time having to move a machine up stairs so not sure how strong a dolly I'll need to get. Thanks.

Pins of the various eras typically range from about 200-300lbs. Just get a normal appliance handcart - like this
https://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-appliance-hand-truck-60520.html

CCr I don't know the exact weight, but it's peers are usually less than 300lbs.

#1378 2 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Is this actually a magnet?
Robert

No, it's an up post.

#1379 2 years ago
Quoted from EWLMONTGOMERY:

Has anyone had problems in Gunfight mode. My Cactus Canyon SE worked flawlessly for about 25 games. Now in Gunfight mode it drops the ball off of pin above flipper in the in lane after ready set but before draw and returns to normal play. Other than this problem Game plays great. Have talked to CGC but slow and frustrating. Anyone else have this problem. Early build #1339 maybe should have waited.

Is a drop target staying up? It's likely the drop target is not staying up and being registered as a hit... thus ending the mode. test your drop targets and see if they stay in the up position. One probably isn't.

#1383 2 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

I had to put a less aggressive spring on one target for this reason.

For our case, which I posted about this earlier... just bending the tab on the reset downward just slightly solved our problem. Target was being pushed so far it would move around too much when reset to up position that it just skipped/bounced over the target lip. It didn't just stay parallel to the bracket after clearly the lip.

#1388 2 years ago
Quoted from EWLMONTGOMERY:

the targets all work fine in every other mode. they also cycle up and down in gunfight mode working fine just when ball is released the game goes back to normal play. The ball is released 2 counts into count down not 4. the up target to shoot at drops away but works in quick draw mode and bad guy.

Do not rely on game play testing - use the diagnostics in the game and cycle the targets to see their consistency.

#1446 2 years ago
Quoted from JoshieB:

What’s up with rapid tac? I’ve never installed art blades before and “easiest way to go” seems right up my alley.

It's a product to wet apply decals. You spray the contact surface of the decal with liberal amounts of rapid tac (or soap+water mix) before placing your decal or art blades. The wet application allows you to reposition the decal w/o it sticking firmly, then when in place, you wipe/squeegee the decal from the center to the edges to push out all the juice/water and leave it to dry and done!

the 'wet method' is more forgiving for placing large decals like art blades or cabinet decals.

#1563 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I suspect at least part of the issue is that the pf cutouts for the drops are much smaller on the Remake than on the original. The hole is basically only just big enough to allow the drop target to push through, and so that doesn't allow the drop target to move very much at all. Since on the remake the target has almost no front-to-back movement, or "give" so to speak, that might require CGC to set the drops up with much tighter tolerances than on the original. Making for more finicky adjustments to get it operating smoothly.

The ledge the targets catch on is basically same size as Stern Drop targets. The issue as I've seen it is not 'lack of movement' but too much movement. They are reset so hard/far they move and don't reliably latch. That's probably why your lessening the return spring makes it catch a bit easier. I just bent the tab that resets the target down slightly it and it stopped pushing the target up so far so it stopped getting pushed forward/back at the top of its motion which was causing it to dance over the latch.

1 week later
#1749 1 year ago

The sharp lockdown bars is not new for CGC. Our CC wasn't particularly bad.. but it's a recurring theme with their stock. Just knock it down some.. I'd suggest starting with the lockdown bar, you normally shouldn't get edge exposed to the side rails.

1 week later
#1962 1 year ago
Quoted from fstfish66:

played the SE at allentown,,,some saying LE,,,there were no LE to be found,,,SE and SE plus,,would like to get more time with this game and be able to hear the sound,,,but so far it looks like it will be our next game,,,,,,

Cointaker had the topper and powercoat… so should have been an le

#1969 1 year ago
Quoted from fstfish66:

the LE have been sold out for a while, the SE had an update called the SE-PLUS same game but with the LE topper,,,1200.00 topper,,,thats the game coin taker had the SE-PLUS pinball star had the standard SE edition,,and the better price

SE Plus do not have the gunmetal powdercoat. The game in the Cointaker booth was not for sale.

#2134 1 year ago
Quoted from Bay78:

We just got out CC and it’s being enjoyed. Is anyone else having an issue in Gun Fight where it holds your ball and randomly selects a drop target and instead of you having to hit it, it’s automatically awarding you the points even though you didn’t hit the drop target?

Your drop target is not staying up. Go into test mode and confirm if each targety will reset and stay up on its own.

Then adjust any that don’t by looking at the spring or bending slightly as described in the thread

#2218 1 year ago

Cc has been staying very clean with the factory rubber on location. Much better than my recent sterns.

#2237 1 year ago
Quoted from zephee:

Does anyone happen to know the size of the e-clip for the shooter rod? I was fiddling with the shooter (having issues with the strength of the plunge) and the clip popped off and cannot find it for the life of me. Was going to just order a replacement but not sure what size. https://www.pinballlife.com/e-clips.html
Thanks

Hardware store dude can buy that standard stuff anywhere

1 week later
#2586 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

The industry and customer base is far greater than the Pinside universe. We are really a different breed here.

Meh - we're the easy ones relative. Just remember all the threads when noobs come into the hobby and expect sellers and companies to act like a normal consumer product company... free returns, big warranties, customer support, availability, etc.

Most people when they spend big bucks - they expect some time in return for their purchase. We hobbyists are the ones that know the roots of commercial operation - not consumer retail.

Quoted from jfh:

Unfortunately when manufacturers do give us more info and something gets delayed they tend to get slammed so they may see it as a no-win situation. That is frustrating for the reasonable people here, especially those with orders in.

Another meh - this is hiding from the problem instead of embracing transparency. The biggest problem is distortion and hearsay.. which is best addressed by direct, clear statements that are clarified if needed. CGC instead takes the 'secretive' approach to everything because they think it's better. I say Boo that man

#2587 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

I know. But it’s weird. Why not sell more?

To drive sales and demand for 'exclusive'/limited kinds of titles of course. You undercut your own demand generation if you water down exclusivity after the fact.

#2666 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

Why do you think BoP 2.0 did differently that CCr Enhanced isn't going to do?

Bop shares only the physical playfield with bop 1.0. Bop 1.0 doesn’t have modes, the display, etc

CGC extended is setting up to be an expansion of the cc game and concept - not something entirely different like the 2.0 projects have done

1 week later
#2772 1 year ago
Quoted from TonyP66:

I keep seeing posts about the game maybe not being deep or hard enough. Personally what do I know, I only have a couple older machines so I am excited for the day when my more modern LE will arrive. Out of curiosity, could someone give me an example of what some of these more deep titles are? I would think that just because a game is deeper it does not mean it is more fun so I would be interested in the games people are comparing this to.

This conversation always gets convoluted because people confuse 'more' and 'varied'. Lack of depth is not necessarily the same as simple.

Games can either be shallow in that.. there is little to do
or games can be shallow in that there is little WORTH doing or much variation to it.
Games with 'depth' are really about having good variation in strategy or layers that also reward that variation.

Simply adding 20 more modes of the same thing isn't adding depth - that's breadth.

So the real conversation is really 'how much' and 'how varied'. For instance, a game may have a lot to do.. but if it's just a grind without much variation.. that's breadth, not depth. Contrast that with another game.. that may give a lot of variation to play through strategy or variation in a smaller number of objectives. Examples like opportunistic play mechanics like stacking, or boosters, or variable scoring opportunities that give players multiple paths to progress.. or reward players differently depending on their success.

So in a lot of ways, a more direct way to look at it is.. 'how much strategy/variation does the game offer to score big points?' TAF offers a ton of modes, but not necessarily a huge amount of strategy in how to play. Contrast with a complex game like Batman66.. where there are multiple layers people try to weave to unlock massive scoring. A game like Demolition Man has a decent number of modes.. but they are overshadowed by the potential of Multiball.. which is pretty basic to unlock and abuse over and over. So Demo Man is an example of 'shallow' because of scoring balance and lack of variation... large portions of the game become irrelevant. Contrast that with a game like Shadow... where it's not just one so obvious 'one way to play to win'.. because there are different paths that are still viable.

CC has a lot on it... but doesn't really offer a lot of strategy choices in your progression through the game. It's more of a grinder - just do everything.. when and how doesn't really matter. Your scoring doesn't really change based on other achievements, etc. In this regard.. the game is relatively flat.

WPC titles in general didn't have a lot of complexity in this area... some games suffer more than others in terms of lack of balancing or variation in what they offer. Ideas like score boosting, benefits, etc weren't really common play mechanics. Stacking modes, stacking mb+modes, extending or enhancing multiballs was pretty much the common mechanics at the time. A lot of strategy is more about 'what to avoid/ignore' vs 'what to do together' or 'what to do in what order'

CC also gets knocked on a bit because it's layout and basic mode qualification is essentially the same as it's siblings.. AFM, MM, MB, SS, etc. Contrast that with other titles that offered more geometry variation (Shadow, Congo, etc)

What all this means is.. in CC.. you basically just keep trying to do everything and stay alive. Scores are about success in hitting shots and staying alive.. and less about your strategic choices. That's why it's kind of boring to advanced players. There isn't as much 'payoff' for doing something challenging.

Contrast that with something like the triple MB stack in BSD... getting 30mil Jackpots is an objective that not only is challenging, but has a significant payoff for doing so.

So yes, at the 10ft level.. WPC in general were shallower than rulesets in the last decade.. but there are still ones that stand out more than others in terms of giving at least 2-3 different paths.. or 2-3 key objectives to unlock to make the game less of just 'shoot everything and stay alive'

CC doesn't excel based on it's depth or ruleset. It excelled with some fun mechanisms, unique play (quickdraw), and the good writing WMS/Bally had at the time. CCr builds on this by enhancing that physical game with nice quality.. and hopefully in the future extending that interesting game play.

#2775 1 year ago
Quoted from TonyP66:

Thanks to all that shared their thoughts on depth of game. After CCr I have room for about 2 maybe three machines so I am taking the time to evaluate how to fill it in over the next couple years. I started my collection with a couple of older machines that were near and dear growing up. Probably want to add a classic chime machine (Mata Hari SS maybe?) and then something deep for me so I appreciate all the comments. I am very excited for my CCr LE!

The good thing about pinball is... they aren't like children

You can go and use other people's to see what you like... and getting one isn't a permanent commitment. As you tire of a game, you can sell it on and get something else. Focus on 'what will bring me entertainment now...' and less about the future. With stable or appreciating prices, owning a game has been a low commitment.

1 week later
#3039 1 year ago
Quoted from sizzler747:

I had heard years ago that Diamond plate clear coat could no longer be made the exact same way because one of the ingredients caused cancer when making it and was banned. Not sure if the story is true or not, just what I heard.

Lawlor still tells the Diamondplate story this way.. that it was really toxic (even at TPF recently).

The truth is probably in the middle somewhere... 'so nasty that people don't want to deal with it' vs 'banned'

#3272 1 year ago
Quoted from twinmice:

So I just ordered a set of new W/B legs from pinball life and they are also crimped. I compared them with my other games and ya they are way more pinched than the old ones. So I assume CGC and pinball life and probably Marco get them from the same supplier. Hopefully someone gets a hold of whoever is making these and corrects them.

Got measurements of these deltas?

#3358 1 year ago
Quoted from mostater:

Is it OK to raise the machine using just the bottom of the cabinet or does the Harbor Freight lift have to be positioned in such a way that the cabinet sides are resting on it? I'm imagining a machine with legs on and rolling the HF lift between them from the front. Seems like all the weight would then be just on the cabinet bottom when raising the machine.

Unless your game cabinet is compromised... it will work just fine lifting on the cabinet bottom alone. You can put boards under it when you have games that are a concern.. but this would be the rarity, not the norm.

#3372 1 year ago
Quoted from Ripper:

What are people's thoughts on values?
Like, it's great that CCR is a thing because it makes it more accessible, but the original will always be the original. I think I would rather have a minty original than the remake.
Just curious on opinions?

If you were buying for history and are the type that are proud of your antiques - sure, buy an original. But for pretty much every other angle and aspect buying a CCr is going to be a better choice. The lighting, the display, the improved accents are all better and hard to replicate in an original. And if you doll up the original... or even add extended... why did you chase originality to start with?

#3377 1 year ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

Do legs even get test fit at the factory? Or are the finished games get play tested on carts, and then 4 bad legs come out of a big box and sent with the game as it's boxed. Yeah they missed the bad legs, but so did the actual manufacturer of the legs along with other parts resellers that sold the same bad legs to people. It all comes down to these legs are being manufactured out of specification

Legs are just parts they put in the box. They don’t go on the game when being built. Obviously they have to QC parts they get in from their supplier but they also need to have a test for this kind of condition. This is kind of a new one. But parts QC is part of their responsibility.

#3452 1 year ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

Anyone with March 2022 build dates have leg / decal issues...?

No - this seems to just be a recent parts batch issue.

Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

As an aside, how early was CGC showing finalized prototype games at shows prior to or dovetailing with early manufacture? Strikes me as a bit odd that they wouldn't notice leg / decal issues on those late prototypes / early production builds when they were setting up and breaking down the games at shows or whatever. However, I suppose if the leg crimps were bad even then, perhaps damage wasn't apparent because the legs were only on approximately 2-3 days for a show and then taken off so there wasn't enough time for damage to result? Just a question...

You're way overthinking this. Older games (including the sample games) simply could be using legs from another batch of parts, that predate the bad batch. Considering the problem is recent, it's likely simply the next batch of legs CGC got to keep their inventory flowing was flawed.

The real impact is really for CGC themselves. How many games went out with bad legs, and how much inventory do they have that is impacted, and what is their lead time to get inventory of corrected/non-impacted parts.

You could even have outcomes like CGC switching to a thicker leg plate as an interim solution.. as it maybe faster and cheaper to simply 'work around' the problem then it is to try to ditch all the impacted inventory.

#3454 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

CGC has integrity and has acknowledged an issue.

JJP never had the balls to do this.

actually their response is basically identical to JJP when their woes first started. "we're looking into it, open a ticket, and we'll work with people on a case by case basis". The issue was where JJP went next... with really bad 'case by case' results

#3460 1 year ago
Quoted from Screwloose:

If you want to avoid that then install an aftermarket accessory.

You seem to forget two things

1) that CGC already installs what was the aftermarket accessory for avoiding leg damage - the metal standoffs. The issue here is the leg deformation is exceeding the clearance the metal protectors give.
2) The expectation that this isn't a concern because of #1 and prior knowledge of the games from CGC to-date.

Yes, you can go further... but your assertion that 'this should be seen as the norm' because of what was done years before...doesn't align with CCr - because its not made like games from years ago were.

#3471 1 year ago
Quoted from Screwloose:

Seems to me they are using the same leg design as years gone by. Put on the same design cabinet & bolted with the same size bolts as 20+ years ago into the same style of plates.

Williams did not use metal cabinet stand-offs to protect the cabinet from the leg - modern games (including CCr) do.

Quoted from Screwloose:

If I took an old leg & put it on a new CCr game are we certain that no damage would result?

YES - because the CCr games without bad legs are fine… as are the CGC games before this.

It’s obvious you do not have any hands on experience here with the games

Quoted from Screwloose:

If I was a pinball manufacturer I would be including a set of Pincab protectors with every game. Use them at your discretion. .

CGC already does better than this - by installing metal cabinet protectors. The oversized plastic protectors create their own problems with decals. That’s why everyone uses the metal stand-off concept now instead. The protectors are great for covering damage - not so great at preventing it… just better than naked legs.

#3620 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

I was that person but you totally_ misunderstood my argument. *LOL*
I gave examples how defective products are repaired. Some products are repaired in your house, for example a leaking AC.

And many require the customer to return the product to the company... at their own expense.
AC - most have parts only warranty, which mean you get to pay someone to come install the part.
Most large consumer items, at best you get a freight company that comes and picks up the product... and is usually something handled by the distributor/retailer - not the manufacturer.

Your examples really don't mean much because you are comparing apples, oranges, and watermelons.

At the end of the day, it's a cosmetic issue. Sucks, but *&% happens when you own games too. I think CGC should just offer people cabinet decals or an offer of CGC credit towards a future purchase for those who can't fix their stuff. Besides pepper's game.. most of this decal damage is so trivially minor.

Sometimes you get a bad draw... its up to you how much energy you want to spend on it. When we get games damaged in shipping, we don't aim for perfection, we aim for balance. For this kind of decal cuts... I'd flatten the decal out, try to minimize it's look, and just fix the leg and hope for some credit for my inconvenience.

Don't worry - people buy less than flawless games.

#3651 1 year ago
Quoted from Mageek:

I’m aware of that FAQ but that FAQ is not a fact it is speculation, I was asking if the new hardware is in fact saloon doors.

uhh.. are you sure you understand what a FAQ is?

The FAQ is intended to be the consolidation of the information as currently known for that topic. If you find the FAQ speculative... it's because that's the only information as known to-date..

#3680 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Was looking at the leg standoffs on my Rush, and the ones Stern uses are much thicker than the standoffs on Cactus. They're plastic and a lot thicker than the metal standoffs that CGC is using.

Really? The stern ones are really flimsy - I can't imagine them being thicker by significant amounts than the mantis metal protectors.

#3685 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Picked mine up today,legs were way too tight to decals. I did the HEP screw fix, still too tight. I put on leg protectors and put a crease in decal on upper edge on right front leg, not noticeable, but there. Finally removed leg protectors, put 3 small washers under the screws, and now have nice clearance to decals.

Yeah but that is a lot of pressure in a small area to just use washers like that. I would expect those to eat into the wood over time.

#3692 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Cmon, the washers are on top of the factory protector.

Gotcha - I misread and thought you had it under

#3757 1 year ago
Quoted from crazypinballguy:

Not a big issue, but only 80 games played and there's a already a rubber ready to break.
Not really sure what would have caused the gash in the middle of it. Are my flipper shots really that powerful?
We love playing this pin, it's alot of fun.
[quoted image]

could have just been a rubber that was nick'd etc . Sometimes just some parts are bad.

#3797 1 year ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Here's the first video in this new series for Pinball Mayhem - basically my efforts to make the game "play better". There's also a common blunder that I included at the end of the video (Doh!)
-Pinball Mayhem Jeremy

Feedback for you..,

I am not going to watch a series videos about suggested changes that are inconclusive and spend 80% of the video doing step by step routine things. If you spend 5mins explaining how to bend a switch blade i might just explode.

Those are ‘journey’ videos… not tip videos

#3828 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:.
What seem to forget is that it was *incredibly easy* to get a guaranteed LE slot. Up until about a week before the announcement (and long after the August SFGE) getting a confirmed LE spot was a simple as sending PPS an email. The mad scramble for the LE started only after topper FOMO.

?? There was no known price before the game reveal… the reveal that included the topper and cgc-extras. Which happened at expo.

#3847 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Irrelevant. Non-refundable deposits weren’t required. Heck there are people on Stern LE lists for years for unannounced games.
The point is once CCr was confirmed anyone who wanted an LE could have gotten one. And we knew about the Lyman/Josh involvement before Expo too. It wasn’t until pricing was announced way under expectations and people went nuts after the topper that everyone went batshit over the LE.

Well.. KNOWING WHAT IT COSTS... is kinda a big part of the demand for the game. To simply argue 'you could have gotten on a list' prior is dumb. We all know those lists are non-commital - from both parties. And the very presence of the SE+ is evidence that even CGC didn't think 'anyone who wanted an LE could have gotten one' because they had to rejigger their product offer to appease those who wanted an LE but couldn't get one.

The facts are - when the game actually went on sale, demand ate up supply almost immediately. Anyone who wan't on-deck and waiting that week would have missed out.

#3848 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

I have searched everywhere,
Still looking for a picture of CCr backbox translight/backglass lighting arrangement ?
Anyone able to help with this ?
I can only assume BB lighting is the same across all CCr models ?
Haggis Fathom remake pic for reference.
[quoted image]

Fathom uses PCBs in the backbox.
CCr uses a plastic light tub like the original uses IIRC

#3858 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Yes, it was much harder if you waited until after the reveal but name any game from any other mfg where you had over three weeks to secure an LE with $0 to lose and no FOMO Hint: there wasn’t one

whatever... every game you can 'get on a list' if you are good enough with your distributor. And CGC jumped through hoops to make the SE+ because there was a proven demand for people WHO DIDN'T GET AN LE BUT WANTED ONE. So obviously it wasn't as 'anyone who wanted one got one' as you make it to be.

#3872 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I doubt the parts for the topper were higher if anything probably less, and at $1250 that topper is a massive profit margin for CGC which the only reason they decided to do it.

The increase in price between the le with topper and models without is not increasing at the scale the topper complexity is. So it really doesn’t line up with your assertion that margin was the ‘only reason decided to do it’.

They’ve done toppers on all the games since AFM and this topper is the most expensively designed and probably most expensive BOM yet. I think their motivation is different then you assume

#3886 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I highly doubt that. Maybe its not the only reason, but it was a major factor....toppers for the most part are massive profit margins, and this one is no different. AFMR and CCR were clearly more expensive to develop....MMR and MBR were static and kinda Meh (I have both)

Again, if they were so driven by margin... they wouldn't be spending all that money developing the complex toppers they do. And if they were so driven by margin.. they wouldn't have priced the game so modestly.

Listen to CGC Doug talk about their choices and what they chose to invest it.. it's not all accounting driven.

#3943 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Ignoring the cost and logistical issues involved in doing that for both the CGC and their distributors, CGC didn’t go that route because, in part, it would have increased the cost of the topper (e.g. the perceived $1250 difference from the SE) to the customer because it would have been classified as an accessory rather than a game sub-assembly. That’s related to/a function of the licensing agreement (as is apparently the real reason for why there is no Classic Edition. Won’t say more than that other than CGC made the right move).

I don't buy that for a moment. If they left out a part and shipped it to you separately it would not reclassify how it was sold, etc. It's warranty.

I think the issue is they are scared about classifying the game as complete so they can actually invoice for the game, then trying to account separately for the topper later.. thus triggering issues. I don't believe at all that the interested parties could not come to an agreement to not pursue a challenge on something that is obviously honest compensation for a manufacturing issue. IOUs are not uncommon these days in other products with the supply chain issues many industries were facing.

And 'logistical issues' - it's simply a matter of getting a list and shipping the same thing to everyone. It's not hard to say "if you can't give me an address, you don't get a game until later" and stick to the guns of simply dealing with the original buyers.

It all still sounds to me like "we don't wanna"

#3948 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Nope. Not an accounting exercise. I’m not going to say more because I like it when I hear from the birdie.
Much more likely this was a customer friendly decision that allowed for a lower total sales price for anyone that wanted both the game and the topper.

Again.. a 'lower price' only becomes a factor when you buy into the first explanation. I don't find it convincing. These are not adversarial partners involved here. I get they can't make it an 'option' and the consequences about that.. but changing how you ship it doesn't make something an option or accessory. Especially since they already ship toppers as separate pieces to start with - just in the same shipment. I just don't find the excuse convincing.

Quoted from jfh:

Let me just say that there were a whole lot more discussion about the logistics involved than you covered. Not as easy as you make it sound (or frankly as I originally thought). It sure sounded like CGC was way more “we wanna but we shouldn’t” than anywhere near “we don’t wanna”.

Most problems sound hard when you focus on the 'why nots' instead of 'how can we'. Between CGC and their distributors they have no problem finding the person to pay for the game.. so I don't buy that it's that much harder to assemble the list of buyers to ship to. If data export is that big of a problem for some distros, exclude them from the program and make them wait for a combined shipment. Those that can meet the requirements.. congrats we will help you and us by getting those games out quicker.

Reality is it would be a huge expense because shipping their topper boxes are expensive, plus weeks of work. This is not easy work when you don't have a lot of staff doing this kind of stuff anyways. It presents a lot of challenges - but isn't undoable. It's just a heck of a lot easier for them to just sit and wait and make the customer 'wait until its perfect' -- just like CGC has always done.

The real push would come if they had other cascading impacts in the factory in terms of delays causing other scheduling or space issues. But that hasn't been much of an issue with them previously... and there doesn't look like anything challenging that now either.

I get it.. you got an explanation from someone on the inside... that doesn't necessarily mean you got the clean story. Spin comes from the inside too....

#3957 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Since you have all the answers why don’t you move up from being an operator and manage logistics for one of the pinball manufacturers or become a distributor and just show everyone how things should be done?

Reason #1 - Pay in the industry sucks

#4002 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

I hope they’re making & stockpiling everything for the LE and SE+’s up to the point they can complete them and just sitting on them for final parts when they arrive. A few twists of a screwdriver and a packaged topper later and they can blast them out the door in droves! Imagine everything being held up ships simultaneously...

1) The topper is in a separate box to start with.. so no need to keep games out of their boxes (if the issue is infact just parts in the topper)
2) The amount of space games take up is enormous in volume. Even if CGC were only doing 40 games a week, that is more than one tractor trailer's worth of games a week. To build 500 games would take them 16 tractor trailers. Or over 5100 sq ft of floor space...

Now remember how many LEs they sold.. This does not work well to assemble the games in volume and hold onto them for long periods. That is why people suggested SHIPPING them

#4009 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

I’m in the ship ‘em out crowd. But what is the alternative to that or stockpiling them? Just put the staff on leave and halt production? Downtime in a factory is a killer. They’d be better off renting warehouse space if they are bent on holding back inventory rather than shipping toppers separately. Something doesn’t add up...

CGC builds other products and doesn't actually build Pinball at volume all the time.

Now stopping MID-project like this is a different twist than their usual ramp up and down they do between projects.. but CGC's cadence would be death for a normal full-time pinball company long ago. So they have worked out a model that works for them.

Delays and non-communications are par for the course for CGC - but they've delivered great product, so many are just in the 'have patience' camp.

I gotta believe stalling everything and the cascade of problems that causes is a lot worse than extra labor and shipping cost for toppers.. but Doug@CGC have a different take on it all obviously.

If the stories of having to reject another round of parts is true.. you gotta think eventually their prior plan is strained as their dates slide further and further.

#4027 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It makes sense to me. Look at all the second-guessing here from people without any information. Now imagine how much “coaching” they would get from guys like flynnibus here if they shared the intimate details of their operations. I think they’re being smart.

The best solution is to be transparent and convincing. They don’t need to be granular just make a convincing, believable case and update as appropriate.

This is how businesses that respect their customer operate.

The truth is CGC doesn’t because they know they don’t have to. People aren’t going to go anywhere and basically have no alternative.

Last night i had to work through Microsoft having a complete total outage of their platform. Not only do they admit there was a problem, and plan for the cadence of updates, but they admitted they screwed up. The difference is they know customers will hold them accountable if they don’t.

Companies like CGC still think hiding behind the walls is the way to manage communications. It’s absurd and the only way they get away with it is because they are the single source. Of course given how they handle launches too… it’s par for ghe course.

#4029 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:This isn’t as easy as “ship the toppers” later.

This entire response was unnecessary if you read the part of the conversation that said…

“(if the issue is infact just parts in the topper)”

#4032 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

We all have a pretty good idea that it's just not the topper. My guess is its multiple LE related parts, and I'm sure this leg issue isn't helping them get games out the door.

And it’s also been coming up on a year since they had samples completed. There is lead times… and then there is ‘more to it than lead times’.

After the MBr delays… nothing surprises me with cgc anymore. (Except ccr le’s price )

#4071 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Contact CGC directly and maybe they will sell a replacement glass?

CGC doesn't do parts sales... they push you off to PPS, etc.

#4083 1 year ago

why hasn't anyone just stacked the metal protectors? Seems the most direct approach. Stack to get flat uniform stand-off... and be done with it.

#4236 1 year ago

Mine has foam

2 weeks later
#4551 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

And how is ordering an CCr LE on October 29, 2021 and not having it yet any different or worse than ordering EHOH in January 2021 and not having it yet?

One was supposed to be in production... the other was a pre-order for a game known not to be in production and was an order for 'the next production run'

#4588 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

The primary point is that, while disappointing, the CGC production delays with CGC are no worse than those we have seen with any other manufacturer

"no worse" when you cherry pick an example and ignore the hundreds of other games shipping... This is why you get knocked as defending CGC too much.

Any lay person can identify and empathize with an obvious failure to deliver on time or anywhere near expectations set. Yet you want to spin it as 'normal'. No, it's not normal.

The only thing normal about this is the repeated behavior pattern of CGC. And next time your friend Ryan gets up and boasts about how ready they are when annoucing... everyone should call them out until they actually start shipping inventory. Because this crap is really getting old.

#4589 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Have you tried to buy anything lately?

Yeah, but how much you wanna bet Stern starts shipping its new game within weeks of announcing it?

#4592 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Lol. I didn’t say it was normal or defend it as such. I said it was no worse than what is happening with other manufacturers. I believe most rational and logical people realize the potential impacts from supply chain issues, issues outside CGC’s control and unforeseen problems.

If CCr was announced in Jan 2020... that line would still fly. But reality is CGC launched CCr in Oct 2021... a launch done knowing the landscape and a launch done with production plans in place. Let's not forget the boasting of PFs already made, etc.

Unexpected delays - yes, things happen. But managing your customer expectations properly and doing the right thing is CGC's cross to bear. And this is not a COVID-supply-chain unique sequence of events for CGC.

Quoted from jfh:

You and some others seem to get some perverse pleasure from seeing CGC fail to meet your expectations whether they are reasonable or not.

No - I just speak up to keep things honest and counter the fluffing. Call it tough love if you want, but I'm not going to join in the kum ba yah chorus when people make excuses to justify poor behavior or make up cover. You keep saying this is 'no worse than other manufacturers'... yet others are adapting and getting product out the door and providing forecasts. CGC sits behind the closed doors hiding from the very same audience they were so happy to engage with during the sales cycle... instead leaking stuff to 3rd parties like yourself to be their mouthpiece.

#4699 1 year ago

just because CGC eventually shipped games doesn't mean they were 'right all along' and people upset with the situation were wrong.

It just means CGC didn't fail to deliver a game.

Remember that.

#4708 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

You’re seriously sounding like a broken record on this. But you’re not the only one.

If only CGC would change the tune…

#4730 1 year ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Nah....just the way they're built...although I guess dreams are free

Inside CGC hq...

planning loop cgc (resized).pngplanning loop cgc (resized).png

I mean.. I said this back in January... and now...
Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.36.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.36.34 PM.png

#4733 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Do you have one on order?

already have our SE and waiting on the LE

but thanks for asking!

1 week later
#4947 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

If I had to guess I'd say CGC is waiting for the LEs to be produced and that's what they'll submit for approval (full game with all features). The SE would then get automatic approval by being just a sub-model (no topper). Saves money by only getting 1 model analyzed and approved.
This is just my opinion based on what I read for CSA approvals.

Approvals can be done with sample games (which already exist). No need to wait for production run games unless they materially changed them to the point the samples are not suitable. At which time, they would have retrofitted a sample game.

1 week later
#5070 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Don’t expect the upgrade kit this year.

So for some perspective. It's going to take them longer to add an extension to this game then it takes other companies to develop an entire game from scratch.

And that's generously based on the timeline where they had a final game ready.. and had already started on the expansion.

Makes me wonder what the timeframe for the next remake will be. Will the CC expansion delay the next remake even that much longer? Or is the expansion a way to monetize resources that would otherwise be idle/waiting for the next project.

#5072 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

That’s not perspective. That’s your opinion.

No - it's facts. You're going to be more than 15months AFTER the game was launched to your timeline of the soonest availability of the expansion. It's been cited over and over the general timeframe for development of games at Stern is around 1yr. There is no 'opinion' in this.

Quoted from jfh:

And a debatable one given other manufacturers code update timelines.
Also, most games are not designed from scratch. Code for CCr took longer because CGC/Lyman rewrote the OS and the original code was rewritten in assembler - in part to allow for future code extensions.

What? rewriting the OS/etc ARE NOT PART OF THE 15MONTHS BEING REFERENCED HERE. That work was already done by Oct 2021 when they launched the game. I'm talking about the period between Oct 2021 and Jan 2023. The OS and game were not rewritten during that time.

Reality is it will be well over a year between when the sample (completed) games were shown and sales were opened and when the expansion is even considered being available.

Quoted from jfh:

Almost certainly unless CGC hires dedicated resources to complete the Josh/Lyman code. (Josh is not a programmer). Without that, any time Sam and the CGC team spends completing Lyman’s work takes away from any other projects on their plate.

No. There are multiple projects underway. There isn’t any “down” time other than that already planned for future runs of past products (e.g. MMR 2023 run).

You're not connecting all the pieces. The next game won't require as much software to be created as CGC did because as you mentioned, the created a whole new platform. So there is less work to do for the next one vs what they just did. And don't you remember when they included people like Ferret on one of their slides awhile back? And the hardware design for the next game can be on a different timeline then the software.

It really is just a question of if this extra chunk of work is going to come at the expense of 'the next' thing.. and if these long periods and extra project scope are going to stretch out what is already a hugge gap between CGC titles.

#5090 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Spoken like someone who has never been in software development. Your 15 months and 1 year timeframes are not only comparing apples and oranges but neglecting the differences in the development cycles. Oh yeah - and you’re comparing the first true DRM code project for pinball to Stern’s average code project.

What a joke... never been in software dev? My last project where I was the architect was developed across 3 continents, 7 time zones, and is booking 7 figures A MONTH in recurring revenue. How about you? Careful where you stick your neck out.

There're still building game code using a high level language and they better have established a framework for their games. If they haven't... they're idiots and maybe why their value-add feature is taking as long as others use to develop an entire game.

'first true DRM code project for pinball'?? You think adding DRM to the product (where they already control the hardware) now makes this into some moon mission? If the feature were going to take them an extra year just to add DRM to the project, they'd probably should have just gone back to their PIC chip like they used last time.

Fact still remains... year+ of development for an 'expansion' feature.

#5092 1 year ago
Quoted from cldgin2:

Ok, so I kinda cheated the install so I could see and stare what he looks like installed….
What do you all think? He has movement, randomly seems to move his arms into different poses then goes back to the pointing guns position.
Cannot wait to have the time and install him the right way. [quoted image][quoted image]

pretty awesome. Do you have any option to add sound too to match with your movement?

1 week later
#5179 1 year ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

Just got mirrored BG today from my distributor. I know that installing it is just a matter of taking the four trim pieces off the existing lightbox, removing the translite and replacing it with the mirrored BG but I have heard that reinstalling the trim can be a pain. Any tips or tricks? (I reviewed the FAQ but nothing mentioned as to any tips / tricks for this particular install). Thanks!

No sharp objects. Like any long piece of any friction fit item, start at one end and work progressively in/out and across. The edges will start much easier than the middle, etc. Check for fitment placement of the whole item before starting.. instead of just lining up an edge.

1 month later
#5706 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

If they were able to pre-build certain parts (like cabs, PF, etc) they may be able to produce more than 50/week.

You can stock pile assemblies but only so much due to space - so any 'head start' would be pretty limited. And while prebuilding more stuff than before would allow them to shift work, it can't change your throughput in other areas. Simple example... if they can only QA 20 games a day, it doesn't matter how many assemblies are on the shelf or how much is in the queue.. they are only going to finish 20 games a day.

Production like this is highly scheduled because of the differences in times each stage may take so you don't get these backups or droughts. Things that take longer you stage ahead (Playfields, cabinets, etc). You don't overproduce what you can't advance to the next stage, etc. So the funnel of parts being on hand, sub-assemblies ready, the throughput of each stage etc is highly orchestrated to keep the line moving steadily. And usually there are stages that are difficult bottlenecks that are hard to scale. It can be as simple as how many loading docks you have and how quickly you can turn trucks around.

CGC has never shown the posture of 'now lets speed up' for temporary anything - Let's just hope for a steady reliable stream of quality games.

#5748 1 year ago
Quoted from CoPinfan:

Looks like a SE+ with the stainless rails. But it has the wood apron.

maybe it's one of the sample games that was made to support shows/dealers from last year?

#5786 1 year ago
Quoted from MooButt:

Yeah? Ford and Chevy built complete cars and parked em while they were waiting for chips. My auto manufacturer customers didn’t slow down a bit. I’m not buyin it.

Yeah, when CGC has production line inertia problems like Ford or Chevy... and you can actually use things like airstrips to store pinballs... then your comparison might have some relevance. Until then...

#5814 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

I was waiting for the LE to arrive before seeing if Pinstadiums were recommended. I asked a few months back but searched through the forum and didn’t see any pinstadium post. Curious if anyone installed it yet.

These games have great lighting including color coded GI effects. Pinstadiums? Totally not needed.

#5829 1 year ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Has anybody had an issue with one or more of the bad guys stand up targets activate a hit without being hit? Occasionally when a gun fight starts and starts roaming, a target registers and ends the gun fight.

Your targets are not latching in the up position. Will need a spring adjustment mentioned several times in the thread

1 week later
#6127 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Come on. This is an old and tired argument.
LEs slots were readily available for WEEKS before the Expo reveal, during that weekend and early into the week (unlike Stern LEs).

Same old tired deflection- the game pricing and details were not available… so pointing at people making commitments before the game is even revealed is not equivalent to ‘lots of availability’

You repeating it doesn’t make it true

#6138 1 year ago
Quoted from chillme:

This what was posted at the end of August. I sent email a day later on 9/1 to put my name on the list

So like i said… well before the game was revealed. You’re talking well over a month BEFORE the game was revealed.

This does not make the game generally available for a long time after it was revealed which is cgc #1 fan’s favorite goto.

I mean if it was so readily available there would have been no sales of the SE+ and zero reason to even introduce that. But we know that unmet demand after the game was revealed was the exact reason the Se+ was introduced— UNMET DEMAND

Readily available presale interest lists != readily available inventory ‘for anyone who wanted one’

#6139 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

CCRLEs were available to those that wanted one

Then who were the SE+s added for? People who just like paying more?

#6199 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

It’s pretty crazy not to get a little assembly line shot or teaser thrown out from CGC to show that things are happening.

defenders will jump in "they don't want to be criticized or nitpicked about the photo"

Meanwhile... a year later they are still trying to come up with justifications for 9+months of silence.

#6239 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

CGC has delayed announcing their next game because of the delay.

I LOL’d

Like this even need to said by them… when it’s only them who have put themselves in that position over and over and over. It’s a bone thrown to make people think ‘oh nos….’ When it really comes off as trying too hard to deflect. Tell Ryan that’s something they should have worked out themselves

#6277 1 year ago

Look how fast PPS appears when it’s a topic they want to face…

#6298 1 year ago
Quoted from Jeffster:

Email received today from PPS said no update on tracking. And they reported that their messages to CGC go unanswered. WTF? PPS is caught between a rock and a hard place. They have to be CGC's largest customer and they don't even respond to them? Not even sure I want this now.....what's going to happen if/when we need repairs if we ever do get the game? Strange behavior indeed and has me concerned about their corporate viability. Something is not right here....

I call bullshit on that story. Not only is PPS their customer… they are the gatekeeper for all their future remake deals. Do you really believe doug would not even take Rick’s call? No way

Now not give them a date they don’t want to repeat… i can see… or non commital… i can buy. Rick can’t even get a call back?? I don’t buy it

I think they were feeding you a tale

#6305 1 year ago
Quoted from Xfilelover:

You are way, way off. Just saying. I mean way more than off. Not even close to accurate. Just want you to know that. I sent the email, so I know you are wrong.
[email protected]

Funny… both doug and rick love throwing their cell phone numbers around daring those who want the direct answer to call them. You’re saying your boss can’t get through to CGC leadership?

Or are you telling customers a retelling after not getting an email response without actually escalating beyond an email?

#6306 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Or have information on. LOL nice try though.

Buhaha… this isn’t the first rodeo.

#6336 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

It’s glaring you have a ax to grind LOL

No - I just call BS when I see it and I don't accept fluff. Both CGC and PPS have a long history in all the categories being tossed around here... namely communications and 'selective' participation. Not sure how much you've followed the hobby.. but this is like Season 6 of the same show... same cast... same plot.

To the post... it's clear now that what the poster shared wasn't really accurate - and that's what I called out. The poster claimed

"And they reported that their messages to CGC go unanswered. WTF? PPS is caught between a rock and a hard place. They have to be CGC's largest customer and they don't even respond to them?"

Key words... 'they don't even respond to them' -- to which I raised the BS flag. And what did Sara@PPS respond with?

"we were just waiting on tracking, so I just want to clarify as it wasn't a super accurate description of the email I sent earlier"

Pretty different versions of the statements eh?

Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Is your TS still killing it on location?

Doing better than our CCr...

#6337 1 year ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I just waited 11-1/2 months to get my GZ Premium. This is now the norm so everyone better get used to it.

Stern didn't wait 12months to ship GZ after they launched it.

Getting your game because of production scheduling is a lot different from 'no one getting any games because they aren't making any after launching it'

#6350 1 year ago

Yeah thanks for that. I still think Sara is dancing a bit for her explanation vs what you've c/p'd. It's lame to think they can be so 'disappointed' and not yet exercise their own forms of escalation before telling customers "We continue to send messages to CGC, with no response and we just hope that the games will go out any day".

It's just fitting to see Rick's team not picking up the phone when being stonewalled after he lambasted people so many times for the same thing.

I have no doubt CGC will ship the games... just as always the journey is far more of a shitshow than it needed to be.

I outlined CGC's regular cycle 9 months ago... still playing out exactly as described...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ccr-cactus-canyon-remake-hype-thread/page/98#post-6714196

Just makes it fall in line with the standard cgc release model….

- Be a title everyone knows… but don’t acknowledge it
- delay the announcement… a lot
- give suprise prices
- delay shipping games… a lot
- say little to nothing
- eventually quietly ship games
- stop building games sooner than everyone expects

The cgc circle of life

It’s sad and confusing… but its like clockwork. Great news is the output has been fantastic. But it’s always like they don’t NEED to ship pins…

It's been that way with AFM.. MB.. and now CC...

Doesn't matter if it's product issues or actually getting games out the door.. CGC thinks stonewalling everyone with silence is the right path. And now you even have their partner in all this basically saying they can't get answers. It's such a sad reality that we get this non-sense over and over.

#6376 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Again, I just don’t see how you can see the past so clearly and not assume this was going to be the same. Why keep bitching about it? Literally broken record. This is in their DNA. Don’t like it, don’t order from them.

You have me confused with someone making excuses for the output

#6395 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

There’s a pretty big difference. PM your address. I’ll send you a dictionary.

Well… when your culture is ‘there are no deadlines’… i guess it makes it easy to accept delays as just another day at the office.

Solutions? Who needs solutions?? Solutions are for people with deadlines!

#6417 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

So how would this go over from CGC.
A vendor of ours is having a delay in producing a part for the CC LE's, they have let us know they can't meet the date they promised us the parts.
They have no idea on a firm date when they can get said part.
Sorry for the delay CGC.

Imagine if your boss said to you "I don't have the money for payroll this week, people haven't paid and no one has any firm dates on when they can pay. Sorry, we'll just have to wait it out". Is that what you expect your business owner to do? And defend it? Or do you expect your leaders to focus on problem solving and working on how to keep the business moving?

Delays are part of business. But you don't just sit on your hands and say "oh well" -- eventually you need to work on solutions to your problems, not just go 'ho hum'. You establish a tolerance for delay and you work on what is your plan B. Perpetual loops of wait are not a strategy. Eventually thresholds would be crossed that require pivoting and sacrificing previously committed costs/etc as you work to source alternate designs, parts, or suppliers.

Who knows, maybe they are already on plan 'G'... but what I do know is "No ETA and No Plan" is no way to run a business. And they haven't been just sitting around waiting for one vendor for a year.. and if they did, they deserve the criticism.

Their problems are far more involved than a single vendor not delivering ordered parts and waiting on that for a year.

And at this point it's been a year. If you sit around waiting for issue #1... and then finally figure out issue #2 is also a problem 4 months later because you did nothing while waiting for issue #1... then yes you are open to criticism for single-tracking and not being ready.

So yes, the topic is far more than coming along with a 'we didn't get a parts from a vendor' excuse.

#6418 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I wish they would just be honest about what the delays are being caused by. It's not a topper part. If it were, they would have been building LEs for the past 5 months and boxing them up/setting them aside. The toppers are shipped in a separate box and could have been made/packaged once this elusive topper part was received.

They've supposedly said multiple times that's not possible... because they can't work out how to ship a box to buyers at a later date...

Something people do everywhere.. but apparently is impossibly hard for a pinball topper!

#6420 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

flynnibus there’s a lot of speculation in your longer post above. Why not stick to what we know, and not make things up?

I'm not speculating anything. Someone presented a situation and inferred that should bean adequate type of feedback and I said why that's not an adequate type of status that would appease people.

"No ETA, no plan" is not an adequate update. My post was in response to 'if CGC said...'

There is no speculation in pointing out where we are and the general expectation of how people function. If you told your boss "I don't have the work done, and I don't have an ETA"... and you avoided him for 6 months you'd think he'd be happy to sit back and go "oh well, he doesn't know when.. so we wait".

In every situation, you get to a point that waiting is no longer an option. What your tolerance for waiting before acting has a lot to do with your willingness to act and tolerance for change.

We don't know what interations and attempts they've made (if any). I never speculated one way or another. But if you ask "What if we just told you we had no ETA" -- I'd say 'so what are you doing about?'

#6422 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I'm not suggesting to ship them separately - I'm saying that if it was TRULY a topper part that they were waiting on, why would they not go ahead and build the LEs, box them up and set them aside?

Because games take up a large amount of space. 500 LEs is like a dozen tractor trailer loads.

If they made 40 games a week, they'd be filling up basically ~ 300sq ft of floor space a week. That's open space they likely don't have nor want to pay to create temporary storage for.

I agree with your premise, but it's something that is not really unbounded so you can only get so much advantage from doing so.

#6443 1 year ago

Ehh... that is talking about the postulate - not speculating on CGC's situation. It's addressing the scenario where someone says "well, first it was then, then it was that" adding to the time frame. It's simply saying if you are single tracked you still deserve criticism for stalling behind a single gate.

#6447 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

That entire post sure read like speculation.
As for “No ETA and no plan is no way to run a business”, I agree. But there is no evidence either is true.

That's what the post suggested an 'update' could be -- and my post points out that an update that simply points out problems, without a plan, is inadequate. My response was about what about the hypothetical that was raised -- not specifically what CGC has done (since they ain't said shit!)

Quoted from jfh:

(With your employee/boss scenario - that doesn’t really apply here but I’d expect the employee to be fired unless that employee had some incredible value to the business. Everyone upset enough at CGC for whatever reason has the ability to “fire” them by cancelling their order).

It does apply - It speaks to the premise of how you manage bad news and manage adversity. You don't just drop the news and throw up your hands. If you are responsible, your job is also to build confidence in success by saying what you're going to do about the issue.

This is the crux of the problem with the hypothetical put forth by the other poster and what I was responding too. Managing customer expectation isn't just about speaking up and saying something.. it's also about building confidence about you being in control of the situation or at least having a plan to recover.

Companies complain about how their 'news' gets torn up online... generally it's because they are so bad at how they communicate the news.

Take note when a company has a major outage online and manages it well. No they don't necessarily know when it will be resolved right away... but does that mean they just say "We have no idea" or worse.... just stay silent? No, the good ones communicate what is known, what is unknown, and if there is uncertainty, commit to providing an update by a deadline picked appropriately for the severity of the matter. Then they provide the updates as the situation evolves, until it is resolved. This is how they keep the customers informed, and build the confidence in the customer that even through pain and uncertainty, progress is being made or that they are fully engaged to find a solution.

This is how you manage bad news, delays, or failures to deliver... not retreat, hide from the outside world and complain "those people are mean!". People put out poorly written stuff and then get upset they didn't get their message through to the audience.

Quoted from jfh:

As has been explained a few times before … it’s not that they can’t, it’s that they shouldn’t (for a whole host of reasons, most of which impact the distributors and end consumers and raise costs for everyone. There is only one entity that might like this option).

You're finally admitting the real reason.. $$. It would raise cost to THEM and they don't want to eat that cost. They known damn well they shouldn't pass that cost onto distros and customers and to even suggest that is a concern to avoid makes them look even worse. When a company comes up short, THEY are the ones that should make the customer whole and eat the cost to do so.

They don't want to do extra shipments because it will cost them more to manage and ship. It's cost they want to avoid for themselves. Because they assume customers will just grin and bear the delay and that their losses will be less by just making people wait vs taking action.

#6449 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

The cost of renting temporary storage would pale in comparison to revenue lost by not running the assembly line for 5 months. You are still paying rent/salaries/insurance/etc whether you make games or not. No games = no income.

Sure, if this were their only source of revenue it would be a much bigger concern and you'd expect them to be far more motivated to shipping and invoicing games. But CGC is setup where they don't need to be shipping pinball all the time to survive. Their pinball production is not full time.

Everything you're saying was said months ago... but obviously CGC can function without needing to invoice CCr and they obviously haven't felt the crush to get games out.

Doing as you say (and accepting all the overhead and complexity) would be an option if they felt the need...

but they've decided they don't need to... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#6450 1 year ago
Quoted from curban:

How many LE's are there? 1250? CGC has ~$8k remaining to collect per LE? So....by not delivering, they're unable to invoice ~$10M in cash. Maybe a lot of these are already built (and costs paid for). If they're waiting on a part or a couple of parts and that's holding up $10M in cash receivables...then I'd imagine that they're doing everything they can to get these completed, invoiced, and shipped. I don't think CGC makes pinball machines because it's a fun hobby for them, I think they probably do it to make $'s. So, if you think about it, shipping (and invoicing) these LE's are probably EVEN more important to CGC than those of us that just want to play pinball as a hobby.

You'd think right?

But then you'd be disappointed with CGC past and present.

Doug would tell you its because they want a perfect product and are willing to hold the product back to do so. They consider it a point of pride. Which makes sense when they are delaying the product to improve the design more (which they've done in the past with other projects). But when you're facing a production issue.. yes, as you say, normally a business would be eager to invoice and do what is necessary to address the issue. Which is what people have been saying here for 9+ months... while others insist normal business logic is just being impatient or something...

#6455 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Trust me - I was firmly in the “how hard could it be?” camp until I learned the background of why it wasn’t done

You were told excuses you bought into. And then play all incognitio about it.. inferring it's tied up into the licensing agreement. Meanwhile, all the other areas are literally the same thing other companies deal with ALL THE TIME. This whole aura that pinball is somehow different with following up with customers is nuts. Customers will want to be found... don't buy into this 'what if someone moves...' etc kind of excuses.

The only thing that really should be unique is the potential issue with 'accessories' and some hangup about shipping stuff separately. Which I still call BS on.. for one just how someone is interpreting it and two... we are dealing with a situation where all the parties involved should be on the same team in terms of wanting a solution. Hence, they should be amenable to ensuring the corrective action doesn't cause undo harm. File it under 'if all parties really wanted to solve the problem.. they could'. You literally have all the stakeholders on the same side... shipping something they all already agreed was part of the product.

#6514 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Hey I thought this would be a fun idea.
flynnibus why don't you write up a news release on why the game is delayed, write it up so everyone who reads it is happy and content from your update.
Then we can see if any pinsiders can find an issue with said release.
You make it sound so easy, nut up buttercup lets see what cha got.

What, you want me to speculate now? And keep doing so?

I am sorry explaining customer management is so upsetting to you. If you truly think cgc has done the right thing in how they have managed their customer base and communications more power to you. In my world where billions are on the line and there is real customer consequence on the line…. This doesn’t cut it and we don’t hide from our customers fearing online distortion.

#6516 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Just to balance things out...

Stern parts issues are not justification for how cgc acts. They have nothing to do with stern.

It’s already known that parts is one of stetn’s biggest failures… you want to balance things out by comparing them to a big failure?

Aim higher

#6518 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

If someone is in that position there are two reasonable options:
1) Continue to wait
2) Take action (typically escalate within the process).
Complaining to people that may sympathize might feel good but has near zero chance of moving the ball forward. Any customer who experiences bad customer service and does nothing isn’t likely to get a satisfactory resolution.

Funny - you didn’t have the same reaction to the news that PPS couldn’t get a response either.

This whole tangent started because you were praising their support, and when the counter examples come up you instead defer the blame to the customer for not doing enough or complaining here. They were simply retorting YOU - not making new complaints

#6526 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Hyperbolic to call any of these major pinball companies a big failure.

If you were the guy spending tens of thousands on pins to put on location and find your games dead for months you might relate more.

This is business- not pleasure. And it involves real money and obligations.

#6591 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I think if you weed through everything you would conclude it’s not toxic long term. But that was my view of what the big boys think. They think it’s toxic and aren’t going to spend the time to see otherwise.

They’ll be back when it’s new sales time again

#6714 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

That’s a whole lot more work than you think it would be.
Would some sort of <updated> tag on entries that have been added/updated recently be helpful?

FAQs in forums are always an uphill fight.

Unless the community rallies behind it and forces it on all posters you will always face what you have now... drop-ins who just want to be spoon fed on-demand.

Doesn't matter if it's 'use the search' or 'read the FAQ' -- This dilemma has been around for decades in all communities and pinside as a whole is still permeated as a whole with posters like "hey, I can't read the thread, can someone just tell me the latest?". You're not going to break that pattern in a single thread as an island. It's a culture thing and it's not getting any better.

only history will appreciate the consolidation of information

#6729 1 year ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Let's say you're walking down the street talking to a friend. He asks you a question that you could answer easily enough. Instead you tell him to go look it up for himself. Seems rude.

A better analogy would be your friend calling you, and asking you what time the movie showings are tonight.

Your ignoring the friend selfishly passing over easy hits and asking you to do it instead.

1 week later
#6981 1 year ago

So glad this saga is finally turning the final corner!

interesting they test the games with the toppers on them...

Why couldn't PPS just confirm the shipments themselves when given the opportunity? Again with the crappy information handling... It's like they intentionally want to be obtuse. And don't say "well then they would get slammed with inquiries about people's games..." - That's gonna happen now anyway

Now get those lines crankin CGC!

#7023 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

What would serial number "DSD" represent?
[quoted image]
Or is that a poorly written "1250"?

looks like maybe 1050 to me... either way just messy writing I think.

#7040 1 year ago
Quoted from gorditas:

Sadly, many are seemingly much happier to complain than celebrate.

Or there is more to actually DISCUSS in one situation vs the other?

Do you want 500 posts of 'whee!' 'yes' etc? That's what thumbs up are for.

There isn't much to discuss between tracking number and waiting.. besides CGC's output... or people who like to think about what they are going to buy next.

And no one was spouting off non-sense about CGC output.. so it didn't create a bunch of pushback.. unlike some other fanboy topics.

#7041 1 year ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Noticed that the opto sensor near the pop bumpers trigger a Bart shot sometimes when the ball rolls over the opto. Is that part of the code or is something not right? Been doing it since day one. Don't see anything unusual underneath and all other switches seem fine.
[quoted image]

I think you are referring to the bart being triggered when the ball ejects into the pops area? This is intentional from prior reports.

#7201 1 year ago
Quoted from Riefepeters:

If you seem to know what the “saloon doors” are based on your own inspection under the playfield…what are you being so cryptic about it all the time? Why not share?

TLDR - the company leaks things to jfh and he promises not to disclose the full details. So you get posts like this all the time...

#7238 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Two of the best in the biz ready to support us newly minted sheriffs.

Maybe they can get the CC manual posted online by now? Pretty please?

#7278 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

They had seven of these set up at Free Play Florida last weekend. They seem to hold up really well and they were being played constantly the whole weekend. Prior to that they were at the IAAPA Amusement show for 5 days, so they had a really good workout!
These games play really great and the LED lighting is nice and bright but tastefully so. They really did a great job of making this game true to the original but taking advantage of modern technology. At some point I'd like to own one. After looking at them in a row like that I can't imagine having one without the topper though.

Really besides adjusting drop targets... ours has been really stable on location. It doesn't dirty as bad as the current sterns, it's earning OK, and hasn't had much in terms of post-assembly self-dis-assembly

It however does not draw the public nearly the same as the strong IP based Sterns. And none of the hobbyist crowd really flock to it.

#7304 1 year ago
Quoted from chillme:

Only issue I've had so far was when I picked up the head, the back glass and speaker panel was loose and coming out. Thought it was odd the head lock wasn't locked, figured somebody forgot when it was packed. Well ends up when you lock the head you can't take the key out. Key will only come out when unlocked so I will need a new lock.
And I needed to bend the right wire frame on the outline because the ball was getting stuck.

There is a little cog plate on the back of the lock that controls what positions the key/lock engage. Just take lock off and you can adjust this.

#7379 1 year ago
Quoted from moonraker:

Where is updates from pinsiders who’ve gotten games ‍♂️ which distributors are next to receive shipment. No videos yet of topper mini game, any issues ect. What’s up

What new info would you like?

The topper is already known and understood. https://www.knapparcade.org/post/detailed-pictures-video-of-the-cgc-cactus-canyon-remake-topper

Until someone like Butch at CGC tells us the real skinny on changes next year at some show.. you're unlikely to see deltas.

#7491 1 year ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Thanks. Didn’t know you could do that with screening.

Silk screening puts one color down at a time and basically 'paints between the lines'. The half-tones are how you blend the transition between colors.

How much space you have "between the lines" is down to your screen type and paint material. Half-tone dots are just small areas being painted.

#7661 1 year ago

Thank god for the switch history in the CGC menu system

#7754 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

It’s easy to attack me and apparently sport for some for whom “trust me” isn’t good enough.

Simply put...

Convince me, don't dictate to me

That's how you get buy-in.

#8033 1 year ago
Quoted from moonraker:

Question as stated before. If CGC has a handful of companies helping them finish these games if I’m not mistaken. Doesn’t that open the door for inconsistency across games and problems?

Wut?

No - cgc is building the games and has been for years

#8080 1 year ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Avoid the bad guys until you rank up, you mean?

just kill more badguys

quickdraws lead to a good cheap multiball.. I would never avoid them just to try to get a higher starting point. Just do more of it as you level up too!

#8105 1 year ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

I just got a SE in last night and I ordered a replay knocker from Planetary and a wire harness from P1nhead ahead of time, which I've already soldered together.
It was only today that I found information about a diode needed on a coil of this type to protect the board from power spikes. In reading through this thread the only mention I can find is that there is no diode on this knocker but people are using it anyway without issues?
I'm not eager to risk this rather pricey toy. Can anyone out there confirm why it is safe to use without a diode, or if it really is important for safety what I should be ordering?
Thanks, and happy to be a sheriff in training!

TLDR - extra diode doesn't matter because it's just doing the same job something up circuit is doing.. its just redundant. Where as a Missing diode means risk of damage because if the circuit doesn't have protection, due to back current hitting unprotected circuit.

The diode doesn't change the coil driving operation at all - it's just there to protect the circuit. All DC coils will have a diode on the coil, or up in the driving circuit itself.

The problem with extra diodes is more a problem of people hooking them or the coil polarity up wrong. When wired correctly, an 'extra' diode is harmless.

#8207 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Ryan told me that providing what we all think as simple details invariably and consistently leads him to spend more time dealing with calls and concerns from people who just want to know about the impact to THEIR game because for whatever reason the information is not good enough. It is disappointing that happens but isn’t that hard a concept to grasp.

And it's been said.. just because Ryan says it, doesn't make it true or the right conclusion. You repeating their claims and arguing like like "this is the way it needs to be" just makes you complicit in their whitewashing.

The difference between effective communication and poor has been laid out previously... just because when they did a poor job of it before lead to more work for them doesn't mean 'no comms' is the right choice.

You have this same pattern over and over... you take their word as gospel and run with that one perspective. Even in the face of mounds of contradictory angles... you stick to parroting what you were told w/o question. And if cornered... defend to say it was just CGC's line... well, maybe let CGC defend themselves instead of you being the megaphone. It's not doing you any favors.

#8208 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Agree 100%
But the key point is “who is late on delivery”. A number of people keep harping on “CGC has missed deadlines or multiple deadlines” yet they haven’t missed a single one. NO ONE who placed an order got a confirmed delivery date and CGC has NEVER said everyone will get their game by x date.

LOL
deadlines (resized).jpegdeadlines (resized).jpeg

Stop the spin doctoring...

#8267 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I agree it would be a shitty decision. But Stern has already went there. Most recently with EHOH. So, I wouldn't rule it out.

apples and oranges.

CC sold individual games already slated for production.

People putting in an order for a game to be produced at some point in the future is basically just forecasting for Stern.

Plus, CGC has already demonstrated (repeatedly) they have a focus on the value point of their price. They are unlikely to change from that on existing orders because they already showed once they didn't want to go that path. The only concern one should have is "There has been some expected change in the game that requires a new price". CGC isn't going to raise prices on sold games purely because of opportunity.

Distributors taking orders for future Stern production runs really isn't the same as buying an existing allocated game. Which is why Stern readily charges the current price when games go into production and fulfill allotments.

Distributors are basically making requests for games as part of a forecasting system with Stern. Distributors take deposits because they are going to be on the hook with Stern for taking games based on their forecast and it keeps the level of commitment from the buyer up.

Distributors and Stern aren't billing games like backordered items waiting for shipment - They are simply taking commitments for future products.

#8272 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

Not really true. Stern increased the price on Godzilla after it had been in production.
Those who had been earlier on a wait list with my distributor received their games at the stated price they were told at the time they got on the list.
Others further down the list (who got caught behind a production lag) ended up getting hit with an increase from Stern above the price stated at the time they signed up.

No, your example is more of the same. Stern takes commitments from dealers to help forecast what it will build. Stern collects from the dealers when the games are built. The dealer didn't 'buy' the game and have it sit waiting as backordered until it was produced.

Stern price increases are announced for future dates, not mid-run of a game (itself) physically being built. Stern charges more for a game delivered after a certain date... because that's when the sale is actually being transacted between them and the dealer. The price is set when the game is sold, not when it's requested as part of a forecast commit.

Your example is simply one where a GAME'S production run spanned a price increase. The customer's getting on their distros "list" didn't have a game bought from Stern when they got on "the list". A dealer had an expectation of future allocations based on their sales and forecast with Stern. When the game was actually built (not when announced or forecasted) is when the sale actually happens... including to your distributor. That's why the price can be what it is when it's built vs when it's requested/forecasted.

#8275 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

A sale actually happens when payment is made. Not when it's built, or announced or forecasted.
If they build a game and change the price, there is no sale unless the buyer pays for it. They can't just build it and claim it's sold at any price now.
All buyers were on the same list waiting for games to be built. Some got theirs earlier, and it was cheaper.

You're jumping back and forth - I'm talking about Stern to Distributor. And yes, the sale is when it's built - not announced or forecasted. Which is exactly why the price can be fluid up until that point. Distros aren't completing a sale with Stern when the game is announced - they do it when their games are shipped.

You are jumping to the transaction between the buyer and distributor. "all buyers were on the same list" -- That's between the customers and the distro. Not Stern. The technicality of what you secured with the distributor would depend on your order/invoice. And really is independent of Stern's ability to increase prices even though there are orders already forecasted.

#8379 1 year ago

A CCrLE is at Lost Rhino Brewery in Ashburn VA now for the local audience to checkout...

2 weeks later
#8701 1 year ago
Quoted from eharan:

Hopefully I can figure out what is causing the issue and get it resolved.

Make sure tge flippers have somer vertical play/slop and were not installed too tight. Check the eos engagement and ensure they are not engaging too early

#9007 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:You'll hear recommendations for the keyless entry option. I'm not a fan as unless your lock cylinder is super tight or you never bump your coin door, it'll irritate you (and leave your games open to anyone you have over to fiddle with). If you bump your coin door, the catch on the cylinder drops from gravity and your door swings open. Usually mid game and usually during a great game.

Why not just tighten the lock by bending the latch so it holds against the door tighter? Just take a pair of pliers and tweak it. Then the lock will not rotate as easily.

Also most barrel locks will allow you to change the home and rotation so you can make the lock and open positions different. So you can make it so you don’t go down to open. I haven’t looked recently… but i’d expect the same on the keyless ones.

#9029 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

It is however a little concerning to read that a mode may completed in one shot ?

They are basically hurry ups - not a foreign concept. And this isn't every mode.

Do you freak out that AFM has 'modes' that can be completed with a single shot? aka hurry up at the saucer after completing all three lights at a shot? It's basically that game mechanic, but more advanced.

The short answer is.. 'mode' is not the right descriptor for these game mechanics.

The game is pretty shallow - always has been. The CGC code flushes out the game more so there are less gaps, but it's essentially the same core WMS game. It's in the same vein as AFM, MM, MB, SS in terms of rules/complexity. Do a bunch of stuff to try to get completion goals.

#9032 1 year ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Here's a super short video showing the trough "shim" that can make sure the balls always roll down to the end. This issue is due to the original design of the Williams trough

It's not due to the original design of the Williams trough - it was a fix for wear issues in the trough. The reason for the shim's invention was to deal with the trough forming divots that would prevent the balls from falling down reliably. The fix was to file out the deformations so balls would fall freely - this shim was invented to be the simpler solution for those non-mechanically inclined. The plastic just spans the wear area and doesn't wear itself the same.

There should be no reason for this in a new game unless the trough itself is not formed properly.. or edges causing the ball not to roll. It shouldn't have divots or edges preventing the balls from dropping reliably in a new game.

Kerry's trough design was an example of how the open slot design was re-imagined into something that didn't wear into divots - http://www.mantisamusements.com/trough.htm

#9086 1 year ago

Looks like our trough switch issue was the wiring harness pinning. Found if i wiggle the connector or the main board end it would bounce the switch. The header looks fine and moving the shell wouldn’t introduce any bounce… only pulling on the wires would. Made the pin contact a bit better and it was stable after that.

1 week later
#9394 1 year ago
Quoted from dog:

Tell me if I’m wrong but If CCr can be upgraded by Lyman’s upcoming code, why couldnt someone clever rewrite CCC or CCEE to update the code on CCr? Or add to original code?

CCr doesn't run the same software/platform that CCC does.

They are different systems that both copied/CCC -- That doesn't make them themselves the same.

CCr ported the old game to CGC's new OS and platform. The 'Lyman Code' will be built on that platform, not CC.

You're basically stuck with "can I emulate a CGC CC remake" not "can I run lyman code on proc because it already runs CC"

#9496 1 year ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

Question - are any current owners experiencing this? When the ball comes out of the mine and rolls over what looks to be an opto rollover my bad guy moves as if he was hit. I'm unsure if it's actually crediting a hit or its just creating movement of the bad guy for effect and is supposed to do that.
If it's not are there any suggestions as I looked under the playfield and didn't see any immediate reason for this happening.
Thanks!

When the ball is ejected out of the mine through the back... the bad guy triggers and a sound effect. Intentional

1 week later
#9787 1 year ago
Quoted from srmonte:

And for those who do not know PPS owns all B/W liscencing. CGC only assembles games. The first MMR's back in 2013 were assembled by stern not CGC

Cgc also design, engineer, and reimagine the games in new ways. It would be far more accurate to limit PPS’s role in the remake story than it would be to try to limit CGCs.

And while stern was involved in assembly for MMR - it was by CGC not instead of CGC. After stern jerked them around they setup their own assembly line.

They were still assembling a game engineered, sourced, and organized by cgc

#9823 1 year ago
Quoted from Rockbiter:

Me too, the worry is real as you unbox it to look for a damaged cabinet!
I have what I hope is a really dumb question. Fired up the machine and none of the solenoids work. No flippers, no rough eject, etc. Anyone care to share what I should check first?

coin door switch and then look in manual for 48V circuit fuses and check those for being intact.

3 weeks later
#10279 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

My impression was always that Doug wanted to see if it was/is a widespread practice so they could take steps to prevent it with FUTURE titles, leaving the clear impression there was nothing they could do against Betson (or anyone else) this time (e.g. no contact restrictions/related terms).
Those that want to take advantage of a seller’s market now may be surprised buyers will have long memories when the pendulum swings back.

I don’t think the manufacturer can ultimately control the price a distributor sells at. They can set advertising limits and can change their posture to a distributor based on terms in their reseller agreements- but I don’t think they can directly limit their sales price. So it’s more a game of carrots then sticks. He can only take the carrot away for the future.

But he’s basically shown he has no direct means to limit the behavior… and the previous policy touted was more of a suggestion and not restriction.

1 month later
#11379 1 year ago
Quoted from alveolus:

But why not code it into a video mode for the SE version?

So the topper has more distinct value?

1 week later
#11581 1 year ago
Quoted from audihere:

Can anyone get some accurate measurements on their cabinet?

just measure the inside cabinet dimension side to side and groove to groove. Should be an easy reference for them to cross check.

2 months later
#12767 10 months ago
Quoted from monkeybug:

Does anyone know the status of the upgraded code that was being worked on by Lyman/Sharpe awhile back?

By now you should have learned. With CGC you get no news you can count on until something is literally leaving the building. Any stories of 'when' in terms of 'sooner' are pretty much worthless. Any estimate will be blown away without a peep from the company.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bristol, CT
$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,999 (OBO)
$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 210.00
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 39.95
Hardware
RavSpec

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
St. Petersburg, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-club-new-sheriffs-in-town?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.