(Topic ID: 310125)

Cactus Canyon Remake Club - New Sheriffs in Town! (with FAQs)

By jfh

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,417 posts
  • 756 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 384 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which version have you ordered and/or received?”

• Limited Edition [LE] 333 votes
    51%
  • Special Edition with Wild West topper [SE+] 103 votes
    16%
  • Special Edition [SE] 218 votes
    33%

(654 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2145 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2139 (resized).jpeg
20240415_145651 (resized).jpg
IMG_5053 (resized).jpg
IMG_5068 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240408_083646_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_031213_Drive (resized).jpg
AE50EDD5-0A2D-4824-883B-9B097D38C6FF (resized).jpeg
86B25964-BA83-413E-9949-4511DE3D5375 (resized).jpeg
Reward issue switches (resized).jpg
shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif
Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1816 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240324-141652 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Cactus Canyon Remake FAQ (Part 1) Game Information Posted by jfh (2 years ago)

Post #836 Demonstration videos of Topper Shootout mode Posted by jfh (2 years ago)

Post #3286 Leg crimp fix Posted by PM_Jeremy (1 year ago)

Post #9030 Trough fix Posted by PM_Jeremy (1 year ago)

Post #9386 John Youssi’s initial idea sketch for the playfield art Posted by jtaudio (1 year ago)

Post #9938 Game play stream of LE with topper (dedicated topper cam) Posted by joelbob (1 year ago)

Post #10737 Sensor Trouble shooting guide Posted by jfh (1 year ago)

Post #11888 Adjusting inlane guides to minimize ball hop Posted by alveolus (12 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tranquilize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 2 years ago

Great start to this thread. Thanks for the detailed summary of current info.

3 weeks later
#424 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Thinking of joining the club.
I am torn because I prefer games to be on the tough side and reading the comments I gather it might not be much.
Wondering how do you guys are liking the code and if the code will be updated in the future as it had been previously announced?
Sorry it this was discussed before.

Crank the angle, make the slings crazy sensitive and open up the outlanes. Then turn off extra balls and set every setting to the hardest. These adjustments made Twilight zone my favorite machine ever and made totan a keeper.

3 months later
#3496 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

As I wake up this morning I realize I am still bitter. Bitter about my ruined decals. Yep, I am still bitter about it.

I get it. You're only going to get brand new legs and brand new decals for your man-toy of privilege, both mailed to you free of charge. What a rip.

You know what really chaps most guy's assess? NOBODY installs those decals. They sit rolled the fuck up in a tube. So ya gotta sit there with your craft beer and deluxe pizza and look at those scrapes, cuts and bubbles on that 8 mutha-fuckin-K man-toy.

I'd post the same damn complaint on internet for weeks is this happened to me. Fuckin' fuck! I just wanna kick a fucking kitten for ya! Aaaaaar!

#3510 1 year ago

It's all good to be upset with manufacturer screw ups, but life must go on. Check out my post in the ultraman thread if you want to see an epic qc fail. But I took my raping and moved on after a short discussion. Hell, I even included some positivity. I like spooky, but I had to spend an entire day on my brand new 12k CAD machine.

4 weeks later
#4371 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Asking here because this is my first new machine by anyone. When should I do the first wax job on the pf and ramps? Currently at around 140 plays. House is fairly’ dust-free..fairly.

50/50 water alcohol mix works for glass and pf cleaning. It evaporates immediately and leaves nothing behind like other cleaners. Get a big squirt bottle and some microfiber cloths. That's all you need. You almost never need to change balls or wax modern machines. Most 90s games didn't have fresh balls for over a decade and were fine.

1 week later
#4530 1 year ago

No LEs? Pinside be like...

Crying-Girl-Runs-Into-Wall.gifCrying-Girl-Runs-Into-Wall.gif
#4607 1 year ago

But we already have clear evidence that there will be no updates... Most of us have other pins to play in the meantime.

#4624 1 year ago

I like the wait.

#4641 1 year ago

Why don't you guys harass CGC for a bit so we can have a break. The games will come when they come. Don't like it? Too bad!!!

#4713 1 year ago

wp4123013.jpgwp4123013.jpg

1 week later
#4979 1 year ago

Anyone heard any news on when the LEs won't be shipped?

#5026 1 year ago

Start putting up your LEs for sale then. Many people missed out.

10 months later
#12977 9 months ago
Quoted from RTS:

Sounds way too long and repetitive.
Makes me a bit anxious about my order.
The extended code was the selling point for me. Just wish there was a more definitive timeframe for it.

Just do what I'm going to do before I play a single game:

- Jack up the back so there is just under 1\2 inch of threads showing on the inside of the legs, the sweet spot to speed up w/b games.

- Open the Outlanes to their max

- adjust the slings so there is only a 1mm gap. Adjust outward if you get misfires.

- Go through the settings one at a time with the manual and adjust everything to its hardest setting.

- Seeing that ppl are finishing the game on one ball, turn off extra balls. Use them for points instead.

This will make the game fun and challenging out of the box.

1 month later
#13588 8 months ago

Just unboxed my LE and played about 20 games. Only needed to adjust the mine a little out of box. Topper adds quite a bit and the game is crazy fun. With outlanes open and high pf angle, my game is not easy. I haven't even hardened up the rules yet.

20230822_123918 (resized).jpg20230822_123918 (resized).jpg

#13592 8 months ago

So, I think I know the game well now and can see one major flaw: the adjustments are far too limited.

It would be great if you could remove complete mode option for skill shot.

Number of shots for modes should be adjustable. Eg. 6 instead of 3 for"hard" setting.

Does Chicago update code or is this 100% final for this version?

#13640 8 months ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

It's a skill shot. Use your skill to avoid the "complete mode" options. LOL. Seriously it's all strategy. Sometimes I want the points and sometimes I just want to get High Noon quicker or I have another objective.

Having to avoid parts of a game rather than having options to adjust represents a pretty big issue.

I actually don't mind the overall code and have found a decent balance of setup and settings, but I can't wrap my head around the lack of adjustments. It would take very little time to add adjustments for mode shots required and to make the skill shot & bounty awards less generous. I'll have to try tournament mode. Maybe that will help. The game just wants to give everything away, and the user should be able to turn all of that off. I don't want free modes or extra balls for no reason.

But it looks like more adjustments will never be coming, which is a shame. Compared to all other W/B games of the same era, this game is scant in that department.

#13693 8 months ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Guys. It’s a remake. The adjustments are the same as the OG.
Maybe the expanded code upgrade will give us more control.

You do realize that it's a remake that had incomplete code, right? There are far less adjustments than b/w games of the same era. It takes very little time to code adjustments, so I'm perplexed as to why they wouldn't add them.

#13697 7 months ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I can chime in on this a bit. Any changes to code need to be tested thoroughly. Some things which I have added to code, which I thought would be no big deal, have exposed other issues that needed to be fixed. I am not saying this always happens, but it does more times than not. Service menu adjustments look pretty easy to code too, but depending on what you are adjusting, it could be very complicated. For instance, making an adjustment for "Shaker Motor on or off", would not be a big deal if your code controlled the shaker at a global level, but if your code controls the shaker at a lower level, then it could be a bunch of work to then change this to a global function and put in an adjustment for it at a global level. Either way, this requires a bunch of regression testing to make sure you did not miss anything or screw up something else in the code along the way. Even the best coders on the planet (not me by a long shot), have bugs that need to be found and fixed.
Also, as sad as it is, there needs to be a time where you call the project complete and only go back and fix things that are major issues. I would love all the developers to work on these games forever, it is just not a reasonable ask.
--Scott

Yeah, I can see that, and I'm a very junior pinball coder, but from what I've experienced, changing mode award requirements, like award shot 1 when shot 1 is made twice instead of once etc. would be pretty easy. Removing extra balls and mode awards from skill shot would be easy too. I can't see either of these creating bugs if the current code is bug free, but bugs are called bugs for a reason.

Either way, I'm a bit surprised at the scant adjustments, which is admittedly something I've always taken for granted in the previous w/b games I've owned.

#13724 7 months ago

I enjoyed the 2 year wait for my LE. I learned that I'm way more patient than a lot of other people in the hobby. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

#13754 7 months ago
Quoted from Pinball-Cruiser:

Just got my SE+ today, can anyone tell me if Bart's hat is supposed to reset immediately after it comes off, is seems to be stuck in the up position. Thinking the post connected to the hat may need lubrication?

If your post needs lubrication, you're not doing it right.

The post likely needs a slight bend to prevent rubbing. Aside from motors, almost nothing in pinball should take lube.

#13756 7 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Except for waiting for years to get your game

Yes, and for that, you'll need pure silicone.

#13759 7 months ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

I took it a step further and mirror poilshed the hat shaft to remove any minor snags and grain. With just a dab of grease, it works perfectly.

That grease will eventually collect metal and rubber dust and make things worse. I don't want to think about the amount of old crusty lube I've had to clean off various shafts.

2 weeks later
#13896 7 months ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Joined the Club! Got my LE set up today. Gorgeous game. So well built and the attention to detail is amazing. However I played maybe 6 games and already this… bionic Bart, topper mode (twice), all the inserts and High Noon complete. So is that it with the “extended” code? Nothing more to do? I’ve never actually done everything on a game in just 6 games. Maybe I missed something or is there a 2nd or 3rd high noon?
[quoted image]

I did the same thing. Finished everything in less than ten games. It's a good intro, but adjustments make the game way better.

Here is my setup. Defaults are in parenthesis. Hopefully this will help others as well:

---------------------------------------------------------------
--------- C A C T U S ~ C A N Y O N ~ S E T U P ---------
---------------------------------------------------------------

PHYSICAL GAME ADJUSTMENTS
-- Set PF to 8.5 degrees. Very steep
-- Set all sling leaf switches to 1mm

STANDARD RULE ADJUSTMENTS
-- Max EX B Count: 1
-- Game restart - Never - just say no to ball one restarts!

FEATURE RULE ADJUSTEMENTS
-- Ball save time - 7 (4) - Skill shot sucks up a bunch of time.
-- Q-Draw Difficulty: Extra Hard
-- Light Quick Draw Difficulty: Hard
-- Q-Draws for EXB: Off
-- Combos for star: 12 (10)
-- Num bart bros: 4 (3) - this makes a huge difference
-- Polly EXB: No
-- Gun Fight Time: 3 (6) - You get ONE shot, two if you get an instant rebound. Waaaaaaay better.

REMAKE RULE ADJUSTEMENTS
-- Bart Bros EX B: Off

LIGHTING
-- PF LED Brightness: -1
-- Backbox Brightness: -2
-- Gun Flasher Brightness: -3

----------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------

I have yet to finish the game with this setup after about 100 plays. The steep angle and sensitive slings make it very challenging, so much that I actually didn't have to open the outlanes. The extra Bart bro makes it pretty tough, and with this setup, I usually don't get 15 beer mugs to light the only extra ball available. If I'm close, I'll shoot for the beer mug, which often kills me. It's a great balance with this setup. Personally, I'd rather have more adjustments for the modes, but I really like the way my game is playing.

#13943 7 months ago

For those of you that have really tight lock down bars. I fixed mine by adjusting the screws and pushing upward in the yellow handle as you lock it in place. Other b/w games of the past randomly have this issue. Very easy fix.

1 week later
#14055 6 months ago
Quoted from whiteyjfm:

Not sure how to post pictures, but if you take the lock down bar out, the 2 tabs that go down into the pin, need to be bend a bit. In my case, towards the front of the pin if looking at it from above.

I had the same issue. All I had to do is push up on the yellow handle before I slid it closed.

#14064 6 months ago

Finally finished the game with my adjusted setup. Wow. I never expected much from this game due to code, but is the perfect balance of frustration and reward when adjusted properly. Nothing beats 90s W/B.

#14081 6 months ago

Anyone have their quick draw settings on extra hard? The book says the stand-up targets change colors as you get closer to lighting quick draw. Mine just stay lit white and the inserts stay flashing until quick draw is lit. I'm not sure how to make sense of any sort of progression when playing.

#14121 6 months ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

That news came from this thread…

But doesn't it sound more official on a different website?

#14144 6 months ago
Quoted from Mageek:

I also have this happen

I think there is a bug in the code for ball search. I get it sometimes right after switch hits.

2 weeks later
#14257 5 months ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Finally got High Noon last night! Lookin forward to new code for sure!
Question on the topper game, can you “Win” and if so how?
I typically get to like 18 bad guys…..

"On to the next town, boys"

4 weeks later
#14461 5 months ago
Quoted from fixintoplay:

I have a new issue on my SE during multiball: the shooter can't eject the ball(s) more than a few inches, so they collect in the shooter lane and bobble up and down with each pulse. I checked the launch assembly itself and it operates fine manually. Then, in adjustments menu I upped the auto-launch solenoid from factory default setting to MAX, and that corrected the problem. But the question is why? Then I tried to run the solenoid tests, but could only enter REPEAT mode which just beeps for each solenoid but none activate. I was unable to enter the RUN mode in this test. Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Probably something to do with the way the coil pulses. I adjusted mine to max -1 or something in the adjustments menu. Can't remember. Either way, mine was/is inconsistent as well, so it's likely in the design somewhere.

2 weeks later
#14547 4 months ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Thanks guys! apprecaite the oppinions. There is a local location not too far away that has one so I will take some time to drop some coins on one and get some playing time in before making a final decision.

Remember that if you're a decent player, the game will need setup and rule adjustments. I didn't really like the game out of box. I LOVE the game after adjusting it.

#14554 4 months ago
Quoted from Damonator:

No - they are currently making the European games according to Ryan.

But there is a delay in shipping because they're trying to figure out where Europe is.

#14610 4 months ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Anyone have details of adding a bit more light to the center of the playfield without the use of pinstadiums?

Headlamp?

#14621 4 months ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Thanks for your input

It was a light-hearted joke. Sheesh. Don't be so pickly about it.

#14640 4 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I bought some. Just haven't put them on yet.
I wish the code allowed you to change them to keep them on instead of strobing.

You can also turn them down in the settings. I'm at -3 and play with the lights off.

3 weeks later
#14840 3 months ago

The good news is that it's sounds like a small issue. I've had far worse nib experiences. Good luck!

#14886 3 months ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Found the issue….
First off I did not mention here my first issue with the BNIB CCr LE, that being when I unpacked the game, I found that the larger black cable-tidy that goes from the backbox and into the playfield was so F’ing tight that it was almost snapping!
Needless to say I carefully folded the head back and then checked the connectors in the backbox, sure enough who ever the clown was on the CGC packing line they had ripped two connectors out in the backbox, that had resulted in bending most of the pins on those connectors.
I had to gently bend the pins back in place to get the connectors back on.
So much for QA and testing of machine before they go out.
So onto the issue, tonight I replaced the coil and got the same problem.
I found in the menu for coils that the left hold would not fire, so started looking at the grey/white wire, and lo and behold due to the way the idiots at CGC had folded the head down during packing the grey/white wire had been stripped back to bare wire by a cable-tie, whilst other wires look OK, but you can see and feel that due to the tightness of the cables others have got pretty big indentations!
With the bare wire it allowed me to meter to the coil, that was fine, then to meter to the power board, and I got an odd reading i.e. not straight through but resistance!
So I examined the wire all the way from the bare point back to the power board and it looks fine, although with me having to pull and trace it now reads as a break!
Tomorrow I will replace the broken wire and hope that it is fixed.
My worry is with the way CGC packed the game am I going to get issues in time with other wires?
CGC what a F’ing joke!
Needless to say I am not happy with the situation!

Sounds like a packing issue after QC. Chill, man. They will make it right if your fix does 't work. NIB is almost never without at least one or two issues.

#14935 3 months ago

Looks like I'm in the bad motor club (sounds like a biker gang). Just submitted my ticket. For those of you who have done the motor swap, is it a PITA?

1 week later
#14986 76 days ago

I've played old, dark W/B games with shit incandescent bulbs that are black from years of neglect with zero issue seeing the ball. I also have relatively crappy eyes. I empathize with those having issues, but I'm also baffled by it.

1 week later
#15114 63 days ago

I'll see your 2025 and raise you a year.

1 week later
#15184 50 days ago
Quoted from Heavyk:

I was going to do some lit flipper buttons, but I'm having a hard time picking a color. Any ideas or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

I'd just play the game...

P.S. no one in real life likes me.

3 weeks later
#15248 29 days ago

Trading stocks is a great life lesson. Lose your hard-earned money by being impatient and you'll learn patience in a lightning strike.

Josh: take your time and do a good job. I'll enjoy my LE while I wait.

#15315 27 days ago

I've always assumed there would be a good chance I'll be priced out of the upgrade. 1k and under is what I want. There's a good chance I won't get what I want... It is pinball, afterall.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Blue Bell, PA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

$ 39.95
Hardware
RavSpec

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 210.00
$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Trade
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tranquilize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-club-new-sheriffs-in-town?tu=Tranquilize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.