(Topic ID: 310125)

Cactus Canyon Remake Club - New Sheriffs in Town! (with FAQs)

By jfh

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,415 posts
  • 756 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by rockrand
  • Topic is favorited by 384 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which version have you ordered and/or received?”

• Limited Edition [LE] 333 votes
    51%
  • Special Edition with Wild West topper [SE+] 103 votes
    16%
  • Special Edition [SE] 218 votes
    33%

(654 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2145 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2139 (resized).jpeg
20240415_145651 (resized).jpg
IMG_5053 (resized).jpg
IMG_5068 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240408_083646_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_031213_Drive (resized).jpg
AE50EDD5-0A2D-4824-883B-9B097D38C6FF (resized).jpeg
86B25964-BA83-413E-9949-4511DE3D5375 (resized).jpeg
Reward issue switches (resized).jpg
shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif
Screenshot_20240324_221804_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_1816 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240324-141652 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,415 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 309.
#3901 1 year ago

Tossed the Brian Allen side art blades on today. They looks awesome!
Still bitter about my ruined cabinet decals though. BITTER

2E8CD2D4-5561-49C8-ACEF-3058AF9CB0FC (resized).jpeg2E8CD2D4-5561-49C8-ACEF-3058AF9CB0FC (resized).jpegCDD3B4AC-F3DD-4106-9610-3B7CFD1574E2 (resized).jpegCDD3B4AC-F3DD-4106-9610-3B7CFD1574E2 (resized).jpegF41881C3-F95A-45B9-BE23-4CA0A7D70E40 (resized).jpegF41881C3-F95A-45B9-BE23-4CA0A7D70E40 (resized).jpeg
#3902 1 year ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I was hoping CGC would offer the classic edition and I would have been fine with that.

I figure there was no CE this time because of a combination of things:
1) not enough relative demand compared to SE/LE

2) not enough cost savings between a standard and XL DMD (and having two different assemblies) to allow for much of a price delta between CE and SE.

3) Rewriting the OS presumed an XL display and, since there was no longer straight emulation, new dots for the CE would be needed (adding cost)

#3903 1 year ago

The blue flipper rubbers go nicely.

#3904 1 year ago

Topper is definitely cool. Got to play topper mode at Pintastic. Nice break from the action. Would have loved to get an LE but just sold out too quickly and I wasn’t paying 1250 just for a topper. My other CGCs don’t have toppers either so I’ve already forgotten about it. Playing the snot out of our game. Thoroughly happy with it as is. Added the alternative art because I was never a fan of the original translite.

#3905 1 year ago

Hmmm, was under the PF diagnosing an intermittent issue when I decided to look at the slingshot switches behind the mine.
20220718_204801 (resized).jpg20220718_204801 (resized).jpg
I reached around to the top side & felt around & thoughtn hmm that feels weird. Think I found one reason why the slingshot doesn't do much on my game. 20220718_204608 (resized).jpg20220718_204608 (resized).jpg

#3906 1 year ago
Quoted from PM_Jeremy:

Hmmm, was under the PF diagnosing an intermittent issue when I decided to look at the slingshot switches behind the mine.
[quoted image]
I reached around to the top side & felt around & thoughtn hmm that feels weird. Think I found one reason why the slingshot doesn't do much on my game. [quoted image]

Missing something…

#3907 1 year ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

Missing something…

Leaf blade is on the wrong side of the rubber ring in the picture on top side of playfield.

LTG : )

#3908 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Any proposed resolution from CGC?

#3909 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Leaf blade is on the wrong side of the rubber ring in the picture on top side of playfield.

Ding ding! Give that man a prize

#3910 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I figure there was no CE this time because of a combination of things:
1) not enough relative demand compared to SE/LE
2) not enough cost savings between a standard and XL DMD (and having two different assemblies) to allow for much of a price delta between CE and SE.
3) Rewriting the OS presumed an XL display and, since there was no longer straight emulation, new dots for the CE would be needed (adding cost)

Or they simply realized people were willingly spending 8-9k+ for NIB pins.

#3911 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I've never been bitter but definitely disappointed. Im probably going to take a hit or maybe have a tough time selling her because of the damage but definitely not bitter. I don't even see the issues unless I get down and look closely at them. Lately I'm to the point of, if it can go wrong it will go wrong for me..lol. I'm kinda numb to it now.
Anways, happy Flippin fellas!

#3912 1 year ago
Quoted from polishedball:

What strength are your flipper coils set at? I have looked at changing mine as the train shot needs to be about perfect to make from a catch, but have not even looked where they are factory yet.

My flippers are set wherever they were from CGC. Normally, they have plenty enough zip to them. But after extended playing, they're done for. It needs fans.

#3913 1 year ago

Curious if you have better longevity if you lower the flipper power?
I do this on all CGC games anyways as they feel more like OG BW, usually -4 - and I've never ran into fade, even with a recent 10 hour play day at my house last week.

#3914 1 year ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

Curious if you have better longevity if you lower the flipper power?
I do this on all CGC games anyways as they feel more like OG BW, usually -4 - and I've never ran into fade, even with a recent 10 hour play day at my house last week.

-4 seems way too low, right? I think mine are at +2 or +3. At default I felt the ramp shots had to be perfect to get up the ramp. Can't imagine it at -4.

I do notice coil fade at my current settings after about an hour of play.

#3915 1 year ago

Never has been a problem for me hitting any shots, I keep my pitch at 6.5.
You may also want to check your switch gapping fully extended, and bushing gap to ensure they aren't part of the problem.

#3916 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Hook a sub woofer to it, helps a ton

I will, but I already have a shaker motor
Game changer and it really thumps!

#3917 1 year ago

Longtime Stern fanboy and topper skeptic here. I just cancelled my Godzilla Premium order, and put down $1000 toward a CCSE+. Why did I break character for this game? Well, I just read the last 30 days of posts here (LegsLegsLegs), and I saw no complaints about playfield quality, or protectors getting hammered. Instead I see some minor/fixable switch issues and an ocean of leg posts. I speed-read those after the first 50.

I read the FAQ (all of it!) and I see that CGC is direct-silkscreening their playfields!! It just got better and better the more I read. And as much as I love Stern, their new playfield process is a big turn-off. I don’t know what they changed, but it’s no bueno. I’ve played Godzilla and CC side-by-side, and CC just kept pulling me back in. And 2 close friends just bought Godzilla, while nobody in our circle of friends has CC yet.

Okay, so why the topper? Well, just look at it. It’s beautifully sculpted, interactive, probably a bit overpriced but I couldn’t persuade myself to just get the SE.

I’ll order the Mantis leg protectors now, and hope for an early Christmas from CGC and ClassicGameRooms.

#3918 1 year ago

A little birdie flew in from Cactus Canyon today …

The arms were indeed holding up the topper, as we expected (see what I did there?)

Good news: THE ARMS CAME IN!

Bad news: The arms were too long and the entire batch had to be scrapped and reordered.
Obviously this impacts both SE+/LE games. In addition, there is an issue with an LE specific part.

For those that say just build their game and send the topper later:

Ignoring the cost and logistical issues involved in doing that for both the CGC and their distributors, CGC didn’t go that route because, in part, it would have increased the cost of the topper (e.g. the perceived $1250 difference from the SE) to the customer because it would have been classified as an accessory rather than a game sub-assembly. That’s related to/a function of the licensing agreement (as is apparently the real reason for why there is no Classic Edition. Won’t say more than that other than CGC made the right move).

None of this is “official” but if true I have even more respect for Chicago Gaming than I already did because the decisions benefitted us more than them.

#3919 1 year ago

Oh. Birdie also said CGC is working on the leg issue but doesn’t have a final solution set yet.

#3920 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Oh. Birdie also said CGC is working on the leg issue but doesn’t have a final solution set yet.

Thanks for the massive insight, @jfh!

Did the little birdie mention when the new arms were ordered after overextended initial run was produced? Month ago... week ago... today

#3921 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

The arms were indeed holding up the topper, as we expected (see what I did there?)

Bad news: The arms were too long and the entire batch had to be scrapped and reordered.
Obviously this impacts both SE+/LE games. In addition, there is an issue with an LE specific part.
For those that say just build their game and send the topper later:
Ignoring the cost and logistical issues involved in doing that for both the CGC and their distributors, CGC didn’t go that route because, in part, it would have increased the cost of the topper (e.g. the perceived $1250 difference from the SE) to the customer because it would have been classified as an accessory rather than a game sub-assembly. That’s related to/a function of the licensing agreement (as is apparently the real reason for why there is no Classic Edition. Won’t say more than that other than CGC made the right move).
None of this is “official” but if true I have even more respect for Chicago Gaming than I already did because the decisions benefitted us more than them.

How hard was that? Why not just divulge that at the outset?

#3922 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Longtime Stern fanboy and topper skeptic here. I just cancelled my Godzilla Premium order, and put down $1000 toward a CCSE+. Why did I break character for this game? Well, I just read the last 30 days of posts here (LegsLegsLegs), and I saw no complaints about playfield quality, or protectors getting hammered. Instead I see some minor/fixable switch issues and an ocean of leg posts. I speed-read those after the first 50.
I read the FAQ (all of it!) and I see that CGC is direct-silkscreening their playfields!! It just got better and better the more I read. And as much as I love Stern, their new playfield process is a big turn-off. I don’t know what they changed, but it’s no bueno. I’ve played Godzilla and CC side-by-side, and CC just kept pulling me back in. And 2 close friends just bought Godzilla, while nobody in our circle of friends has CC yet.
Okay, so why the topper? Well, just look at it. It’s beautifully sculpted, interactive, probably a bit overpriced but I couldn’t persuade myself to just get the SE.
I’ll order the Mantis leg protectors now, and hope for an early Christmas from CGC and ClassicGameRooms.

This was supposed to be my game off due to quality precautions. For the record I got hit with the full house. Missing power cord crimped legs, damaged decals and a chipped playfied. All in 37 plays as my game sits awaiting new legs that don't seem to be coming i know perception is reality but I assure you the Titanic can sink.

#3923 1 year ago
Quoted from Zukidog:

Thanks for the massive insight, jfh!
Did the little birdie mention when the new arms were ordered after overextended initial run was produced? Month ago... week ago... today

I think the birdie was tired after talking so long and I did not follow up on that. Sorry. However, I’m no longer expecting my LE before my birthday.

#3924 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

However, I’m no longer expecting my LE before my birthday.

When is your birthday?

#3925 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I see that CGC is direct-silkscreening their playfields!!

A long history of that. Lenc Smith became Churchill Cabinet Company ( Doug's Father, made cabinets and playfield for Williams ) became Chicago Gaming company.

Been doing a good job for a long time.

#3926 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I would hate to be manufacturing anything these days. And not just pinball. Suppliers disappearing. Finding new sources. New or old sources causing delays or making mistakes.

What a nightmare.

Quoted from jfh:

I have even more respect for Chicago Gaming than I already did because the decisions benefitted us more than them.

Doug Duba cares. That says a lot about a company.

#3927 1 year ago
Quoted from alveolus:

How hard was that? Why not just divulge that at the outset?

Just a guess here - because it would have exposed sausage making that almost no one cares about and created a villain that doesn’t deserve to be a villain. It certainly would have benefitted CGC tremendously both with the LE delay and even more when toppergate exploded. But CGC took the heat and did what was best for their customers. That’s why I went “Wow!” and gave CGC extra credit.

#3928 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Doug Duba cares. That says a lot about a company.

I’m sorry I can only upvote that once.

#3929 1 year ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

This was supposed to be my game off due to quality precautions. For the record I got hit with the full house. Missing power cord crimped legs, damaged decals and a chipped playfied. All in 37 plays as my game sits awaiting new legs that don't seem to be coming i know perception is reality but I assure you the Titanic can sink.

It does seem like you got a run of bad luck. I haven’t seen any other posts here about chipped clear (we get those all the time in the Stern threads, which I think is why they went to a much thinner clearcoat).

#3930 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’m sorry I can only upvote that once.

What is your new guess for the LE pins??

#3931 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

When is your birthday?

I knew that question was going to be a popular one. Maybe I should put the answer in the FAQ.

I don’t want to say because it’s totally speculative on my part but:
- I haven’t had my birthday yet this year
- It isn’t for at least 30 days
- It’s sooner rather than later
- the month ends in “er”

#3932 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It does seem like you got a run of bad luck. I haven’t seen any other posts here about chipped clear (we get those all the time in the Stern threads, which I think is why they went to a much thinner clearcoat).

I agree and as dumb as it sounds I'm not scared off yet! I actually put my name down for a MMr and AFMr should they ever run again..lol! Oh this hobby hah! I think my picture is in this thread tho it's small and somewhat hidden it's not just clear it went down to the wood taking off art took my breath away when i noticed it...

#3933 1 year ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

Quoted from swampfire:

Jason at Classic Game Rooms is fantastic. Got my Rush Prem from him, recommend. But I know what you’re talking bout with the Sterns right now, my Rush has that almost planking looking effect to it under the clearcoat. Can’t see it while you’re playing, but when you look from the right angle…. And the wait for the expression lights is getting ridiculous. They’re running LZ Prem right now with expression lights on em while my Rush Prem has none and I still can’t even purchase them.

#3934 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I am guessing there is a problem with the wood apron....

#3935 1 year ago
Quoted from sizzler747:

I am guessing there is a problem with the wood apron....

Pretty sure its just thin wood over a standard metal arch so I cant see that being much of an issue.

#3936 1 year ago

I am happy to say my leg drama is now a thing of the past!

#3937 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

I am happy to say my leg drama is now a thing of the past!

Did you find a good fix, or just feelin better about it now?

#3938 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Did you find a good fix, or just feelin better about it now?

Sold it!

#3939 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I knew that question was going to be a popular one. Maybe I should put the answer in the FAQ.
I don’t want to say because it’s totally speculative on my part but:
- I haven’t had my birthday yet this year
- It isn’t for at least 30 days
- It’s sooner rather than later
- the month ends in “er”

My birthday is in October, not looking good.

11/2 will be 1 year anniversary of my deposit.

#3940 1 year ago

You going to replace. Or

Quoted from chillme:

He said sooner than later, septembER is sooner, so hoping. Sold my se today, waiting for LE now.

#3941 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

You going to replace.

Nah. Already beat the game and knowing CGC’s ability to keep time-frames the new code will be a long time away. Think this game has run through my system completely. Fastest game ever in and out! Too shallow. Leg debacle ruined any remaining scraps of interest I had for the game.
It’s a cute game, but meh.

#3942 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

He said sooner than later, septembER is sooner, so hoping. Sold my se today, waiting for LE now.

unfortunately everything is a guess as it has been since the beginning. I am hoping to see mine by the end of the year at this point. Will be worth the wait.

#3943 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

I don't buy that for a moment. If they left out a part and shipped it to you separately it would not reclassify how it was sold, etc. It's warranty.

I think the issue is they are scared about classifying the game as complete so they can actually invoice for the game, then trying to account separately for the topper later.. thus triggering issues. I don't believe at all that the interested parties could not come to an agreement to not pursue a challenge on something that is obviously honest compensation for a manufacturing issue. IOUs are not uncommon these days in other products with the supply chain issues many industries were facing.

And 'logistical issues' - it's simply a matter of getting a list and shipping the same thing to everyone. It's not hard to say "if you can't give me an address, you don't get a game until later" and stick to the guns of simply dealing with the original buyers.

It all still sounds to me like "we don't wanna"

#3944 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I think the issue is they are scared about classifying the game as complete so they can actually invoice for the game, then trying to account separately for the topper later.

Nope. Not an accounting exercise. I’m not going to say more because I like it when I hear from the birdie.

Much more likely this was a customer friendly decision that allowed for a lower total sales price for anyone that wanted both the game and the topper.

Quoted from flynnibus:

It all still sounds to me like "we don't wanna"

Let me just say that there were a whole lot more discussion about the logistics involved than you covered. Not as easy as you make it sound (or frankly as I originally thought). It sure sounded like CGC was way more “we wanna but we shouldn’t” than anywhere near “we don’t wanna”.

#3945 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I haven’t seen any other posts here about chipped clear (we get those all the time in the Stern threads, which I think is why they went to a much thinner clearcoat).

Sterns next round of cost cutting:

If no clearcoat is put on it can’t chip. Done and done. Every next title ships with a sample sized carnauba wax.

#3946 1 year ago
Quoted from chillme:

I hear ya. My deposit was 10/29. But could be worse.

There are customers that have had a deposit down on Elvira Premium since at least as early as January 2021 waiting for Stern to start their games so some of them are going to be around the 2 year timeframe.

#3947 1 year ago
Quoted from MooButt:

Jason at Classic Game Rooms is fantastic.

Yeah he’s a good dude, and has an actual warehouse unlike a lot of other distros. I bought my Stranger Things from him, great experience all around.

#3948 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Nope. Not an accounting exercise. I’m not going to say more because I like it when I hear from the birdie.
Much more likely this was a customer friendly decision that allowed for a lower total sales price for anyone that wanted both the game and the topper.

Again.. a 'lower price' only becomes a factor when you buy into the first explanation. I don't find it convincing. These are not adversarial partners involved here. I get they can't make it an 'option' and the consequences about that.. but changing how you ship it doesn't make something an option or accessory. Especially since they already ship toppers as separate pieces to start with - just in the same shipment. I just don't find the excuse convincing.

Quoted from jfh:

Let me just say that there were a whole lot more discussion about the logistics involved than you covered. Not as easy as you make it sound (or frankly as I originally thought). It sure sounded like CGC was way more “we wanna but we shouldn’t” than anywhere near “we don’t wanna”.

Most problems sound hard when you focus on the 'why nots' instead of 'how can we'. Between CGC and their distributors they have no problem finding the person to pay for the game.. so I don't buy that it's that much harder to assemble the list of buyers to ship to. If data export is that big of a problem for some distros, exclude them from the program and make them wait for a combined shipment. Those that can meet the requirements.. congrats we will help you and us by getting those games out quicker.

Reality is it would be a huge expense because shipping their topper boxes are expensive, plus weeks of work. This is not easy work when you don't have a lot of staff doing this kind of stuff anyways. It presents a lot of challenges - but isn't undoable. It's just a heck of a lot easier for them to just sit and wait and make the customer 'wait until its perfect' -- just like CGC has always done.

The real push would come if they had other cascading impacts in the factory in terms of delays causing other scheduling or space issues. But that hasn't been much of an issue with them previously... and there doesn't look like anything challenging that now either.

I get it.. you got an explanation from someone on the inside... that doesn't necessarily mean you got the clean story. Spin comes from the inside too....

#3949 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I don't find it convincing. … that doesn't necessarily mean you got the clean story. Spin comes from the inside too....

No disrespect, but I don’t really care what you think about this. I’ve known this source for a long time. He’s very well connected across the industry and respected and has always been straight with me. He has never told me anything over the years I later found to be incorrect (i.e. great track record). And he told me a lot more than I posted.

Could it be spin? Sure. But I wouldn’t take that bet.

Since you have all the answers why don’t you move up from being an operator and manage logistics for one of the pinball manufacturers or become a distributor and just show everyone how things should be done?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RavSpec

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 210.00
$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 39.95
Hardware
RavSpec

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
Cabinet - Other
Jorge’s Arcade Mods

There are 15,415 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 309.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-club-new-sheriffs-in-town/page/79?hl=bud and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.